Cowboy Bebop Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2005)

Did you like the ending? (Could contain spoilers)

kwchou1

[1]Dec 11, 2005
    • level: 3
    Did you like the ending?

I didn't like how he died. I'd already seen the movie, so for him to have lived through begin shot in the body & survived some other near fatal stuff, I didn't like how he died. I would have thought it would take more to kill him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chiroptera_Rex

[2]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 50
    You have to remember that the movie is a dream that Spike has. If it had been reality, he probably would have been killed since his heart was pushed around, he was shot (probably through his lung), and he fell hundreds a feet to the water below. Anyone who took that would be dead.

The ending is perfect. It's the only ending that would work. Spike and Vicious lost the only one that they truly cared about, Julia, and there was nothing else to live for besides to seek vengeance upon one other. Both of them doing each other in was the perfect ending.

bwing55543

[3]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 7
    The movie took place in between Cowboy Funk and Brain Scratch.

tuxed0

[4]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 2
    as per all Japanese anime:
    (cite: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Read or Die, Escaflowne, Fullmetal Alchemist)

the first 2 and last 2 episodes generally have no meaning and leave the viewer extremely unhappy. I felt the same way with all the series above, and Cowboy Bebop was no exception.

The ending was bad. It felt like the writers got bored and just gave up.

This is another reason why i love and hate anime. There's amazing stories in the midst but the start/end leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.
    *sighs*

I just guess thats how Japanese Anime is supposed to go?

16bitkevin

[5]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 1
    What are you talking about! The first 2 episodes of FMA were incredible!

tuxed0

[6]Dec 18, 2005
    • level: 2
    the first two episodes add nothing to the 3rd 4th 5th episodes

i would have much prefered episodes 1 and 2 to be shown IN ORDER like the rest of the series, as episodes 8+9 (?)

continuity in a series...
    it's important...

Chiroptera_Rex

[7]Dec 18, 2005
    I really do not understand your logic.

The second episode adds a character, as does the third. Faye then becomes a member of Bebop at the end of the fourth episode. The fifth episode is the first storyline episode of the series, which is actually set up at the beginning of the first episode: Spike is waiting for someone who never arrives. The battle scene shown at the beginning as Spike waits for that someone is shown again as he falls out of the window at the end of "SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL". As the scene is fleshed out, a woman is shown, adding more to the storyline.

The episodes which are not storyline-related show the lives of those members of Bebop. They add new depth to each of the characters. The series has just as much continuity as any anime out there.

kwchou1

[8]Dec 21, 2005
    Chiroptera_Rex wrote:
    You have to remember that the movie is a dream that Spike has. If it had been reality, he probably would have been killed since his heart was pushed around, he was shot (probably through his lung), and he fell hundreds a feet to the water below. Anyone who took that would be dead.

The ending is perfect. It's the only ending that would work. Spike and Vicious lost the only one that they truly cared about, Julia, and there was nothing else to live for besides to seek vengeance upon one other. Both of them doing each other in was the perfect ending.

I recently saw the movie is a dream (in the forum). If that's true, it makes the ending a bit more palpable. The only other thing I didn't like is that it ended at 26 episodes. I would have love more.

Chiroptera_Rex

[9]Dec 21, 2005
    I do think that at this time (1998 or so) most strong storyline anime ended at 26 eps. Trigun, Outlaw Star (both aired in the same year as Bebop), and Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) all ended at 26 eps. Other series that were made in the early 2000s were also 26 eps long. As anime caught on more in North America, the Japanese animation studios were able to get more money from the North American licensors that helped them fund longer series such as The Twelve Kingdoms, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I've said this before in these forums: For Bebop, I wouldn't have had it end any other way. This is the first anime that I ever watched and it really was a great starting point. What has been done with it through 26 eps and one movie make it strong enough to last for a long time. I'm buying the Remix version just so I can listen to Bebop with more crisp sound. Even if I didn't have a home theatre system though, I'd still buy the Remix. The series is worth that much to me.

