A Covert Affairs Community
USA (ended 2014)

Covert Affairs S04E05: "Here Comes Your Man"

Okay, let's get one thing clear because we're super smart and will not be falling for this fake-out B.S.: Annie isn't dead. She just isn't. And she's not on her "last mission" (actually, I think that line might be from the episode promo). I know how marketing and hype and getting people psyched for upcoming episodes work but c'mon. 

ANYWAY, Calder took over for Auggie officially in "Here Comes Your Man" and the whole office was real sassy about it. Calder don't care. He's like a honey badger, just more attractive. In fact, Calder is so BAMFY that he didn't think twice about separating the golden couple and shipping Annie off to Vienna to something something bad guy something something Teo and forcing Auggie to make do with a super spy side project that I'm sure will come in handy later in the season because everybody spent a good chunk of time blabbing about it and explaining what it does (spy stuff, of course.)

Also, Smithsonian cover reference! Annie was "fired." Covers are hard.

Whether Calder was splitting up the wonder twins out of spite or simply because of the legitimate security concern their entire kissy-faced existence actually is can be debated, and I'm not sold on one angle or another, but the dude did have a point about how Auggie is so painfully obvious that a rookie fresh from the farm would be able to see that they're banging.

Of course, Annie and Auggie paid no mind to their mean boss and chatted regularly the entire time Annie was abroad. Also, is it just me (and sure, I could go back and check, but I won't, because I'm busy) or does Annie end up going to Vienna like, all the time? 

Unsurprisingly, Teo showed up in Vienna and wasted Annie's target, but then totally helped her not get dead until he apparently stole some rocket launchers while she wasn't looking. That's our Annie, America's finest super spy extraordinaire. Ain't no one gonna get something past Annie—except the pretty Colombian rogue with a vendetta against the guy who killed his mom and a nice pair of puppy dog eyes. <3 her. Also, yay for Annie telling Auggie to buzz off when he grilled her on the details of her mission. At least one of them still has a shred of professionalism, though the change in tune was kind of hilarious considering how hardcore Annie herself was about the secret thing just last week

Joan and Arthur went on a date. Aww. 

And Dead Seth's bod washed up, so Annie's career is potentially compromised. Again. 

Finally, Annie's fabulous glam and not-at-all-practical footwear made a return. Do you think lady spies learn how to run in stilettos without breaking their ankles at the farm? I feel like that could be a thing. I mean, Annie's cover and her costume of the night depended on looking like a goddess and you just can't wear flats with a gown like that—sure, technically you could—but you'd look silly. So even though I make fun of Annie's shoes (and pine for them), realistically, the woman can't wear flats or tennis shoes for every mission ever. My theory is that there was a "How to Run In Heels Without Dying 101" course and everybody took it. It's not like you can't run in heels, after all. 

Anyway, that's a wrap on a generally good week on The Annie and Auggie Show. I think I'm getting desensitized to their grossness because even though it was everywhere, it wasn't as annoying as usual. But since they're incapable of not being annoying, let's just say it was "desensitized." 

Plus the focus of the episode remained on the mission and Auggie's lover's quarrels were kept to the periphery, where they belong. Bye, darlings! See you next week.

SPY NOTES

– My Calder/Annie theory is that he's a good guy and they're faking Annie's death to get Wilcox to out himself to Calder. Or something. What's yours?

– Do we have to end every episode with some sort of PG-rated groping? I promise I won't forget that they're dating. 

– Did you guys see the Covert Affairs gift basket commercial for Modern Family? I actually thought it was really cute and funny. Idk. 

