Coupling

BBC Three (ended 2004)

LMH68

Coupling Fan Reviews (69)

• Please, please, bring it back. Just one more series. Please.

Faced with the vast wasteland that is American television comedy I somehow one night stumbled across this gem on the PBS station of all places. I'd like to say that I was taking in by the sharp writing and spot-on acting but it was either amazement that PBS would air something this bawdy or my instant crush on Susan Walker/Sarah Alexander.

A few minutes into the show I found myself laughing out loud - something I don't remember doing at an American comedy for at least a decade - and I was hooked.

I patiently waited for over a year until BBC America finally got around to airing series 3 and 4 only to be heartbroken when I found out that the last episode I watched was likely the last episode ever. Sure it's not the same without Jeff/Richard Coyle but it's still far better than anything we have at home.

I've never been one for petitions or letter writing campaigns - knowing about about how the industry works I know they're almost always futile. And I know that Coupling likely won't be back for the simple reason that the cast is too busy doing other things. So, no, I don't expect that my begging here will get me another series of the best comedy in years. But maybe it's better than doing nothing at all.
  • Excellent show!!!!

Ok so recently I have just gotten into coupling. I can't get over how many times I can watch each episode. I never get tired of them and I always laugh my head off. Kudos to the writers for there wonderful scripts and to the actors for delivering the lines with unmatchable hilarity.
    In my opinion this show is one of the funniest I have ever seen. The show has a lasting quality that people will be able to enjoy for years to come. I also think one of the reasons that the show works so well is that the writing is so open and not afraid to talk about things that actually happen in real life.
  • Smarter then Friends, more realistic then Sex and the City, better characters then Arrested Developement, and a much better looking pub crowd then Cheers. If only there were more episodes!

I agree bring it back, it was truely the most original sitcom i have seen, and i would hate for it to end on an off series. Series 1-3 were far superior then series 4 and not just because of the Jeff factor. In a way i wish it was an american studio behind it, because they would throw money untill the next series was made, afterall it is a certified hit.
  • I think this British comedy is hilarious. I was extremely upset when the American version failed.

I see this as the British, risque version of Friends (which is my favorite show). The topics the characters discuss are either so real that you see the humor in that way, or they're so off the wall that it's hard to do anything but laugh hilariously. The characters are likeable and the plot keeps the audience interested. A truly remarkable show...
  • A genius of subtelty- one of the best

Coupling (UK) is in my opinion one of the greatest comedies ever to come out of the British isles. It stands proudly with classics like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder and should be considered the best british comedy of the last decade. Some people have said that the show is a mix of Friends and Sex and the City with englishmen and they would have a point but Coupling is much more. In addition to side splitting comedy the show always manages to emphasize a subtle problem/misunderstanding between him and her and many times i have wondered how the hell i missed that. One great example is Steve`s monologue about lounge pillows- why the hell do we need them?
    The last season has been a bit sub-par for this show but still above most others especially the hilarious birth episode ( i dont remember any other show that made childbirth so funny).
    Anyway even though Olivers a nice guy he is definately no Jeff! Jeff please come back!
    So if u havent seen this show yet make sure u do and do not!!! watch the american version.
  • Think a cross between Friends, Seinfeld and Sex in the City...but funnier

Personally I am partial to british comedy, there something always a bit funnier out of the mouth of a Brit. Even with that, this is a show that is well timed, well written and well acted. Richard Coyle's portrayal of Jeff Murdoch is, well, brilliant! This is an ensemble that seem to read each other's minds and the timing makes my head spin with laughter.
  • This is by far the best show I have ever seen. Simple in its genre. But just very good. Talk about the relationship we all have experienced. The dialogues are just brilliant. Some british humor adds to the flavor.

This is by far the best show I have ever seen. Simple in its genre. But just very good. Talk about the relationship we all have experienced. The dialogues are just brilliant. Some british humor adds to the flavor. From the first episodes we can easily see the special aspects of eac individual character. Hard to tell which is best. Too bad Jeff leaves after season 3. I think he was my favorit. Oliver however is quite good. Thanks good they did not keep the same character with different actor. Steve, is brilliant. Some of the best monologues in the history of TV. Thanks for that. Patrick is the man's man, the best man a friend can hope for, the perfect pal. But keep him away from your sister!
    Susan is perfect, the kinda woman you want to marry. Jane is just the kinda women I want to work with. Would definitly spice up the coffee brakes but would be unbearable at home. As for Sally, too insecure, she would make me wobble.

