A Covert Affairs Community
USA (ended 2014)

Covert Affairs S04E01: "Vamos"

Oh boy. Okay, so this is weird and hard for me to admit given that I was a vocal Auggie/Annie supporter for the entirety of last season, but watching those two get it on for realisies was kind of like when you have those two best friends who you used to hang out with all the time, and then they start dating, and you still hang out, but now they suck face on the sofa for the duration of MST:3K and it's awkward because they keep giving you the "shut up" face every time you try to chirp in with your own smart-ass comments about The Beast of Yucca Flats. 

I won't say that I don't like the relationship because I do feel like it's a natural progression for Annie and Auggie as characters. I just have to get used to it—though I have to say that I really miss badass Annie, and if this entire season ends up consisting of Annie freaking out every time someone shoots at her BF it's going to get irritating. YOU'RE A SPY, WOMAN! YOU HAVE LEATHER "SRS BSNS" GLOVES

What I'm saying is this: Don't be that "girl spy," Annie. Don't do it. 

Annie rocked the srs bsns gloves in the very first scene of "Vamos" as she followed a lead from Henry Wilcox that implicated Arthur in some bad dealings and possibly in Jai's death (remember when that happened?) because it's now been an entire year out here in the real world and those impatient A-holes like me are starting to complain about it. 

When Wilcox's information appeared to be accurate and it looked as if Arthur was indeed sending money to a terrorist group in Colombia, Annie decided to go down South American way to investigate, and Auggie decided to go with her because they're probably co-dependent or something. 

Unsurprisingly, no one in Colombia was terribly happy to see them. Spur-of-the-moment spy adventures tend to not go over so well with the locals. Shocker. You'd think Annie would have learned that in Season 3, but, you know, this time she had to save Auggie's career, so it was a totally different situation. 

Because yes, Henry Wilcox also implicated Auggie in Arthur's shenanigans. This is how we know Wilcox is probably lying his face off. 

However, regardless of whether or not Wilcox's information was completely correct or his intentions unquestionably noble, the man did uncover something fishy about Arthur's dealings in Colombia. He just didn't have the whole picture—or he did and he just wasn't willing to share it with the class. 

Arthur really was sending sweet, sweet moolah to Colombia and Auggie really did know about it, but the name on the account belonged to Arthur's illegitimate son and not a terrorist cell. Well, Arthur's kid could be a bad guy, but we don't really know that and we also don't know whether Arthur knows that, and between that reveal and Joan's pregnancy storyline all coming to life on dearly departed Jai's birthday, can we say symbolism much, Covert Affairs?

After being wounded in a shoot-out, Auggie protested that it was only a flesh wound, but convinced Annie to return to the U.S. of A. where Arthur, confronted with the truth about Auggie and Annie's trip and fully aware of Wilcox's shenanigans, stepped down from his post and admitted his affair to his colleagues—well, except for Joan, because Arthur only likes to mix his public and professional lives when it gets him laid, not when it leaves him with real consequences to deal with. 

This shift in focus—from outside threats like last season's Simon and new girl/obvious villain Lena to the inner workings of a department that's been troubled since the start of Covert Affairs' very first season—is a good call at this point in the series' life. That it's taken this long to really tackle Jai's murder, while a wee bit irritating (especially because last season started to suck later on), is also an excellent illustration of the problems that Annie's little corner of the CIA constantly struggles with. It's easy for "real lives" and "cover lives" to intersect and create conflicts that run dangerously deep, beyond even the original perpetrators. While it's not easy to clean up these messes, simply letting them go un-addressed isn't exactly a better alternative. In a career where so much relies on the sanctity of secrets, there seems to be some confusion from numerous parties as to when it's appropriate—maybe even imperative—that the truth be told.  After four seasons' worth of whispers, it's about time we focused on the matters close to home; those threats can be just as destructive as the ones that originate overseas. 

NOTES

– "There are laws, but not really." Oh, don't pick on Colombia. You can make that argument for anywhere, really. 

– How truthful do you think Henry and Arthur are being? Who do you think is the real baddie here? 

– How do you feel about Auggie/Annie in action?

