Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Dr. Spencer Reid / Matthew Gray Gubler

Leesya

[21]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 2

the question I find myself asking is... why this way around? I mean, the logical procedure would have been to introduce the kid as a geek from the book - WITH the glasses - and let him slowly reveal his good looks. I mean, had he worn the glasses from the beginning, the Lila-incident would have been a perfect opportunity to gain a little self-confidence and leave the glasses where they belong - far away from that gorgeous face! Or they could have made a season-to-season-change with the glasses as they have done now, only the other way around. It would have been SO much more logical...

you know, it would have had a nice "butterfly" effect ^^

Personally, I HATE the glasses. Yeah, I admit, he still looks good with them, but Gubler has those beautiful big round baby eyes and that small baby nose and his face just can't work its magic with all the glass in the way... *sigh*

Although I like the theory that he tries to hide his good looks because of a traumatic childhood experience. Call me a sadist, but I'm one of those girls who just love seeing their favourites suffer or knowing they have suffered at some point... and, come on, be honest, it would just be SO fitting...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kirke_novak

[22]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 9
    Leesya wrote:
    Although I like the theory that he tries to hide his good looks because of a traumatic childhood experience. Call me a sadist, but I'm one of those girls who just love seeing their favourites suffer or knowing they have suffered at some point... and, come on, be honest, it would just be SO fitting...

Who doesn't!? It would be a perfect explanation why had he chosen BAU. If he himself was a victim of an attack of sexual nature as a child (or at least something to do with his 'pretty looks', jocks don't like pretty boys :/) then he could do this as a way of deal with it and it would explain the horrible, horrible fashion sense.

Leesya

[23]Oct 17, 2006

oh my god... now you've done something. I won't be able to run away from my muses and I'll probably have to write a fanfic with that background... probably gideon/reid ^^

hope to get to know  more about reid background anyway. how did he grow up with that mother? what happened in High School? WHY does he dress like that?!?

comtessededia

[24]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    Leesya wrote:

WHY does he dress like that?!?

Now, I love how he dresses. The geekier the better in fact...

Leesya

[25]Oct 17, 2006

His clothing is alright, it fits him, but I hate the glasses, as I said I was referring to the thought that maybe there had been and incident that made him dress like that on purpose so as to hide himself a bit.

Oh, while we're talking about clothing... did anyone else felt as if they could die right on the spot when they saw Reid after the Pool-incident with Lila? He looked so cute and unbelievably fragile with his not completely dry hair and that huge sweater... *melts again*

ika99

[26]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 9

Hello!

Does anyone know if Paget will be going the show ? n when?

Thx.

N Yes Reid is one sexy guy

stuckeysokc

[27]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    comtessededia wrote:
    Leesya wrote:

WHY does he dress like that?!?

Now, I love how he dresses. The geekier the better in fact...

I vote for that..geek is the new chic...

Shotius

[29]Nov 1, 2006
    although Reid ain't the main character, i think that all the viewers watch this show BECAUSE of Reid....at least i do...

michelle_212

[30]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    I love Reid but I dont watch just because of him. I watch because I love to see how they all interreact. Think about it Reid is great but if it was just him week after week it would get old. What makes the show great is how they work together. The best Reid moments are when Reid and (fill in other main character here) connect in some way. Reid is the best character for bring out the character in the others though because he is so much more open and the others open up more around him. I find it ironic that the "brain" character actually turns out to be the heart of the team.

oceanavenue2006

[31]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    michelle_212 wrote:
    I love Reid but I dont watch just because of him. I watch because I love to see how they all interreact. Think about it Reid is great but if it was just him week after week it would get old. What makes the show great is how they work together. The best Reid moments are when Reid and (fill in other main character here) connect in some way. Reid is the best character for bring out the character in the others though because he is so much more open and the others open up more around him. I find it ironic that the "brain" character actually turns out to be the heart of the team.
    I completely agree, esp about him being the heart of the team! For me, he is the MAIN reason I watch the show... though not the only one! I would definitely like to see more of him!

anshu_angel

[32]Nov 1, 2006
    It seems a trend for the 'brain characters' to be at the heart of the show. Probably because they face difficulties in being understood as their intelligence is daunting for others, and the price they pay for being smart is often being socially inept. Take Bones, for example. Some of the best scenes are where she connects with other people. It's a been an old trend on sci-fi for a while, with Data from TNG or Seven of Nine from Voyager. It's straying to the crime domain, it seems! There's always a young geeky guy on those programs, Zach from Bones is very much like Reid. Brainy, spouts facts at the drop of a hat on any random topic and has difficulty being taken seriously because of his age and finds it hard to relate to ordinary people sometimes. 

maggiejayne

[33]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 1
    I coiuld go either way on the glasses, but my husband loves them and wants some...

any ideas on where I can get some just like those?

-csiGREGGOcsi-

[34]Nov 2, 2006
    I don't like the glasses and the clothes seem to be getting geekier and geekier. I miss the purple scarf, brown jacket and college kid bag. I shed a tear every time I watch a whole episode without a good Reid scene or funny, yet nerdy, line. Yes he did get a lot of attention last year but, I WANT MY REID!!!!!! Whooo. Sorry about that. Anywho...

SpencerREid

[35]Nov 19, 2006
    I also want to see more of Reid....the show is not the same when he isn't on as much.

phf3947

[36]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 71
    There was an article in the Chicago Tribune that explains why Matt is wearing his own glasses this season. The reason given is the "California allergy season started gumming up his contact lenses."

BAUCTU

[37]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 14
    phf3947 wrote:
    There was an article in the Chicago Tribune that explains why Matt is wearing his own glasses this season. The reason given is the "California allergy season started gumming up his contact lenses."

they're his own glasses?! They don't suit Reid so presumably dont really suit Matt! He'd look better with slightly smaller ones! Allergies really do mess with contact lenses.

phf3947

[38]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 71
    He was interviewed last week by the CBS affiliate in Denver (click here to see clip), and he tells how he got the role and what to expect in the second season regarding his character.

BAUCTU

[39]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 14
    phf3947 wrote:
    He was interviewed last week by the CBS affiliate in Denver (click here to see clip), and he tells how he got the role and what to expect in the second season regarding his character.

thanks for that!

the arch rival stuff sounds intriguing!

oceanavenue2006

[40]Nov 23, 2006

Ooh.. thank you!  Yea, that arch rival sounds interesting...

I'm wondering though, are they going to bring someone new to the cast or will his arch rival be Emily?  hmm... interesting!