Cougar Town Forums

Tuesday 9:30 PM on TBSBetween Seasons

Do You Call This a Comedy Because I Don't??

  • Avatar of hell693

    hell693

    [1]Oct 25, 2011
    • member since: 09/23/11
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 323

    I watched the whole first season and didnt laugh at all maybe i dont get the jokes or maybe this show is just not funny and shouldnt be a comedy.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of omelethc

    omelethc

    [2]Nov 8, 2011
    • member since: 04/22/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 11

    If it is not a comedy then how do you classify it? Way more comedy than drama I'd say.


    Some people need a laugh track like they have in 'How I Met Your Mother' to tell them when to laugh. Maybe that is the case here? In any event, there are different styles of comedy which will result in different reactions depending on who you are.


    I don't feel this show is the funniest ever, but it is light and entertaining and some parts I get a real kick out of.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GloriaMorriso

    GloriaMorriso

    [3]Nov 18, 2011
    • member since: 01/11/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 1

    Then you are a sick fuck. It is impossible to watch the first season and not laugh.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mischa

    Mischa

    [4]Dec 6, 2011
    • member since: 11/24/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 4

    I'm with the PP, Cougar Town's is laugh-track free and much more refreshing for me than HIMYM (and I consider myself of fan of HIMYM). Each has a different comedy style, but they are still firmly comic in nature.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Edie70

    Edie70

    [5]Apr 14, 2012
    • member since: 09/06/08
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,406
    Hm, you didn't laugh? Not once? Wow, I feel sorry for you. You must be dead.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fanboy34

    fanboy34

    [6]Apr 14, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/10
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 79

    hell693 wrote:


    I watched the whole first season and didnt laugh at all maybe i dont get the jokes or maybe this show is just not funny and shouldnt be a comedy.


    Why on Earth would a person watch episode number 24 just to see if, maybe after finding a TV show so awful for the first 23 episodes, they might find redeeming value in that last one? I'm guessing you're using a touch of hyperbole or else you have some personal reason for running down a particular show. The humor on Cougar Town is aimed at a certain type of adult audience I grant you. It's not heavy on the flatulence jokes and canned laughs like some highly rated sitcoms, but, there's room for a show like this.


    One of the features I like on the show is that they advance certain story arcs over the entire series rather than just having 22-minute "situations" that get wrapped up tidily before credits roll. Sure, if you don't follow these broader story threads, you're going to miss out on many of the sharper edges of the show's humor, but, don't let me try to sell you on the show, I have a feeling your agenda lies elsewhere.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [7]May 17, 2012
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927
    hell693 wrote:

    I watched the whole first season and didnt laugh at all maybe i dont get the jokes or maybe this show is just not funny and shouldnt be a comedy.


    Well; if you don't "Find It Funny", then they should cancel it, because clearly you speak for everybody. Did you know that there are other channels on you Talkin' Picture Box?. If I didn't like a show, I would just simply not watch it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [8]May 29, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    Wow, why do you get so mad at hell693?


    Okay, of course you can say "If you don't like it, then don't watch it." But: before you can say whether you like something or not, you have to try it. I watched two episodes (some of the first, I think) and I didn't think it was funny either. Do I have to insult people who like it? No. The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TomVanassche

    TomVanassche

    [9]May 30, 2012
    • member since: 06/26/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 3

    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.



    Maybe I missed it, but can you please show me where exactly the OP ask anyone what they think about it? I've read his post a couple of times and I'm pretty sure it's just a statement about how he dislikes the show, no questions anywhere.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Paranoimia

    Paranoimia

    [10]May 30, 2012
    • member since: 07/25/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 13
    I'd have to ask why you watch it then, especially all 24 episodes of the first season.

    I watched 2 episodes of 30 Rock and didn't even so much as smile, so I haven't watched any more.

    I never can understand why people watch entire series of shows they don't enjoy. Presumably, it's just to moan about them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [11]May 30, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    TomVanassche wrote:


    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.



    Maybe I missed it, but can you please show me where exactly the OP ask anyone what they think about it? I've read his post a couple of times and I'm pretty sure it's just a statement about how he dislikes the show, no questions anywhere.


    Hm, yeah, okay, I read it again, it's not really a question, he should have formulated it different. So, I can understand that fans of this show find this offensive but I disliked those comments which were like "You don't like that? You're stupid!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [12]May 31, 2012
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:

    Wow, why do you get so mad at hell693?


