Covert Affairs

Tuesday 10:00 PM on USA Premiered Jul 13, 2010 In Season

TesserT

Covert Affairs Fan Reviews (56)

7.8
  • I rated this show a "1" (Abysmal) only because there's no lower option.

The story lines are insultingly stupid - not escapist fantasy, as I suppose is the intent. A trainee - now labeled brilliant for some unexplained and unjustifiable reason - is entrusted with difficult and highly sensitive cases. Right. The characters are cartoon cliches (the strong, powerful but sensual female boss, (wearing the obligatory, inappropriately plunging neckline-office wear) the sensitive disabled guy who's sexy but geekishly wistful. Give us a break USA. And Piper Perabo! She has the talent of a banana slug. Her dramatic range is limited to eyeball shifting, hair tossing and oh-dear god please make it stop: slack- jawed, cosmetically over-inflated, lip opening. Her Annie is unwatchable. If this role is any indication of her acting ability, she should get career counseling and switch while she still has time to earn some credits toward Social Security.

Put this worthless show under deep cover. Six feet under.

• language, really?

I was so glad and relieved to finally find a TV show that didn't use foul language, but you had to mess that up didn't you? And not only mess it up but do it to the worst degree possible; cursing God. First of all the show was excellent without cursing of any sort but then you had to go and mess things up and what is wrong with you, you really think cursing God is going to help? Well, I'd bet you would never think about cursing Allah, Budda or Muhamad? And tell me why not, why do you think it's ok to curse God but not one of the false gods? I for one am truly offended and will not continue to watch your program if it is in your plan to do that again. I really hope it isn't.

• This show is very bad.

This show is so bad. Agent Walker is supposedly multilangue. I speak 4 languages andamongother Swedish and French, she did not say anything correctly in those languages.I never liked Augie he is blind and plays all the "Jean Claude Van Damme"esque scenes!!!!!! Come on.

Not a fan. I wish there was a rate zero.

• Auggie is a fake Blind guy not believable at all.

Christopher Gorham's character was not quite believable as the blind person. Especially with all thecomputer info and staff he was doing as a blind guy!! This is quite annoying to watch.
  • A joke

After watching several seasons of Spooks I decided to watch the first episode of this show that was suggested by Netflix. Is this show a student project or satire? I couldn't finish watching it as it was so bad.
  • Poor man's Nikita

This show desperately tries to be a mix between Alias and Nikita but fails. Uninteresting episodic story lines and uninteresting characters. The cast and crew are lucky USA is floating this show as this would have been canceled long ago on another network. And wow, I've never seen such bad acting of a guy who's supposed to be blind. He literally looks into the eyes of the other actors when he speaks to them. *facepalm*
  • Tired of this.

Sadly I've grown tired of watching this show. It never was able to go beyond the case of the week scenario and frankly the only overall story is not that interesting (the former head scheming with a journalist? that's it? Arthur risking to lose its job is not exactly a nailbiting story...), not to mention that finally after all the first season and EIGHT episode of the second finally the sister of Annie starts to be suspicious of her work (a total waste of Anne Dudek, her House stint was awesome, this :( ....).

While the show has been funny at times to watch, the incredible adventures of Annies (because it's impossible to label them as anything else, being unrealistic at best) are not engaging, other than somewhat unbelievable (seems to me that the CIA has only her as an operative). Other than that I didn't grow attached to her character, I'm just indifferent to her ( I would have preferred the show being more focused on the other characters).

The last episoded that I watched was the ninth, about her professor, but I just realized I don't care enough to watch it end (She will obviously solve everything while ignoring standard protocol).

• The story-line not believable, weak characters, need I go on?

REVIEW (posted when pilot first aired)

I am not quite sure how I feel about this new show after watching its pilot. Piper Perabo's character certainly reminded me of Jennifer Gardner's Alias (not in the good way). The character asked too much to be likable. Christopher Gorham's character was not quite believable as the blind person. I hadn't noticed that he was playing a disabled person until his character started navigating the computer using braille characters. The whole story-line was weak: An excellent agent in training (who hasn't completed training) gets a mission which she completely messes up. Yes? She's that brilliant. Could an agent really be in a situation like that to forget a primary objective? Hmm... I don't know. And she doesn't have any back up, or a way to contact the back up. Or a weapon to defend herself... I guess I watched too many movies/Tv shows to see these little flaws as not believable on Tv screen. Perhaps the car chase was the only interesting thing about the episode, but even that was sort of predictable.

--------------------------------------

UPDATE (on the review written back in the day)

After sticking with the show a few more episodes it grew on me.

Sure everything I've written about the pilot still stands.

I cannot understand why:

* Annie doesn't get her gun certification and goes in the field without a gun to protect herself.

* Auggie always hooks us with girls, starts dating them and then they usually move on dumping him.
  • Lame and Boring Sorry...

