Coupling Forums

BBC Three (ended 2004)

Was the producers right to end the show?

chalidon1881

[1]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    Was the producers right to end the show? Some people think that now that Steve is a parent they can't have the same type of humor as they did, but I would think they would have more to work with sure he can't have the same old tired storyline of having commitment problems, but nobody is the perfect serious parent all the time. They could have brought back Jeff and left Oliver on the show and we could watch Steve and Susan as new brilliantly funny parents. Plus they left Sally and Patrick's storyline too much to our own imaginations. They could have broken up and been really funny exes with a forced friendship. Endless possibilities, they didn't have to give up on the show so quickly, but of course I am on the other side of the pond and have no idea how the UK's show schedules and such work.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dphoadley

[2]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 1

I'd have been happy if they'd dropped Steve and Susan altogether, and continued the series with just Sally and Patrick. Oliver by episide 4 was also beginning to find his feet, and emerge from Jeff's shadow. Steve and Susan were getting pedestrian, but the series 4 episide. 'The Naked Living Room,' was Jane at her best, and the relationship between her and Oliver was really getting interesting.

The very BEST two though of Series 4 were Nightlines and Bedtime. The Dream sequences there (The Prisoner Carwash, and the Knightly Chess game) outshined any of Jeff's Siloqueys.

phoenix_1986

[3]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 9
    maybe some people would think so, but I think they could have done a lot of good humor with the kid too

twinreg1

[4]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 6
    Just started watching this show on PBS WHYY12 in 2009, just my luck it's over. I really enjoyed the episodes that I saw. I believe there was more that could be done, but I'm ok with the end. Now if only Eastenders was more current than the 6 years behind here on PBS39!

pekkasteele

[5]Feb 19, 2010
    • level: 7
    I think the first 3 season was SO good, but the 4th, it was by far the worst, and after I saw the 4th season, im just glad it ended, I know I would have continued watchng, but it felt like a now show almost, and a bad one.

trtoguz

[6]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 2

Jeff is the most important and the funniest character in this show, without him the show is not so good, they canceled one season after without him.

AmarinoFrana

[7]May 25, 2011
    • level: 4
    This show without Jeff is like How I Met Your Mother without Barney.

ValeriaMassar

[8]Jul 25, 2011
    • level: 4

They were. Not because of the parents storyline, but because of Jeffrey and Oliver.
    They completely blew that. Not because of the whole Richard Coyle (Jeff) leaving the show thing.
    I actually think the show could of survived that. It was the way they introduced Oliver.
    It was really, really obvious that Olivers storyline was originally written for Jeff. Especially the scene with the toiletpaper.
    That had "Oh, Jeffrey!" written all over it. I think they could have saved the show if only they hadn't tried to replace Jeff so damn hard.
    If they would have made Oliver a person in his own right, with his own quirks, it would have worked.
    Instead they decided "not to waste" the already written scenes for Jeffrey, which resulted in horrible scenes that didn't work because Oliver isn't Jeffrey. The writers shot themselves in the foot. In trying to prove to Richard Coyle that they didn't need him (he left because he wasn't granted a payraise.) they ruined a really good show. Sad but true.

For Richard Coyle fans: check him out in "Going Postal", the adaptation of the Terry Pratchett novel.
    He's amazing as Moist von Lipwig. ^^

fanboy34

[9]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 11

ValeriaMassar wrote:

They were. Not because of the parents storyline, but because of Jeffrey and Oliver.
    They completely blew that. Not because of the whole Richard Coyle (Jeff) leaving the show thing.
    I actually think the show could of survived that. It was the way they introduced Oliver.
    It was really, really obvious that Olivers storyline was originally written for Jeff. Especially the scene with the toiletpaper.
    That had "Oh, Jeffrey!" written all over it. I think they could have saved the show if only they hadn't tried to replace Jeff so damn hard.
    If they would have made Oliver a person in his own right, with his own quirks, it would have worked.
    Instead they decided "not to waste" the already written scenes for Jeffrey, which resulted in horrible scenes that didn't work because Oliver isn't Jeffrey. The writers shot themselves in the foot. In trying to prove to Richard Coyle that they didn't need him (he left because he wasn't granted a payraise.) they ruined a really good show. Sad but true.

For Richard Coyle fans: check him out in "Going Postal", the adaptation of the Terry Pratchett novel.
    He's amazing as Moist von Lipwig. ^^

You pretty much nailed the issue on the nose about the Oliver/Jeff fiasco. Oliver should have just been his own man and not have been forced into being an ersatz Jeff. The bit with Steve talking to Jeff by phone so reeked of the similar scenes on Three's Company with Jack speaking to Chrissy (Suzanne Somers) by phone, it was painful to watch. I never realized that the actor had quit over a pay dispute too.

Babies only ruin a sitcom if they become too much the focus of every moment. They could be treated creatively as little more than accessories like winter coats or handbags for the characters. Right or wrong, it was a convenient place to end the show.