A Covert Affairs Community
USA (ended 2014)

Covert Affairs S04E02: "Dig for Fire"

Annie and Auggie have continued to be that infuriating couple comprised of two individuals who morph into seemingly different people as soon as they declare themselves a "thing." I'll stop short of saying that we've never seen this Annie or this Auggie before, because truthfully, we've seen Auggie in control-freak-boyfriend mode with Parker and we've seen Annie get all gooey-eyed with every one of her other love interests ever—so it's not that these personalities don't exist in our heroes, it's just that they tend to only come out under the most absolute of circumstances. 

With that said, the thing with the Band-Aid was adorable and the idea of presenting Annie and Auggie as a parallel of Joan and Arthur is interesting, as gives their relationship an actual point in the story outside of being lighthearted kissy-face romance crap. 

For one of the first times in Covert Affairs' run, Joan and Arthur managed to not be the actual worst. Their status was up in the air there for a bit—Arthur's possible affair, the baby drama, Teo, Joan being Joan, Arthur being Arthur. It's been hard, having been a viewer of this series since its premiere, to look at Joan and Arthur and feel sympathy for either of them, much less understand them or really connect with them on a human level. They're the cold, calculating uber-professionals who we expect to reign over our young super-spies of tomorrow. Sure, they've had their whole trying-to-save-their-marriage storyline for awhile now, but I can't think of a time where I was ever terribly invested in it, and truthfully, I could never fathom why we were supposed to care so much beyond the fact that the powers that be on Covert Affairs deemed it important.

Yet when Joan managed to put all the pieces together to discover that Arthur's "affair" was a lie constructed entirely to save her career from going down the toilet along with his, it finally clicked—why Joan and Arthur care about one another and why we should care, too. We have yet to see the complete fallout of Arthur's confession about Teo, but from what we saw this week, Joan took it rather well, all things considered. I'm also delighted that Arthur came clean sooner rather than later.

Frankly, I enjoyed Arthur and Joan more in "Dig for Fire" than I have in most of Covert Affairs' run thus far. In the past, the series has struggled to make them seem like sympathetic humans in addition to calculating superiors in complicated and demanding professional roles—but this season has already taken a real interest in improving our perceptions of Joan, Arthur, and their relationship, warts and all. It's a move that fits in well with the domestic nature of this season's threat in Henry Wilcox, Teo's family ties to Arthur, and the newly launched S.S. Anngie. Annie was adamant that the relationship she has with Auggie is nothing like Joan and Arthur's, and no, the stakes aren't nearly as high (yet). I don't think the infidelity paranoia is something either of them has to worry about (yet). But the trust and control issues are already brewing. You know they're going to end up on opposite sides of something before this season is through. I'm betting my laundry money on conflicting allegiances accounting for part of our mid-season finale. 

Through a chance encounter, Auggie managed to figure out that the mole leaking information to Wilcox was Seth—a former flame of Joan's who apparently still had a thing for her and may have partially been trying to get back into her pants. Or solely. He's dead now because in a fight between a baseball bat and a Jetta, the Jetta wins—as long as Annie Walker is behind the wheel. Unfortunately for Annie (and probably Auggie, and probably everyone else who isn't an evil douche-canoe) going on a secret, off-the-books mission for the recently resigned and routinely disgraced CIA director to snoop around the home of a possible mole. A possible mole who has a history with the ex-CIA director's wife, which means she doesn't get the usual perks of the job when things go south—you know, like a clean-up crew to wipe away her prints, put the furniture back together, and make the whole crime scene disappear. However, it wasn't much of a winning situation either way once Seth came back from his ditched date-night prematurely—it's not like he didn't know who she was, and it's not like he wouldn't have somehow destroyed her (or tried to) had he survived his fall. 

Auggie said they had 48 hours before anyone at Langley noticed their missing agent, not to mention started the investigation that could potentially link Annie to the dearly departed Seth, but Wilcox had already approached Annie with a new mission to Colombia, despite declaring her essentially useless to him earlier in the episode. He's so sneaky and awful. I <3 it. 

SPY NOTES

– I miss the opening credits, :(

– I do not miss Danielle. (No offense, Anne Dudek! It's not you, it's Danielle. I do miss you on Mad Men.)

– Holy shitballs, you guys, Annie was wearing sensible flats during her pursuit of Wilcox! Lace up, kids, we're going ice-skating in hell!

– "The sound quality isn't great." "Hey, Annie put a lot on the line for that!" OMG AUGGIE STOP. 

