Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Hotchner's brother

Bradzinser75

[1]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    Ok, I've been trying to figure this out and also trying to figure out if I missed something in one of the episodes...

Earlier in the season I remember Hotchner telling someone that he was physically abused by his dad and how horrible it was growing up. There was no mention of any siblings or anything (at least that I remember), and then they suddenly show his brother in the last episode?

Not only that he almost spoke fondly of his father, which completely contradicts the story-line earlier.

Unfortunately I don't have all the episodes recorder so I can't say for sure which one had the original information.

Am I just imagining this or did anyone else catch the potential "goof up"?
    Edited on 05/17/2007 2:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marymoss71

[2]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 9
    That's the thing--Hotch never explicately said he was abused. All he said was some people who are abused grow up to catch killers. We all figured he was talking about himself (which made perfect sense, btw) it seems like he wasn't. For the record, TV Guide stated that the abuse angle is in Derek's backstory. Now, whether this was a sudden change or this is the way it was always meant to be--I have no idea. The direction of "Natural Born Killer" sure made it seem like Hotch was talking about himself.

Bradzinser75

[3]Mar 13, 2006
    LOL Good, at least I'm not the only one that noticed this. And your explanation makes total sense. Apparently he's going to be a pretty good chameleon when dealing with criminals.

jwebs94

[4]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 3
    yeah... I remember thinking, "HUH?????"

they certainly did make it seem like it would be hotch.
    maybe there mom abused them?

or maybe they did decide to make it Morgan's story line.
    Which... still makes me think about how protective Morgan is of Reid. Perhaps that all ties in together. Abusive family, protecing younger siblings, or maybe he could protect a younger sibling.

It will be interesting to learn more about the characters.

SpencerREid

[5]Mar 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    I still wonder why Morgan is so protective of Reid ( I love their relationship and how reid looks up to Morgan and always asks for his advice)...an abusive father and younger siblings makes sense. maybe even one of his younger brothers died....

flame_tiger86

[6]Mar 18, 2006
    • level: 16
    Yeah I never expected Hotchner's brother to make an appearance. I guess it was cause they never really mentioned him (not that i can remember anyways). Lol I love Elle and Garcia's little bit.

Elle: That's Hotch's brother?
    Garcia: Maybe Hotch is adopted?

CandaceS

[7]Mar 24, 2006
    ^^I loved Elle and Garcia's dialogue as well.

I really thought Hotch was the one who was abused from the comment he made, but maybe he meant it in general or something.

jcmjagfan

[8]May 17, 2007
    • level: 17

Did anyone ever come up with an official answer for this one?  (I've been catching up on some of the past posts, trying to brush-up on 1st season epis.) 

I remember the dialog about some abuse victims grow up to be serial killers & others growing up to catch them.   
    I also distinctly remember someone saying Hotch's father was a serial killer.   
    Somewhere along the line, I got the idea Hotch was placed into foster care when his dad went to prison.  So when Hotch's brother showed up, I figured it was a foster-brother & that the dad they were talking about was HIS, not Hotch's, father.  (Or maybe I just totally made up a whole story-line to fill in the gaps, and just think I saw it on the show.  Which would be a "confabulation" according to the DSM-IV, since I truly believe I saw it.)

BTW:  Do we need a thread for Definitions & Resources?  I'd love to be the Official Lexicographer & Reference Librarian.

BAUCTU

[9]May 17, 2007
    • level: 14
    jcmjagfan wrote:

Did anyone ever come up with an official answer for this one?  (I've been catching up on some of the past posts, trying to brush-up on 1st season epis.) 

I remember the dialog about some abuse victims grow up to be serial killers & others growing up to catch them.   
    Somewhere along the line, I got the idea Hotch was placed into foster care when his dad went to prison.  So when Hotch's brother showed up, I figured it was a foster-brother & that the dad they were talking about was HIS, not Hotch's, father.  (Or maybe I just totally made up a whole story-line to fill in the gaps, and just think I saw it on the show.  Which would be a "confabulation" according to the DSM-IV, since I truly believe I saw it.)

BTW:  Do we need a thread for Definitions & Resources?  I'd love to be the Official Lexicographer & Reference Librarian.

There's people who have written dissertation like things on Hotch's backstory! It just don't add up. They haven't revisted the issue of his brother. Maybe they've figured that they've messed with Hotchs backstory enough already and they're going to leave well alone in case they make it worse!

Finnegan77

[10]May 17, 2007
    • level: 27
    jcmjagfan wrote:

I don't know where you read about Hotch's father being a serial killer, but it may have been in some fan fiction, because it has never even been hinted at on the show.  Hotch made one reference to a possible abusive past in NBK but it was very nebulous.  Then we met his brother, Sean, in The Tribe, his younger brother, and Hotch said his father had a heart attack.  He may have been talking about SEAN's father, in that he is so much younger and Hotch's mother MAY HAVE married again.  Then in A&D Hotch spoke about his father possibly having affairs, and when Hotch followed him it turned out he was being treated for terminal cancer. 

No other siblings are mentioned for him, and certainly no reference to his father being a killer.  And he says that his mother lives in Manassas, my town in Blood Hungry, so I don't know where the foster care thing came from either.

BAUCTU

[11]May 17, 2007
    • level: 14
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    jcmjagfan wrote:

I don't know where you read about Hotch's father being a serial killer, but it may have been in some fan fiction, because it has never even been hinted at on the show.  Hotch made one reference to a possible abusive past in NBK but it was very nebulous.  Then we met his brother, Sean, in The Tribe, his younger brother, and Hotch said his father had a heart attack.  He may have been talking about SEAN's father, in that he is so much younger and Hotch's mother MAY HAVE married again.  Then in A&D Hotch spoke about his father possibly having affairs, and when Hotch followed him it turned out he was being treated for terminal cancer. 

No other siblings are mentioned for him, and certainly no reference to his father being a killer.  And he says that his mother lives in Manassas, my town in Blood Hungry, so I don't know where the foster care thing came from either.

Definintly no mention of Hotchs dad been a serial killer. I'm sure his brother is at least a half-brother, well we've never been told anything to suggest otherwise.

phf3947

[12]May 17, 2007
    • level: 71
    This thread has been closed because bumping an old topic is a TOS violation.