We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Covert Affairs Community
USA (ended 2014)

Covert Affairs S04E10: "Levitate Me"

Soooo... I guess we're going with the Teo-Is-Really-Dead-for-Real-You-Guys canon. You know, for now. I like the way you all think! I'd say I can't believe I fell for a supposed off-screen death like Teo's, buuuuut I'd be lying. 

In "Levitate Me," Covert Affairs' mid-season finale—but not really because four weeks is hardly a serious hiatus; the show returns on October 17—we didn't get any closer to finding out the truth about Teo, or closer to any kind of resolution of anything we saw this season, but we did see Eyal, which goes a long way in earning brownie points from me because I'm shallow and he's pretty. HI EYAL! MISSED YOU! 

Okay, I guess we also got some resolution to that WTF scene from the Season 4 premiere with Calder wasting Annie in an elevator. We all knew it was B.S. because we're so smart and also because, unless I know that a series is in its TV death-throes, I assume that the protagonist gets to live unless we're watching Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey or Supernatural and even with the latter, they usually get resurrected anyway.  

Once Calder's allegiances—or at least his lack of allegiance to Henry Wilcox—became clear, so did the probable context of that scene in the elevator. Faced with an enemy who always seems to be one step ahead of everyone, and who somehow managed to charm, bribe, and lie his way back into the DPD, Annie opted to fake her death and approach Henry from a different angle. Specifically, a zombified angle. 

I'm not sure how Auggie's gonna feel about having a zombie girlfriend—or if he was even in on the plan. What did you think? I'm leaning toward Auggie knowing what Annie had in mind, especially after the mouthful he gave her about how to keep off the radar. Annie's kind of a dumdum, but she's not that dumb, to just slip up and call Auggie's cell in the heat of the moment. She knew what she was doing and since Auggie is pretty bright himself, chances are he figured it out. 

So now he has two ladyfriends who faked their deaths to ensure justice for all. Dude is gonna develop some kind of complex. Although, based on the way his entire characterization turned upside-down earlier in the season, when Augnie was a little more buoyant, I'd say he's already there. Poor Auggie. :( 

Joan and Arthur can't catch a break either, though. Fresh off of probably-maybe losing his first male heir, Arthur returned to the States to hang out in jail while everyone freaked out about his non-existent betrayal and Henry Wilcox smiled smugly in the corner. The stress of maybe losing Teo, visiting her husband in prison, babysitting Annie, and losing her job landed Joan in the hospital, but since Auggie was kicked out of the spy clubhouse too, she basically has an entire department of awesome at her personal disposal. All of their mortal enemies are so screwed. 

GOOD.

If we're being honest, this isn't the first time Annie has gone off the books to complete a mission, but it is the most extreme approach she's taken and as we saw with Auggie's ex, Helen, earlier this season, coming back from the dead is easier said than done. That makes Annie's letter to Danielle all the more poignant; while Annie wasn't actually headed for certain demise, and we totally knew that, she was as good as dead to Danielle and there's certainly a chance, for whatever reason, that Annie will be forced to remain dead to her sister and her family. We now take a four-week break from Covert Affairs, and the writers seem perfectly content to crank up the intensity and just leave it there for almost a month. But I wouldn't have it any other way. 

SPY NOTES

– WHYYYY do people keep trusting Wilcox? Is it the money? Is he just throwing money at them? Or has Annie's endless antics earned her a few nameless-but-powerful enemies? Or are these just a bunch of Arthur-haters? I just don't understand how a dude with a reputation as tarnished as Wilcox's keeps getting to party in the CIA bunker. 

– Congrats, Campbells! It's a boy! How conveniently emotional considering how dead Teo is supposed to be right now! 

– EYAL <3

– How do you think the rest of the season will play out? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 5 : Episode 16

89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yay Oded Fehr back even briefly.
And someone please shoot Henry and end this. Actually i dont know why Annie would have been so squeamish about Teo offing him (apart from the writers want her to be)
Flag
Two episodes into this season, I was bored. My exact words were "The only thing that can make this interesting for me right now is if Oded appeared as the always lovable Eyal, and if Annie for ONCE did something to her mother fudgin HAIR.". So five minutes until the credits rolled, and Eyal appeared in all his magnificant glory like a gift from the heavens. I smiled like a smitten schoolgirl. Then previews showed that a "dead" Annie was going to be rocking some brunette tresses and I actually looked up to the sky and thanked God. No really, thank you! It has only been four seasons. Four seasons of Annie gallivanting around different countries trying to be incognito with long flowing blond hair, without so much as attempting to cut her hair, dye her hair, put on a wig, wear a hat, a burka, a scarf, a freaking scrunchie. I just feel like it isn't so unusual for one to expect a spy show to show their spies actually changing up their appearance every now and then. I'm ranting. Oops.