– Despite our progress, it was implied that Arthur and Auggie are still keeping something from Annie and possibly/probably Joan. Theories?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 5 : Episode 16

61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
- I don't. It means more show.
- Me neither. I'll probably be happy to see her like... once in the whole season or something.
- Yes I saw that! She has actually been wearing flat out of the office all the time since the beginning of the season. Thank you for that, show, you're only 3 seasons late to the "you can't actually run and be discreet on Louboutins" party.
- Yeah that -_- Please Auggie.
- So many theories. Maybe Auggie is someone's secret son. Maybe he has a child somewhere too. Maybe he's Arthur's son and Theo's half brother!!! etc.
Flag
I don't miss opening credits but I miss Auggie being more "manly" about it all... he's mushy.
Flag
This is the first time that Joan and Arthur's relationship was actually intriguing. In previous seasons, I didn't care for their relationship and found their disputes annoying.
Flag
The Annie/Auggie relationship is ruining the show for me. You know that Annie would have flirted her way through her trip to Columbia both with Teo and with Calder Michaels and by charming them she would have been much more successful than she was with Auggie there being a jerk during the whole thing. Now, Auggie is being a jerk to Author too when it comes to Annie. The whole over protective boyfriend thing is tiresome and is insulting to Annie's skills and knowledge.
Flag
The Annie & Auggie thing needs to go away. Why does every show that's worth anybody's attention(my attention) always have to crash their way into a relationship ditch. I've always referred to Annie as Lil Sydney Bristow because Alias was obviously an inspiration here, and now it seems their going for a full blown remake. But instead of battles for the ages with a murderous clone of your best friend or even Anna Hugemouth Espinosa, all we get is an old, washed up Nina Myers. Spies should only have tortured relationships. Every relationship Sydney had was complicated. But this is USA with all their sunshine and happy endings. And why is that agent/mole murder cover up giving me a FNL season 2 flashback?!
Flag
I miss the credits, too, but the credits do seem too optimistic for the current season. This is probably the darkest season so far of Covert Affairs.
Flag
I hope at some point this season we find out exactly why Henry hates Arthur so much. We've only had Henry making vague references to Arthur "stabbing" him "in the back," and Arthur denying it. And the fact that Henry blames Arthur for Jai's death seems downright irrational, since they revealed that Jai was killed by an ex-operative who had a connection to Henry.
Flag
I've never had a problem with Arthur and Joan being the cold, determined bosses they are because that's exactly the kind of bosses they should be given their positions. There's not much room, if any, in their field for hand-holding, or stroking egos. I honestly can't hate on them like you are cause they're a sort of necessary evil, unlike Wilcox, who's simply a pain in the ass. I love to hate the guy, but to see him put in his place will be soooo much more satisfying.

Loving Annie and Auggie together too. They see Joan and Arthur, and don't want to come close to making the mistakes they have. Good for them!!!

Loved the episode by the way. I'm always entertained by this show.
Flag
Justin, you did a terrific job of explaining Arthur and Joan. I like Annie, and love Auggie, but I watch the show primarily for the Campbells. They're intriguing characters, and frankly I get discouraged sometimes when read comment boards and see just how many people seem to miss the point of their relationship.
Flag
Annie and Auggie are perfect together. Anyway who says otherwise are NOT watching the same show!
Flag
I have watched the show from the beginning and I HATE Annie and Auggie together.
Flag
I've been waiting for them to reveal Jay is still alive. When main cast dies, there's a certain feeling and presentation that is shown when they're REALLY killed off. Jay's death didn't get much coverage and there was no dramatic weight to it.

Did we ever find out what was the deal with Simon's tattoo? That same figure that Jay had in his files.

I'm betting Jay is still alive and that Arthur and Auggie know. Which is why Henry is going after them. There's something more there.

Oh and speaking of Henry who is no longer a part of the CIA; like he can just give Annie authorization to go to Columbia, where you have to have an actual reason to go to. Is he paying for her tickets, hotel, etc.? Doubtful. And even on an agents pay-scale she doesn't make enough to be flying around on her own dime all the time.

I saw the flats too, and figured since she's working pro-bono for Arthur and Henry right now, she had to cut the Christian Louboutin's out of her budget for a while.

