Criminal Minds

Closing Time

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 15, 2012 on CBS

• Not terrible! Who would have thought?!

Sheesh, what has CM come to when faint praise like that is all that you can hope for?

There's a too long boring build up to the teens stumbling over the first body(ies) that had my finger itching to change the channel to something more exciting. Perhaps a rerun on the Food Network. Or the Paint Drying Channel. Teenagers, bonfire, yadda, yadda, "you'll forget about me at college, *sniffle*. Then of course we segue to groping under the lifeguard shack and the drippy blood clues us in that all is not right in SoCa.

A boring opening wouldn't get me pulling me hair out except I kept wondering about how these kids or college was tied in to the murders. Color me a dummy - they weren't. Huh. So what's with the slow, and did I mention boring?, scene?

Anywho, things picked up quickly from there.

I will admit that the whole Beth/Hotch thing isn't as horrible as I expected it to be. They've ramped down the 'stalker-esque' qualities of her character until it all feels fairly normal and how a man should perhaps move on in his life. And watching TG smile and show some emotion rather than angst and anger is fantastic to say the least. That said, where is Jack in all this? Is he going to be one of those television children who just sort of disappear? I certainly hope not! I love every scene Hotch and son have together - they have more chemistry that Hotch and Beth every will IMO. So I can happily see Beth now moved to the sidelines as Will and Kevin have been, becoming a character that Morgan and especially Rossi tease Hotch about. (Great elevator scene between Rossi and Hotch. Rossi seems eager for Hotch to 'make a new friend' if only to get '45 minutes, all to myself!' - extra points for those who get the movie reference.)

Watching the team sit around a conference table and actually discuss a case, do some real profiling - that is what made the ep for me. No magic fairy dust (well, Garcia still finds things out like that none of the victims spent money on alcohol before they died - really?) profiling or leaping to crazy conclusions. Profiling that makes sense and shows these people doing what they do best! Finally!

Again we have a not so 'un'sub thrown in our faces from the get-go, but, can I admit I liked that he seemed so milk-toasty and frumpy and kinda Everyman? No pretty-boy actors trying to play a down-on-his-luck-and-sanity killer, just a guy who would fit in in any semi-sleazy bar in town.

What can I say about BAMF JJ?? (Well, first I can ask what the heck she thought she was doing with the tackling and not waiting for back-up and other real lifey things, but, hey, I'm flexible!) She ROCKED that fight scene! I'm sure all the pent up 'my character has nothing to do!' feelings got utilized here. And her little talk with Reid and Morgan afterward was cute and awesome.

So, good job, Dunkle! This is why I liked you in the first place! Fire the acid-in-eyes chick and get on with it!