Blah Blah Blah,,,,pretty blond chick as a spy totally unrealistic and Auggie is being played as a blind softie. .Blind people I know have some edge to them. Annie is always running around. There is never any time to show she DOES have another life. She sucks as a spy,always looking surprised while in each assignment. I think if you let Auggie go nuts and do some things that are evil,it would add excitement. As it is now,he seems like a helpless puppy dog tagging along after Annie all the time. This show has sucked since day one. I tune in like once every few months and it still hasn't changed. Suits is boring except for Louis. Burn Notice rocks,so does NCIS. Necessary Roughness was good the first few episodes,but that went down the drain also. What happened to quality shows? The Soul Man, the Exes aren't very good either( I watch it for Holly cause she is awesome). Hot in Cleveland makes me want to throw up,such horrible acting ... Please get these crappy shows OFF and put some good shows on .I know SOMEONE out there can think of a good plot for a show . And why do you butcher our comments? You leave out words and the whole paragraph ends up making no sense?
  • An interesting new show with real potential. As a female professional, however, I am extremely irritated at the unprofessional appearance of the female section chief. Put some clothes on that woman, Please???? Government service is NOT a fashion show!

4.5
    It is a bit difficult to believe that this oh-so-young, oh-so-beautiful agent is allowed so much latitude and adventure in a carefully run agency agency with its fingers in so many widespread pies and where consequence of error is so potentially serious. Still, it has been a fun romp and it is interesting to see her potential develop as she attempts to learn her job and work her way around the assorted bureaucratic agendas and games that are part of the typical life in government service. Also interesting and true to life to see how her mentor is helping her steer through uncharted waters. Not so different from what many of us have experienced in a wide array of public service opportunities, although admittedly not so threatening to life and limb. I wish your writers and wardrobe staff could realize that this kind of work in the real world is not a fashion show; but I suppose that is more than the real world of show business can manage.
  • Not the series it started out as, to its detriment...

Where there was once a fluffy, fun show, filled with hot boys and girls (and men and women, too), doing totally improbable things just for the laugh of the audience, the new season says "Take us Seriously".

Too bad, because Covert Affairs is NEVER going to be a Serious spy show - it's too ridiculous in its premise and casting and episode stories. It's NOT an Alias, or a Spooks (MI-5 to us Americans), or even a Burn Notice, and that was the fun. It was a pretty, fairly mindless show where we could engage in amusement for an hour with lots of Suspension of Disbelief in the wild improbable stories, and ship our favorite couples. It was lightweight comedy with some decent action.

It's unfortunate that the producers and writers seem to have forgotten what made the series popular in the first place, and now somehow want Dark Street Cred instead. Covert Affairs fails at that on *sooooo* many levels.

Season 3 jumps the shark, and, I'm betting, is the last one. If I want gritty action and intrigue, I'll go over and watch Michael and Fiona, who kick the everlasting crap out of Annie and Auggie.
  • Home Field Advantage?

The Chinese should have taken Wilcox AND Walker!!! Wilcox was ex-CIA with no money and no connections. Tom Clancy is rolling in his grave!!! At the very least, Wilcox was worth trading for last week's dude. Oh well. Pretty girls are not enough for a lasting series, get better writers.
  • Wanna be Alias, bur still worth the money. This show has a good mix of cast, and a decent enough storyline to make it a few seasons. So if you are in dire need of some spy material, sit down, calm down and watch Covert Affairs.

Spy series are back. Covert Affairs is exactly what we needed since alias was canceled. Although it is not as good yet, it might get there. The show begins the usual way, girl falls in love with boy, boy leaves girl, hurt girl becomes a spy for the CIA, girl finds out boy is a rogue spy. The usual. The cast is good with heavy hitters like Christopher Gorham, Peter Gallagher, Kari Matchett. The plots are good, the characters as well, some twists are being introduced, so all in all, it is going places. Taking into consideration that it is not one of J.J. Abrams creations, this is an excellent show.
  • How much better would this be?

Hollywood wonders why they are losing audience.

The feminists are killing off the good shows which had strong male casts by insisting more females get added. So the female is given the lead part written for the male actor without any change or logic that it is a girl in a man's role.

This is just taking good parts for men and giving them to woman for some liberal social experiment and quota. Then you ask why are the strong action shows failing. Even Big Bang about social awkward geeks has turned into Friends.

• super agent to slut!

2.5
    Okay - you just lost 2 loyal viewers. Joan has been replaced as a mentor and boss with a female pimp! After last weeks' 2 bedroom scenes back-to-back, we are done!

I miss the smart, ethical Annie with the new "use your body not your brain" and don't worry about anyone else, including her sister who is moving to California! Another meaningful character gone.

I wonder how James Bond would respond to his boss telling him to use his body to get what he needs to succeed!
  • When is this show returning to UK tv?

I have been watching this show when it first came over to the UK. But it has been gone for a bit. When is it coming back?
  • It's alive!!