I also hope they play up the forbidden love thing for Annie and Auggie, because so far, it's quite lack luster.
More+
Flag
I think they added the annie/auggie thing because we expected it.
So far it seems like a background thing. It's there but the rest of the
action kind of drowns it out.
Flag
I kinda like more Annie+Eyal than Annie+Simon or Annie+Auggie. The chemistry with Simon was incredible (and I hate he's dead) but with Eyal it's more like meant to be, you know.
Flag
As much as I like Auggie. He is not right for Annie. Simon was the man. Auggie and Annie seem more like brother and sister. There is no sexual chemistry. Sorry...
Flag
I like the new credits - they seem more grown-up.
Flag
Grown-up???
Flag
I miss the opening credits too. Of the USA shows that I love, those credits are only second to Psych.

Ya know, I noticed the flats and didn't notice them at the same time. In my mind, I said, "oh cute shoes," but it didn't register that she didn't have on any red bottomed heels. Maybe she's going for practical now. Or maybe it was just her off day and she was going casual.

And yes, Mary Ann, it's painfully clear that there will be Anngie/Augnie -ship issue of Titanic (see what I did there!) proportions this season. What fun would it be to get these two together if the writers couldn't threaten to tear the apart as well?

Here's my theory on the bigger underlying secret (it's not quite put together yet): Arthur has some off the books mission in Colombia, which is why he was sending money to Colombia, not just for Teo. Auggie is in on that mission, since he set up the account, but it's too risky to read in anyone else. Hill Harper's character is not a good guy, and likely has ties to Henry Wilcox, who I'm betting has ties to the target of Arthur's mission.
More+
Flag
Yeah, I actually miss singing that song before watching the episode too - it looks as if that scene where Auggie and Annie danced in a dream and then she would do the wink at opening the door, that was the end of our opening credits? Sniff.

For the rest, I don't know yet if I'm enjoying all this stuff from the new season. It doesn't feel like this will be a great season.
Flag
Sorry but I am the only one who's not happy with the Annie-Auggie thing ? It just feels fake to me.
- Danielle was pointless indeed
- flatshoes! had the same shock.. It was meant to be funny I think, since they really zoomed in on them...
- My theorie, the funding is to catch Henry in a trap somehow maybe... of for some deep cover op :-) It makes no sense to get Arthur out of the picture.

My question, isn't it weird that there wasn't any reporter at Joan/Arthur's house after such a scandal ?
Flag
I imagine that the home addresses of CIA agents aren't listed.
Flag
You're so right about Annie and Auggie, they're annoying together. Specially him.
I did like the Joan and Arthur's dynamics this last two episodes and last night specially and I'm beggining to empathize with Joan and finding her human and all. I like her!

WHY DID THEY GOT RID OF THE CREDITS?! THEY WERE AWESOME.
Flag
Why get rid of the opening credits?

Because now they can squeeze in one more 30-second commercial, or 2 15-second commercials.

I hate when they remove a nice theme song or intro from the beginning of an established show.
Flag
But those credits where awesome. I want them back.
Flag
There are a lot of things I like about this show, but all along the opening credits were the thing I liked the most.
Flag
"an evil douche-canoe." Oh, can I use that? It's positively precious. David Anders would most certainly apply--and he'd get that job. People are often portrayed as being above everything--seemingly without the warts, but everyone has them. It amazes me as to why someone would even want some of these jobs that are all powerful, like Corey Stoll's character on House of Cards. Don't these folks watch TV--I guess not, so how would they suspect that the mighty ALWAYS fall--and it's never pretty. And I do miss Danielle, she made it all more plausible. I'm behind on Mad Men, so she's toast there too? Bummer. She was pretty much a douche canoe on Criminal Minds last year, but she was quite insane. Good review and as for Annie and Auggie, file that under "be careful what you wish for."
Flag
About the shoes, right...I'm still confused over the fact that Annie didn't chase Wilcox in platforms.
Flag
1. I'm glad Arthur and Joan are good-ish again. I like Joan and I hate when the rest of characters withold information from her.

2. I still ship Annie and Auggie. We all know their relationship is doomed from the start - but the make such a cute lovely pair.

3. MaryAnn - I miss the opening credits too. I want my Cover Affairs them song back :(

4. Annie is getting darker and darker with each season. Annie from season 1 was terrifed when she had to be in one room with a gun not to mention to touch it. Annie from season 4 (totally understandable after Simon - Lena thing) walks into her house with a gun ready to kill the intruder. Also Annie has just killed CIA agent. Even if he was a mole that's a big no no. I have no doubt the smelly brownish sh!t is going to hit the fan very soon.

5. I kind of miss Danielle - but with the more serious turn the show took last season - there isn't a place for her anymore.

