Covert Affairs Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on USAIn Season

Annie needs to be better at martial arts.

  • Avatar of frwillia

    frwillia

    [1]Apr 18, 2011
    • member since: 11/17/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    Her fighting should be more like Alexis on Nikita. Ben was shot by the guy Annie was fighting. If she realizes that it could be what she needs to get her self trained to take her assailants out of the fight so they are no longer a hazard. She needs to fight like losing isn't an option. So far, she has only been effective once - on the British agent.


    She also needs to learn to shoot. True, NOCs don't carry a gun very often, but there are times when nothing else will work, as Jay has shown more than once.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [2]Apr 21, 2011
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927
    frwillia wrote:

    Her fighting should be more like Alexis on Nikita. Ben was shot by the guy Annie was fighting. If she realizes that it could be what she needs to get her self trained to take her assailants out of the fight so they are no longer a hazard. She needs to fight like losing isn't an option. So far, she has only been effective once - on the British agent.


    She also needs to learn to shoot. True, NOCs don't carry a gun very often, but there are times when nothing else will work, as Jay has shown more than once.


    I have noticed that she gets beat up alot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [3]May 1, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    Some MMA training maybe?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ltcomstella

    ltcomstella

    [4]May 30, 2011
    • member since: 11/30/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 781

    Anne is still a bit of a noobie in the cia and she was taken away from the farm early


    Cia ARE RUN BY MORONS why put a unqualified agent out in the field with next to no backup ? It's retarded!


    Other than the plot points and stuff arthur says it's still stupid


    Nice how chris goes from uber jake 2.0 to a blind guy



    I see this has a coming of age / growing up plot base and ben ain't dead..

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jack756

    jack756

    [5]Aug 7, 2011
    • member since: 02/10/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,509

    after just geting into this show i have to agree.annie needs to be a better fighter.i thought her fighting would be like sdney bristow(alias),or nikita.


    but considering shes a new be on the cia i can see why shes not so good at fighting.


    maybe as the show goes on her fighting ability will get better.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [6]Aug 8, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    200lb guys against 115lb girls, martial arts training won't make much difference....it does on TV though, so get down the dojo Annie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jack756

    jack756

    [7]Aug 8, 2011
    • member since: 02/10/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,509

    Yaspaa wrote:
    200lb guys against 115lb girls, martial arts training won't make much difference....it does on TV though, so get down the dojo Annie.
    i will say the average guy is stronger than the average girl which is a fact


    but a train girl in martial arts can take out some bad guy.let me explain...


    now if the guy is train and then i can see annie losing a fight.but must of the people annie fight arent train and its so annoying she cant take this guys out when she has some kind of traing and this guys have none..


    nikita is very train so she can beat up guys like its no problem but when she fights a guy whos train just like her then nikita gets beat up or she has a hard time staying in the fight.


    so even though annie a girl she should be at least be able to beat up guys that have no training.

    Edited on 08/08/2011 10:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [8]Aug 9, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    jack756 wrote:



    now if the guy is train and then i can see annie losing a fight.but must of the people annie fight arent train and its so annoying she cant take this guys out when she has some kind of traing and this guys have none..


    nikita is very train so she can beat up guys like its no problem but when she fights a guy




    I have to disagree, just about everyone we've seen Annie fight on-camera have been agents of some other agency, mercenary, or terrorist group. For the most part I believe they are going to have training too, save for maybe the young guy that was an asset that arranged for her professor's murder.



    Nikita and even Alias were a bit on the fictional side of fighting: the 100lb girl taking out a squad of similarly trained mercenaries with their jumps, round-house kicks, spin-kicks, etc. They looked great and were choreographed well but I have a hard time believing a real fight is going to be so "clean and pretty"



    Stuff like Jason Bourne are a little closer to reality in-the-field. Nothing fancy, get in quick and close, fight dirty, etc.


    I saw a fight of a Karav Maga expert versus some other martial arts... a "win this fight and HURT the guy" type of thing not a "demonstrate the form of the art" event. It was NOT poetry in motion.



    That being said, I'm all for Piper Perabo (the actress) getting better fighting training so it looks better on camera so long as they keep it more like Jason Bourne and less like The Matrix.


