Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Jennifer 'JJ' Jareau / A J Cook

BAUCTU

[41]May 30, 2007
    • level: 14
    jcmjagfan wrote:
    Finnegan77 wrote:

Thanks for the cheers, Scooter! But, on the other hand, should I be able to remember little details like that from an episode over 6 months ago, or from a tv show at all?  Guess I like this show a little, huh?

HIP-HIP-HOORAY... RAH-RAH-RAH... SIS-BOOM-BAH...  (3 cheers for Finn) 

We're a bit like the original "Trekkies".  My mom has a scrapbook; she clipped every epi summary & guest star list out the TV Guide, labeled it with the Air-Date and Star-Date, was a charter member of the fan club,etc. etc. etc.... and look how long Rodenberry's dream has lasted.  We need to start holding "Profiler Conventions".  Except we couldn't have cosume contests -- Everyone would show up in MIB FBI suits!

Don't want to get OT: I think the JJ + LaMontagne ship would work.  He can come up for a seminar at Quantico.  And his accent was just fine, Thank-You-Very-Much!   He had a definite Cajun twang, right off the bayou. 
      There are at least 8 different Southren accents, not counting the deep-rural ones (back of beyond, down in the boon-docks, moonshiner rural.)  Don't believe me? Watch Steel Magnolias!!

Fistly - you're a complete fruitloop!

Second - I think you're alone in liking that accent!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jcmjagfan

[42]May 30, 2007
    • level: 17

Wanna bet?  

We could start a poll under the "Guest Stars" or "Jones" Topic.  (So we don't start a random thread). 

Dodgey-Accent spotters unite:  In "Jones" is Det. LaMontagne's accent correct for the New Orleans area???

2010Platypus

[43]May 30, 2007
    • level: 13
    I just got back from New Orleans (the whole time I was down there, I couldn't stop thinking about "Jones".) I would classify LaMontagne's accent as Cajun. He wouldn't be from New Orleans originally. He would have been from the west where you hit the real swamps, bayous, Lake Ponchartrain, etc. His accent matches that. They call people who live in the bayous and swamps moreso than the cities, and their accents are just like his.
    Edited on 05/30/2007 5:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

phf3947

[44]May 30, 2007
    • level: 71
    This line of discussion regarding accents in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana needs to be discontinued before we have a flame war on our hands. Thanks.

Finnegan77

[46]May 30, 2007
    • level: 27
    I don't have a problem with JJ having a "special friend" - as long as it isn't Reid!  Just say no to inter-BAU shipping! These guys don't need any more stress than they already have, IMO. And JJ, Prentiss and Penelope are too great to be overlooked by the guys - at least Penelope had a date recently!

lferna5

[47]May 30, 2007

I was watching Criminal Minds with my friend and she felt that Hotch and JJ should have something develop between them - I don't know if it's just her or has anybody else feel the same way. Has the thought even crossed anyone's mind - just curious.

I know this might be ouf of character for Hotch - they should have this storyline where Hotch and his wife have a fight or she leaves him because he's consumed with work all the time - and he should seek comfort with JJ. 

BAUCTU

[48]May 31, 2007
    lferna5 wrote:

I was watching Criminal Minds with my friend and she felt that Hotch and JJ should have something develop between them - I don't know if it's just her or has anybody else feel the same way. Has the thought even crossed anyone's mind - just curious.

I know this might be ouf of character for Hotch - they should have this storyline where Hotch and his wife have a fight or she leaves him because he's consumed with work all the time - and he should seek comfort with JJ. 

NO!!! That for me would be totally against Hotchs chracter, he's a family man. IF they do ever split him and Haley up (please no!) then I still wouldn't want him with JJ. I don't want any of the team to be paired up.

Durwen

[49]May 31, 2007
    • level: 2
    BAUCTU wrote:
    lferna5 wrote:

NO!!! That for me would be totally against Hotchs chracter, he's a family man. IF they do ever split him and Haley up (please no!) then I still wouldn't want him with JJ. I don't want any of the team to be paired up.

I'm totally with you on that. I don't want this show to turn into a soap opera.

I think they're exploring a couple of relationships that were almost nonexistent before, Hotch/JJ and Gideon/Garcia. And they work perfectly fine as they are, IMHO. 

BAUCTU

[50]Jun 1, 2007
    Durwen wrote:

I'm totally with you on that. I don't want this show to turn into a soap opera.

I think they're exploring a couple of relationships that were almost nonexistent before, Hotch/JJ and Gideon/Garcia. And they work perfectly fine as they are, IMHO. 

