Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Dr. Spencer Reid / Matthew Gray Gubler

cbsfan

[81]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 4
    A mockingbird! Thanks. I'll have to do some research on mockingbirds then. It sounded fascinating.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cbsfan

[82]Feb 7, 2007
    A mockingbird. Thanks. I'll have to do some research on mockingbird's then. It sounded fascinating.

BAUCTU

[83]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 14
    kirke_novak wrote:
    It was a mockingbird.

Thats it! I knew I wasnt quite right!

tamarathorne

[84]Feb 7, 2007
    I don't think, I hope they don't write him out. His performances are perfect and brilliant. I'd like to see more character dvelopment like what they did tonight, showing his family....beautiful!

Kamelina

[85]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 1

Hi there, after tonight's episode I was compelled to find somewhere to express my dismay.  I had a feeling as soon as that crazy bushwacked fool shot drugs into poor Reid that they were going to make my poor sunshine a drug addict.  Please oh please say it isn't so.  Why do they always do that...I don't know if anyone remembers New York Undercover, they did the same darn thing.  then they did it again on 24 and I had to stop wathcing.  I must say that if they make my Reid start doing drugs I'm going to stop watching!

K

Eyes_Closed

[86]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 9
    I don't think the drug addiction is going to be drawn out. I'm just kinda hoping maybe in the next episode they find the drugs in his pocket and help him out.

smartchick

[87]Feb 8, 2007
    I agree with Eyes_Closed. I'm not opposed to Reid having a temporary problem with the drugs (even though, yes, it was heart-breaking to watch him be forcibly turned into an addict.) Let's face it:  those type of drugs are HIGHLY addictive, and Reid had it injected into him for approximately two days! It would be unrealistic if he didn't have a hard time coming off of them. Besides, you can't possibly believe he's going to walk away from this without emotional trauma, and dealing with emotional issues isn't exactly his specialty. He'll probably also rely on the drugs to help numb his pain.

Mystic_01

[88]Feb 8, 2007

I already wrote this in the Revelation forum but since it really applies to this topic too I will re-write part of it. 

"It was very hard to watch Reid be tortured but I think it was necessary for the story. And as far as the drug addiction goes, I can see that there could be some really good character development come from it.. After the team realizes that Reid has the drug addiction they will all come together to help him.. I cannot see the producers not solving that problem (with a positive outcome) as it is very clear that his character carries the demographic audience.. So I really don't think anything too bad will come of it.. However they may draw it out a bit.. Which can be a good thing.. (more screen time for Reid.... with what would have to be a happy ending cus everybody loves him).

Now having said that be warned that none of this will be brought out in next weeks episode.. Keep in mind that next weeks episode is Fear and Loathing.. Which was a preempted episode and was originally scheduled to air prior to these two episodes.. So I would be willing to bet there will be no mention of this until at least the episode titled Distress.. Which by it's title could possibly center on the "distress" Reid will be going through after this case.. Just speculation though.."

Ok so I copied and pasted most of it.. But you all get the point right?

Kamelina

[89]Feb 8, 2007

I know in reality that all that you have said it true, maybe its just my own struggles with witnessing addictions.  I can never deal with it even in fiction.  I do love the show so I may give it a go.  I really hope they don't draw it out.  I thought about it more last night and agree that the torture he went through will need some strong coping methods.  I kinda thought though that Reid's superior intellect would see that it was an illogical path or something.  I think the kicker was the recollections he had of his mother and his actions that sent him over the edge.  Probably too much pain that has lain undelt with.  Oh well, we'll see where it goes.

K

Reid_luver

[90]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 10

Yea, I don't want it drawn out either.

Okay, quick thing, I just read an article where MGG announced that Reid has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a cross of mild schizophrenia and autism, which I guess would explain why he's so smart, and I guess that since his mom is schizophrenic he has the chance to be as well, but was there any indication of this from other shows? I have been unable to watch just a few because of conflicting events far beyond my control, and I don't recall him ever showing signs of schizophrenia. Can someone help me?