– What'd you think of the premiere? What do you hope to see this season? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 5 : Episode 16

73 Comments
Comments (73)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
- Yep, and unwritten laws in Columbia may actually be much clearer than in some other places.
- I think none of them is truthful, and both of them are manipulative guys playing their own agenda (and these agendas are not philanthropic). That's very "real life". I like that.
- Better now. I was horrified that they came together at the end of last season (because I still want to see a cop-or-something-show where the male and female main characters stay friends and do NOT become romantically involved) but I'm starting to accept it. However Annie is still a terrible spy, and if she loses her badassery over being in schmoop world, I don't know what's left.
- I liked it, because, like you, I like that the threat come from inside (as the do most of the time). As for what I hope, I'd say another baddass relationship for Annie, but that won't happen so... I need an external character to like (even if they're not nice or good people: I did with Simon, and Jay and Lena at the beginning before she became too obvious a villain). Maybe that guy from Columbia (the "sherif") could be that, we'll see.

Ps: Arthur's son is very very physically intelligent. I approve.
More+
Flag
"Be careful what you wish for, you may get it." - cliche.
I just caught this episode. Auggie/Annie was so annoying, their dynamic was way off the mark and bothered me to no end, they were just so much less than it used to be, and with such a convoluted plot in play it really didn't need this layer stomping it down further and further.
I don't buy Annie and Auggie as a natural progression for these characters, Annie's life had to be torn to shreds and her character disassembled just to get her to the point of even thinking of Auggie that way, and Auggie's feelings seemed to come entirely out of nowhere as he basically rebounded from a much deeper relationship to Annie.
Hill Harper felt like a woefully obvious transplant and just didn't do it for me. Henry's chin grew a new chin, I guess that's where he stores his omnipotence powers. Arthur had soapy drama and then poof, Joan now has soapy drama. This was a real disappointing step backwards.
Auggie actually said it was a graze, not a flesh wound. In fact, it was a muscle-penetrating wound that should have left him entirely incapacitated in that arm for weeks.
I've now got one foot out the door on Covert Affairs, I'm sorry to say.
More+
Flag
I was a faithful fan of this show for the first three seasons. Even as season 3 veered from spy thriller to soap opera, I watched. But the incestuous ick factor of Annie and Auggie boinking was just too much, and I had to delete the show from my season pass manager without subjecting myself to that. If the show doesn't get cancelled, and manages to return to its roots, I'll be back. Until then, ewwwwwwww.
Flag
This was a awesome season premiere it was even better than last years!

The 'flash-forward' at the beginning was both equally terrifying and tantalizing all at once.

I sincerely hope that Annie and Auggie can survive the fall out!

Seeing all of the Annie&Auggie sexiness was so great!

I still don't trust Henry Wilcox! Arthur's confession and Auggie's revelation about him were equally compelling!

I cannot wait 4 the next episode! This season is gonna ROCK!
Flag
You forgot to note the new opener! I didn't really like the old one that much, but the new one is kinda lackluster.....
Flag
I only just finished watching season 3 and wow did it go up about 10 notches in excitement from the previous season. I liked not loved this show until season 3. It is no Alias however it's really started to come into it's own and Annie falling for Simon was one of the most exciting and pinnacle points of the show in my eyes. It took the show from good to great!! I am still mourning the loss of Simon and it seems to me that the Auggie/Annie relationship started way too fast since it feels like not long ago Auggie was asking Parker to marry him and Annie was about to run off with Simon (albeit briefly). I kinda guessed it was bound to happen between the two but feel they could have held off a little longer. I'm intrigued by the new story line and hope that this show continues to build after season 3. I hope they bring back Eyal as I really love his character and the relationship he has with Annie.
Flag
Yep the whole Auggie-Annie thing doesn't work at all... Annie is already sweet enough (some would say too sweet) in the tough world of spies so with a bad guy/badass (Eyal, Simon, that first boyfriend of hers) it works but with another sweety like Auggie it is far too sugary, and I am not buying any dark Auggie secret at this stage.... It goes against everything we know about his character, so this is ruining an otherwise OK show... It is no Alias that's for sure but it was summer-watchable... now it is just cringeworthy...
Flag
Ugh I don't like Auggie/Annie. As friends, yes, they're awesome! But they have more of a brother/sister relationship, and in the real world that happens all. the. time., but this is TV so nooooo they have to either date or stay far, far away from each other. Wish we could just have a good friendship instead of always a romance.
And then, I'm still pining for Eyal....
Flag
And I like that it's filming on location wherever they go.
Flag
This show really picked itself up last season and turned into something different than earlier. I like the darker tone, the acting and the storyline.
Flag
I already miss Eyal. However, I will accept this Auggie/Annie pairing for now, I'm sure cracks will appear soon. The person who's coming out of this the worst is Joan, she's now pregnant and her husband just resigned because if this extra-marital affair, poor lady! Looking forward to next weeks ep, the Henry Wilcox is a sneaky one and as we know Annie sometimes isn't the smartest tool in the shed, so we'll have to see how this plays out.
Flag
- both aren't
- any Auggie action is good action
- am not sure if I liked how they both turned soft while on duty.
Flag
Well, I prefer Annie and Eyal. I think they have more chemistry but it's been pretty obvious that Annie and Auggie have been set up to end up together since the premiere. I agree with the commenters. There seemed to be little if any Annie and Auggie chemistry in this episode.

