Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Jason Gideon / Mandy Patinkin

mscraftee

[81]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 22
    If Mandy has indeed left the show for good, it is a shame. The show, however, will survive. With the amount of talent assembled to make this show work, it will continue, and probably be just as good. The writers, producers, crew, and actors are superb, and I am sure they will overcome this setback admirably.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TrixieBelden

[82]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 20
    Now Mike Ausiello has issued a new story that Mandy Patinkin will return for one episode to wrap up his story. Does anyone know what is really going on here?

djariya

[83]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 19
    If Mr. Patinkin hopes to get another job in TV or film, he better issue some kind of statement to explain what his deal is. I guess returning for 1 episode is better than Gideon disappearing.

Muerz

[84]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    Let's hope the issue will be resolved soon, like with Fox and Eads on CSI a few years back. Criminal Minds will die if Patinkin leaves.

Finnegan77

[85]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 27

Muerz wrote:
    Let's hope the issue will be resolved soon, like with Fox and Eads on CSI a few years back. Criminal Minds will die if Patinkin leaves.

While I'm sure Mandy would like to believe that, I don't think it's true. Many of the other characters have just as big a fan base as Mr. Patinkin, and the stories themselves are very compelling. It was the ensemble acting together that kept me watching this show, and watching the BAU reaction to losing Gideon is something I'm kinda looking forward to seeing. It should give under-utilized Thomas Gibson some more opportunities for story-lines as well.

BAUCTU

[86]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 14
    TrixieBelden wrote:
    Now Mike Ausiello has issued a new story that Mandy Patinkin will return for one episode to wrap up his story. Does anyone know what is really going on here?

I really don't know what to believe anymore, unless Ed decides to drop by and let us know we'll have to make up our own minds as to what we should believe. For the record Ausiello for the most part talks a load of crap, in my opinion anyway. After everything that has been said I can't see MP being welcome back on the set of CM unless of course there is something that we are not aware of. I would still like to hear something from the man himself.

BAUCTU

[87]Jul 15, 2007
    Muerz wrote:
    A tad of an over-exaggeration? I think CM will be different without him, I can't imagine anyone else being able to fulfill the role Gideon did in episodes like Lesson Learned but that doesn't mean the show will be worse for it. Different can be good. Several of my favourite CM episodes barely featured him so as much as I will miss Gideon I don't for a second think the show will die without him.
    Edited on 07/15/2007 6:33am

izz5980

[88]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    Muerz wrote:
    I think people are completely over-estimating Patinkins value to the show. Sure he is a brilliant actor and has made the part of Gideon a brilliant one but his departure is not going to be the end of the show. We still have plenty of brilliant actors left and who knows we may absolutely love his replacement. I didn't think I would ever like Elle's replacement, now I'm glad she left, Emily is a much better character. We need to wait and see what happens and have faith in the wonderful team that make Criminal Minds not start sounding the death toll.
    Edited on 07/15/2007 6:32am

SpencerREid

[89]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    I'm concerned that if Gideon leaves the show the dynamics of the show will have to change. Gideon was the most experienced profiler, the expert, the one with most insights regarding the unsubs, and Reid's mentor. If he leaves Hotch will have to take overthat role.But he is no Gideon so he'll have to rely more on his team for those brilliant insights that Gideon seemed to magically supplied. Change is not always bad....and different can be good. The transition might be hard at first tho. I will sure miss the Gideon/Reid scenes. I hope Hotch can somehow take the role as Reid's mentor. But better still I hope that thingsare worked outwith Mandy and he decides to stay on the show.

jcmjagfan

[90]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 17

I can see two ways of writing him out, without even breaking a sweat:
    -- Gideon has a total breakdown, not hard to imagine after NWO2.
    -- Gideon falls on his sword, sacrificing himself so the Evil-Blonde doesn't shut down the team.

phf3947

[91]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 71
    BAUCTU wrote:
    I really don't know what to believe anymore, unless Ed decides to drop by and let us know we'll have to make up our own minds as to what we should believe. For the record Ausiello for the most part talks a load of crap, in my opinion anyway. After everything that has been said I can't see MP being welcome back on the set of CM unless of course there is something that we are not aware of. I would still like to hear something from the man himself.

This is my expectation as well. Until this happens, the only information we have as of today is one "blistering message" on a fansite and a few blurbs from a gossip columnist with a reputation for reporting what he is fed and isn't required to supply a source. We might have to wait until the CBS Summer 2007 TCA Press Tour for information or possibly a press release will appear in Variety today or tomorrow.

The Fox/Eads salary comparison is apples to oranges, which was a salary dispute, and they were fired by Les Moonves for not showing up for the table read. CSI would not have "died" without them. IMHO, Criminal Minds will be different next season, but it will move forward based on the collective talent of the writers, directors, cast and crew.