Over all the scripts are just magic. Cunning with the right amount of details, talks about all the little tabous we dont dare speak the name off. Its just good. Love it. I recommend it.
  • People compare it to Friends asking which is better. One isn't better than the other. One is full of English wit and the other is full of American comebacks. Both are amazing and both are true classics. They're equals.

I am a big fan of English wit so clearly Coupling is a favorite of mine. I really hope it comes back because the way the fourth season ended doesn't really wrap up the story. It's sad to see Jeff go since I found him the most hysterical part of the show. People shouldn't compare this show to Friends or Sex in the City because they're very different. All three are amazingly great shows and all of them have their own perks. Different strokes for different folks. There needs to be at least a fifth season so they can finish the story and continue the great times we've enjoyed so far.
  • The best british sitcom ever. Good, funny stories, and a lovable cast. The brittish humor is anything but dry. If you want to see a British comedy, this, or Monty Python...

The best british sitcom. The episodes are both comical, and there is a story. Very funny moments like the stripping... It is kind of like british friends meets seinfeld. Great show, especially on BBC, and it is not for the young. See this at night!!!!! Bring it back soon BBC!
  • that's was the best show that was about the relationship between man and woman.

that's was the best show that was about the realationships between man and woman it was well balanced cuz it tells the story both man's and woman's side. The episodes like "the end of the line" could be classic for tv shows. I think it must be back with the character Jeff . The fourth season had a gap without him.
  • Hilarious British sitcom where a group of 6 friends live life and share feelings of love, hate, and other emotions.

At first sight, this show looks like the American show "Friends," but that is an ignorant thing to think! This British Sitcom is hilarious in every way! It has humour that is too risky for the USA, which is why the American version failed miserably. They should have imported the UK version directly, and it would have been a success. The actors play their roles perfectly in this show, and it keeps you laughing for quite a while! Check out this show if you understand a higher class of humour. You won't regret it!!!
  • British comedy at it's best. An erotic version of the comedy Friends. It is a 'laugh your pants off' sitcom.

British comedy at it's best. An erotic version of the comedy, Friends. It is a 'laugh your pants off' sitcom.
    It's about a group of friends, made up of 3 guys and 3 gals. Who get together daily at a coffee bar for R&R, meet guys and gals, and to talk about their sex lives and fantasies.
  • Coupling is a brilliant and well written comedy, i love the British humour that we have over here and it works well with this comedy, i recomend it to anyone....Sad that Jeff isn't in it at the moment.

Coupling see the relationship between three men and three women in England, even though it sounds much like 'Friends' this show offers a different approach to this type of comedy. One aspect of the show that i haven't seen in many comedies is the two point perspective of different situation in thier daily relationships. For instance you would get the girls idea of the perfect man and then it would switch to the man's perspective of the perfect women. Very well written and a great laugh. For me though it has one of the best comedy characters to have come on British television, Jeff. Theres been Trotters from 'Only Fools and horses' theres been the Ricky Gervais in 'The Office' and of course so many more but when Jeff starts going on about 'boobs' it can be one of the funniest things you will hear...i promise you that.

Anyway to finish my review of the show, well what can I say. If your Brittish you MUST what this show....in fact if your any nationality you MUST watch this show....

SaitanMar.
    True believer is the stand-up stickmen
  • Hilarious, one of the best shows ever to grace the television screen

Coupling is one of my absolute favourite shows, Steven Moffatt, the writer and creator, is an absolutely genius.

the cast are one of the main reasons this show works so well, each actor/actress brings something entirely different to the show and every character is believable.

Sarah Alexander is probably the best of the three actresses, with her evil stare when Steve (Jack Davenport) does something wrong.

The show went downhill a tiny bit when Richard Coyle left and Richard Mylan joined. Although the character Oliver wasn't replacing Jeff, he was still hard to like.

Coupling is an amazing show, it's just a shame it's ended.
  • very, Very funny!

