Coupling

BBC Three (ended 2004)

LMH68

Coupling Fan Reviews (71)

• I just recently discovered this gem and would have given it a 10 except for the departure of Richard Coyle in the fourth season.

This show is a frank, funny and disarming study of what relationships are like in the 21st century. The entire cast is brilliant, however my two standout favorites are Jane (Gina Bellmen) and Jeff (Richard Coyle). Jane stumbles through both her real and imagined relationships with total self absorption which borders on being pathological. Jeff, on the other hand, is a perpetual adolescent with all its nervous, awkward energy and an almost total inability to relate to the opposite sex on any level. The comedic timing of both Ms. Bellmen and Mr. Coyle cannot be ignored when looking at this show's success as well as the silent star of all successful shows of any type: the writing. Steven Moffat delivers on the show's concept with constantly funny, inventive situations and crisp, witty dialog. I found this show because I was so taken with Mr. Moffat's latest venture: "Jekyll" that I search for other things he had written. I can honestly say "Coupling" blew me away. The breath of Mr. Moffat's range is obvious when looking at both shows side by side. Here is a writer of wide scope and talent, who is very at home in both serious drama as well as comedy. I'll definitely be looking for more of his future offerings. If you've not seen either of these shows check them out. Either will reward you whatever mood you're in.