I also have a pet peeve about this episode. I know Auggie is only acting like a blind person but in the last part of the episode when Hill Harper took Auggie's hand to take him to Annie, I kept thinking, there is NO WAY a blind person could be led in that manner. Grabbing someone's hand and dragging him around like that is not how you would lead a blind person. I don't know anyone blind but when I drive to the office in the mornings, I always pass by a blind couple in their early 40s. they walk together by putting one hand on another's shoulder so someone is leading the other. Both have their canes out. I have also seen blind people at Costco being led around the store by a seeing person. The blind person walks behind the seeing person with one hand on the shoulder and one hand swishing the cane around. Also, the blind person is WALKING not running. But this is just a pet peeve. I let a lot of the blind acting go in the show but what was shown in this episode was just horrific and very false.

On another note, I am enjoying the new storyline. I like the internal issue scope.
More+
Flag
Television shows tend to go downhill when the two "will they?/won't they" characters get together. I felt that Auggie and Annie were the wwww? characters. I just hoped it was not true. I liked it better when they were just friends. I liked Eyel. I hope this does not happen with CA. I do like the show, but I do not like when friends become more than friends. It tends to shift the focus away from what I liked about the show in the first place.. I am not sure whether or not Arthur is the big bad, but I am quite certain that Henry is very bad. He is almost always the bad guy in any tv show he does.
Flag
So what do you think is the skeleton in Auggie's closet that Arthur hinted at?
Flag

Finally, finally, finally, covert affairs is back...YES!!!! As most people said, I liked the premiere and this season's problems definitely are more domestic than international and I think that it's a good thing as the agency needs to start looking into their internal affairs and see what's going on. The whole Arthur's illegitimate son, Joan's pregnancy, and the possibility that Henry may actually be on to something concerning Arthur is definitely making this season very intriguing.

In addition, I loved the Annie/Auggie in action scene and thought it was fun to watch and for the most part, should happen more often. I love seeing them work together as I think that they are a great pair. Their relationship on the other hand, I think that its being forced out too early, and think they should of tried waiting for another episode or so. But as usual, I love seeing them together and just seeing that makes me happy.
Flag
First, the relationship between Auggie and Annie feels forced, their relationship was based upon strong friendship, making it a romantic thing now just feels brazen. Not too important though but still.

