Coupling Forums

BBC Three (ended 2004)

Any news on new episodes?

crystal2003

[1]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 7
    Anybody know
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Knavehart

[2]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 12
    Last I heard the chances of a Series 5 was slim to none

I thought there were rumors of a Holiday special tho, any word on that?

That;s one of the big difference between American and Brit TV

Do shows in Britan get cancelled liek the do in the US? mid run of a season?

thecornishone

[3]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 3
    I don't think they usually do.
    Unlike the US, most series only last between 6 and 10 episodes aired over the spring/summer/autumn/winter. Most of the episodes are filmed before they're aired so it's probably in the best interests of everyone to show all the episodes. On the whole they look at how the series has performed before deciding what to do next, although on occassion (like with Doctor Who), they do commit to more series before the end of the run.
    Didn't writer Steven Moffat contribute to Doctor Who this year? Perhaps he too has other commitments; I thought I read ages ago that the cast all have other acting projects and this has made it awkward to get together for a fifth series.

Knavehart

[4]Dec 21, 2005
    All those things are what I hear too...

But it is also not completely unheard of for a show to take a few years between series in England either, no?

And yes Stephan Moffet wrote the great Doctor Who two parter The empty child/the doctor dances

so unlike anything i have seen of his (granted my experiences are limited to Coupling and his DrWho Spoof The Curse of Fatal Death)

thecornishone

[5]Dec 23, 2005
    I think the timing between series depends on a number of things - writers, producers, actors, broadcasters, etc. There was a 18-month gap between series three and four (possibly because the actors were doing other things), and it's only actually been another 18 months since the end of series four.

There's always hope that there will be another series, we will just have to keep our fingers and toes crossed!

High-T

[6]Dec 24, 2005
    • level: 7
    Fingers crossed for a new series, I'm missing Coupling and would love to see another series.

NoseTwitcher14

[7]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 52
    i'm pretty sure that Stephen Moffatt has said in interviews that: there won't be any more episodes of Coupling. as it's to hard to get the cast together due to them having other commitments. the BBC did however comission it for a fifth series.

Knavehart

[8]Feb 13, 2006
    I hear Sarah alexander's series here in the the US is finally getting airings here in the states, they apparently had done a lot of test airings and it has been drasticly refocused

FredScuttle

[9]Mar 17, 2006
    • level: 43
    Knavehart wrote:
    I hear Sarah alexander's series here in the the US is finally getting airings here in the states, they apparently had done a lot of test airings and it has been drasticly refocused

I assume you're talking about the show Teachers? I've been seeing promos for it, and hadn't really watched them until tonight, and noticed Sarah was on it. The show is supposed to debut on March 28th (Tuesday).

Debating_Diva

[10]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    Along with Teachers she also has a part in Green Wing. The rest arn't really doing that much major stuff.
    I assume if they want to do a new series they will want all the cast to be avalible at the same time, and not do it in skits whenever people can do ti.

mangaman8

[11]Apr 18, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that there is no chance of a new season, its been to long since series 4

Mrs_McGee

[12]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 13
    i love coupling and i really want to see a seaons 5.

I wanna know what will happen with Sally and Patrick

And also i want to know how Susan and Steve get on being parents.

i know there may be a slim chance but i can't help taking it!

dmarex

[13]Apr 29, 2006
    • level: 103

mangaman8 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that there is no chance of a new season, its been to long since series 4

Yes, it has been long, and I've also lost my hope, but the British TV always has a custom, or let's say, a tiny hope for a revival of a show. For example, "Absolutely Faboulos" aired from 1992-1996, and then returned yet in 2001. There is always a chance in the UK. So, we will see what happens!

igotbupkis

[14]May 9, 2006
    • level: 28
    I grasp the chances are low simply because too many people are doing too many other things. About the only hope you could have would be that each one has little success on their own, so that they'll all be eager to come back.