-It is no secret that I've been less than impressed with Covert Affairs this season. At best I found it to be boring, at worst, terribly and unnecessarily convoluted and confusing. I thoroughly enjoyed the finale though. They went out with a bang. I actually find myself looking forward to Covert Affair's return in October, which I wouldn't have said a month ago.
-I guess we have to assume that Teo is really dead. I find that unfortunate. He was one of the highlights of the season, and I just didn't think he'd go down like that. It was almost too easy.
-I don't understand how anyone believes anything that Henry Wilcox says either. Is it the rich white guy thing? It must be the rich white guy thing, because no one should trust him ever. He's proven as much.
-So Wilcox opted for a son for a son, and then the Campbells have a little boy anyway. Gee that sucks, for both Teo and Henry.
-While I wasn't surprised that Calder ended up being one of the good guys, and I wasn't shocked that Annie faked her own death, it was still pretty cool watching it all play out.
-I felt like Annie's letter to Danielle would have been more poignant and carried more weight if we were ever reminded that Danielle existed. There was a split second where I had actually forgotten that she had a sister because we haven't seen her in a while, and Annie doesn't even mention her and the girls anymore. I miss that aspect of the show. Annie juggling this family life with the spy life.
-There has to be a way to make Eyal a series regular. There just has to be. I feel like Covert Affairs is at its best when Oded Fehr is gracing the screen playing the always delightful Eyal Lavine.
More+
Flag
EYAL <3 Need more Eyal NOW!!!
Flag
Hopefully Author's ex might liven things up next mini-season. Maybe she'll have history with Eyal.

What I'd LOVE to see is Augie getting some kind of miracle surgery that gives him bionic vision, but he keeps it secret as he avenges all the evil power-seekers, pretending to still be blind as his cover. Bionic vision would give some interesting special effects as we watched from his eyes.
Flag
shark jumping much ?
Flag
OK, I saw the real ending last night. Nice reenactment of the season finale of 24 season 4. So will they reenact the assassination of President Palmer on Oct. 17?
Flag
Smart Annie is back faking her death by trusting Calder, calling Eyal because we haven't seen him in a while and saying a really Read Between The Lines goodbyw to Auggie. LOVE IT.

Awwww Joan and Arthur's baby boy :) They should name him Henry. JK.
Seriously, what is it with people trusting Wilcox? He has a history, looks and even talks shady!

I hate when a character dies off screen and we're supposed to buy he's dead and then voila! he's alive!! Oh well...
Flag
I want a show with only Eyal. I love that dude so much!
Flag
YES!!!!!!!
Flag
Now that 'Graceland' has wrapped for the season, I'm waiting for Daniel Sunjata (Briggs) to guest star as Calder's replacement in South America and wait for the complete MaryAnn meltdown.

Until then, is it 4 weeks yet?
Flag
Missed ya Eyal. O.k. Annie, in hiding, Joan, Arthur and Auggie out of the bureau. Who will be their man or woman inside? Calder?
Flag
Why do people keep trusting Wilcox? Because he is conniving, manipulative and the dirty on so many people.

So nice to see Eyal. Always liked Oded Fehr from the first I saw him in The Mummy.
Flag
I was only half awake when I watched this. Lovely to learn what actually happened.
Flag
Staff
Except that we all pretty much knew what was going to happen. (Nice to get confirmation that we're right?)
Flag
someone needs to let auggie in on it because he's going to do something he regrets as a result. I feel like Helen is going to tell her.

Flag
it is such a relief that Calder isn't working for Henry because if he were Annie, Auggie, Joan they'd all be doomed. At least they have someone on the inside. I also wonder was Seth really working for Henry. Maybe he did what Annie didn't, infiltrated Henry's operation from the inside and planned to expose him?
Flag
Staff
That would be an interesting twist if Seth was! It would further complicate Annie's role in his death.
Flag
Great season so far and it's really cool that we got a lot of foreign intrigue and action instead of Annie running around DC trying to turn crappy characters into lame assets or staring googly eyed at Auggie (I like them as a couple though).

I dig Calder and hope to see him stay on as a regular for more seasons.