This "Arthur has some secrets that make him a terrorist" - setup seems really poor. I think I'll enjoy the side missions more this season but the fact that Joan is pregnant was an interesting turn of event. Then again Henry Wilcox wants to stir things up and have something to do because he retired too early and lost his son too early, he basically has nothing else to do.
Flag
I really liked the premiere. For starters, I loved the flashforward opening sequence- you dive into the episode with a nice amount of tension and mystery that keeps you coming back for more.
I did noticed the change with the domestic threat hitting close to home. Henry Wilcox is definitely shady and clearly wants to bring Arthur down, (which he most likely will) but Arthur is no saint and I'm sure he's not being completely honest. That being said, I read and liked the theory that his using his Colombian son and affair as a cover for something else, something deep, which I think Auggie has something to do with. I love Auggie Anderson and I love that he's finally with Annie, but he's not 100% clean on this either - As for Annie, as most of you said, I expect badass Annie to return. I don't mind that she's concerned about Auggie or that she'd do anything for him (for any of her friends for that matter) but I want to see some Walker awesomeness that makes me so nervous for her life that I close my eyes a second longer than actually needed.
My concern this season is Joan - She's been struggling with things from last seasons (which don't just go away) and now a pregnancy is added. On top of that, husband resigned and basically told the world he had an affair. Also a son. Doesn't exactly do wonders for a person... I like her, so even though I hope for the sake of the character that her life goes a little upside down, that she's okay.
More+
Flag
Covert Affairs has a habit of putting the really good stuff in the last few minutes of the episode. Each episode of last season, I was ready to sign off on this show, but something would happen in the last few minutes that made me tune in to the next episode. In last seasons finale, I was ready to delete the show from my DVR lineup, but lo and behold, Auggie and Annie finally got together. I wanted it. However, there was not a single drop of chemistry between them in this episode. Like another commenter said, it seemed so forced. And I can't imagine why. Auggie is something delicious!

Oh well....anyway, I like the addition of Hill Harper. He will bring interesting to the show.

Also, I must point out, I don't believe that Arthur had an affair. I believe that's a cover story for what's really going on. And I'm positive that the woman in the parking garage is not Teo's mother.

To make it so high up the CIA chain of command, I'm sure Henry and Arthur are both baddies in their own rights. However, Henry is positively sinister with his badness.
Flag
1. Woohoo! Covert Affairs is back! Annie is back! Auggie is back! Joan is back! Yay!

2. What an awesome opening sequence! That's the Annie I want to see each week! "Bones" by Ms Mr WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE for the background. Is Annie going to die at the end of season / in 10 weeks time? Please say no!

3. I love Annie and Auggie together. I would gladly join them ;) Also since Auggie is blind he has to have very nimble fingers...

4. WHERE IS COVERT AFFAIRS' OPENING SONG?! BRING BACK THE SONG!!!! DANCING TO THE OPENING SONG IS MY COVERT AFFAIRS' RITUAL!!!

5. What a cute squirrel!

6. Joan is pregnant! Congratulations!

7. Arthur's son, Theo is very handsome. More of him, please.

8. Poor Joan :( Arthur, you bastard!

I'm so happy Covert Affairs is back! Also I'm sorry for my fangirl outburst - I can't help it :)

MaryAnn - where is community for Covert Affairs?
Flag
Joan - the actress is pregnant in real life...

That wasn't fake chubbiness in her face lol
Flag
I didn't know that. Good for her :)
Flag
I found that most of the chemistry between Auggie and Annie was suddenly lost. Didn't feel anything about the intimate scenes. Felt forced. Plus, I didn't get much of the whole Colombia situation with everybody shooting at everybody, and then one of them being Arthur's son (with that woman at the parking, I suppose?). Little bit of nonsense so far. Love this show, though, so I am keeping hopes for the season.
Flag
"(with that woman at the parking, I suppose"

That woman in the parking lot was played by the incredibly gorgeous Michelle Ryan of BBC fame. Also from the short-lasting Bionic Woman remake.

She's about 29 years old. So no amount of hand-waving is going to explain that guy being her son.

So... definitely something else going on here.
Flag
THANKS! I couldn't think of where I saw her before!!

I think she's Arthur's son's handler...
Flag
ok, let's see about that :)
Flag
Joan pregnant at 40+?

Don't take this the wrong way (I've been saying that a lot today). I love the actress that plays Joan (Kari Matchett) and think she's gorgeous.

But, the actress is 43 so I imagine her character is supposed to be around that age.

So... are we going to have a storyline where there are concerns about the pregnancy? I've heard that past 40, having children starts to become an even more serious matter. Dangers for the mother AND the baby.

And yet her doctor seemed pretty chipper about the whole situation.
Flag
Kari Matchett is pregnant in real life. The creators just did an interview that they were excited to incorporate that into the story. Don't be rude.
Flag
God, I wasn't being rude. Read the whole post. I think she's lovely.

