Criminal Minds

Faceless, Nameless

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2009 on CBS

• Not a bad way to start the season but it didn't meet my expectations.

I had higher expectations for this episode, mainly because the Reaper was such a compelling unsub in last seasons episode, Omivore. Then again, I am a very hard person to please.

I did find the surgeon storyline somewhat interesting. I admired his son for going to school to send a message to the unsub who was stalking his father. I sympathized with the surgeon who had very little time to recall anyone who had a grudge against him. One again, Reid proved just what a great profiler he is by using his highly developed reasoning skills to narrow down the list of potential suspects who were nameless and faceless. The subplot with Hotch and The Reaper had some very subtle suspense. The most distrubing part about the flashback scenes is what was left to speculation. If what I'm suspecting did happen to Hotch, I think the show is on the verge of jumping the shark.

I did find the hospital scene between Hotch and Jack touching. Hotch finally showed some long overdue emotion when he thought about the prospect of the Reaper remaining elusive for a long period of time just so Hotch wouldn't get to see Jack grow up.

The only thing about the episode that truly annoyed me was Haley. While I did empathize with her for having to leave her job, friends, and family to go into witness protection, I was less than impressed with her lack of feelings toward Hotch. Granted, they are divorced but I still think she could have shown more concern for Hotch. I also liked the shows ending, with Rossi reminding Hotch of just how good his team is and that if anyone can catch the Reaper in record time, his team can. All in all, not a bad way to start the season.