Coupling

Sex, Death & Nudity

Aired Unknown May 26, 2000 on BBC Three

• The group goes to a funeral...

Jane's aunt has died and she expects Steve to come with her to the funeral. Of course, this would be precisely the wrong time to tell her family that they broke up, so he isn't allowed to. Nevertheless, Susan comes to keep an eye on Steve - bringing Patrick as her date. Patrick brings Sally and Jeff turns up as well as he actually knew the departed aunt in the first place and was invited as Susan's date by Steve. A gratuitous "Reservoir Dogs" parody ensues.
    Jane spends much of the wake trying to make Steve jealous - with varying degrees of success - while Sally is terrified of all the old people. Jeff, meanwhile, is trying to overcome his nerves for a big interview by picturing everyone naked - a skill he can't seem to stop using.
  • Jeff Rules

With the whole explanation of the "giggle loop" and what if I accidentally say "nipple", the character of Jeff completely rules this entire episode. It also shows us a little insight into Steve's slight fetish with lesbians -- which gets a little out of hand at Jane's aunt's funeral. The poor man is completely helpless not only in Jane's hands but Susan's as well. We also begin to see Sally's obsession with aging or not aging and her confrontation with the old lady is a great scene.

The best scene though is the homage to "Resevior Dogs" by the guys in all their funeral finery and sunglasses. This whole episode shows why this is one of the best comedies ever.
  • \"What if I say an accidental word? Like \'Nipples\'? \"

\"What\'s wrong with Jeff?\"
    \"He\'s got female body parts multiplying in his head.\"
    \"Excellent.\"
    Jeff\'s got a job interview, and is a tad nervous. He tells the boys about the \'Giggle Loop\', where you may or may not accidentally laugh during a silence, such as a funeral. Chaos ensues when all six friends attend a funeral together. Who will fall into the \'Giggle Loop\' first?
    \"My Auntie\'s dead! Say something!\"
    ****
    Steve\'s ex, Jane, and Steve\'s current, Susan. Is it a good idea for them to end up on their own, together? What if they start...talking? Plus a small homage to Reservoir Dogs. Fantastic series.
  • Janes aunt is dead, hilarity ensues!!!

This was one of the best epsidoes out of the entire series. It was just hilarious and the jokes were fantastic, event hough the episode was death related.

Jane tells steve about her dead aunt. but steve cant go because her aunt missed the "relationship window". this is the time when they were going and if she died when the window was open he would have went. it was cracking up when i was watching this scene. so steve has to wait for sallys aunt to die. jane feels betraye dand storms out and the neighbor things steve is into necrophilia.
    susan thinks steve was acting stupid for saying he wouldnt go but she wants to go to make jane doesnt do anything. steve wanted to avoid that but they all go. susan wants patrick to go with her to teach steve a lesson.
    everyone eevntually gets stuck going but sally is hesitant because of the death and old people.
    jeff tells his friends about the google loop, which i have been a victim of. it actually does happen i just never named it, thanks jeff,lol.
    the reservoir dogs sequence was great. i couldnt stop laughing.
    so the funeral goes on and sally tries to avoid the old people and in turns gets stuck with an old person who says shes atleast 40. sally gets upset and makes fun of the old lady.
    jane falls victim to the google loop during the minute silence.
  • Brlliant!

My all time favorite Coupling episode. Everything is perfect.

The way Jane manipulate Steve to go the funeral and still pretend to be her boy-friend.

The Reservoir-Dogs scene was just absolutely BRILLIANT! I never laughed so hard in my life. I had to watch it at least four times until I could continue.

The way (and place!) Jane tells Steve about her afflication to other women and threesomes is just awesome :-D

The whole gigleloop explaination is just classic Jeff. We love you for it man!

And of course the old lady which tells Sally that the usage of beauty products might not be a good idea in the longrun.
  • Still the best

' Sex, Death, and Nudity ' was the first time I ever saw ' Coupling ' and I can not think of a better show to start with.
    Richard Coyle (aka Jeff) was a natural in explaining the giggle loop but to go to a funeral and begin picturing people naked took it the extra mile that made this show a classic. There were many other classic moments such as Suan yelling at guys to stop playing Reservior Dogs or Sally insulting Aunt Muriel after Muriel commented how she use to look like Sally when she was in her 40's.
    This episode featured one classic moment after another and will go down as arguably as the single best episode of the entire series.
  • Jane's aunt dies- and we're all invited! Just beware the Giggle Loop!

The crazy fibs this time out are set-off Mission:Impossible-style due to Jane's aunt dying.

Steve, sympathetic yet happy with Susan, tells Jane 'no,' but Susan tells him it's not a problem. Steve, typically at a loss of good excuses why he's changed his mind, blames Susan. Susan and Jane, on the phone, realize what's going on and Susan insists on going since Jane wants Steve there with her and Jane's family hasn't heard about the break-up.

Susan calling Patrick is cute, Sally's obvious set-up line is only trumped by Patrick's actual 'pick-up' line, and the scene in Steve's car is a hoot.

The classic moment of the boys "playing Resevoir Dogs" is very fun. The practically insta-classic bit of The Giggle Loop is, eventually, a fun echo of the Mary Tyler Moore episode with Chuckles the Clown, in my opinion. The bit with the neighbor hearing Jane and Susan yelling about dead aunts is okay, but loses a bit of the funny on subsequent watchings.

Sally and the ninety-three year old lady is a wonderful back-and-forth! I love that the lady was as feisty back as Sally was horrid! That made it funnier and more comedically even- they both gave as well as they took. That Patrick was able to use Sally's own neuroses to get her to go was amazingly insightful and clever, but then, Patrick knows how to manipulate women.::shrugs:: I still like his smarts there anyway.

The Jeff subplot- an upcoming promotion board has him freaked out- is funny, and the end product suprising on first viewing. On rewatches, even knowing what's coming, the lead up is still very funny. For me, the pay-off- while a bonus for Jeff-fanciers- is tiring. (I love Jeff, and Mr. Coyle's portrayal, but I can understand his being tired of the same type of thing constantly happening to Jeff.)

Overall, a very good half hour with six funny pals. Highly recommended!