I was just wondering if the whole pregnant-over-40 and potential health problems was going to be a storyline. Since usually it at least comes up when a fictional character gets pregnant after 40.
Flag
Kari Matchett's not pregnant in real life? Her face seemed rounder and we never really saw a full body shot of her so I just thought she was (and it seemed kind of random that Joan would be pregnant now and at her age, even though many women 40+ are having healthy babies).
Flag
could be, now that you mention... her face looked rounder indeed
Flag
Maybe they didn't want to start down the at risk pregnancy storyline path. Usually on TV if someone has the sniffles it means they're about to die of the plague, so the probably wanted to avoid the whole thing.
Flag
it is a risk pregnancy, but something that happens very often nowadays
Flag
I know it happens, obviously.

But usually when it happens, whether in real life of a TV character over 40, we get some mention of it. Such as when being told by the doctor, it's not just smiles and "Congrats!"

In any case, I wonder if THAT whole thing will be a plot point.
Flag
40 years old is not a strage age to be pregant these days, and doctors do congratulate you same as 20 year olds (and more so that if you are, let's say, 15 yo) - I suppose you are younger and see 40 year-olders as grandmothers or something LOL - doesn't matter. The problem is that I don't really know what this season is headed, have no clue. So far it looks lame to me. Hope it gets more defined (and interesting) starting next week already.

Flag
LOL, god no. My mom was in their low 30's when they had me, maybe like 38 when she had my youngest brother which isn't that far from 40.

I'm just saying, they usually on TV when one of the characters finds out she's pregnant and she's over 40... the whole "age / safety" thing becomes a storyline. Even if it's just for 1/2 of one episode.

I was expecting it to come up in conversation when she told Arthur, but I guess she never got around to having their talk on-camera.

In general, it's a "concern" but not an "OMG YOU'RE DOOMED!" concern.
Flag
I'm sorry, this is going to sound like I'm anti-blind or something, but I'm not.

Why does Auggie keep insisting on going into the field!?!? I realize it's the writers, they want him to play a bigger role than just manning the comms, but still.

But a blind man just appearing in some random city in another country... that's asking for trouble. Especially when said blind man is on an op that will require running around, going to seedy areas, and fighting.

It's just a bit "out there" for me. Sure, a blind person is probably quite useful in a place they know very well (home town, house, business, etc.) Or if given enough time with a map and such maybe he can get the lay of the land. But, running to a strange foreign city with maybe a day's notice? Really? He'd be more helpful on Annie's cellphone and using a laptop at Starbucks to bring up intel.
Flag
and if he loves Annie so much why does he keep putting her at risk having to look after the blind guy....dumb
Flag
I've thought about that too if for no other reason than he would stick out in the crowd when the point of being a spy is to blend in. That being said, Auggie is the reason I watch the show so any excuse to give him airtime is good with me.
Flag
I am going to bed after working all night, but needed to see Covert Affairs first! :-P

Well, I guess it was paradise for Auggie/Annie shippers, myself I prefer to ship Annie/Eyal!

Anyway, nice season debut: like all starting relationships they can't stop thinking about each other... is that going to be an issue?

"There are laws, but not really." Yes you can say that about most countries in Central and South America (and in some other continents too.) I do not think Colombians will feel insulted... I should know since I was born in Costa Rica and in most US movies/series all criminals end up hiding here LOL!
Flag
the whole Annie/Auggie thing is not working for me at all and why did he follow her and put both of their lives in danger - he's blind for goodness sake!!, what an idiot
Flag
I agree - I get that it's great that the show makes an inroad into showing how Auggie can lead not just a normal life but a highly performing one as an agent but making him into a field agent is just stupid. It is unnecessary to show that Auggie is great and wants to back up Annie and it goes beyond what is credible even for this type of show...
Flag
Blind does not mean useless dear... I thought Auggie has proved that in the past 3 years, no? Blind people prove it everyday.
Plus it feels like Annie is delighted taking care of him LOL
Flag
didn't say blind meant useless...just that auggie was an idiot for putting both his and annie's life in danger...how can he help her in the field...he makes it worse, she has to look out for him all the time...just saying...
Flag
Blind people DO prove it every day. They're quite capable.

But much of a blind person's capabilities revolve around them being intimate with their surroundings: to know where things are and take things slow. The better they know the environment, the better off they'll be. Sure, drop them off somewhere new and they'll get by well enough though they'll need some help from passers-by. Maybe a GPS helps, but only so much.