I have to say, I'm not selfish enough to wish them ill for my amusement. :-)

BTW, before Coupling, Davenport was involved in an interesting 6-ep series called "Ultraviolet" -- I believe it's been released on DVD, so you may be able to find it via that or P2P.

I've only seen the first ep, but it appears to be a cops and vampires story, and at least halfway decent.

Knavehart

[15]May 29, 2006
    Ultraviolet aired here in the US on Sci Fi as a miniseries...

I heard at one point they were thinking about a holiday special

Anybody_No_Dust

[16]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 11

Personally, I loved the ending. It was so raw and brutally honest; it actually made me shiver. It was beautifully dramatic for a British sitcom. </lame>

I have to say, I wouldn't be crushed if there wasn't a Season 5. Not that I wouldn't like it, but I thought the ending to the series was so perfect that it doesn't really need a continuation. It's like books that sort of have those 'open endings'; they don't really conclude anything, but rather leave the next parts up to the reader/audience to play out in their imaginations.

henrybaulch

[17]Jul 17, 2006

Debating_Diva wrote:
    Along with Teachers she also has a part in Green Wing. The rest arn't really doing that much major stuff.

The rest aren't doing much?  Apart from Ben Miles and Jack Davenport doing major Hollywood movies, and that thing Richard Coyle was in; "The Best Man."  Plus, Sarah Alexander was in "The Worst Week of My Life."

Debating_Diva

[18]Jul 22, 2006
    Both of those films finished filming a long time ago. After Thomas has been in editing for a few months now ready for its realease later this year, and so have PotC2 and PotC3. Again the same for all of Richard Coyle's upcoming films. Worst Week of my Life is also over, and has been for practically a year with no upcoming series planned.
    So yeah like I said, in the near future not that much major stuff.

Ahab1974

[19]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    That's all she wrote folks.... no more seasons for Coupling

On the Outpost Gallifrey internet message board, Steven Moffat provided some short storyline "conclusions" for those wondering what became of the Coupling characters:

"Sally said yes to Patrick, they got married and are very happy... especially as Sally beat Susan to the altar, and finally did something first. Patrick is now a completely devoted husband, who lives in total denial that he was anything other an upstanding member of the community. Or possibly he's actually forgotten. He doesn't like remembering things because it's a bit like thinking.

Jane and Oliver never actually did have sex, but they did become very good friends. They often rejoice together that their friendship is uncomplicated by any kind of sexual attraction - but they both get murderously jealous when the other is dating. Jane has a job at Oliver's science fiction book shop now - and since Oliver has that one moment of Naked Jane burnt on the inside of his eyelids, he now loses the place in one in every three sentences. People who know them well think something's gotta give - and they're right. Especially as Jane comes to work in a metal bikini.

Steve and Susan have two children now, and have recently completed work on a sitcom about their early lives together. They're developing a new television project, but it keeps getting delayed as he insists on writing episodes of some old kids show they recently pulled out of mothballs. She gets very cross about this, and if he says "Yeah but check out the season poll!" one more time, he will not live to write another word.

Jeff is still abroad. He lives a life of complete peace and serenity now, having taken the precaution of not learning a word of the local language and therefore protecting himself from the consequences of his own special brand of communication. If any English speakers turn up, he pretends he only speaks Hebrew. He is, at this very moment, staring out to sea, and sighing happily every thirty-eight seconds.

What he doesn't know, of course, is that even now a beautiful Israeli girl he once met in a bar, is heading towards his apartment, having been directed to the only Hebrew speaker on the island. What he also doesn't know is that she is being driven by a young ex-pat English woman, who is still grieving the loss of a charming, one-legged Welshman she once met on a train. And he cannot possibly suspect that (owing to a laundry mix-up, and a stag party the previous night in the same block) he is wearing heat-dissolving trunks.

As the doorbell rings, it is best that we draw a veil."

extractor21

[20]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    That's pretty much it...last nail on the coffin. Thanks for the info ahab1974. Coupling rocked! It's sad we've seen the end of it....hoping for a cast reunion sometime in the future...