And YAY! to getting rid of the god awful intro credits it looked like a damn low budget Marshalls or TJ Maxx commercial. I never understood a word of it anyway...The new one is short and to the point.
Flag
Piper will come back in black, oh YEah! At this point if Annie doesn't take out the fat old man it will be disappointing. Arthur is where he wants to be. Auggie can't do much outside the building, they need to work on getting him some new eyes.
Flag
Wait, I missed Eyal. I saw the actor's name on the opening credits but I never saw him on screen. What scene was he in?
Flag
So sad he was only on for a split second
Flag
He drove the get out of jail ambulance and revived Annie at the end.
Flag
Oops, guess I stopped the DVR too soon. I thought the scene with Calder robbing Annie's dead body in the elevator was the last one.
Flag
Never stop till you see credits!
Flag
Does nobody else seem to think this being draaaaggggggedddd out? OMG - it's been at least 10 episodes with this Wilcox guy doing pretty much whatever he wants??? And a convicted traitor being allowed in the door at CIA? Not in a million years. Yes, it's a great show, great writing - but it's a 20-30 hour mini-series at this point…and it's much more about politics, with death thrown in, than focusing on some good old fashioned spy stuff!
Flag
I just want them to bring in Jean Smart and let her stab him to death.
Flag
I thought Henry was tried but never convicted of treason. If he were, wouldn't he still be in jail?
Flag
I believe last season he was either pardoned or a deal was struck.
Flag
I think he pulled some strings - the man has got a lot of strings! I forget how he got out but I'm pretty sure he was convicted…but, that seems so long ago, back in the 1960's….lol ….I can't remember.
Flag
for those of you interested in the real location where Annie was, it was Vienna, not Frankfurt. pursuit, shopping etc. was all filmed in Vienna. strangely enough they used Frankfurt as city mentioned.
Flag
Definitely great to see Eyal back. I really wish they'd use him in more stories. I don't wanna see him and Annie get together though. I'd rather Annie and Auggie end up together again...
Flag
Poor Auggie

2 big loves of his life, both would rather fake their own deaths to "do other things" than be with him.

I agree with the reviewer... the guy is going to develop one hell of a complex.
Flag
Here I thought he already had one.
Flag
Staff
Hehe, he's definitely close-- if not already there.
Flag
My money is Auggie knows and if not, Eyal will let him know (heck, Calder probably will now since he will clearly now be the Campbells guy on the inside now) but Eyal loves both Annie and Auggie and I think he called them earlier than anyone else. Heck, Auggie and Eyal apparently have their secret bat signal between them since Auggie was the one to call Eyal to save Annie from the Russian prison last year.

Anyone else actually really question why Henry rode Annie so hard in this whole revenging type plot. I mean, in a way, I get what he thinks in relation to the other three (though, we know it wasn't that bad since the relationship got better once Henry was locked up) but Annie was always Jai's friend and the one Jai trusted the most. I get using her as a pawn, but getting her so actively involved seems stupid. Heck, from the fact that she is very much like Jai and Jai hated Henry, that likely should have been a red flag for him.

I do kind of wonder with Eyal since he never left is still on his actual mission to eventually turn Annie into a Moussad agent (that was what was going on with him and his handler last season, right?)
More+
Flag
Henry is cray-cray, plain and simple.

• Henry used to have Arthur's job, meaning that he was also just as responsible for the mole running rampant all of those years as Arthur. She worked for him, betrayed him, etc just as much as under Arthur. This makes him just about as "guilty" for Jai's death as Arthur, if you want to call it that.
  • Henry was complaining (in a private conversation between them) about how Arthur did illegal things as head of the CIA... when we learned back in S1 or S2 that Henry was ALSO doing illegal things running the CIA. If this was a public conversation, then fine... but this was just Henry and Arthur talking so he's just deluded.
  • Henry said that Auggie will pay... but Auggie had NOTHING what-so-ever to do with Jai's death. He didn't even know the mole and maybe only met her once or twice. The only mark against Auggie was that he didn't like Jai. Sure, he helped Arthur train his son... but how does that hurt Jai? Or even Henry?
  • Annie... well I think at times she and Jai had her differences and I think at one point they weren't on speaking terms... or I could be just getting her confused with the Jai+Joan scenes. But beyond that, I can't tell what Henry was up to for a while there. Was he trying to win her over so his son's best friend would work for him? Was he trying to set her up to get arrested? To be killed? Obviously once Annie told him to F off he wanted her dead.
More +
Flag
What mole are you referring to? Lena?
Flag
Yeh, the Russian mole... I'd forgotten her name.

Henry admitted earlier that he blamed Arthur for Jai's death and that all of this was an eye-for-an-eye type of thing. I guess the logic being that Arthur let Lena run rampant in the CIA which is what led to Jai's death.

