Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official discussion thread: "3rd Life" - Spoilers

CMJunkie

[41]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 8

Keep in mind... the daughter wasn't the first person to bring up Jack killing the unsubs.... Katie's dad was... and he was an adult, presumably a model citizen. Lindsay had been through hell, and witnessed her best friend going through even more.... I have no problem at all with her being shut down emotionally and wanting the guy dead. As for the glance between the 2, I totally took it as "I miss Katie.... is it ok to "be" her?"

The scene with Reid was good... until the rest of the team just left him there and he went back to jaw dropping shock.... I didn't buy that last bit, and, even as a Reid fan, it annoyed me. (ducks and runs lol )

Edited on 01/12/2008 9:16am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Buffy_Chick

[42]Jan 12, 2008
    lol no need to run from me.

It only annoyed me because they just kinda leftReid there.... You do see a breif shot of him walking out with the others, but you don't see anything more beyond that.
    Obviously it wouldn't be practical to show every little shot. Not only is there not time, but it would take away from the episode as a whole. However, I'm a wee bit selfish. I want to know if Reid numbingly followed everyone else out, or if Hotch stayed for a moment to talk to him, and then they caught up to the rest. I also want to know if Reid caught a ride back with the others, or not. He drove there on his own, but I don't think he'd have been in the right state of mind to drive brack on his own. They didn't show which vehicle he got in, and it's gotten my creative writing mind/juices whatever, flowing like crazy! I want to do up my own continuation, but working on 2 other projects write now, so I can't... not yet anyway.

Anyways... speculation... hmmmm I certainly hope we get more on the drug story-line now. I'm sure we can all (or at least the majority of us can) agree that it just kind of dissapated into nothingness. We were left wanting more, and now if the perfect time to give it to us! I still don't want to get my hopes up, but... It's just such a perfect oppertunity.

REIDFANATIC

[43]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 5

I, too, was annoyed that they just left Reid standing there especially since Hotch was so concerned in Georgia that he hadn't helped Reid deal with things emotionally. If there was ever a need, I feel, this was it.

I do agree that the drug issue just faded away, and this would be the perfect situation to reopen it, but I'm not sure if I want it to resurface. I know there are those who want the whole drug thing with Reid having a total meltdown, but if that happened then my favorite team member would likely be off the canvas totally. He certainly wouldn't be allowed in the field (if the show was being realistic). They stuck Gideon in a classroom for months after his breakdown and that was only PTSD, not PTSD combined with drugs. I fear Reid would be gone or stuck in some hole in the wall for months on end if not permanently. I don't think the FBI would look too kindly on drug use.

CrazyLady9

[44]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 6

I think, overall, what I like best about this episode is how we all have different interpretations of what was going through people's minds, the daughter in particular. It's just so open to interpretation, it's fun to watch (and watching the ending again I can see how others feel about the ending). I wonder if they acted that scene in an ambiguous manner on purpose to leave it open to us? (If that's the case, keep it up CM, that makes for a brilliant discussion!!)

As for Reid at the end, I kinda felt like he was searching for the words, fumbling if you will. It makes you wonder if maybe he wished that he would've followed orders and waited for Hotchner to arrive so he could try and talk the dad out of it. And to what the previous posters have said, I think if we had gone a full season (or maybe even get a couple episodes in if the strike ends in a hurry), it would be the perfect opportunity to pick up on that drug dependency storyline. I can only imagine what it would be like to see someone take a headshot - with a hunting rifle no less (presumably with that awful buckshot or something similar). Talk about a mess. And to be the only one there who had the opportunity to save the (scummy) perp, and basicly failing, well, there has to be psychological implications to that.

Edited on 01/13/2008 4:47am

Finnegan77

[45]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 27
    CrazyLady9 wrote:
    As for Reid at the end, I kinda felt like he was searching for the words, fumbling if you will. It makes you wonder if maybe he wished that he would've followed orders and waited for Hotchner to arrive so he could try and talk the dad out of it.

I don't think Hotch told him to wait - I think the only thing Hotch said to him was "be careful." No one should expect a trained FBI field agent to wait when someone's life is in danger (even if that someone is a perp) and Reid was also concerned for Lindsey's safety. If Reid had waited, it certainly wouldn't have gone down any differently. The BAU's central mission is not to protect Reid from seeing the badness, but to catch the bad guys and save the victims.

phf3947

[46]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 71
    PMcOuntry wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks we might see dad and daughter again?

There was something... "off" about them. The way the daughter wanted him to kill? I got the feeling when they immediatly made "friends" with their new neighors that maybe we have a father/daughter killing team?

Then again, maybe I just have a really runaway imagination...

This is an intriguing concept. Frank came back, but he was a serial killer. It would be interesting to see how Jack and Lindsey/Katie's story might end.

CrazyLady9

[47]Jan 13, 2008
    That's not what I meant Finnigan. Whether it's Reid or anyone else, they aren't supposed to go rushing into a dangerous situation alone. Standard law enforcement procedure - have backup. They are there to save lives, but you can't do that if you go rushing headlong into a dangerous situation and become a victim yourself. And in this situation, they knew the father was there ahead of them so it wasn't a simple situation of saving the damsel in distress.

Buffy_Chick

[48]Jan 13, 2008
    CrazyLady9 wrote:
    That's not what I meant Finnigan. Whether it's Reid or anyone else, they aren't supposed to go rushing into a dangerous situation alone. Standard law enforcement procedure - have backup. They are there to save lives, but you can't do that if you go rushing headlong into a dangerous situation and become a victim yourself. And in this situation, they knew the father was there ahead of them so it wasn't a simple situation of saving the damsel in distress.

