Cowboy Bebop Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2005)

Cowboy Bebop, the greatest anime ever?

kainandpayne

[1]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 7
    I probably have not seen as much anime as many of you have, but I have seen quite a bit, including the much praised animes that are universally loved. And I continuously loath everything I see. But I do deeply enjoy Cowboy Bebop and for me, a self-proclaimed anime hater to be endeared by a loathsome "anime," it must be the greatest anime ever. What do think... Cowboy Bebop greatest anime ever?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grimseeker

[2]Sep 16, 2005
    • level: 13
    Sure, why not? It deserves the title of the greatest anime ever!

Of course, people will probably come along and argue that the greatest is Dragonball Z, or Trigun, or even Inuyasha, but for me, it's Cowboy Bebop.

Chiroptera_Rex

[3]Sep 16, 2005
    • level: 50
    This was the first anime that I saw (ok, I saw Transformers first and that is considered anime, so Bebop was the first adult anime that I saw), and it took a while to grow on me. The first ep I saw was "MUSHROOM SAMBA" and I just kept on watching that ep over and over again. Something about it just wouldn't let me stop watching it. After watching the entire series, I became a total anime fan. I have seen many anime since then such as Neon Genesis: Evangelion, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and The Twelve Kingdoms (and this is only naming a modicum of the ones that I have seen so far) and I hold all of the anime titles I have seen with equal regard. Bebop is awesome and the ending is great. It definitely is one of the best.

Kung_Fu_Fighter

[4]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 6
    It's a good anime, but not the very best. There were quite a few episodes that just were not very good or not memorable. The ending was also a let down with all the loose ends they left open. They need another movie to finish everything up and then I can agree that it's the best anime ever.

Stand Alone Complex, Champloo and Witch Hunter Robin are in the running with it. Champloo has a much better ending than Bebop does.

Petri87

[5]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 5
    Its a really great anime but i dont know if the greatest... well maby...

bebopordeath

[6]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 9
    Kung_Fu_Fighter wrote:
    It's a good anime, but not the very best. There were quite a few episodes that just were not very good or not memorable. The ending was also a let down with all the loose ends they left open. They need another movie to finish everything up and then I can agree that it's the best anime ever.

Stand Alone Complex, Champloo and Witch Hunter Robin are in the running with it. Champloo has a much better ending than Bebop does.

Bebop doesn't leave any loose ends. The Red Dragon is in shambles, with all of its top authorities gone, the Van, Vicious, Spike, Shin, even Mao at the beginning. It isn't coming back. Julia is dead, Vicious is dead.
    Yes...SPIKE IS DEAD. The series makes several indications that it is true.
    1.)"I'm the only one that can kill you and set you free"
    "Those words apply to you as well Vicious. Either way, its going to end here"
    "As you wish"
    2.)Then the story of the white cat.
    3.) "Its all a dream, isn't it"
    4.) The star falling at the end of the episode
    5.) Grim's life is a parrell to Spike's

Faye is in dispair because she has no past, so she will probably float around the rest of her life, but it doesn't matter, the future was not the emphasis of bebop. And Jet has come to terms with all of his demons. There you go, open and shut case.

carterboy_313

[7]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 4
    not to mention ed and her father.

i love bebop. i love flcl more, though. it's randomness makes it my favorite (besides hitting people with guitars is just fun).

that being said, bebop is still a great japanimation (i'm sorry, i said japanimation for years, and can't bring myself to say an . . . ani . . . me). it's fast, dramatic, and the music is often awesome.

dbrittain39

[8]Sep 24, 2005
    • level: 12
    I love it, it is one of my favorites and I just started to buy the DVD's. Anyway its up the with FMA and a few others.

Asterisk09

[9]Oct 5, 2005
    • level: 11
    yes, I think it's one of the greatest animes out there. The ending was something no one expected. Plus, it has a slick style I really like. I admit, the first time I saw it I hated it. But that was just this one episode I watched. I gave it a second chance and I completely fell for it. It's a darn good show .

LORDSIVAR

[10]Oct 25, 2005
    This show rocked! to bad it ended the way it did. I loved Spike!

bwing55543

[11]Oct 28, 2005
    LORDSIVAR wrote:
    This show rocked! to bad it ended the way it did. I loved Spike!

Yeah, me too.

stevenson9

[12]Nov 13, 2005
    Shows like Inuyasha and FMA action is nothing compared to the speed of the action in CB. It has an awesome soundtrack and doesn't have any forced comedy in it like a trigun. It all flows so smoothly and is so smart with its characters. If it were just based on popularity it would be between DBZ and sadly Pokemon. But if you are talking about the best overall anime, it's Cowboy Bebop.

Ronin_Potato

[13]Nov 16, 2005
    grimseeker wrote:
    Sure, why not? It deserves the title of the greatest anime ever!

Of course, people will probably come along and argue that the greatest is Dragonball Z, or Trigun, or even Inuyasha, but for me, it's Cowboy Bebop.

DBZ is nothing more than a marketing vehicle brought about to sell action figures and a subpar video games. Trigun had potential, but Vash's ideals (and the extent that he went to uphold them) kind of annoyed me). Innuyasha was pretty cool for a little while, however, it quickly became so repetitive that I could seriously guess what would happen three episodes in advance. IMO, Cowboy Bebop is in a three way tie with Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL for the greatest anime of all time.

stevenson9

[14]Nov 17, 2005
    Ronin you only made my point on the popularity on DBZ. But they are doing the same thing with FMA. FMA will probably get better but the show moves at a snail's pace. FLCL is not a bad choice because of how unpredictable the show is but it only lasted 6 episodes. It is the best animated mini series ever but it is not really a show. I just see no other choice of what the greatest anime show is. And considering that CB was made in 1998, it only proves how ahead of its time CB was.

kwchou1

[15]Nov 22, 2005
    • level: 3
    It may be the best, but as I watch more of Fullmetal Alchemist, there may be a new champ. Definitely the coolest anime. There are few anime that compare in style and music. It's the anime that made anime popular in North America.

bwing55543

[16]Nov 22, 2005
    Sorry, but in my book, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal just beat Cowboy Bebop as the greatest anime.

stevenson9

[17]Nov 22, 2005
    kxchou, Akira brought anime to North America and DBZ and Pokemon built the foundation. I am just not ready to put FMA up there. And bwing I never heard of Samaurai X. What is it.

Chiroptera_Rex

[18]Nov 22, 2005
    Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is the prequel to Rurouni Kenshin. It shows his early years as an assassin for hire. It's much more graphic than the series as it was an OAV.

stevenson9

[19]Nov 23, 2005
    I watched the original Rurouni Kenshin. I thought the show was really weak because of all this "you can't show blood and guts" crap. If this really a prequel, this actually could beat bebop. What network and when does it come on.

Chiroptera_Rex

[20]Nov 24, 2005
    OAV means Original Animated Video. It's comparable to North America's Direct to Video release. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is only sold on DVD. Using the link I gave above, you can also see that Rurouni Kenshin also has two sequels to it in the form of an OAV, Samurai X: Reflection and a movie, Samurai X: The Motion Picture.