Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Dr. Spencer Reid / Matthew Gray Gubler

lazy_lemur

[101]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    mzrenegade454 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how weird he holds a pencil, I thought at first he was left handed because they tend to curl around the pencil because they have to write what to them is backwards but he's right handed. I just thought it was weird.

Yeah, I actually did notice that earlier today! I found it in a picture:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/thecranium/Criminal%20Minds/Season%20Two/204%20Psychodrama/?action=view¤t=2.jpg
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Reid_luver

[102]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 10

Oh yeah. Well, the website didn't work for me, but if you go to the videos on this website, and watch "Major Depressive Episode", then you'll see Reid write in that strange way. It's actually how my sister used to write, so I guess some people prefer using all their fingers as opposed to just two.

phf3947

[103]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 71
    The MGG fansite where that photo is located - The Cranium - was created by a close personal friend and her sister. He has seen it, and told them he likes it.

Finnegan77

[104]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 27

While I think the CM writers rank up there with the best on TV, I am anxious about dealing with the drug use, too.  It seems derivative, doesn't it?  I mean, way back in the day there was a TV show called Starsky and Hutch (I may be dating myself, here) where one cop was taken hostage and forcibly addicted to Heroin.  After much overacting and histrionics, he was cured, but do we want to see that on such a cerebral show as CM?  We could all come up with more recent heroes dealing with drug addiction - Dr. Carter on ER, Martin on Without a Trace, House on, well, House... I could go on.

My hope is that Reid will reach out for help FAST - and that perhaps Gideon and Hotchner already have a clue to what's going on and are waiting for him to realize he needs help. 

In real life, Reid's character would have been taken off to the hospital after Revelations, and wouldn't be able to return to active duty until he'd been checked out completely - physically and psychologically.  I can see Reid's character taken out of the field for a while after this ordeal - he can keep Garcia company in the geek room. 

Anyone have a clue as to how they're going to handle Fear and Loathing?  Must have been filmed long before Revelations.  Perhaps a note at the beginning giving us a date?

flowerxchild

[105]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 4

Reid, like many other people, is my all time favorite character. I don't usually go for the slightly nerdy guys of tv shows, but he is different. Even though he's a genius he's got the whole disturbed past thing going on.

Revaltions was the best episode because it gave everyone a look on his childhood. I was even crying towards the end of the episode. Matthew gave an extrodinary performance that will be remembered. I hope the writers give us even more stuff on Reid like the addiction to heroin that is forming.

BAUCTU

[106]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 14
    [QUOTE="Finnegan77"]In real life, Reid's character would have been taken off to the hospital after Revelations, and wouldn't be able to return to active duty until he'd been checked out completely - physically and psychologically.  I can see Reid's character taken out of the field for a while after this ordeal - he can keep Garcia company in the geek room.[QUOTE]

In Derailed Elle had to go the hospital even though she only had a minor cut, so Reid definetly would have gone to hospital. He was there for 2 days so a complete medical would have been required.

zetalady

[107]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    Quick question...in Part 2 of Revelations (which was awesome by the way), what did Reid take out of his pocket in the last scene?  For the life of me, I didn't catch it.................help! 

A1707

[108]Feb 10, 2007
    I agree. A hospital visit should have definitely took place and surely the marks on his arm would have been noticed. but even if by some chance no one found out, Im not too worried. After all the whole point of the BAU is to study human behavior so it's not surprising that the team is going to notice Reid's changing behavior in "Distress" His addiction will serve as a good way of expanding on him as a character and giving him more screen time!!! Im sure that with the teams support we'll see our Reid recovering in no time!! As a huge Reid fan i need to stay extremely optimistic! If the writters are smart they'll give us back our old Reid sooner or later! (hopefully sooner!!!!)

A1707

[109]Feb 10, 2007
    I dont recall him taking anything OUT of his pocket, but he did take Tobias's drugs and put them into his pocket....unless i missed something too?

zetalady

[110]Feb 10, 2007
    THAT was it...thanks so much for setting me straight.  Now it all makes sense -- that's what I get for multi-tasking!!! 

kirke_novak

[112]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 9
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Anyone have a clue as to how they're going to handle Fear and Loathing?  Must have been filmed long before Revelations.  Perhaps a note at the beginning giving us a date?