BAUCTU

[92]Jul 15, 2007
    I think the sooner they get an official statement out the sooner we can all accept whats happened and look to the future. Right now we're stuck in this limbo, we have the statement from Ed Bernero which is fine in as far as it goes, but we need an official CBS response and a statement from MP. I know they have to get things sorted out for themselves first but without us the fans they have no show, they need to see us a priority.

Finnegan77

[93]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 27

BAUCTU wrote:
    I think the sooner they get an official statement out the sooner we can all accept whats happened and look to the future. Right now we're stuck in this limbo, we have the statement from Ed Bernero which is fine in as far as it goes, but we need an official CBS response and a statement from MP. I know they have to get things sorted out for themselves first but without us the fans they have no show, they need to see us a priority.

ALL the fans. Not just the ones who habit a particular website. (That was a very surprising move for Ed to make.)

While I have all the confidence in the world thatthe writers/actorswill bring us a great season regardless of Mr. Patinkin's involvement, I am very uncomfortable with negative rhetoric bouncing around on the internet. I know, that's the way some businesses run and some negotiations are done, it's just personally not my cup of tea.

bassgirl06

[94]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 11
    Wait... Mandy's leaving? WHAT?!

We all thought the show was going down when Elle left. What's it gonna do if Gideon leaves? He makes the show what it is.

On the other hand, no character is irreplaceable, especially in an ensemble cast. I guess they'll find some way to fix it. But I'm not totally sure that him leaving is a good sign for the future of CM.

MCATLANANRRNC

[95]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 10
    my mun thinks he is a hottie and will be upset but we have a whole year befor s3 and for the show dying without he i can't see it i mean a show is more the one preson and i9 for one will keep watching because i hate him but that's just my in put

scooterstarr

[97]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 12
    In terms of the team dynamics it feels like the "parents" are getting divorced. Gideon and hotch were kind of the team's mom and dad, and now we'll have Hotch having to be both to the rest of the team. I'm hoping they don't replace Gideon right away, and they give the remainder of the team some time to regroup together before bringing in someone new. It'd be a little too soon. And I'll be more than a little mad if they don't do Gideon's exit right. Elle's departure was handled pretty badly. Her exiting by flipping out and shooting someone and then not saying goodbye to the team didn't work for me. Plus the team never really talked about her departure and then didn't mention her again. Gideon was a more crucial part of the team than she was and his exit will be harder to take, so I really hope they do this right.

TahoeForever

[98]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    I think any show can survive the loss of a character as long as the writing and the remaining cast remain strong. After all, ER survived the loss of George Clooney.  Personally, I would enjoy seeing the roles of Dr. Reid, Morgan, JJ and Hotch expanded.  I think that it is appropriate timing for the father/son relationship between Reid and Gideon to fade and a more mature mentoring relationship between Reid and Hotch to develop. Everyone seems to love the Morgan/Reid brother relationship which flows so naturally.  JJ and Reid are cute together, no matter how the writers choose to develop their characters and relationship. Garcia is always fabulous and her interactions with Morgan keep the show light even in its darkest moments.  Gideon was never my favorite and I think the fan base of the other characters is extremely strong and will easily carry the show.  One need only look at the posts on the Dr. Reid thread to assume an expanded role for him and the others would keep many loyal fans happy.  Whatever the outcome, Criminal Minds is a great show with excellent writers and actors and I look forward to season 3.  I have no doubt that fans will get the same high quality show they have experienced for the past two years.  Once again, thanks to Ed for taking the time to issue a forthright and professional response to the fans of Criminal Minds.

insaneclarinet

[99]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 12
    I was pretty shocked to discover this when I returned from camp. I'm optimistic that the show will survive even if Mandy Patinkin isn't there, but it could be very different. Looking on the bright side, Gideon's absence would give the writers a chance to develop Hotch's character a lot more. Some fans may stop watching the show, but I think most will give it a chance. I also agree with BAUCTU--we need answers. I've never been one to believe rumors, but at this point that's almost all we have, plus the one statement from Ed, so I don't know what to believe. Hopefully this will all get sorted out soon.

Muerz

[100]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    Many characters might have a huge fan base, problem with Criminal Minds however is that it skews old. Older people do not tend to visit message boards on the net so often than young people. And old people make the core of CM's audience. Even if Ed Bernero says it isn't about salary disputes, well he does not say what it is about. Ausiello might be a gossip columnist but usually his information is top notch, on the spot right!

And finally you cannot compare the departure of Glaudini and the one Patinkin. She was a supporting actor (as was Clooney in ER, or Fox and Eads on CSI). Patinkin is to CM what Jerry Seinfeld was to Seinfeld, what Billy Petersen is to CSI or Mark Harmon to NCIS. This show might look like an ensemble drama, yet it is being carried by Patinkin alone. He makes the difference, at least for most of those responding over here or at tvguide.com

Should he be out, it will be a really tough season for CM. I enjoy CM but about 90% percent of the season it is a generic, bland show which has a few great actors and for 10% of the season really great, intense storylines. But those 10% are not enough to keep people watching.