Criminal Minds

Children of the Dark

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 17, 2007 on CBS

• The writers of this show never let us down, and this is a fine example.

The team, without Gideon, is still a team. In this episode they seem to be really pulling together. The writers took advantage of the story line to show us a rarely seen softer side of Prentiss. The unsubs, using a ruse to gain entry into the homes of unsuspecting families, then go on to brutally murder the parents, and use a lethal injection to do away with the kids. We discover the reason behind these murders is the abuse suffered by the unsubs while in the care of a foster family.

After one of the unsubs is captured, the second, cornered, also gives himself up, but not before passing his gun on to a foster child still in the care of this horrible woman. Morgan and Prentiss reluctantly return this poor boy to her care, pending an investigation. As you are still feeling bad about the boy, gun shots erupt, and you are sure the boy has killed the foster mother. Morgan and Prentiss rush in to find that she is unharmed, and the boy is shooting pictures of happy children hanging on the wall. They are lies, he tells Morgan, and Morgan, understanding, talks the boy into giving him the gun. Morgan once more reaching out to save a boy in a terrible situation, not of his making.

A powerful episode that speaks volumes about our foster care system and it's flaws.
CBS