Coupling

Flushed

Aired Unknown May 12, 2000 on BBC Three

• A great start for a great show!

Steve attempts to break up with Jane, who refuses to accept it. Susan and Patrick are also breaking up, although Susan was never certain that they were "together" in the first place. Jane (who Jeff describes as "unflushable") and Steve have a sexual encounter in the ladies' room of the pub, which also happens to be where Susan goes after breaking up with Patrick. Susan and Steve meet, although they had previously as Jeff works with Susan, and Steve asks her out (while in the middle of sex with Jane).
    In classic farce style, Steve intends to break up with Jane once and for all just before dinner with Susan. Jeff is on hand for reasons nobody is quite sure of and Susan arrives early, as her beautician friend Sally canceled her facial appointment in order to have dinner with Patrick... at the same restaurant. The episode ends with Susan showing everyone else a breast - the right one, at Patrick's insistence - and all six having dinner together. As Susan sums it up: "Your ex, my ex. Your best friend, my best friend. Every new relationship has baggage, so why not invite it all out for dinner?"
  • The first episode of an amazing series.

Welcome to the thirty-something world of Coupling! In 'Flushed' we meet Steve, a writer, Jeff, a Welsh accountant, Susan, in Economics, Sally, a beautician, Patrick, in Business, and Jane, in Entertainment. Six wise and worldly people with lots of experiences to share. Did you know Sally had to "Put a daily limit on facial expressions"? and that Steve learned you can "Wash your hands for free in the Ladie's"?
    When is an unflushable....unflushable? Steve's with Jane. He can't stand her. He wants to dump her. She won't let him. Steve meets Susan. He asks her out. He still tries to dump Jane. She still won't let him. THe episode concludes with the showing of a body part. Excellent stuff. Keep watching!
  • A really great beginning

THe very first episode of this great show, is one of the best pilots for any show I have seen. THe opening scene was really weird because my british is somewhat off so I didnt quit grasp what they were saying. In the end I think the conversation did revolve aroud sex but I wasnt sure. We first see steve and jeff talking about Jane, and sally with susan talking about patrick. I saw this episode after I had seen others and i thought susan was talking about steve. I was confused.

the dilemma with steve is that jane is totally crazy and he cant get rid of her. this is because jane offers sex everytime he announces the breakup. jeff calls her an unflushable. i really loved this term and i wish i had more of an oppurtunity to use it but sadly no one i know experiences this problem. steve goes to the bar to try again. susan wants to dump patrick because she feels their relationship is empty and only about sex.

so steve attempts to dump jane but she wont accept it. i was cracking when she refused to accept the breakup. i have never heard about this on any other show and it was just crazy but funny. eventually they end up in the bathroom to have a quickie. meanwhile susan is breaking up patrick. he thought they had something and she knew it was just sex. normally this situation would be from the womens perspective but i enjoyed the reverse of roles. seeing the man as the sexual beast got tiring and seeing the woman only wanting sex made this show much more interesting. he is hurt and susan encounters steve in the bathroom.

the spark is practically instant. i saw it and it was very obvious. they had something, but steve still has jane in the stall. he makes plans with susan and also finishes with jane.

later on at a restaurant hilarity ensues. steve is suppose to meet susan but jeff tags along. we found out earlier they previously had a thing but it didnt go anywhere. jane pops by using some psychotic way of finding steve. she tracked him and at this point I was totally in love with jane and her crazy habits. he tries to get rid of her but susan comes early. uh oh, steve tries to explain his crazy ex to susan but sally and patrick come by. so here we are all six of them, altogether meeting everyone for the first time( well some of them). susan wants everyone to leve and this leads to the best scene in the pilot. jane says she will a breast so that people can leave. of course she was joking but everyone else thinks she is serious. ok she should have never made that offer, she knew jeff and what he is all about. she is hesitant at first but eventually everyone tempts her to show her breast. everyone is awestruck. absolutely great scene. and the ending was great with the line that susan says" every relationship has its baggage why not eat with it." or soemthing tot hat effect. it was a great line and wow did that one word baggage mean a lot for this series.
  • A delightful introduction!

A witty, funny, quick-paced comedy that examines the loves and lives of a couple, their best friends, and their exes.

Susan and Steve- the relatively normal couple at the center of their friends' wacky escapades, though the happy couple have their own bumps to navigate- including their first date!

Sally and Jeff- the best friends of Susan and Steve, respectively. Sally, a beautician, worry about her neck and skin elasticity, while Jeff freezes up an importune moments during dates. Jeff has his own phrases for certain phenomenon, which becomes a funny highlight of most episodes. Sally's political with strict ideas of what she'll allow herself.

Jane and Patrick- the exes of Steve and Susan, respectively. Two of the most self-involved people seen outside of Seinfeld. Patrick has attributes that help only so far, but he's often as thick as a pit of quicksand. Jane just lives in a reality just next door and slightly overlapping ours. She can also be quite meanly catty and cutting, but how sane she exactly is is never pinpointed.

This is the original mixing of the ingredients and a funny, mature sex and manners comedy emerged.

Highly and enthusiastically recommended!