Plus, like people have mentioned before, I DON'T WANT REID TO BECOME A SCHIZOPHRENIC MANIAC AND THEN EVERYONE GOES AND TAKES HIM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would completely ruin the show and once that happens I'll stop watching the show because if they take away who MGG is, the show is ruined.

lazy_lemur

[91]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    Reid_luver wrote:

Okay, quick thing, I just read an article where MGG announced that Reid has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a cross of mild schizophrenia and autism, which I guess would explain why he's so smart, and I guess that since his mom is schizophrenic he has the chance to be as well, but was there any indication of this from other shows? I have been unable to watch just a few because of conflicting events far beyond my control, and I don't recall him ever showing signs of schizophrenia. Can someone help me?

Actually, I have a cousin with Asperger's syndrome, and Reid does
    display some of the characteristics, but in my opinion, he is way too
    functional to actually have it. Most people with Asperger's have trouble with very simple social
    behaviors like looking people in the eye and even forming relationships
    outside of the family, which Reid has been able to do. My cousin is actually around Reid's age (he's
    24) and also has a genius level IQ like him, but he acts more like a 10 year old kid and has a lot of trouble communicating like a normal person. Reid may not be able to get along and relate well to people his own age, but the way that he's able to stand infront of police officers and other agents and explain a criminal's profile and have decent relationships with the members of the BAU is most likely not something that a 25 year old with Asperger's could do.

The mention of Schitzophrenia was in the epidsode "Derailed" in the first season where an insane man held a train car full of passengers hostage. Reid got on the train to try to help with the situation, and began talking to the man, who was actually a renoud physicist gone mad, about how he understood what the voices were like, and how the voices gave him all of his ingenious ideas no one else understood. Again, while it's possible Reid may have Schitzophrenic tendencies, Schitzophrenia symptoms usually begin to occur in the late teens. I'm not sure if the symptoms can occur at any time in one's life if there is a family history, but my guess is Reid doesn't have Schitzophrenia.

smartchick

[92]Feb 9, 2007

I don't know why everybody took Reid's line from Derailed so seriously: "I know what the voices are like..." He was trying to establish a bond and gain Dr. Briar's trust in order to diffuse the situation. He wanted the guy to be able to relate to him. I'd say the odds of Reid dodging the schizophrenia bullet are in his favor.

You know guys, I know watching our adored FBI whizz kid sneak the drugs sent us into varying tailspins, but why don't we try taking this approach:  At least this means more screen time for Reid!

Well, why not look at it that way? At the beginning of the season we whined that he didn't get enough attention. (or okay, I was mentally whining)

Edited on 02/09/2007 8:10pm

iix3codymlinley

[93]Feb 9, 2007
    Reid Rocks!

Reid_luver

[94]Feb 9, 2007

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks lazy_lemur. Now I remember when Reid said that, and by the way that episode was awesome the way Reid pretended to take a computer chip out of that guy. Also, the information was helpful, I feel better about Reid now.

Yea, I think you're right smartchick, but what if it's wrong? Oh well, this does mean more screen time for Reid, but I just hope it's not as awful to bear as him being in constant pain. I enjoy all his smart comments that made you laugh in the previous episodes, not the agonizing outbursts of distress that make you cry.

Kamelina

[95]Feb 9, 2007

I definitely agree.  Reid does not fit the profile for Aspergers...WAY too high functioning.  People with Aspergers are usually not even able to form simple friendships with others as Reid is able to do.  Not only that but remember the ep. where that famous chick wanted to get down with Reid or vice versa.  That seems too much for a person with Aspergers to manage...He does have many tendencies though, but I think it mostly comes from his mind always having been to overgrown for his body and perceived chronological age.  I would stretch that to the topic of schizophrenia as well.  When I saw that train ep., I took it to mean that as a genius he is able to identify with the other dude just due to the MANY thoughts he has going on in his head, I mean he remembers EVERYTHING he reads right.  His head is probably too crowded which may sometimes seem like voices.  I feel that way about people suffering from schizophrenia, they have so much internal dialogue due to their own thoughts about so many things that it manifests like voices.  What if he has a new under or misdiagnosed form of some sort of combination of the tow disorders.  Aspergers itself is fairly new, maybe something else new...Aspergerophrenia is popping onto the horizon.  It could happen...Anywho, didn't mean to go on a psychological tangent...Reid Rocks!

