Criminal Minds

Demonology

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 11, 2009 on CBS

• A friend of Emily Prentiss requests her help when he believes one of their friends has been murdered. The BAU team discovers a series of suspicious deaths that occurred during exorcisms.

Paget Brewster did a fantastic job in this episode. She manages to convey Emily's grief over the death of her friend, Matthew, her anger and frustration when the others doubt a crime has been committed, her determination to do right by Matthew, and her continued questioning of life-changing choices she made as a teenager stand out as some of her best moments.

I always enjoy episodes where we are revealed more of the characters' backstories, and this episode is no exception. I really started to feel bad for Prentiss growing up while constantly being shuttled around by her mother's postings. She must have felt terribly lonely, and clearly she was not very close to her mother. The episode said nothing of her father, so I am still wondering about where he was while Emily was growing up.

I also really enjoyed Rossi's role in this episode. I love how he saw Emily's pain and found a way to talk to her, but not embarrass her in front of the rest of the team. I don't really understand exorcisms, or how someone would die from one being performed, so that aspect of this episode continues to be confusing. I was also a bit disappointed that we never learn whether or not Matthew and his friends actually had any involvement in the death of Father del Torro. Since it is never addressed, I assume they did not.