    Edited on 08/09/2011 4:54pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jack756

    jack756

    [9]Aug 9, 2011
    • member since: 02/10/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,509
    kanniballl wrote:

    jack756 wrote:



    now if the guy is train and then i can see annie losing a fight.but must of the people annie fight arent train and its so annoying she cant take this guys out when she has some kind of traing and this guys have none..


    nikita is very train so she can beat up guys like its no problem but when she fights a guy




    I have to disagree, just about everyone we've seen Annie fight on-camera have been agents of some other agency, mercenary, or terrorist group. For the most part I believe they are going to have training too, save for maybe the young guy that was an asset that arranged for her professor's murder.



    Nikita and even Alias were a bit on the fictional side of fighting: the 100lb girl taking out a squad of similarly trained mercenaries with their jumps, round-house kicks, spin-kicks, etc. They looked great and were choreographed well but I have a hard time believing a real fight is going to be so "clean and pretty"



    Stuff like Jason Bourne are a little closer to reality in-the-field. Nothing fancy, get in quick and close, fight dirty, etc.


    I saw a fight of a Karav Maga expert versus some other martial arts... a "win this fight and HURT the guy" type of thing not a "demonstrate the form of the art" event. It was NOT poetry in motion.



    That being said, I'm all for Piper Perabo (the actress) getting better fighting training so it looks better on camera so long as they keep it more like Jason Bourne and less like The Matrix.


    i get what ur saying.

    with that been said on nikita when she is getting beat up by a guy she runs off or try and hit him with something and shes gone.other than that nikita beats up alot of ppl that arent train .on alias its alittle differnt sydney just seems to beat up everyone she meets which isnt so real.

    anyway all im saying is when anne fight guys or girls that arent train she should be kicking butt.

    i do want to see more of what u said about annie fights needs to be more like james bourne instead of the matrix.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BernardoLugo

    BernardoLugo

    [10]Aug 13, 2011
    • member since: 03/12/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    I AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT. BY THIS TIME, SHE SHOULD BE UP TO THE FIGHTING LEVEL OF SIDNEY BRISTOL (JENNIFER GARDNER) FROM ALIAS. EVEN SO, I AM A BIG FAN OF FEMALE SPY SHOWS (NIKITA, ALIAS, COVERT AFFAIRS).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [11]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    BernardoLugo wrote:


    I AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT. BY THIS TIME, SHE SHOULD BE UP TO THE FIGHTING LEVEL OF SIDNEY BRISTOL (JENNIFER GARDNER) FROM ALIAS. EVEN SO, I AM A BIG FAN OF FEMALE SPY SHOWS (NIKITA, ALIAS, COVERT AFFAIRS).



    The thing is, Sydney wasn't realistic. It was over-the-top action, she might as well be Catwoman. Fun to watch, but not realistic,


    I recall, or perhaps it's my imagination, Sydney single-handedly taking out a bunch of trained mercenaries with assault rifles and knives using just close-quarter-combat and bare-hands. And that's ignoring the sci-fi tech and other cool things.



    Meanwhile I believe the Covert Affairs show-creators stating they were going for a realistic approach and feel.


    Both are good shows, both have grrl power, but one is a live-action comic and the other is a grittier show.

    Edited on 08/15/2011 11:00am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IanHaze

    IanHaze

    [12]Aug 18, 2011
    • member since: 09/27/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 301

    Let me help you out of your dreams: The CIA is not comprised of martial artists. They get some basic training (Krav Maga in most western countries, Sambo in countries like Russia), and some basic training in shooting.


    Spies are not soldiers, they're not sent in to fight. They're sent in to manipulate and spy, and that's where their extensive training lies. They're not supposed to get into trouble at all, and when they for some fubar reason do, they're supposed to flee in any way they can, not murder their opponent.



    So long story short: She doesn't. Unless you want yet another show about a spy that would do better as one man army.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of eric770

    eric770

    [13]Oct 19, 2011
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 47

    In regards of not only her fighting but her early involvement on missions lacks an awful lot in credibility! I am not one that can cut off all brain function in order to swallow a TV concept (sorry TV powers that be). Piper Perabo has absolutely no believability in any fight scenes! the fact that she has absolutely no training to justify her being put into a lot of her missions especially those that require confrontations make the show unwatchable in my mind. I'll always go back to the episode in which she was protecting the widow of her mentor and the big guy on the boat nearly threw her overboard with one shove but he was unable to get her over, but she managed to throw him over with ease despite giving up nearly 100 pounds to the guy!!! When I hear the tag line on promotional commercials for the show calling her the female Jason Bourne!!! I'm like REALLY! Just let her make cute faces into the camera each week, but leave the beautiful but deadly tags to Fiona over on that other spy show Burn Notice!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IanHaze

