A Covert Affairs Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on USA

Covert Affairs S04E02: "Dig for Fire"

Annie and Auggie have continued to be that infuriating couple comprised of two individuals who morph into seemingly different people as soon as they declare themselves a "thing." I'll stop short of saying that we've never seen this Annie or this Auggie before, because truthfully, we've seen Auggie in control-freak-boyfriend mode with Parker and we've seen Annie get all gooey-eyed with every one of her other love interests ever—so it's not that these personalities don't exist in our heroes, it's just that they tend to only come out under the most absolute of circumstances. 

With that said, the thing with the Band-Aid was adorable and the idea of presenting Annie and Auggie as a parallel of Joan and Arthur is interesting, as gives their relationship an actual point in the story outside of being lighthearted kissy-face romance crap. 

For one of the first times in Covert Affairs' run, Joan and Arthur managed to not be the actual worst. Their status was up in the air there for a bit—Arthur's possible affair, the baby drama, Teo, Joan being Joan, Arthur being Arthur. It's been hard, having been a viewer of this series since its premiere, to look at Joan and Arthur and feel sympathy for either of them, much less understand them or really connect with them on a human level. They're the cold, calculating uber-professionals who we expect to reign over our young super-spies of tomorrow. Sure, they've had their whole trying-to-save-their-marriage storyline for awhile now, but I can't think of a time where I was ever terribly invested in it, and truthfully, I could never fathom why we were supposed to care so much beyond the fact that the powers that be on Covert Affairs deemed it important.

Yet when Joan managed to put all the pieces together to discover that Arthur's "affair" was a lie constructed entirely to save her career from going down the toilet along with his, it finally clicked—why Joan and Arthur care about one another and why we should care, too. We have yet to see the complete fallout of Arthur's confession about Teo, but from what we saw this week, Joan took it rather well, all things considered. I'm also delighted that Arthur came clean sooner rather than later.

Frankly, I enjoyed Arthur and Joan more in "Dig for Fire" than I have in most of Covert Affairs' run thus far. In the past, the series has struggled to make them seem like sympathetic humans in addition to calculating superiors in complicated and demanding professional roles—but this season has already taken a real interest in improving our perceptions of Joan, Arthur, and their relationship, warts and all. It's a move that fits in well with the domestic nature of this season's threat in Henry Wilcox, Teo's family ties to Arthur, and the newly launched S.S. Anngie. Annie was adamant that the relationship she has with Auggie is nothing like Joan and Arthur's, and no, the stakes aren't nearly as high (yet). I don't think the infidelity paranoia is something either of them has to worry about (yet). But the trust and control issues are already brewing. You know they're going to end up on opposite sides of something before this season is through. I'm betting my laundry money on conflicting allegiances accounting for part of our mid-season finale. 

Through a chance encounter, Auggie managed to figure out that the mole leaking information to Wilcox was Seth—a former flame of Joan's who apparently still had a thing for her and may have partially been trying to get back into her pants. Or solely. He's dead now because in a fight between a baseball bat and a Jetta, the Jetta wins—as long as Annie Walker is behind the wheel. Unfortunately for Annie (and probably Auggie, and probably everyone else who isn't an evil douche-canoe) going on a secret, off-the-books mission for the recently resigned and routinely disgraced CIA director to snoop around the home of a possible mole. A possible mole who has a history with the ex-CIA director's wife, which means she doesn't get the usual perks of the job when things go south—you know, like a clean-up crew to wipe away her prints, put the furniture back together, and make the whole crime scene disappear. However, it wasn't much of a winning situation either way once Seth came back from his ditched date-night prematurely—it's not like he didn't know who she was, and it's not like he wouldn't have somehow destroyed her (or tried to) had he survived his fall. 

Auggie said they had 48 hours before anyone at Langley noticed their missing agent, not to mention started the investigation that could potentially link Annie to the dearly departed Seth, but Wilcox had already approached Annie with a new mission to Colombia, despite declaring her essentially useless to him earlier in the episode. He's so sneaky and awful. I <3 it. 

SPY NOTES

– I miss the opening credits, :(

– I do not miss Danielle. (No offense, Anne Dudek! It's not you, it's Danielle. I do miss you on Mad Men.)

– Holy shitballs, you guys, Annie was wearing sensible flats during her pursuit of Wilcox! Lace up, kids, we're going ice-skating in hell!

– "The sound quality isn't great." "Hey, Annie put a lot on the line for that!" OMG AUGGIE STOP. 

– Despite our progress, it was implied that Arthur and Auggie are still keeping something from Annie and possibly/probably Joan. Theories?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/22/2014

Season 5 : Episode 5

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/29/2014

Season 5 : Episode 6

61 Comments
Follow this Show
Members