But it wasn't that long ago Henry was in charge, and since Lena was apparently around since even JOAN was novice... Henry was most likely in charge during Lena's double-agent status.

So really... it's just as much his fault as it is Arthurs... if you're going to assign blame at all. Jai was killed for investigating Lena's misdeeds and got shot. Sure it was on Arthur's watch but I doubt anything would have been different had Henry been in charge.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
If this show doesn't soon dispense with Wilcox as its Big Bad, I may have to stop watching it. It's one thing to have a villain that you love to hate but it's a very different thing to have one that's just simply hateful, cannot be "gotten," seemingly has moles and lackeys everywhere all over the globe, and is always several steps ahead of the entire US intelligence community. At this point, a good old-fashioned beatdown followed shortly thereafter by an illegal assassination is pretty much what I suspect most of us want to see.

If the writers have ever heard of catharsis and/or schadenfreude, hurry up and give us some already. It's getting (gotten?) ridiculous and it needs to end. Set up another supervillain if that's what's needed but it's long past time to retire Wilcox.

Flag
If last week's episode was a bad Bond parody, then this week's was a bad Bourne Identity parody - chase scene, chase scene, phone toss, phone toss, secret meetings on the fly, strained trust, chase scene - but considering the producers on the show, that's not surprising. Calder's play was so obvious it was a wonder they didn't have a more interesting way of getting there over the last few weeks.

And the plot keeps grinding into silliness, the barely out of spy school (spy school she didn't FINISH, if I remember correctly) Annie Walker is now trusting her own judgment over that of EVERYBODY despite Henry Wilcox not even being on the same continent anymore and her only move being to harass her dead frienemy's mother.

Annie's dark hair in the promo looked nice. I suspect her letter to Danielle will actually be a coded message, good ol' "Venus to the West" and such spycraft.
Flag
Back in season 2 they commented that the only thing Annie was missing from "The Farm" was firearms combat. Even though Auggie had to give her more help in her close-combat training (she wasn't bad, just not as good as a regular Agent).

She later asked Joan if she could get firearms training for that at Langley after a mission went a little sideways... she realized that she wasn't as proficient in firearms as she should be. I think a montage later and we saw Action Movie Annie. Since then she's been brandishing a gun on-screen a lot more.

She ALSO went BACK to the farm at one point under-cover and blew all of the students away with her skill. But I forget if they pulled her before she could finish taking all of the tests.
Flag
"but we did see Eyal, which goes a long way in earning brownie points from me because I'm shallow and he's pretty. HI EYAL! MISSED YOU!"

lmao!! Love it!
Flag
I loved Eyal's cameo he is one of Annie's truest friends always there when she needs him! I loved Annie's idea I just hope it works! It's gonna be so cool seeing Annie go all 'dark' and try to make it out in the world by herself with no CIA safety net & no Auggie, but I think she'll do just fine she's one resourceful girl. I am super excited for the show to come back on I cannot wait to see how the rest of this season will play out!
Flag
I truly enjoy the characters, the writing and the complexity of this show. As long as the writing stays good, I don't care how the plot twists. Gotta love the Mossad agent, (though he is not listed with the cast). I only wish that Annie had retained a little more glamour. Is Gregory Itzin (Wilcox) ill, he seems to have blown out like a puffer fish. And too late, but I wish they had kept the sexual tension between Auggie and Annie as friends but now that it's done, might as well make it good. I actually would like to see Tao alive and back in covert action. And Calder, happy it is still unclear whose side he is on, maybe there is a third side, life actually has hundreds of sides, no black and white please.
Flag
Even knowing a bit what was going to happen, it was interesting to see.

I still don't like Wilcox as a bad guy, and his motivations suck. It is easier to believe when world domination is the goal. But I liked the spy work more now, so I am not sure if I should complain. Now you know, if you have a shop in town anywhere in the world, and some stuff is missing, it is probably a spy that got in trouble and had to take it from you.

And I am fairly certain that Teo is coming back.
Flag
It was great! Always good to see Eyal pop up in a pinch, when Annie needs him. Also love that we only have to wait 4 weeks for the back half of the season! Looking forward to a darker Annie (hair color and otherwise).
Flag
Staff
I'm really excited for the shorter break too, especially this season because Covert Affairs has really excelled at keeping the momentum going.
Flag
Last week I predicted that Annie's death scene was a hoax to get her out of Franfurt alive - I was right. She went underground and is now a rogue agent / officially dead.