Yuskue007

[10]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 4
    One, the movie was not a dream. The whole refernces to dreaming in the beginnig and after to the credits were about Vincent's inability to accept the real world. After being exposed to the nano machines and the vaccine he lost his ability to distinquish reality. Spike didn't dream it, the movie was reality.
    Two, whoever didn't like the ending, obviously doesn't fully understand Cowboy Bebop. The ending was perfect, not to mention Spike lost the only thing he cared about, it was what was expected to happen. Bebop is arguably one of the greatest shows to air on television.

dbrittain39

[11]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    tuxed0 wrote:
    as per all Japanese anime:
    (cite: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Read or Die, Escaflowne, Fullmetal Alchemist)

the first 2 and last 2 episodes generally have no meaning and leave the viewer extremely unhappy. I felt the same way with all the series above, and Cowboy Bebop was no exception.

I really cant agree with you on that. First of all FMA actually ends with the movie that was released later on. As for The last two episodes of NGE, they can be scrapped and be replaced with EOE if you dont like the tv ending. The other ones you listed I havnt seen so I cant comment on.

Anyway, I would have to say that the was one of the best endings that I have seen for an anime and perfectly suited the series.

mastermune89

[12]Jan 4, 2006
    the last episode was the first episode i ever saw.i was like OH MAN THIS IS FRICKIN AWESOME! HES DEAD!!!!! NOOOO!i love the show though.

SunsprayHoney

[13]Jan 17, 2006
    • level: 12
    I can't believe all this hate for the finale. I thought that was the best episode, just b/c the main character dies doesn't mean you have to throw a hissy fit.

TYDrace

[14]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    I loved the ending. It's my number 3 favourite season endings with Black Adder's Season 4 on 2 and Red Dwarf's season 8 on 1.

rookeealding

[15]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 9
    at least you all accept that he died. I have been on so many boards that people acually aruge wheater he did or not! oi..

but I digress. Honestly though at first I wished there where more episodes, on hignsight, I can't see more episodes being made without ruining the entire series.

what would the next season have contained? You've already explained everything that needed an explaination or that could be explained in some logical form. be glad for that!

Some animes end so screwy that an explaination can't be found that makes any real sence.( the big O, chough) and that makes us fans disapointed.

a series goes on for to long and you just start to hate it.

In america we are so use to animations and tv shows going on for far too long that we don't really understand that a good story can be short.We are more use to mediocure stories for much longer times, past their primes we need to be re introduced to the art of storytelling where there are no sequels.

StarFlame15

[16]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 15
    kwchou1 wrote:
    Did you like the ending?

I didn't like how he died. I'd already seen the movie, so for him to have lived through begin shot in the body & survived some other near fatal stuff, I didn't like how he died. I would have thought it would take more to kill him.

Im mad that he die. I wanted for him to get together with Fave Valentine.

Asterisk09

[17]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 11
    I liked it although I was left with an empty feeling afterwards. Sort of that "Is that it?!" feeling.

illuminatus_07

[18]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 6
    I loved the ending... Spike died like he should've, a kick-ass hero... and his last line was s0o him...

Still, I wish there was a Cowboy Bebop II... don't know how that would've worked out since the producers tied all ends and killed off the main character, but it would've been nice...

ObsceneAnarchy

[19]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 1
    Cowboy Bebop seems to be a little too deep for some of you. Spike did not die from his fatal wounds in the past simply because it was not his time (Said by the Indian guy in the CB movie.) Also, Vicious mentions something about being the only one killing or waking him. Spike also rants something about dreams shortly after Julia dies. He had to face Vicious to see if he truely was alive. Quite simply, the ending was not lame, it was poetic. You might understand it better when you're older and if you dont then I feel sorry for you.

beatbox_bandit

[20]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    I liked the ending when I first saw it I remember being like twelve and it left me with mixed feelings and I do agree that Cowboy Bebop might be a little deep for the average person. But I have four words for the average person. Reality Is A **** Not all anime can end with the cute little endings where the main female and male character get together and start a new life. I really like the ending after watching it again and unlike some anime it did give a lot of closure