– Who was following Wilcox?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 5 : Episode 16

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've never watched this show, but I'm guessing when it jumps the shark they'll start naming the episodes after Killers songs.
Flag
That was better. More action and less kissy face. Plus they threw in Annie's constantly changing hair to distract us from Mr and Mrs Smith. Seriously though, how didn't that super heavyweight dude knock Annie into next week with that punch. No way she could've taken that and got up. Ahhh TV.
Flag
I LOVED this episode! The start of it with the 'bread crumbs' about the shooting was really great! I personally think that it is some type of trap for Henry I mean Annie can't that be unlucky that she is shot TWICE within the span of one year!! Seeing more of Auggie's helpful friends was really great I hope we see more of them and get to meet his brothers this season! It was really awesome to see Teo save the day for at least one second but the way he went into his ' rogue black ops mode' was equally great and kinda disappointing but I can't wait to see more of him! I had hoped that Eyal would of been the one to rescue Annie but I guess we are gonna have 2 wait until the 'fall season' to see him But seriously this episode was great! Bring on next week!
Flag
I also think Calder is a good guy who's faking Annie's death to get Wilcox to out himself. Despite the fact that he could be Wilcox's mole, I still like the guy!! He just has a good aura about him, and seems to be a good team player. Separating Annie and Auggie was a smart move, given a rookie could see they're together, like he said. Good work, Calder.

I think Joan or Arthur is having Wilcox followed. By who, I have no idea.

I also like Teo, but he's a such a wild card at this point. He's definitely operating out of his own playbook, and it's getting hard for me to see which side he's on.

Oh btw, Annie was looking HOT in that dress and those shoes!!

Flag
I've been wondering about Calder. I mean. Right now he's just too obvious a "bad guy". So I'm not wondering if they aren't setting it up for a major twist and cliff hanger as Covert Affairs has I believe, been approved for another season following this one. At first it seemed as if Arthur had gone bad, then we learned he was lying about the affair. So. I'm curious where that is going. Calder may too prove to be more than he currently appears. Or at least. I hope so.
Flag
1) Calder has Annie killed because she's too cute and kitteny for the new USA.
2) Only as long as Piper Perabo is on the show.
3) Tacky. Because reruns.
4) The Bionic Woman that's replacing Annie, apparently.
Flag
300,000 isn't enough, but 500,000 is. The denomination? Doesn't matter. Dollars, Euros, Kittens, whatever.
Flag
My Annie/Calder/Wilcox theory is exactly the same as yours, actually. Fake murder of the main character to get to big bad villain of the season is the thing.
And you're right, Annni and Auggie weren't so annoying in this episode as a little bit of badass Annie running in high heels and Smithsonian cover story returned.
I want more Joan and Arthur guys. It was just ONE SCENE. ONE DATE. Which was lovely, btw, but gimme more...

I know she's dead and all, but for a little moment I thought the woman (it was a woman, right?) following Wilcox was Lena. Crazy, I know... It was the hair...
Flag
This season is officially OFF for me. This one lost it's "Groove" ...
Annie and Auggie had so much chemistry while they were friends/colleagues. But they didn't work out as a couple at all. The chemistry is off therefore the show is lost on the romance department... As for the spy stuff... Yeah not that compelling this season. I love Peter Gallagher but I really am sick of him and his wife. I wish they weren't there at all. I usually "count flies on the ceiling" during their scenes... I don't think there's turning back from this mess of a season. I hope there is!

Flag
i predicted it in a message a while back at the end of the previous season
Flag
– Who was following Wilcox?

My money is on the brunette Arthur was meeting a few episodes ago played by Michelle Ryan. She's a known actress, bigger in the BBC than the states but still known. It seems like a waste to just show her for 20 seconds in a parking garage with Arthur and a couple glossy photos.

IMDB may only list her in the one Covert Affairs ep, but IMDB has been a little slow lately with the individual episode contributions so that doesn't rule her out for future episodes.
Flag
She was the Bionic Woman! But seriously, while she's not the star I recommend Cashback to anyone who hasn't seen it.
Flag
Yup, I was one of the few people that liked the Bionic Woman remake. I can understand some people not liking it, but what drove me nuts was how people reduced it to "It's not empowering for women: Jaime is a college dropout working in a bar, instead of a tennis pro and teacher"

Meanwhile, they said in the pilot (or second episode) that she had to drop out because their father abandoned her deaf high-school daughter and she needed to support her. They often said how smart she was and that she sacrificed a lot by not becoming a lawyer. Personally I see THAT as something to admire: sacrificing what you want so you can support your family after something hits-the-fan. But no, they kept shouting the mantra "hurtful to women, taking away a symbol, etc."
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This season of Covert Affairs just feels off to me. I'm personally not opposed to couples on tv, but I just think Auggie and Annie are a bit forced and I don't like them as a couple. Maybe it also has to do with the fact there is too much CIA infighting and intrigue, it just feels as if they were put together just to create more tension.

