Courage the Cowardly Dog

The Mask

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 18, 2002 on Cartoon Network

• Now this was a good episode

This is one of those rare points where a kids show can deal with adult themes, and execute them so well. Some of the themes include, domestic abuse, misandry, etc. For example, when Kitty says dogs are evil. Simply replace the word dogs with men. However, we see a good reason why she hates dogs, her best friend, Bunny started dating a dog who happens to abuse her. On top of that, we see how she now wears the mask so she doesn't have to face reality. While Muriel does say that reality needs to be faced, she easily points out the hypocrisy in that statement which leads to a good plot B. However, as we advance through plot A we see that Courage takes kitty's mouse toy and uses it as a clue to find out about Bunny and Mad dog. Then when we cut to mad dog we find out that he threatens to kill Kitty if Bunny ever thinks about going back to her. After we get a segment involving her trying to escape, she's put in a flower pot and Courage has to go save her. Meanwhile in plot B we see Eustace and Muriel locked inside of their room and trying to get out. At the same time, Kitty wakes up to find that her mouse is gone and once again says all dogs are evil while escaping to find it. Later on, Muriel finds a bobby pin to unlock the door and she and Eustace finally make up. This is something quite interesting since Eustace actually says something decent for once. Back in plot A, Courage fights off Mad dog's lackeys and soon helps Bunny escape. As they run, Courage tries to distract Mad dog, but obviously he's after Bunny. In the end Mad Dog is hit by a train in Cartoon fashion, and then Kitty is reunited with her best friend and says that not all dogs are bad. Therefore, the Mask is actually one of the best episodes of Courage, and if you're looking for any episodes that deal with adult themes, this is a good one.
  • Courage the cowardly mask

Kitty beats courage

• Quite possibly one of my favorite episode of Courage, and for good reason.

When I first saw this episode, I thought it was a masterpiece, and this opinion did not falter no matter how many times I saw it again.

I like this episode because it deals with a very serious issue: Courage is immediately terrorized by a mysterious woman in a cloak and a mask, Kitty (who's an actual cat), who claims that "dogs are evil." But there's a reason for her hatred: Kitty's best friend, Bunny (who's an actual rabbit), is in an abusive relationship with a gang leader, who happens to be a dog. Kitty is so miserable without Bunny, she wears her mask so she doesn't have to "face reality," and even uses some flaws of Muriel and Eustace to pit them against each other.

Courage immediately wants Kitty, the supposed monster, out of his house (most likely due to Kitty's uncanny resemblance to Katz), so he takes a toy mouse of Kitty's (which happens to be a gift from Bunny), and locks everyone else in their rooms while he goes off and investigates.

That's where this episode really gets interesting. Courage learns about Bunny's location from a mutual friend of Kitty and Bunny (Charlie the Rat), which turns out to be a run-down building near some train tracks. He witnesses Mad Dog, the real monster and Bunny's abusive boyfriend, threaten to kill both her and Kitty, then sics his thugs on her when she tries to escape. Thankfully, Courage is able to gain Bunny's trust with the help of Kitty's mouse, and they escape Mad Dog and all his thugs (who are no match for Courage with a shovel and an oncoming train).

The subplot with Muriel and Eusatce attempting to get out of their locked bedroom is a source of comic relief in between the drama Courage witnesses. They argue about Muriel sneaking sweets and Eustace's incompetence as a handyman, hear Kitty escape the house when she realizes her mouse is gone, eventually unlock the doors with a bobby pin, and make up.

In the end, Mad Dog is defeated, Kitty and Bunny are reunited, Courage is in their good graces, Muriel is seen eating an apple, and Eustace is now the one who can't face reality and is wearing Kitty's mask. Everyone wins (more or less).

In closing, "The Mask" is definitely one of the better episodes of Courage, because it's talking about a real-life monster. But even so, even stories about real-life monsters can have a happy ending, as evidenced here.
  • perfect

a stranger wearing a mask comes to the farm, and this stranger hates dogs, and has no problem showing it when she hits courage for no reason. courage sees the stranger take off her mask at night and sees it's a cat. he then goes into her room and steals something. now courage is on a quest to save "Bunny" a friend of the cat who was kidnapped by "Mad dog." Will Courage be able to save bunny?

great episode, really scary in parts, great plot, what more could i ask for, this episode gets an A+ from me, perfect
  • A every cool episode. Couldn't ask for more. I love this one it was perfect.

Well I saw this episode once and only once. It was perfect. I don't remember much, but this is why it's so cool. Because I love it and I don't remember for the most part. I liked how the cat loved to smack Courage. Who doesn't think that's funny? And Muriel thinks they're playing around. I also liked it was just one full episode. It had a lot of detail. I thought it would'nt of been as good like it was. It was shocking. Superb, great, and perfect. I feel that this episode was just perfect. ten out of ten. One year ago was the last time I saw it, and I hope to see it at least one more time!
BOOM