Count Duckula

The Zombie Awakes

Aired Unknown Feb 16, 1993 on ITV

5.6
  • A good episode but disappointing as the last.

This episode is obviously the last of the Count Duckula series. Because the cartoon was one of those cartoons where each episode was a different story rather that part of a long one, personally I don't think the storyline served as the last ever episode too well. For one, a long scene which involved the characters sleepwalking all the way from Transylvania to Bavaria, was repeated twice, taking up quite a chunk of the episode. And most personally, I don't like how the the whole series ended with Duckula going back to bed and falling asleep 'until the spring is over'. However, I did like this episode overall. In fact, I think it was one of the darkest ones to date, and although somewhat cliched, I did like the theme of 'seeing one's dreams with a machine'. There was quite a bit of action in there too when the experiment went haywire, and when Morphious suddenly barged in the castle [loved the stock music used in that scene]. Overall, I don't think this episode should have been the finale of the series. It just ends so ordinarily, with no victory or no loss, or basically anything major to happen. Definately not the worst of episodes though.