These last episodes are sure making up for all the previous bleh ones. I can finally say that I can't wait for next episode!! Keep it up, Covert Affairs!!
  • Time to grow up Annie

The show has gotten better over time. However, it's time for Annie's character to developed an identity and stop appearing as a CIA operative in training. It would nice if she could reflect a persona like Genea Davis, in the movie "A Long kiss Good Night." Or, Gina Carano, in "Haywire." Those movies were well done and laid a good foundation for women in action movies. It's unfortunate neither movie was followed up. Annie needs to step up and kick some a** next season via the first season of "Alis" with Jennifer Garner another female CIA agent
  • " Good luck"

I love this episode because there was lots of action for every characters.

I love Joan and Arthur fighting for their lives and make peace, Annie and Auggie supporting each other and Calder, Annie and Auggie fight together as a team to catch Henry and the finale scene "Hello, Ms. Walker"
  • I WANT COVERT AFFAIRS BACK!

Please tell me they haven't taken this show off! TV has really gone to the DOGS! I loved this show! Why can't you leave the good stuff and take off some of those STUPID reality shows? Covert Affairs has adventure, action, a good role model, a good female role model with some good old fashion moral values, something that is very rare. This show is decent and the writer has a wonderful imagination, and Covert Affairs has excellent actresses and actors. I enjoy living through Annie's character for an hour a week and I really looked forward to seeing it. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to finally have a good entertaining show to watch that don't need the blood, the guts, the filth, and foul language edited out, and THEY TAKE IT OFF!
  • A new guilty pleasure indeed.

I'm a fan of this show; odd as it may seem, it's a real teeth grinding feel it gives off -- for me at least. At first, I only checked it out because of the fact the girl was from "Coyote Ugly", which happens to be another old movie I watch from time to time. Anywho, back to the show. The show offers some real action, while actually developing a plot, and if you've ever seen TV before, that is all too uncommon. Another thing I found really great, the subplots between different characters; though I may not know their names just yet. For example: Peter Gallagher and his wife's characters are absolutely hilarious; between the normal couples tension and her thinking he's cheating, it's hilarious. Looking forward to what this show will offer in the future.
  • used to be good

shame how the program has deteriorated into a sex fest.
  • cast and crew

they need to get rid of hill harper
  • I have never reviewed a show but this show is so bad I thought I would warn others. I watched the whole 1st season and the season 2 premier before I passed judgement.

Characters have very little depth, story lines have no depth, lead character's flashbacks to the same crap gets old quick, green screen scenes are HORRIBLE... I've seen high school kids make movies that look just as bad - collage kids make them better, directing is nothing special - looks like a beginner, the writing is average at best - again it looks like beginners are doing the writing.

It is really too bad... the actors are good but the show makes them look like amateurs. USA is really desperate if they left this show on the air. No where even close to the quality of White Collar or Burn Notice.
  • Annie get your gun

I know some fans like to see Annie as a modern day Mata Hari but I find endless series of Annie gets her end away predictable and tedious.

Now Little Noddy has had his turn, Big Ears returns next week and there have been hot and meaningful glances with McQuaid who has even gifted her with a gun as a crude romantic gesture!

Who will be next? Can't wait.
  • Really?

In S05E02 - False Skorpion, Annie follows a terrorist to a Mosque (?) in Maracaibo, Venezuela (?).

OK, it's a Latin American-looking place, people speak Spanish etc etc.

But then the camera zooms out to a broad aerial view of downtown Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, which is one of the country's best-known landmarks, where the area with Lacerda Elevator and the Mercado Modelo are instantly recognizable to 200 million Brazilians and quite a few foreigners. That's not showing good homework.

I had a good laugh at it, but I didn't think the director's intention was for it to be funny. Not even the same language is spoken in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil and Maracaibo, Venezuela. In times where accurate information is found in thousands of websites, that was definitely poor homework.

But I'll follow the show into its fifth year - it's a great series

• A guilty pleasure indeed

It might be an Alias wanna be but the Christopher Gorham eye candy makes up for the little girl lost spy. They do need to do something about the crappy green screen scenes though.
  • JUST NOT FEELING IT...

I am a FAN of the show and the characters; however, I JUST CANNOT believe Annie as this great spy that has all of the sudden gone "dark". The entire second half of the season, I trudged though in loyalty.

Not that I'm a fan of dragging things along, but perhaps they needed to drag this out a bit more to show Annie transforming into this undercover-dead-dark-operative. It just feels like she went from her ridiculous Louboutin's to Doc Martis's and driving her bright red YOU CAN'T REALY FOLLOW ANYBODY car to riding Motorcycles way too soon.

Still a fan though,
  • Enough with Henry!!!

I like the show, I really do, but I'm sick of Henry anymore. All good characters as Ben, Simon, Teo, Danielle, Jai and my favorite Eyal are gone, and I'm about to stop watching it, because it annoys me the way story goes... I hope writers will do something about it.
  • She have everything, she deserve more time in the screen and will be surpirse some directors...

She can assume more complicated roles, is deep and she seduce almost every one, some time need to be more convincing in some parts of his role. Congratulations Piper, continuous your hard work!!

Julio