Steve Moffat has created a rare thing. A rude sitcom which is actually funny. Most people will say that Richard Coyle steals the show with his fantastical character Geoff, but I personally believe that most of the credit should go to Ben Miles for his interpretation of the character Patrick. When Miles produces just one funny line he steals the show, and the other actors and actresses aren't bad either. Each person who has seen it has their favourite character whether it be statistical Sally, mad Jane, sensible Susan or paranoid Steve. It is virtually impossible not to like this show. I love this show, and I recommend that you should see it today for you will fall in love with it too.
  • First 3 seasons a must-see, the 4th a not-so-must...

I really loved the first 3 seasons, they were incredibly funny. So I gotta say it was a bit of a disappointment when I put my hands on the 4th season... Jeff's no longer there (undoubtedly the funniest character) and the storyline just seems a little boring and revolving around the same stuff all the time. Having this said, the first 3 seasons are totally and utterly worth it. It's just a shame the 4th one doesn't quite keep up...
  • The best sitcom EVER. DO NOT watch it with someone sleeping in the next room... They will wake up from your loud laughs (it actualy happened to me).

The best sitcom EVER. DO NOT watch it with someone sleeping in the next room... They will wake up from your loud laughs (it actualy happened to me - it was that eps with the b/j after the break-up with Susan grinding her teeth at Jane's voice). It was so funny...
    It's a pity if it does not go on... even 1 more season (and then another, and then another...).
  • Cross between sex and the city and friends. with a great british twist

With all theres american sitcoms running for way to long (everybody loves raymond, king of queens ect) its good to know that the Brits still have it. Each episode is so well made and a master piece in there own right, Each character worked so well with each other. That was until Richard (Jeff) left. I found each episode was like a puzzle where all the pieces fit perfectly to give the episode a great ending.
  • Clever and very funny! Bring it back!!!

I was never a fan of Friends and when I heard that Coupling was based on Friends I was hesitant to watch it. Eventually I watched it and I laughed my a** off!!!

The writing and the actors performances (especially Richard Coyle) are sensational.

The first 3 seasons deserve a score of ten, the 4th was below its best, but I still want it to be brought back!
  • "Coupling" is a appealing show that i cannot get bored despite watching the series for a couple of times.

"Coupling" is a appealing show that i cannot get bored despite watching the series for a couple of times. It is about relationships between people and it will always end up in sex if people relate like these 6 wacko characters!

If anyone like quality humour about sex and relationships, this show must be watched and you really don't regret it! The character, "Jeff" was a headliner for the show but he gave up the show after three seasons, however the other characters are as funny as him but the show lost some blood after his departure! Susan is "apparently" "a control freak", Steve is "whistling" ordinary English man, Sally is a woman obsessed with her butt and her neck, Patrick is a neat "big boy", Jeff is a pervert man with a "bucket of ears" and Jane is a "bisexual" woman with her total wackiness!
  • A show 6 people and their friendship, hardships, and SEX that came between them

In short this show is awesome. I have to say I loved every minute of it and wish for new episodes. It was very funny and I was very disappointed in the Americanized version but that is beside the point. Like I said a very funny show thta makes you wonder if maybe the world is a very small place.
  • Probably the best sitcom ever produced in the U.K.

Focused on sex, it never goes down in terms of humour, elegance, situations, originality and cynism. Some would be misled by the six member team and would think it has something to do with the "Friends" idea. Not at all. No loose ends here, no place for easy sentimentalism or soap opera hints, just English Humour, full of double sided intentions and funny embarrassment. No sitcom in the U.S. matches this kind of excellence made in the most classical comedy format. Brilliant.
  • Funniest tv show ever!

I would just like to say that Coupling is a hilarious tv show. Living in Australia, it is only on late at night on Tuesdays, but it always leaves me and my best mate in fits of laughter. It is so real and raw and is classic for its one liners. Quality 100%
  • I love it. (but it didn't quite survive without Jeff)

Lovely show. Absolutely fabulous.

Steve and Susan
    Patrick and Sally
    Jeff and Jane

That's the ultimate character list. But noo, they had to take away Jeff and put in someone like Oliver. Talk about a nerköp.