The same goes for everything that has to do with Wilcox. Sorry wasn't he in jail? Did he really threaten to kill Arthur's son last week? Why not put a bullet in him or have him brought up on charges. It's still a spy series right?

Calder is probably a good guy, but he is making some dumb decisions to make us doubt him, like setting Annie up with an incompetent contact to pose as a buyer. I'm with him though on the whole Auggie and Annie crap though, but he still needs to do his job properly.

Overall not a very good season thus far.
Flag
It is off. On purpose. USA is changing the tone of their network, including every show but Psych. Because they felt like losing in the ratings for a while.
Flag
I like the theory that Calder is trying to out Wilcox by faking Annie's death. I'd be glad to find out that he isn't the jackwang he seems to be. I wasn't as bothered by the groping this week. Maybe it seemed more natural this time around. In other episodes, it seemed forced. I liked the Covert Affairs welcome basket too. I'm not a Modern Family fan, but I love how USA welcomes new shows. My favorite was Michael Weston welcoming Royal Pains. My first thought on who was following Henry was Lena.
Flag
I just wrote the same thing, I thought is was Lena too, but she's like six feet under and rotten and all by now.
Flag
1. I agree - unless USA suddenly announces that there won't be season 5 (God Forbid!) there is no way they will kill Annie. After all, she's our heroine. And she has fantastic clothes and shoes (I pine for them too) not to mention the Red Jetta. She simply can't die.

2. How is Calder still DPD boss? His agent (the "Turk guy") was unpreapred and Annie is alive only thanks to Teo (Llostris swoons)

3. Arthur and Joan on a date - awww! How can you not love them? More of them please!

4. I miss Smithsonian.
Flag
I weirdly figure the person following Wilcox was Joan. But more likely just a person at Joan's direction.
Flag
Anne told Eyal that she wanted to put down roots, which normally means finding a 'home life' and Auggie would fit that. BUT it is still a spy game and there are plenty of men for her to get passionate over. This is not reality, it is entertainment. I would like to see her more 'covert' and travelling more.

Auggie is a good tech and should be behind a desk and not in the field where he is a liability. I think Calder is going to give us a twist in character, he is not working for Henry just in the right place to take care of Teo. I think he is ambitious and will see how valuable Annie is.

Danielle, not really missed, was good for the story line...

Can't wait to see the clash of CIA vs FBI... should be a no brainer on who has more pull to make things 'go away' !

Flag
FBI has lost that battle many-a-time on this show, but the stakes are a little different now. Now we're talking about a CIA operative being found dead and with the latest publicity about Arthur's "affair" they might be forced to let them follow through.

