Creature Comforts Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Official Discussion Thread - Animal Magnetism (1-1) *SPOILERS*

EJamison

[1]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    Please discuss the premiere episode here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 17

It was a little better than I expected.  I smiled at times, but it's not a show I'll feel compelled to watch again.

AprilFox

[3]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 109
    I was so excited since I adored the Wallace and Grommit series! What a disappointment, very unfunny and unentertaining, I was expecting so much more. I won't be watching again.

yuumm_monkeys

[4]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 12
    I loved it. so great. Just another great addition to the awesome monday night line-up on CBS.

TerraGirl16

[5]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 26

Not the best, not the worst. I'd tune in again. Some of it sucked, some of it was really funny though. Makes you wonder what sort of people they get to say these things to a camera though!

From
    Terra

hiho24

[6]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 2

I thought it was pretty funny!  Aardman does good work.

I'll watch it when I catch it on TV. 

tutone69

[7]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    This show was awful. Worst show I ever seen. I had it DVR'r and couldn't get pass the 1st 7 minute Seeing the way TPAB operate the show will probably be on for years. And they Cancel Jericho? go figure.
    Edited on 06/05/2007 2:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tigerbot_hesh

[8]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 5
    This just goes to show how over the heads of the typical television public this show goes. It's far too cerebral for the average American viewer. Which is unfortunate, because it's as brilliant in the U.S. incarnation as it was in the U.K. version.

I am an American viewer that understands the humor and the premise of the show. I'm also someone that understands that it's not supposed to be an animal slapstick romp, like most people instantly assume because of films like Chicken Run, Wallace & Gromit, and Flushed Away. And as an American viewer that understands all of this, I can say that the show is a perfect replication of the original.

And again, it's unfortunate that the average audience member in the U.S. isn't willing to settle for anything that isn't instant laugh-out-loud punchlines and prat falls. This isn't just some show you can sit down with and expect to have a joke handed to you. You're expected to actually use your mind in participation with the show. I know it's somewhat of an alien concept for the American public to maintain a level of intelligence when watching a primetime comedy, but to so quickly dismiss the show because the funny isn't being piped directly into your head is to miss out on a seriously entertaining and profound experience.

If some people still can't manage to give the show its due, and actually find the humor, I'm sorry to say that they just don't get it and never will.

desert05

[9]Jun 13, 2007
    This is the best thing I've seen in ages. It's completely made summer tv bearable, and I wait on bated breath each week to see the next installment. I was a little cautious about how it would translate to the US, but it's as fabulous with the American interviews as it was with the British ones. I hope it's on for a long time to come.

Bravo CBS!!!!

SoylentYellow

[10]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 21
    With ratings so low, maybe you guys should send CBS 25 TONS of clay before they announce its cancelled?

desert05

[11]Jun 19, 2007
    I hope that they have the good sense to put it out on dvd. There are lots of fans who would scoop it up and happily buy it. As the new summer season gets started, it's still the best summer series I've watched (so far).

Kris2theTi

[12]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 16
    I personally loved it. I don't have cable so it is really hard to find anything good to watch during prime time. I hate sitcoms now a days because they are all trying really hard and it's getting really old, along with reality tv and all the stupid competitions they have on every day. I found this show to be different and entertaining. I will be watching on a weekly basis and I think it will be coming back. I mentioned it to a few people i work with after I saw the first one, which caught my attention while fliping through channels, and everyone loves it. If you don't like it, fine stick to the cookie-cutter sitcoms and competitions with winners that go no where because they get beaten out by people who actually worked years to get where they are instead of getting a contract handed to them.

desert05

[13]Jun 24, 2007
    Kris2theTi wrote:
    I personally loved it. I don't have cable so it is really hard to find anything good to watch during prime time. I hate sitcoms now a days because they are all trying really hard and it's getting really old, along with reality tv and all the stupid competitions they have on every day. I found this show to be different and entertaining. I will be watching on a weekly basis and I think it will be coming back. I mentioned it to a few people i work with after I saw the first one, which caught my attention while fliping through channels, and everyone loves it. If you don't like it, fine stick to the cookie-cutter sitcoms and competitions with winners that go no where because they get beaten out by people who actually worked years to get where they are instead of getting a contract handed to them.

I totally agree....now we're stuck with more repeats of Old Christine episodes. That's another night on CBS that I can miss.
    Edited on 06/24/2007 9:38am

topoopon

[14]Jun 24, 2007
    • level: 19
    desert05 wrote:
    I totally agree....now we're stuck with more repeats of Old Christine episodes. That's another night on CBS that I can miss.
    This WAS the only CBS show I watched. How sad for CBS.
    Edited on 06/25/2007 3:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[15]Jun 25, 2007
    • level: 63
    topoopon wrote:
    desert05 wrote:
    This WAS the only CBS show I watched. How sad for CBS.

For a summer replacement series, I was impressed. I don't think it had much long-term potential, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.