We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Covert Affairs Community
USA (ended 2014)

Covert Affairs S04E06: "Space (I Believe In)"

Vincent the FBI guy returned (HI, VINCE!) to terrorize Annie when Seth the Mole's surprisingly not gross and slimy bod was fished out of the water. Actually, a more accurate description would be that Annie got to terrorizin' Vinny, because Joan decided to make her the CIA's liaison to the FBI during the investigation because that's not obvious or anything, especially when you're working with/for a shady all-knowing dude like Calder. <3 Calder. He takes no one's sass—except Joan's, because Joan is a pro when it comes to handing out the sass. 

When an exasperated Vincent confronted Annie about her sudden over-involvement with his case, he referred to Annie's shenanigans as that "cat and mouse bullshit" and at it's core, that's really what "Space (I Believe In)" was all about. Seth's body was retrieved but whatever, and Joan cleaned his apartment so Annie should've been in the clear, but Vincent doesn't suck at his job, and he quickly determined that Seth was totally murdered. It's cool, though, because there was no physical evidence to tie Annie to Dead Seth's swan dive... except for the DNA under his fingernails. "I thought the river washed it away!" Aww, Annie, you're cute. Now sit down and let the adults talk. 

Auggie tried to break into the FBI database to fix things, but apparently the FBI has the one database in the world that Auggie Anderson can't hack. Meanwhile, Annie tried to throw Wilcox under the crosstown special, but the man is practically untouchable despite having done time for treason (sort of) and not-so-happily going on his merry way to become the eternal thorn in the CIA's side. <3 Wilcox, too. Now that we're going with the "Wilcox is just traumatized/grief-stricken/guilt-ridden over Jai's death and that's why he's a raging asshat" angle, we're tentatively allowed to love him. When Vincent confronted Wilcox (lots of confrontation this week, kids) about his connection to Annie and (probably) Annie's DNA showing up under Dead Seth's fingernails, Wilcox effortlessly got Annie off the hook and their confrontation was delicious.  

Annie is in a tough spot at this point in the season. Last season's drama with Simon and Lena shattered Annie's formerly squeaky clean image, but her entanglement with Wilcox—and the way that, even unknowingly, the man has forced Annie and her people into very uncomfortable situations—seems worse. Just think about the lengths Annie, Joan, and Auggie have gone to in recent episodes to cover their tracks and stay (barely) ahead of Wilcox. Someone had be accountable for Seth's death, and it couldn't be Annie. An innocent dude ultimately took the literal fall for Seth's demise. He may very well have been guilty of something—he was established as a drug dealer and didn't seem at all surprised when the cops knocked on his door. However, the drug dealer didn't kill Seth. Neither did Annie, really, but that's where we loop back around to all of these secrets and spy games that just keep spiraling out of control. The things that Annie, Auggie, Joan, and their other allies are being forced to do to keep themselves clean has the unfortunate side effect of leaving them pretty freaking dirty. 

So Annie won't be going to jail over Seth after all (obvious, but still yay!), Joan continues to reign as queen of the office snarking, and Auggie apparently only does work when a situation directly involves Annie because he's bad at dating co-workers. Annie seems to have gotten the hang of it, though. This has been the best week yet for Augnie not making me barf in my mouth. Also, I missed Joan and Arthur being awesome together. More please! Bye! 

SPY NOTES

– Got a little bit of a flashdrive problem there, Auggie?

– My Calder theory still stands. I don't think the dude is crooked. I think he's so straight and narrow that everyone else looks bad by comparison. 

– Can I say again how much I love the Wilcox-is-crazy-with-grief storyline? So much more interesting than a run-of-the-mill evildoer. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2014

Season 5 : Episode 16

32 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I finally watched this episode, and I'm done with this series at the end of the season. It's gone from a sharp, fresh take on its subject to a cheap, soapy "Alias" knockoff. Annie fails Spy 101 over and over, that crap with getting caught in the evidence locker was awful and then to blurt all that shit out at Henry was clumsy nonsense meant to drive a plot, not feel in any way like espionage.
Flag
Don't know what to say. I stopped watching at episode 2 out of pure boredom. Now I decided that I owed to this show to watch it even lightly, and went with a lot of pain through the episodes. It took me forever. I wish I wanted to marathon this. I didn't.