This is true.
    But he knew backup wasn't far behind.

Maybe a little bit reckless, but if you know that going in alone has a higher chance of saving someone elses life, than waiting... Well I'd go in! Sod whatever training I may have, if I didn't go in and someone was killed, I'd blame myself even more for not trying. Because at least if you try, eventually it may take a long while, you can say you did you best, but nothing could have changed the outcome.
    I'd much rather have that on my conscience than the guilt of not trying at all.

CrazyLady9

[49]Jan 13, 2008
    Actually, just take a look at post #44. I was talking about how Reid kind of fumbled his "don't do it speech" (ok, he said the words but not nearly as well or as confidently as a seasoned member of the team) and how he saw the headshot, and how that would've been a good leadup to renew the storyline of his drug dependency. The comment wasn't a critique of his law enforcement tactics - it was about how they might've scripted that incident that way to bring back the storyline. No need to nitpick one sentence out of it and turn the post into something it wasn't.

REIDFANATIC

[50]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    I have to agree with Finnegan. I don't think Hotch intended for Reid to wait. Reid said the school was only a couple of blocks from where he was and Hotch said they would meet him there and to be careful. I think since Reid was closer they knew he would get there first and I think Hotch totally expected him to go in, hence the "be careful." I also don't think he fumbled the don't shoot speech, if you will. I can't think of anything Hotch, Morgan or Rossi could have said to try to dissuade Jack from shooting, that Reid didn't say. At one point I thought Jack was considering not shooting but Lindsay kept on with the "kill him daddy" and eventually he did. Of course Reid isn't as confident as Hotch or Rossi, look at the years they have on him but I still think he did the right thing. Unfortunately it didn't work.

PMcOuntry

[51]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 7

I agree with bits and peices of everyone's here.

Yes, the daughter looking at her dad when saying she was Katie could have been nothing or... it's fun to think there could be a twist. I love it when CM or any show, kind of leaves you going hmmm at the end.

Reid is my fav too and I think his standing in shock for that long was drawn out a bit much. I think it was fine, but once the others showed up he should have sort of look dazed and walked away. He's seen worse and been through worse so...?

As for Reid not being too good with words, I expected that. He is a genius, but that doesn't make him the most confident of the team. Remember when he couldn't shoot his gun very well or when they took it away?

I don't think Hotch intended him to wait either, it was go go go and stop this guy!

I also agree that Hotch could have stopped for 1 moment and said something more to Reid or pulled him aside or something!

I'm always commenting on the drug thing, did it just go away or what? I know Gideon talked to him last season on the plane and then poof no more drugs? Seems loose to me.

Only 1 ep left before the shows start going dark (strike).I guess it's time to rent old ones!

JustCallMeT

[52]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    I don't think this family will be on CM again, nor should they. Don't get me wrong, Lindsay and her dad were great characters, but there is no need for them to return. Lindsay saw her best friend tortured and killed, so I don't blame her for encouraging her dad to kill the sicko. As for taking on Katie's name, I thought it was sweet - she was honoring her best friend.

phf3947

[53]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 71
    Here's an interesting article about the actor who played Taylor Coleman, Curtiss Frisle, in this episode:
    "Camera! Action! Barron actor makes prime time debut." I sure hope he's in California now because it's minus 4 degrees in Barron, Wisconsin, today

vampira_sorcer

[54]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 2

flowerxchild wrote:
    The guy who played Jack looked really familiar but I'm not sure what he was in. I vaguely remember him playing someone who gets shot or hurt in a movie but I'm not sure.

He also plays Marshal Edward Mars in the series "lost"! That's where i had seen him! Nice episode! Although i was a bit comfused at the end.. i thought the way father and daughter looked at each other's eyes meant to be some kind of evil plot.. and then i read your posts, so i guess there was no surprise other than the one i understood.

Edited on 01/19/2008 5:53pm

SpencerREid

[55]Jan 21, 2008
    Buffy_Chick wrote:
    It only annoyed me because they just kinda leftReid there.... You do see a breif shot of him walking out with the others, but you don't see anything more beyond that.

This also bothered me....Reid had to be affected by the shooting. It was obvious by his reaction. Yet no one from the team seemed to reach out to him at the moment. Maybe we can assume they did that off-camera. But it's not the same. I would have loved to hear a conforting speech....like we've heard before when one of the members ia having a hard time coping.

Buffy_Chick

[56]Jan 21, 2008
    Yeah, something more, anything more, would have been nice. Just to kind of tie that up a bit.
    I still don't think he would have been able to drive back on his own, not with his head in that state, so I really want to know what happened... Did he switch with someone else, and go back in one of the SUV's... what?!
    *sigh*
    Perhaps it's just because I have this horrible image of him being too distracted while driving, and running a red light, and.... *sighs again*
    Maybe I just need help. haha.

SpencerREid

[57]Jan 23, 2008
    Buffy...you don't need help....you just need to see more of Reid...

Buffy_Chick

[58]Jan 23, 2008
    This is very true.... My drug. I'm forever addicted, and proud! *grin*
    Can never have enough.
    And when I don't get enough, it makes my imagination run wild and free. Which is a scary thing. It should be locked up an controlled. Only to be let out when closely monitored.

morgonstjarnan

[59]May 19, 2008
    • level: 3

I loved the episode, one of the best so far. I was really impressed by the acting of Katie's parents, especially. Their reaction when hearing the recording was heart-breaking. One thing I'm having trouble understanding, though, is the negative reaction to the girl. I for one find it refreshing to have a girl on the show who isn't constantly crying and in a state of panic. I only wish I had as much courage as her!