I don't think that the CM guys are pushing any of them together though, it's just some fans who want it to happen so are trying to see it. I actually like the emerging friendship of Garcia and Gideon, but it is just that - a friendship. Garcias way of looking at the world could help Gideon deal with all that has happened.
    Edited on 06/01/2007 10:55am

michaelhanergod

[51]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    I agree completely. This show is NOT a soap opera. And should never become one.

Finnegan77

[52]Jun 1, 2007

michaelhanergod wrote:
    I agree completely. This show is NOT a soap opera. And should never become one.

One more vote for NO SOAP OPERAS on CM! Watching the profilers jump in and out of bed with each other is NOT something I ever want to see.

jcmjagfan

[53]Jun 1, 2007

To quote "Broken Mirror"

Reid: "There's no code of conduct that says agents can't socialize."
    Morgan: "Well, see, my code of survival says never mess with a woman that carries a gun."

Work-place romances never turn out well.

Finnegan77

[54]Jun 13, 2007

Continuing the trend - which episodes do you think best showcase the character of JJ?

It's hard to find a great ep for JJ in season one - unless I'm forgetting one where she was able to shine. She did have a few moments in FK1, a cute scene in Compulsion introducing herself to Elle, and the scene between JJ and Reid during his birthday celebration.

In season two, I loved her banter with Morgan in Boogeyman, and her reaction to Reid's abduction in Revelations. Her romantic interest with LaMontaigne Jr in Jones really bothered me. Frankly, it seemed really unprofessional to me.

jcmjagfan

[55]Jun 13, 2007

Finnegan77 wrote:
    Continuing the trend - which episodes do you think best showcase the character of JJ?
    It's hard to find a great ep for JJ in season one - unless I'm forgetting one where she was able to shine. She did have a few moments in FK1, a cute scene in Compulsion introducing herself to Elle, and the scene between JJ and Reid during his birthday celebration.
    In season two, I loved her banter with Morgan in Boogeyman, and her reaction to Reid's abduction in Revelations. Her romantic interest with LaMontaigne Jr in Jones really bothered me. Frankly, it seemed really unprofessional to me.

I skimmed the epi list, and I seem to remember her taking a nice role in "The Popular Kids", organizing the locals in a waywhich encouraged the Unsub to take part.

She's probably the least appreciated of the team.Poor J.J.has totake heat from the press,while playing to the Unsub on camera. She's always good with the families of the victims, buffering them from the press. J.J. also serves as a buffer forthe team. Shetakesthe heat from the parents for the FBI not moving fast enough, etc.

As far as LaMontaigne, it was just amild flirtation,and they were working the bar scene. I think she was just playing "when in Rome". It's not like they hid out in a hotel roomwhile folks were being butchered.I kind of liked seeing her away from the press & families, not having to hold herself in.

2010Platypus

[56]Jun 13, 2007

One of the episodes where we got to appreciate more of what JJ does was "Open Season". The scene where she trained the sheriff on how to talk to a parent was very good. It gave us great insight to what she does.

As for other episodes, JJ doesn't really have a major standout, althought "Revelations" was really amazing. She has lots of great smaller moments in lots of episodes, such as "Legacy" where she figured out Kansas City MO/KS thing. There was also "Riding the Lightning" where she entered the interrogation room with Hotch. There are lots of JJ moments that are good.

jcmjagfan

[57]Jun 14, 2007

You're right. She has brilliant moments whereboth J.J. and A.J.shine, but no single episode where she's been given a chance to star. "North Mammon" was the epi where we learned most about J.J.'s backgraound. It's the one with the 3 girls locked in the bunker & only 2 would come out. Even that one didn't really put her in the spotlight, since the mostintense scenes were between the girls.

Gee,Imust've tripped & knocked over a can of light methaphors, sorry 'bout that.

phf3947

[58]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 71
    Here's a really nice interview with AJ Cook that explains how she feels about being famous and possibly why she didn't submit an episode for Emmy consideration: Keeping a low profile.

Finnegan77

[59]Jun 19, 2007

phf3947 wrote:
    Here's a really nice interview with AJ Cook that explains how she feels about being famous and possibly why she didn't submit an episode for Emmy consideration: Keeping a low profile.

She sounds like a lovely person - very well grounded. Not out to "be a star" but to be really good at her profession. This attitude should keep her on a pretty even keel in the Hollywood scene. From other things we've read, the friendships of the cast and crew members should also help keep each other's egos well deflated. Here's hoping.

BAUCTU

[60]Jun 19, 2007

She manages to keep out of the spotlight very well in this media frenzed world. It's nice to see someone who is happy to be herself and doesn't need to do the 'hollywood' thing of partying 24/7. I think CM has some really strong role models in its female cast.

The other page of the interview is nice aswell.

Edited on 06/19/2007 4:02pm