Ja, ni har rätt, jag försöker bara få till femtio ord. I'm a bad person. Fyra ord till. Så ja!
  • an English version of Friends but 516 times better!!!

four series of pure brilliance. Stephen Moffat writes with complete understanding of both the male and female minds. his subtlety is excellent. unfortunately Richard Coyle who plays Jeff Murdoch dropped out and did not do the fourth series. he was the one who made the other three so great. the fourth series is perhaps a no no but watch the other three and laugh till you can't breathe.
  • hilarious

it is absolutely hilarious. it is somewhat like a british version of friends. its really really cool and funny didnt expect it to end so soon. i particularly liked the episode with the chaos of who was Gisele in the end of season 2. i wish it is brought back.
  • A bloody brillant show.

Sex Sex Sex from every possible angle. That is Coupling. Jeff, if for no other reason, makes the show worth watching. His theories may superficially seem far fetched and crazy, but there is quite a bit of comical truth to them. Sure some of the time the acting isn't the greatest, but the plot, if there really is one, masks those minor imperfections in the show. There is something about British comedy that appeals to certain Americans, but this show will appeal to all Americans. The American version, unfortunately, is a waste of time. Go out and buy this box set, you won't be disappointed, especially if your special someone is watching it too.
  • A must to see for all adults

One of the best and most original shows since Frasier and Will and Grace. Although the show theme is about adult relationships (SEX), everyone can relate to some of the embarrassing situations featured. The cast is absolutely perfect and way the episodes were directed was like a breath of fresh air. Like episodes “The Girl with Two Breasts” where the scenes were repeated with the different translations, “Nine and a Half Minutes” when the same nine and a half minutes was repeated from three different views and “Bed Time” where the plot was linked to a medieval game of chess.
  • A naughty comedy about sex.

This show is often called a British "Friends". While it does revolve around the personal lives of 6 people (3 guys & 3 girls), that is pretty much the only major similiarity.

I had never heard of this show until I heard the news for the US version. I didn't have high expectations since I'm not a huge fan of British comedy, and other similarly inspired shows didn't last long. I then stumbled upon the first season at my video store and decided to risk it, so I could compare the two when the US version finally aired.

By the end of the first episode I was laughing hysterically, and by the time all 6 episodes were over I was in love. I rushed out and bought it, and anxiously waited for the eventual releases of 2 & 3. The show is always hilarious and every person I have introduced to it have ended up loving it too. This show is always guaranteed laughs and immensley entertaing.

I was uneasy about the loss of Jeff in Season 4, but I quickly liked Oliver. Because like the other 5, he had more normal problems than the overly neurotic Jeff.

This show needs to return in some form because like any good show it left us wanting to see more: Steve & Susan adjusting to parenthood, Patrick & Sally's wedding, Jane finally finding her soulmate in Oliver, and the eventual return of Jeff from Lesbos.
  • Thinking persons 'Friends', and it's British!

If you haven't seen this show, I recommend getting it out DVD and watch all 24 episodes back-to-back! This rates as one of the best contemporary sitcoms to come out of the UK in a very long time.

The show involves 3 guys and 3 girls in their late 20s/ early 30s, some complicated relationships, some pretty adult humour, and a good dose of reality when it comes to the differences between the sexes.

Jack Davenport will be the most recognisable face to US viewers (Pirates of the Caribbean's Captain Norrington, suitor of Elizabeth) and unlike Friends, the show hangs mainly on his character (Steve) and personality. Steve's monologues on various subjects from pornography to men's bathroom habits are sharply and superbly delivered, and his utter inability to understand his girlfriend's various character traits strike a chord in any man who's at the start of a relationship.

He is ably matched by his girlfriend Susan, the sexy coquettish (look it up) Sarah Alexander, who's proud of her sexuality and knows what she wants, which freaks out the reserved Steve on more than one occasion.

Any reader of my previous reviews knows what I'll say next - a series will stand or fall depending on its supporting characters, and each of the supporting cast are filled in superbly. Richard Coyle (Jeff) is a particular standout as he is plainly quite useless with the opposite sex. Witness during the first series how he gets so nervous in front of a naked woman he faints, and when unable to deliver a pick-up line to a woman on the train, informs her that he has only one leg.

Admittedly the support act are a little two-dimensional compared to the leading two, but that is not so surprising given that the writer Steven Moffat and his wife Sue are the inspiration for these two.

Check it out and be amused!
< 1 2 3