    IanHaze

    [14]Nov 2, 2011
    • member since: 09/27/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 301
    eric770 wrote:

    In regards of not only her fighting but her early involvement on missions lacks an awful lot in credibility! I am not one that can cut off all brain function in order to swallow a TV concept (sorry TV powers that be). Piper Perabo has absolutely no believability in any fight scenes! the fact that she has absolutely no training to justify her being put into a lot of her missions especially those that require confrontations make the show unwatchable in my mind. I'll always go back to the episode in which she was protecting the widow of her mentor and the big guy on the boat nearly threw her overboard with one shove but he was unable to get her over, but she managed to throw him over with ease despite giving up nearly 100 pounds to the guy!!! When I hear the tag line on promotional commercials for the show calling her the female Jason Bourne!!! I'm like REALLY! Just let her make cute faces into the camera each week, but leave the beautiful but deadly tags to Fiona over on that other spy show Burn Notice!



    Lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JanieDoe

    JanieDoe

    [15]Nov 2, 2011
    • member since: 12/16/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 28
    I agree with everything Eric wrote. She needs to complete her training, needs to learn some fighting skills.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ingelief

    Ingelief

    [16]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 05/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 243

    BernardoLugo wrote:


    I AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT. BY THIS TIME, SHE SHOULD BE UP TO THE FIGHTING LEVEL OF SIDNEY BRISTOL (JENNIFER GARDNER) FROM ALIAS. EVEN SO, I AM A BIG FAN OF FEMALE SPY SHOWS (NIKITA, ALIAS, COVERT AFFAIRS).


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ingelief

    Ingelief

    [17]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 05/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 243

    sorry something went wrong with my post above.



    I love female spy shows. But i have to agree the fighting of annie is stupid and not good enough. it should be much better. Also she is now finally going to gun training, caring a gun would be also much better in the circumstance she is alot in.



    So hopefully is wil get better, like nikitas fighting

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ingelief

    Ingelief

    [18]Nov 25, 2011
    • member since: 05/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 243

    i just watched some alias which i never seen. And although annies fight arent as good as nikita. I found alias to much not realistic. So i prefer Annie over Alias fighting. its more realistic that she will get beaten up sometimes

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Badhab1t

    Badhab1t

    [19]Jul 21, 2012
    • member since: 05/29/12
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 16

    Annie needs to be better at many things! It's just crazy idea that somehow she is doing CIA field ops(or atleast her boss are crazy). She doesn't carry a gun and she has no real hand to hand combat abilities. And at end of the 2th season(I don't remember the episode), she is sitting in a outdoor coffee shop and talking to her sister using ipad(or some other tablet), she actually say it out loud that she is in the CIA(the was a man sitting right next to her). LMAO! Consider this show is not comedy like Psych, but a cheaper version of Alias, I think they did a very poor job on that. Only thing saving this show is it's great casts.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sci-FiLover22

    Sci-FiLover22

    [20]May 11, 2013
    • member since: 05/10/13
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 105

    eric said it best.


    its wired they call her james bourne or whateva.and she has little to no fighting skills.


    piper said in a interview when she did the show they talk about shes not a superheroe shes still a woman so if shes in a fight with a 205 ilbs guy how wud the fight look.and they gave training techniques for it far as her picking up weapons until she can get free.but i have never seen her in a real fight.so im not sure what their teaching piper for the show.


    better yet i have never seen her carry a gun.


    it seems if they gone have her on the field she wud be better train at fighting or at least holding and carrying a gun.she dont do neither.


    even tho i love this show.i dont understnad how she go on missions and survive.


    they call it the shows thats realstic but whats realistic about the c.i.a putting a woman in the field knowing she gone go up against alot of men and she has no training in fighting nor guns.thats not realsitic.and the above poster abouve me gave another example when she says im a c.i.a agent and a guy behind her.the writers needs to fix this.if their not gone keep the show realstic they need to use that to their advantage to make her a better fighter and hold guns more.


    but she needs to learn to carry a gun and learn to fight better.she should be doing this on her down time.sign up for a classes on fighting and guns.


    the show wud be so much better if she carried a gun or learn to fight better.itll be a 10 if she could do both.but i aint getting my hopes up.

    Edited on 05/11/2013 7:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.