6. I love Annie's flats! She's a professional now :)

7. Annie's red Jetta is the best!
More+
Flag
I still miss the season 1 opening - the Florence and the Machine intro was my fav.
Flag
I agree "Dog days are over" is definitely Annie's them song :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEHc8sZ_IE
Flag
This episode was defiantly a step down in quliaty from last week's premiere but it was still incredibly good. I loved Annie&Auggie are still figuring out their relationship I can't wait to see more of them! I am so anxious to find out exactly what Auggie's 'big secret' is! I still don't trust Henry Wilcox I hope Annie doesn't get into too much trouble next week!
Flag
Someone refresh my memory? I know Joan pretty much "broke up" Annie at one point last year. That Annie was acting up and then talked back to Joan and she pretty much said "We're done"

And I thought I remember them making up at one point, which I guess is still true due to their casual talk in the restroom, but I don't remember the specifics.

So... what happened between them that made them friend-ish again?
Flag
Annie came under the supervision of Lena. But she had to kill Lena, so she and Joan made up.
Flag
LOL, escalated quickly indeed. They were going for the whole cliche of "hiding a couple feet away and stopping things from falling to avoid being noticed" which 99% of the time on TV ends with the hero and the audience giving a shared sigh of relief.

Instead here we got a fairly vicious fight, a fall down the stairs, "baseball bat vs Jetta," and yet another cliche "villain falls into river and is PRESUMED dead"

I was kind of surprised they went that route.
Flag
I can't promise you they'll play the opening theme, but I can tell you if you want to see the band perform within the next one month and one week that would be extremely extremely easy.
Flag
Staff
Reeeeally?
Flag
The opening theme to Covert Affairs was by the brother-sister band Apple Trees & Tangerines, who changed their name to the much less interesting Flint Eastwood about a year ago (and I think added a couple of members). Their stuff is not bad. I really thought they'd succeed after Covert Affairs first season, but I do not think they are really trying to make it big anymore.
Flag
(and between those they were named Power)
Flag
"Well, That Escalated Quickly" - Yeah it did! Didn't see that dramatic and physical level of encounter happening so soon! Pretty awesome! Doubt he's actually dead, though.

Anngie sounds like a normal name. Augnie perhaps?

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty tight, fun episode. Definitely right about Joan and Arthur. I didn't roll my eyes once at them. :)

I miss the opening song and how it sometimes rolled into the action. I thought the graphical portion of it was kind of silly looking, though.

Didn't even notice her shoes. I'm a guy.

Yeah, that was a little weird for Auggie to jump to defend her when it didn't even sound like criticism.

Clearly they keep referring to not having read Annie (or Joan, for that matter) all the way in on whatever Op they are into, so yeah - still hiding something big. We know that Arthur's son has been implicated (by Wilcox) in blowing up an oil pipeline and is supposedly targeting other American interests (again, Wilcox info). We know that Arthur met some unknown chick in a parking garage to tell her that "IT" was ending and he was cutting his son off. Also, she may or may not be the same woman in the surveillance photos in the Wilcox file. Who she is and what she does (or better yet, who she works for) remains to be seen. But something tells me it's a long con to get Wilcox to expose himself and the oil company he's in dirty business with somehow and she's probably FBI or Homeland Security.

I really enjoyed this episode. Can't wait for next week!
More+
Flag
As a girl, the shoes were the first thing I noticed on that sequence. I've always admired Annie for running in heels while really sober.
Flag
Staff
Oooh, I like Augnie! Might have to make a switch!

I'm wondering if Teo's mom isn't really dead. Arthur kind of fumbled there when Annie asked about her and sure, that could be grief, but it could also be struggling to come up with a lie on the fly-- though why Arthur wouldn't have already had one figured out raises some eyebrows.

I liked it too! Pretty excited about this season so far.
Flag
Rather than pay attention to the relationship(s), I was totally annoyed by that fight scene. You cannot hit a moving car with a bat without the driver of said car being a total Dumba**. You can see them from a mile away and either run them down or swerve out of the way. And I have dived off higher bridges and I'm still alive; what was this guy, the easiest human to kill on the planet?
Flag
Different factors into play. He pretty much did a reverse belly-flop onto the water (on his back). Also, I don't know the DC or Virginia area how *deep* the water was under that bridge... perhaps it was less than 5-10 feet at that section.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, perhaps he's not dead. While I admit they did a pretty good job at making it look like he was dead coming up for a second and sinking again, it's possible he survived and Annie just didn't stick around long enough. A spy show, a guy "dying" and falling into the water? It's a coin-toss whether he/she is really dead.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members