Meanwhile, we have Henry. The guy was apparently working for him, so he's the wild-card in this scenario. 70% chance he uses his contacts to push the FBI hard to find the murderer. 30% chance he instead uses those contacts to make the FBI take it easy or get it wrong entirely, else risk some of his indiscretions becoming public during the investigation.
Flag
The Smithsonian cover was mentioned! Yay! ^_^
It's totally thanks to *my* comment last week. I'm tellin' ya. :P
Flag
I've just started watching this show, I actually only watched like 3 episodes, but I didn't understand one thing, what does it mean "Are Annie and Auggie still gross"? Does the fans of the show don't like them together? I'm only still "getting to know" them, but my first impression is: I think they're cute together...
Flag
Hi, congrats on starting the show.
I really enjoyed the early seasons, it was one of my favorite shows. So I recommend starting from the beginning.
About the "gross" comment, I don't think it's THAT bad but some hate it. Lately Annie and Auggie have been romancing it a bit much, and they're acting a bit too sweet and in classic-fairy-tale-love. The kind that blinds you to all reason and makes you do stupid things.
So the result is Annie and Auggie are both saying and doing stupid things that someone in the spy world would ever do. Like, questioning why you weren't told something top-secret because you're a couple and what-not.
Sure ANnie would get hung up on some of her contacts from the past but she'd still act more professional and careful than she is now. So we went from decently independent Annie to whiney-girlfriend-Annie.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, there was some build-up to Annie and Auggie becoming a couple, and the manner in wich they are being portrayed this season isn't really living up to the expectations.
Flag
Oh, yeah. There's all this build-up for a very long time and, when it actually happens, it's not good. I understand it now. They're kinda co-dependent and that's not something we want in spies.
Flag
What were the writers thinking when they wrote this? Every scene in this was so far out of the realms of possibility that it made the show almost unwatchable. The most glaring example is the exchange of money for a truck load of items stolen from an arms dealer.What woman in her right mind would go to a meeting like that unarmed and with no backup or, apparently, no backup plan.
Another example is Calder getting the job of head of DPD. This is an under division of the clandestine services and Joanne is the head of clandestine services. In other words, she is his boss and can hire or fire at will. Also, intelligence services are part of the executive branch and Senators would have a limited influence getting somebody a job.
One other thing. How stupid do Americans think Europeans are? Do we think that they can't hear gunshots or see through glass walls? How many murders can Annie be around before someone in Interpol gets suspicious?And, as far as the murder in the US goes, after the site was cleaned by Joanne and the body has been in the water for at least 2 weeks, there should be no evidence left!
More+
Flag
Okay. First, Annie went to the meeting with the dealer very well armed with a good backup- that painting. It was the most valuable piece of the collection and she knew that the guys, Strovos or something? what was his name?, would never kill her until he had it.
As for Calder's getting the job. I'm not entirely certain about hiring protocols at the CIA, but I'm pretty sure that they are just a part of the process. This is a world where who you know and what you know about them trumps the actual position you have. I can clearly see Wilcox pulling strings to get his boy the job, given that he used to be the director of the CIA and still has a lot of people who are loyal to him and/or owe him favours etc. So, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing there out of the real of probability.
Flag
Betting your life on how much someone else values an object is totally insane; and the CIA/NSA is generally run by ex-special forces guys. No way do they have a meeting without sniper support.
Flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the only shootings last night occur in an a fancy apartment on a high-level? I thought they were way the heck up (5th floor or higher) and a fairly cleared section in front of the windows... like the nearest building in eye-sight was a while away. So glass walls would be meaningless since you wouldn't be able to see much anyway.

Noise is obviously an issue, but she was trying to hurry. Cops don't just appear on-scene within 30-seconds even in Europe. And meanwhile, such a luxurious place like that owned by an arms dealer probably has insane sound-proofing considering he's not above doing business there so it might reduce how many people could have even heard the shot.
Flag
Okay, I agree with this part of the argument. I have one other though;when you are in a major city in any country in the Western world you are under surveilence by some type of camera 90% of the time. So how do you chase someone down the street with a gun in your hand and cameras don't record it and bystanders don't call the cops on cellphones?
Flag
at least annie dies in good shoes. god forbid she was on a life or death mission in flats.
also; WAS THAT LENA AT THE END WITH THE WEIRD BLACK BOB?!
Flag
Lena was my first thought.
Flag
Mine too, but she's dead.
Flag
there is a wait so long (so long, so long) / you'll never wait sooooo loooong
Flag
See? What did I say? The heels are part of the uniform.
Flag
I liked this episode, particularly with regards to Teo's unresolved status as a wild card. I think he took the missile launchers to use them against the ALC; Teo's plans may not run counter to Annie's, but they sure don't run with her. I'm looking forward to finding out who was following Henry at the end of the episode--looked like a brunette woman.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Carmichael Show President Trump
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    American Ninja Warrior
    NEW
    NBC