But drop one in a middle of a foreign city and how are they supposed to do well. ESPECIALLY if you're going into a situation that's almost gauranteed to be deadly.

I don't mean "they find their way around and stay out of trouble" or "go to business meetings" But, dropping them into a potentially hostile situation where they may have to run, fight, or shoot the drop of a hat?!?

I'm sure anyone without arm's reach of Auggie will get a pounding, he's still a capable close-quarters-fighter. But this is about surviving a spy mission.
Flag
Whether it's truth or not, the mythology set by the show is that Auggie is very comfortable in unknown environments and adapts quickly to changing circumstances. They spent a whole episode exploring this in season two's "Half a World Away", and have touched on it in other episodes.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You know how it is when you're in a new relationship, you try to get killed for them.
Flag
I like your take on relationships - Dear Abby move on... It is Dear Safibwana now
Flag
Annie has been cheating with Matt Perry during the off season?--on season? What? Anyway, she's sort of lost her edge. I am, however, confident she will get it back--sooner rather than later, we hope. Bad ass Annie is more important than Augie and Annie. And what about bad ass Augie--blind guy kicked my ass...DAMN! I hope you can tell I love this show and hope they don't mess it up. Is Annie's sister dead? Or most probably on what they refer to as permanent hiatus. Say hi to Richie's brother Chuck while you're there, Danielle...
Flag
Danielle moved to the West coast in the hopes of rekindling her marriage with her cheating husband. Annoying reason to remove her from the plot, but there you go. I think they ran out of things to do with her once she found out about Annie's real job. (Although I thought the most fun they had with her was when she was picking up guys in Europe on one of Annie's missions while separated from her husband.)
Flag
I totally agree...
Flag
Hmmm.... I feel like they could have avoided the whole trip if Auggie had just said that Arthur had a son down there and that's what was going on. A good time to tell Annie all of this was when they were in bed together and she was spilling all of her intel to him and they were all like, "Yeah, no secrets between us if this is going to work." I guess it's not going to work?

Not sure where it's all going to go, but Henry Wilcox is definitely a snake in the grass. Also, that elevator scene at the beginning, ten weeks later, wasn't it the CIA Columbia guy the one that was shooting at Annie? Am I remembering that right?

Annie/Auggie - another relationship I was rooting for (see: Suits), but also one I really didn't have much feeling about when it actually happened. I think you hit the nail on the head, MaryAnn. Don't be THAT girl, Annie.

No specific expectations for the season. Just want it to be exciting and to surprise me a few times along the way (I don't ask for much :) ).
Flag
Auggie didn't realize that Teo was the person for which they were searching. He didn't confirm that until they actually met him. It would have been wrong to give up some one else's secret without having that confirmation.
Flag
Staff
" I feel like they could have avoided the whole trip if Auggie had just said that Arthur had a son down there and that's what was going on."

THIS. The fact that Auggie knew the whole time pretty much rendered the entire trip pointless. Great start to a trusting relationship! :p

Flag
Colombia is a big place and in American cinema is used as the basis for a lot of shady dealings. I'm sure there are other national-security things going on there besides the son; some of which might involve an old operation of Arthur's. So it not occurring to Auggie that it was all about the son is acceptable.

Flag
I liked the premiere. Like you said, this season's problems definitely have more domestic than international roots, and it's a good change for the show. Arthur's illegitimate son, Joan's pregnancy, and the possibility that Henry may actually be on to something concerning Arthur and Joan are already making this season very intriguing.

Arthur may have his misdoings here and there, especially with writing off his own son, but Henry Wilcox makes him look like a damn philanthropist. Henry is and always will be the real baddie. No contest to me.

Annie/Auggie in action was fun to watch and for the most part, needed to happen. At least it only took them three season instead of dragging it out for longer. The Colombia action was great to me too. Also, Hill Harper?!! Nice!!!! Love him as an actor.
Flag
I thought the Russian mole last year arranged for Jai's death. You know, since he had a metric ton of evidence starting to slightly point to her.

Heck didn't she try to frame Annie last year by trying to link her to the bomber? Though I'm not 100% clear on that memory.
Flag
Staff
That's what I thought too, but Wilcox keeps bringing it up. I feel like he's crazypants and just WANTS Arthur to be responsible at this point.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members