I hope they do. I like 'Torchwood' but the most annoying thing about it is the absolute lack of continuity, due to the fact that some of episodes had been showed in the wrong order. I hope that this won't be the case with CM. :/

BAUCTU

[113]Feb 11, 2007
    kirke_novak wrote:
    Finnegan77 wrote:

I hope they do. I like 'Torchwood' but the most annoying thing about it is the absolute lack of continuity, due to the fact that some of episodes had been showed in the wrong order. I hope that this won't be the case with CM. :/

A show in the UK )The Bill) recently had a big storyline which killed a major character. For someone unknown reason they decided to show it out of order, you got like 4 episodes of this big storyline and then the next episode everyone was all cheerful like nothing had happened, obviously from their point of view nothing had! I guess we'll now get back in order and have the grieving process but it just seems so wrong.

I guess the good thing with a drug problem is that you can make it believable that it is hidden in oone episode then comes to light in the next/ I just hope they get it right! It is of course possible that they reshot a few scenes to add it in a little!

Finnegan77

[114]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 27
    I've been wondering why Reid would choose Hotch as the recipient of his clues.  Reid/Gideon have a much closer relationship, and Gideon is the superprofiler, yet Reid picked something only Hotch would understand.  While the writers may have just been using this to do some much needed exposition of Hotch's character, it may actually be rooted in Reid's gut-level reaction to his situation.  We may be seeing the development of a rift between Reid and Gideon.  Even if he understands it on a rational level, the reality is what Gideon did - cutting off Raphael's ability to post his murders - was what got Reid killed.  And remember Reid's expression when Gideon spoke to him from the final crime scene?  Reid was not exactly brimming with relief.  

BAUCTU

[115]Feb 11, 2007
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    I've been wondering why Reid would choose Hotch as the recipient of his clues.  Reid/Gideon have a much closer relationship, and Gideon is the superprofiler, yet Reid picked something only Hotch would understand.  While the writers may have just been using this to do some much needed exposition of Hotch's character, it may actually be rooted in Reid's gut-level reaction to his situation.  We may be seeing the development of a rift between Reid and Gideon.  Even if he understands it on a rational level, the reality is what Gideon did - cutting off Raphael's ability to post his murders - was what got Reid killed.  And remember Reid's expression when Gideon spoke to him from the final crime scene?  Reid was not exactly brimming with relief.  

Reid had to think of a sin he could claim that one of the team had that they would know what he was getting at. By saying their sin he was able to wrongly quote the bible passage. I don't think there is anything more to it then that. Gideon did what he thought was right, if he hadn't they may never have found Reid.

smartchick

[116]Feb 11, 2007

I agree that Reid just thought of the recent conversation he and Hotch had had, and he thought of a way to spin the entire incident into a clue using a Bible passage.

I certainly hope we don't see a rift between Gideon and Reid, and for the most part I can't see how one would develop. I doubt Reid will hold a grudge against Gideon for having gotten him killed. (You know, reading that last sentence is almost funny when you think about the context of it.) Gideon had to make that tough choice. Being an agent himself, Reid would understand the nature of that kind of decision.  And when Gideon spoke into the computer after the murder, he had only been trying to comfort Reid. (and why wouldn't he? Reid was torn up over the whole thing) Reid surely realized that Gideon's intent wasn't to get him killed later.

The only possible rift I could see would be if Gideon gets angry at Reid over the problem and figuratively decides to smack him in the back of the head. Gideon has always acted like a surrogate father as far as Reid has been concerned, so to me, the anger option makes no sense. How could anyone blame Reid for the addiction?! Still, my viewpoint on Gideon could be way off-base. If anyone feels Gideon will react harshly, I'd love to hear why.

My money is on either Morgan or Gideon as far as who decides to confront Reid. We all saw Gideon's expression when he asked for a second alone. And how do we know Morgan didn't turn around to watch Reid when Reid was fishing around in Tobias's pocket? He stayed farther behind than the others. Oh well. I just hope whoever does confront him takes a gentle approach, not a "What the heck is wrong with you?!" approach.

