Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Dr. Spencer Reid / Matthew Gray Gubler

amelyn

[41]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 3
    I was thinking Emily, myself. She just seems to have so many answers to questions that no one else on the team would normally know off the tip of their head. Will he feel off balance with this somewhat this season?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BAUCTU

[42]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 14
    amelyn wrote:
    I was thinking Emily, myself. She just seems to have so many answers to questions that no one else on the team would normally know off the tip of their head. Will he feel off balance with this somewhat this season?

I hope they dont do that though. I'd hate to see the team damaged by such a rivalry.

SpencerREid

[43]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 8

It seems that Matt is talking about Emily... . I'm not so sure if she is supposed to be as smart as Reid...but she is probably really smart...and might compete with Reid in some ways....but why refer to her as an archrival?????...that would mean Reid and Emily knew each other from before and that they didn't quite get along....that they find the need to compete with each other.

neokel

[44]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    I think one of the main things we are missing here in ref to Reid is the fact he is emcumbasssome in the general field becuase of his high inteligence. Here you have a man with difficulty using emotion and who is also incredibly clever. If you could profile Reid i would say he has difficuties communicating with other people.. The ref to his mother being a mental patient and the fact her illness is genectic makes you understand his character more. I also agree with others regarding its time for Reid to step back occasionally and allow others the limelight. I would love to see what they do out side the BAU you knwo the personal characters and information i think it would help with understanding them more.

SpencerREid

[45]Nov 25, 2006
    I don't think we are seeing much of Reid anymore...Now...it's back to Gideon doing most of the work solving the cases......last season it became obvious that Reid was becoming a much better chess player when Gideon taught him to think outside the box, now Gideon beat him twice and Reid didn't see it coming....hard to believe if Reid is such a genious!!!!....Also, what happened to the Gideon/Reid mentor/pupil relationship????...it seems that Gideon has distanced himself emotionally from Reid.....I wonder why?????? I used to look forwrad to their interaction....now Gideon seems colder and more distant.

neokel

[46]Nov 26, 2006

I believe Gideon is delebritely distancing himself from reid because he knows Reids personality. The mentor relationship has to at some point disolve to a more lower level and i think Reid has shown he is more than capapable. In series one we saw how Reid was frightened of guns now he carrys one a all time on his lfet hip i believe. He (Reid) is developing well, gaining confidence with every case he works on. He is still lacking in some personal skills but he wouldn't be Reid if he didn't. Gideon is hiding demons i think and this will be refrenced against his decision to let Reid dicover his own path.

One of my questions would be is why Reod hasn't tackled this issue with Gideon surely he would have noticed by now?

settingstarlet

[47]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    They tend to draw ALOT of Reid's character from MGG himself... he's from Las Vegas, he did magic trick when he was younger, he dresses the same as his character, he wears his own clothing and glasses... all things that are kind of strange for television. I think they kind of cast him because Matt IS Reid, just not a genius and has better social skills.

phf3947

[48]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 71
    There's an interesting Q&A here about his mismatched socks, his allergy to contact lens solution, and his self-comparison to the Muppet characters.

SpencerREid

[49]Nov 26, 2006

neokel...I also wonder why Reid hasn't mentioned anything to Gideon...it's so obvious that Gideon is much colder and distant towards Reid. Yes...Reid has gained confidence and that could explain why Gideon is pulling back. Maybe he feels that he has done his job and Reid has learnt all he has to learn. The rest he'll learn in time with his own experineces. I'm assuming this....but I would like for this to be addressed especially since we've seen how Reid has always felt at ease asking Gideon almost anything...even personal questions.

The Reid/Gideon realtionship was special...and they could address the fact that Gideon has a son a year older than Reid. I thought the writers were planning on exploring this angle. Also Reid doesn't have a father figure in his life from what we have seen so far. Just his schizophrenic mother.

BAUCTU

[50]Nov 26, 2006
    SpencerREid wrote:

neokel...I also wonder why Reid hasn't mentioned anything to Gideon...it's so obvious that Gideon is much colder and distant towards Reid. Yes...Reid has gained confidence and that could explain why Gideon is pulling back. Maybe he feels that he has done his job and Reid has learnt all he has to learn. The rest he'll learn in time with his own experineces. I'm assuming this....but I would like for this to be addressed especially since we've seen how Reid has always felt at ease asking Gideon almost anything...even personal questions.