Ms Mr - Bones is just an awesome tv background song. They finally showed us the whole opening scene from the first episode of season 4.

Poor Joan - I hope she'll be alright and she will get her job back ASAP.

Nice to see you again, Eyal - I knew you would never leave Mossad.

So from now on Calder is going to be a good guy. I didn't expect that.

[Spoilers] - Annie is going to be a brunette in October - yay!

I loved the mid-season final I can't wait for next episode!

See you in four weeks MaryAnn!
Flag
Staff
See you then! Yay brunettes! I'm also pretty excited about Calder being a confirmed good guy. He's rather awesome when he isn't being awful to our favorites.
Flag
Yes! That's more like it. Let's make Annie interesting again and get more actual spy stuff into the series. Can't wait to see the next episodes.
Flag
yes, more spy stuff and less of wilcox please - there have to be better threats around for the CIA.
Flag
Since 2-3 episodes back that we know Calder is just a douch, we knew that was a fake death
I was calling for the return of The Isreali spy and it showed why, 1 minute in the episode and there is more chemistry between them than the whole season between Auggie and Annie.
The season got a slow start but now freed from the CIA it s time to take Henry for good. 3 episodes left to get a bang and hoppefully another season with a little bit less of... and a little bit more of.....( fill the blanks :) )
Flag
I think I am ambivalent about this season. It is always a better show when it concentrates more on the relationships and less on the violence, of which there has been a great deal this season. It has also tended to ignore reality more, with the writers doing whatever they need to do to put people in certain positions or places, without regard as to whether it could ever conceivably happen. Henry being at Langley totally blew me away. There is no way the CIA would let a convicted traitor back in the building and no Senator has the kind of power that they show Senator Pierson having. I am really hoping the writers clean this up and start writing tighter, cleaner episodes with less violence with the start of the new mid season return. This is still a good show and I think a little work on the writers part could make it great.
Flag
Staff
That no one thought anything of Henry just chillin' at Langley really bothered me. I'm not sure that I want a complete return to relationships-only, but I definitely agree with you in the sense that the most recent episodes have been more explosions-and-shootings driven than anything else to the point that it's hard to talk about the plot at times. I don't need to tell you that a helicopter blew up last week. You saw that. But outside of that, there hasn't been much else going on, which is only sustainable for so long.
Flag
Yep, the helicopter explosion was central to the storyline, but all of the other deaths (and there has been at least one per episode,pretty much) have been inconsequential characters except Teo, and I maintain that he is still alive in the same way as Annie courtesy of Joanne.
Flag
Joan's tears looked too real to have helped Teo. Maybe Arthur is in on it.
Flag
I agree, that was too much of a stretch putting Wilcox at Langley. The whole wilcox thing is full of holes and rather bad in my opinion. But I think the violence comes trying to make Annie be a serious spy, and for that, I approve.
Flag
are there 13 or 16 episodes this season
Flag
16 but we have to wait until Oct 17 for the next one.
Flag
okay thanks so finale 6 of the season start on 10/17/13 and end on 11/21/13 correct
Flag
Good finale. I've always liked Annie's character, which involves putting her heart on her sleeve and going for risky hail marys. To me, that makes her the more preferable spy. She has assets like Eyal that trust her and would go to great lengths to help her. Not every spy has to be a lone wolf to be the "best" spy he/she can be. Faking her death the way Helen did is risky, but the payoff could be tremendous, especially if it will get Henry Wilcox to suffer. At some point, that SOB has to answer for his crimes, and if this is what Annie believes will work, then I'm all for it. I believe Annie Walker is more than capable of pulling this off, despite how hard it will be on her, Auggie and everyone else she cares about.

I'm also happy Calder decided to play ball with Annie on getting Wilcox. I did think he would be a hard ass about it (which he was), but eventually see it from her side. Good for him. If he returns next season, I'll definitely look forward to it.

The confrontation between Arthur and Henry was intense. I definitely felt Arthur's pain and would not have minded him decking Henry, but he did the smarter thing (being the smart man he is) and laid off. At this point, Henry is a dead man walking to me.

I also liked Joan and Auggie together. It was good seeing them as boss/worker again.
Joan: "We may be out of a job, but I'm still your boss"
Auggie: "Yes, maam".

Loved that line lol!!!
More+
Flag
Wow, i didn't know Helen was actually shot. I mean, she just sat up like she didn't have two bulletts in her chest
Flag
i hope we get a 5th season
Flag
So was Auggie playing along...she basically told him that she's be doing the same thing Helen did. I mean and on top of that come on...he is going to know because someone we know and love will likely tell him.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members