Fear and Loathing may have been shot before the Superbowl episodes, but did anyone else notice the pair of feet rushing into the bathroom during the trailer? I strongly suspect it's Reid. A scene or two like that could've easily been shot and added in during the editing process. They may also have re-shot the beginning of the episode (when the BAU team makes its appearance) to be more reflective of the kidnapping aftermath.

Just a few thoughts on the situation.

Edited on 02/11/2007 11:33am

doverz

[117]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 9
    smartchick wrote:

I agree that Reid just thought of the recent conversation he and Hotch had had, and he thought of a way to spin the entire incident into a clue using a Bible passage.

I certainly hope we don't see a rift between Gideon and Reid, and for the most part I can't see how one would develop. I doubt Reid will hold a grudge against Gideon for having gotten him killed. (You know, reading that last sentence is almost funny when you think about the context of it.) Gideon had to make that tough choice. Being an agent himself, Reid would understand the nature of that kind of decision.  And when Gideon spoke into the computer after the murder, he had only been trying to comfort Reid. (and why wouldn't he? Reid was torn up over the whole thing) Reid surely realized that Gideon's intent wasn't to get him killed later.

The only possible rift I could see would be if Gideon gets angry at Reid over the problem and figuratively decides to smack him in the back of the head. Gideon has always acted like a surrogate father as far as Reid has been concerned, so to me, the anger option makes no sense. How could anyone blame Reid for the addiction?! Still, my viewpoint on Gideon could be way off-base. If anyone feels Gideon will react harshly, I'd love to hear why.

My money is on either Morgan or Gideon as far as who decides to confront Reid. We all saw Gideon's expression when he asked for a second alone. And how do we know Morgan didn't turn around to watch Reid when Reid was fishing around in Tobias's pocket? He stayed farther behind than the others. Oh well. I just hope whoever does confront him takes a gentle approach, not a "What the heck is wrong with you?!" approach.

Fear and Loathing may have been shot before the Superbowl episodes, but did anyone else notice the pair of feet rushing into the bathroom during the trailer? I strongly suspect it's Reid. A scene or two like that could've easily been shot and added in during the editing process. They may also have re-shot the beginning of the episode (when the BAU team makes its appearance) to be more reflective of the kidnapping aftermath.

Just a few thoughts on the situation.

I totally agree with the last part. I taped the episode and rewatched it and the guy in the bathroom does look a lot like Reid. Hopefully, they do do something.

lazy_lemur

[118]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    I don't think they're going to go through an entire episode without including something about Reid's ordeal or his addiction after airing an episode that focused almost solely on him. The episode for this week won't center around Reid like last week, but I'm sure we'll see a  few glimpses of him and his developing problems. Even though they may have filmed this coming episode before "Revelations", it doesn't mean that the writers hadn't already come up with the script for "Revelations" and the idea that Reid has a drug addiction and serious emotional struggles following a kidnapping.

Reid_luver

[119]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 10
    Yea, I don't think that Reid and Gideon will get far apart, becuase Gideon is the closest thing Reid ever had to a father, (we know that for sure now) and Reid loves him like a father. The only bad blood I could perceive between them would be Gideon demanding Reid to hand over the drugs (in a very angry/scared tone like only a father could have) and then Reid would break down crying because he never wanted to take the drugs but he's addicted and then Gideon would embrace him for a long time and tell him that no one blames him and they'll all help him through it.

smartchick

[120]Feb 11, 2007

Reid_luver, I must say that is exactly the scenario I'm praying for!

I just don't want to see the writers (whether galliantly doing so in the name of drama or creativity) utilize the drug use as a means of damaging Reid's relationship with any of the team members. This gets-worse-before-it-gets-better ordeal could be a beautiful tool for strengthening his relationships with them, and his touching relationships with the others (especially with Morgan and Gideon) are one of my favorite parts of the show!

Bottom line: These drugs also carry powerful potential  to isolate Reid from the rest of the team (as if his very genius doesn't isolate him enough from everybody else). Isolation is the last thing he needs. I'll bet he's going to be struggling with a strong sense of self-hatred and shame. Such feelings can be debilitating, so even if the writers paint it to be supposedly "for a little while," I feel he's been through enough without also being unofficially branded an outcast!

I respect the writers' judgements, but nevertheless, if they drag Reid down that route, that won't be judgement call with which I'll be overjoyed.