Red Cells -- Real or Made up for the series

bmoshier

[1]Mar 2, 2011
    • level: 46

Hi everyone,

As the subject says: Are "Red Cells" for the FBI BAU real or made up for this series?

If you know it as a fact, please, let us know (and say how you know, please).

If you're guessing, let us know but say it is guess.

Thanks - have fun discussing this.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bobbilc

[2]Mar 10, 2011
    • level: 1
    Yes they are real. You can read more about Red Cells here: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/tv-open-thread-criminal-minds-suspect/

There is a link to a comprehensive US Airforce Review on Red Teams at the end of the blog post.

pgsuperfan

[3]Apr 7, 2011
    • level: 25

thanks I thought it was made up too

NUMB3RSno1freak

[4]May 6, 2011
    • level: 6
    bobbilc wrote:
    Yes they are real. You can read more about Red Cells here: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/tv-open-thread-criminal-minds-suspect/

There is a link to a comprehensive US Airforce Review on Red Teams at the end of the blog post.

But it isn't that just an article on Red Cells/Teams within the Military? I only skimmed 'cause it's late and my eyes are tired but I didn't come across any mention of Red Cells in operation within the FBI (etc.) I know the FBI must have similar teams like that but they're not Red Cells and they definitely wouldn't be made up of profliers. There's not even an official Profiler department within the FBI - it's just (random) trained and experienced field agent who use everything they've learned to profile crimes. (Well, that's what I read when I researched profiling, etc.)

tucnguyen

[5]Jan 8, 2012
    • level: 1

No, there is no such unit within the FBI as Red Cells.

The link at the end of the article is about Red Teams which comes from war games. The good guys (Blue Team) v. bad guys (Red Teams). War games are to test protocols that our military (Blue Team) follows to see how effective they are against enemies. The Red Team doesn't have any rules to follow because they can be anyone and may not constrained by any rules of their own. Effective war games will result in holes in the Blue Team's protocols which allows them to fix it and improve.