Criminal Minds

Doubt

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 26, 2007 on CBS

• Suspenseful ending for the third season opener . . .

This is the episode that is the "Criminal Minds" beginning for me. I had watched the reruns during the break between season two and season three. So, for me, this episode was actually very good. The beginning hooked my attention and the ending made me hold me breath (for a second or two!)

This episode bounces between Gideon writing a letter to his unidentified friend and his last case. The letter explains what has happened to cause Gideon to "disappear".

I liked how the writers explained "straw that broke Gideon's back." Every human has a breaking point. For some people, it can be something so miniscule, it leaves others wondering just where that person's head is really at. For others, it can be a compilation of many little things. And for some, it just takes one major catastrophic event. This episode showed what one thing led up to Gideon's breaking point. Think about all the horrors that the profilers face each day. At some point in time, the profiler will face that one horror that becomes too much to handle. This case was Gideon's. It's hard to believe that Section Chief Erin Strauss is Annie from "Free Willy"!! She is NOT a nice person in this episode. She's head hunting and it's clear that it's Hotchner's head she wants on that platter. Seeing Prentiss as the spy/mole . . . I can honestly say that I don't like it. I guess I'm just used to how she is/becomes later in the season. Hotchner's reply to Gideon's question as to how long he (Hotchner) could hold the suspect's attorney was cute! "Are you kidding? I was a prosecutor; I can hold him off for days."

For me, this episode was an excellent introduction to "Criminal Minds".
Run