The Reid/Gideon realtionship was special...and they could address the fact that Gideon has a son a year older than Reid. I thought the writers were planning on exploring this angle. Also Reid doesn't have a father figure in his life from what we have seen so far. Just his schizophrenic mother.

or perhaps Gideon felt that if the team werent as close they might have spotted the signs with Elle before it was too late. It's always hard to see a problem with someone your close to. Or it could even be that he doesnt think he can deal with watching people he cares for die/go crazy/.... so he's ditancing himself. Or thirdly he thinks Reid needs to find himslef a bit, without constantly been guided. He's given him guidance now wants to see him do it for himself.

recklesskellie1

[51]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    I think you are EXACTLY right about MGG basing Reid on himself. I guess that's why I have such an intense crush on this silly, sexy man. Love his sense of humor!
    Edited on 11/26/2006 5:40pm

SpencerREid

[52]Nov 28, 2006

Apparently the archrival went to school with Reid and is smarter than him by 1 IQ point...which is nothing really....He is supposed to be taller and cuter too... that's hard to believe, tho!!! I'm looking forward to this story arc. I wonder who feels the need to compete.....probably the other kid.

I read on another interview that Matthew said Reid had Asperger's Syndrome a slight form of autism. That's interesting.

smartchick

[53]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    Hey SpencerReid, do you have the links to that interview, or at least remember where you read them? As a fellow avid fan, I'm interested, lol. And where did you find out about the archrival stuff?

BAUCTU

[54]Nov 28, 2006
    SpencerREid wrote:

Apparently the archrival went to school with Reid and is smarter than him by 1 IQ point...which is nothing really....He is supposed to be taller and cuter too... that's hard to believe, tho!!! I'm looking forward to this story arc. I wonder who feels the need to compete.....probably the other kid.

I read on another interview that Matthew said Reid had Asperger's Syndrome a slight form of autism. That's interesting.

presumably its this weeks episode, they finally changed the preview on cbs yesterday and straightaway I assumed it was him.

SpencerREid

[55]Nov 28, 2006
    I read it on an article on the internet. It was a Q&A They were asking Matthew some questions about his character......but don't remember where...unlike Reid I have the worst memory...sorry...if I find it I'll let you know.

SpencerREid

[56]Nov 28, 2006

Ok...I found the link for the interview......ENJOY!!!!! I'm glad we are going to learn more about Reid on the three upcoming episodes. (thanks for the info JIM)

Hete it is:

http://tvdramas.about.com/od/criminalminds/a/matgraygubint.htm

It talks about some personal stuff. His grandparents founded a radio station in Las Vegas and his sister is a designer. I'm impressed since I do love her clothes!!!! and then Matthew talks about Dr. Reid. Very interesting interview. I had no idea two of his Phd's were in maths and physics.I'm thrilled since those are my two favorite subjects.

neokel

[57]Nov 28, 2006

Fistly i have to agree regarding the aspergers syndrome aspoect. Reids character wheither based on MGG or not is a true condition and it clerly defines Reids character.. his lack of social skills, his way of looking at things (series 1 ep14: i believe he was seeing stringed words in a wordsearch this is a classic aspergers symptom (not the right word but i am sure you understand) )

Reid fasinates me as a character because he suffers from lack of confidence higher intelligence and yet he copes brilliantly in the job setting he is in ... He is only 25 i believe (Reid) and the others raly around him and help him out , series one 24th bday Gideon gave him basball tickets and told him to ask JJ as shes a big fan and although no more is heard of that you kind of understand what Gideon was doing.

The whole Elle story of disrtuction as i  have come to know it (lol) , Reid knew how she was feeling but wasn't able to express it to others untill after.

If you talk about the team in a family sense it would beintersting to see where Hotchner fits in ?

SilentLight101

[58]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    I read somewhere that those are his glasses in real life...something about him being allergic to the contact solution or something. Anywho, I like them...they make me smile.

SilentLight101

[59]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think the writers of the show are trying to destroy me. I fell in love with Criminal Minds because my dream job is profiling...when it started I didn't even know who Gubler was. It really makes me sad that Dr. Spencer Reid is not a real guy because he is what I would consider my "dream guy" and it breaks my little heart. There is something absolutely amazing about a genius in Chuck Taylors...and I think his glasses are fantastic. It is a shame that guys like Reid aren't just walking around on the street...congratulations Gubler you rock as Reid...and don't lose the glasses (they are sexy).