What I like: there is a lot more spy action now in the show, and so far Auggie's romantic connection with Annie doesn't interfere with the action. Annie is kicking ass, killing people and running streets. Action is good. I do like also that they keep adding some new characters, since we were running out.

What I don't like: anything that has to do with Henry Wilcox. He's a very stupid villain with very stupid motivations for a spy show. And I don't buy any of it, any second that I'm watching. Plus, none of the new stories make sense. Not really. All of Arthur's and Joan's behaviours, ugg. The whole Argentina thing sucks big time.

So I'm just watching trying to focus on the spy action and skipping forward the scenes with Wilcox (try it out, you don't miss anything, at the end of every scene there is a summary of what just happened). I'll try to keep watching like this for the rest of the season, maybe next year will be better and I don't want to have to swallow all these episodes later on. Better now, little by little.
More+
Flag
Also, I missed Joan and Arthur being awesome together. More please!
I couldn't agree more. The total lack of Arthur in this episode was disappointing, although seeing Joan take Calder's sass and ram it back down his throat was awesome!
And does anyone else think that Calder should be fired for revealing that Joan was in NA?
Flag
who is helen and why is is she being a bitch about s.s walkerson..
Flag
I love Henry Wilcox and you're absolutely right. Now that he's grieving I love him and wanna hug him and pet puppies with him over a rainbow.
Also, put a bomb on the S.S Augnie or whatever their name is.
There's also Joan and Arthur love in my heart. Always is.
Flag
"Every time I got access to the DNA results it would automatically kick me out." That's why God and Ken Thompson invented scripting (well, not exactly). A hole for a couple milliseconds is still a hole. Contrived so the whole Henry bailing out Annie thing could happen. Bah.
Flag
So how was this episode not titled Out of Time? Too obvious? The only thing missing was a reenactment of Denzel Washington frantically trying to prevent the investigators from seeing the phone records with his number all over it. Denzel(Mathias) was playing around with phone lines to prevent a fax from being received, Annie makes a diversionary call to get the FBI agent to leave her alone with the memory stick. Joe Namath would say the writers are strugg-a-ling.
Flag
The last scene with Wilcox running after Annie was so well acted by that guy that I might love him simply because I truly believe he went crazy after Jay's death!
Flag
That scene was beyond amazing from every point of view.
Flag
Just lose Calder and this show will be back on track IMO; he is waaaay
too obnoxious, self-serving and just plain creepy!!!!
Flag
You know, if Annie is on the hook for one murder and it doesn't seem to bother her, they could have just made room in the Potomac for Henry and Calder and solved all their problems.
Flag
Yeah, I don't really get that either. They don't seem to have too much trouble whacking people when it is convenient to reach their goal of stopping Henry. So why not just friggin' whack Henry and the whole problem goes away, no need to whack ten other people and waste a lot of agency resources doing it?
This whole season is kind of contrived so far.
Flag
Good episode. Annie was definitely in a bind, and unfortunately was saved by Henry WIlcox! Ugh, the humility!!! However, Annie walking away from that SOB's offer was the highlight of the episode to me. Still don't know Wilcox's endgame, but am intrigued to find out, besides the obvious revenge factor for Jai. That last revelation by Henry was also an eye opener. I actually figured she was from Arthur's past, not Auggie's.

I like the way Calder handled himself against Joan. I'm fans of both characters, and hated to choose between the two but Calder was definitely the victim of Joan's authority, even if it was for Annie's sake.
Flag
I'm still on the fence with Calder. I'm really sort of hoping that the scene we see from the future is a ruse of some sort.
Flag
I'm sure it is; scene screams red herring. Calder fakes shooting Annie so they can take Henry down together at some later point.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members