    Okay, of course you can say "If you don't like it, then don't watch it." But: before you can say whether you like something or not, you have to try it. I watched two episodes (some of the first, I think) and I didn't think it was funny either. Do I have to insult people who like it? No. The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.


    I'm not a mean person. I will explain myself for you. I have watched shows that I didn't like. I'm sure we all have. I had better things to do then go troll a fan site, and say it's not funny. I feel sorry for this hell693. Cougar Town has a cult following of fans. It's fine if you don't like it. Just go to another show, or get a life.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [13]Jun 1, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    pamhalpert wrote:
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    Wow, why do you get so mad at hell693?


    Okay, of course you can say "If you don't like it, then don't watch it." But: before you can say whether you like something or not, you have to try it. I watched two episodes (some of the first, I think) and I didn't think it was funny either. Do I have to insult people who like it? No. The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.


    I'm not a mean person. I will explain myself for you. I have watched shows that I didn't like. I'm sure we all have. I had better things to do then go troll a fan site, and say it's not funny. I feel sorry for this hell693. Cougar Town has a cult following of fans. It's fine if you don't like it. Just go to another show, or get a life.


    I don't think you're a mean person and I did not mean you in particular.


    "You don't think it's funny? You must be dead." - I meant comments like that. As I said before, I remembered it wrong, hell 693 wasn't very nice in his post but others here responded in a very stupid (my opinion) way.


    Why can't someone say: "Sorry, you're post was disrespectful/rude/whatever but we can discuss this show if you can explain yourself properly." Of course it's fine not to like this (or other) shows. What I wanted to say in the first place was: forums are often full of people who love the show/book/franchise they're talking about and if someone says that he doesn't like it he's attacked by everybody else. But okay, in this case both sides were - for a lack of better words - touchy or nasty.

    Edited on 06/01/2012 10:01am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [14]Jun 2, 2012
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:

    pamhalpert wrote:
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    Wow, why do you get so mad at hell693?


    Okay, of course you can say "If you don't like it, then don't watch it." But: before you can say whether you like something or not, you have to try it. I watched two episodes (some of the first, I think) and I didn't think it was funny either. Do I have to insult people who like it? No. The questioner only asked what people like about this show and I think it's okay to ask that.


    I'm not a mean person. I will explain myself for you. I have watched shows that I didn't like. I'm sure we all have. I had better things to do then go troll a fan site, and say it's not funny. I feel sorry for this hell693. Cougar Town has a cult following of fans. It's fine if you don't like it. Just go to another show, or get a life.


    I don't think you're a mean person and I did not mean you in particular.


    "You don't think it's funny? You must be dead." - I meant comments like that. As I said before, I remembered it wrong, hell 693 wasn't very nice in his post but others here responded in a very stupid (my opinion) way.


    Why can't someone say: "Sorry, you're post was disrespectful/rude/whatever but we can discuss this show if you can explain yourself properly." Of course it's fine not to like this (or other) shows. What I wanted to say in the first place was: forums are often full of people who love the show/book/franchise they're talking about and if someone says that he doesn't like it he's attacked by everybody else. But okay, in this case both sides were - for a lack of better words - touchy or nasty.


    It just really baffles me that in a world where we all have 100 plus channels to choose from; people will go to a fan site of a show they don't like and try to be inflammatory. I'm in my 30's; so I don't understand these losers who take time out of their day to try to start crap on a message board. Go read a book, or perhaps get off the computer for 5 minutes a day. I know I have alot of posts, but that is over a 6 year period.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheena-Lynn

    Sheena-Lynn

    [15]Jun 2, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 21

    pamhalpert wrote:
    Sheena-Lynn wrote:


    It just really baffles me that in a world where we all have 100 plus channels to choose from; people will go to a fan site of a show they don't like and try to be inflammatory. I'm in my 30's; so I don't understand these losers who take time out of their day to try to start crap on a message board. Go read a book, or perhaps get off the computer for 5 minutes a day. I know I have alot of posts, but that is over a 6 year period.


    As I said: hell693 didn't start this discussion in a right way. You're right, he didn't ask, his message could have been understood as an insult. Of course, if you recognize after one or two episodes that you don't like this show it's kinda stupid to watch the whole season.


    But still, I don't think that other people had to attack him like that and I think that there can be opposite opinions which can be discussed. But, I say it again: the "discussion" wasn't started correctly. Wink

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.