K

JPPT1974

[96]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 50
    Reid is the brain of the team. And the team tries to see what he thinks. And if he is addicted. Then he won't be able to do his work!

smartchick

[97]Feb 9, 2007

Kamelina, my friend, these forums are the place to unleash Criminal Minds-related tangents (especially since our family and friends tend to get tired of hearing them and have no clue where they are coming from!).

Actually, I can see one terrific way this drug business could develop Reid's character. It will force him to learn how to really express his problems to others and seek out help when it's necessary. He has spent his entire life being entirely self-dependent (as inadequate as it may have been at times) when it came to his personal needs. As a little boy, he practically raised his own mother. His responsibilities progressed into the realm of adulthood at, what, eight-years-old?! From what I've learned about drug addiction, it's next to impossible to kick the habit on your own, and we all know that is precisely what he will probably try to do.

Hopefully, the team banding together to pull him off the road to self-destruction will strengthen his communication skills, resolve some of his trust issues, and in short, add another dimension to his character. Think about the Reid we met in the very first episode and the Reid we have all come to know and love. He has progressed from a bookish prodigy with the social awareness of a marigold to a brave agent with growing confidence and friendships. This progression can only keep going.

Remember the Elle fiasco? Alot of us feared the show would go down the tubes after she left, but here it is--a bonified hit with its highest ratings ever. Let's trust the writers once again. I don't think our worst fears will be confirmed.

Good grief. Can you tell I'm an eternal optimist or what?

lazy_lemur

[98]Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I think Reid truly was trying to identify with that man in "Derailed", but I do think there was some truth to his statement about the voices. I don't think Reid is a Schizophrenic, but I'm sure he does "hear voices", as we all do in one way or another.

I too hope that this drug addiction doesn't last too long, but I don't want them to cut it too short either. I hope this becomes an opportunity for the team to come together and help Reid deal with his addiction, and maybe even his troubled childhood. I just hope it doesn't go the other way and make Reid become isolated from the rest of the team. I like to see Reid grow, but I don't want him to become too cold and hardened. The best thing about Reid is that his heart is as big as his brain. He always seems to be the one asking what's wrong, and, if you guys remember from "The Fisher King", the team members all seem to trust Reid the most with their secrets. He's so kind and innocent and naive about many things the other team members aren't. I just don't want him to lose the very things that make him Dr. Spencer Reid through this addiction.

mzrenegade454

[99]Feb 9, 2007

Has anyone else noticed how weird he holds a pencil,  I thought at first he was left handed because they tend to curl around the pencil because they have to write what to them is backwards but he's right handed.  I just thought it was weird.

Reid_luver

[100]Feb 9, 2007

I completely agree with all of you. Reid is like the big brother you've always wanted, and if he is tainted by the evils of the world, what does that leave the rest of us with? I think you're right smartchick, that Reid will try to handle his addiction all by himself, so that will be an episode or two, and then the team with realize something is drastically wrong and then band together and help him through it, kind of like a support group people form to help loved one's kick their habit. This way, the Reid-addiction thing isn't too short or too long, and then the whole group will be better unified. From experiences like 9/11 and other catastrophes like the Holocaust, these events have taught that people join together in the midst of danger and trials, and so this emotional adventure (and physical, in Reid's case) will be just the thing to make them an even tighter family than before, and then they'll be ready to take on even tougher cases in their field of work, which in my guess will be Season III.  

Whew.