Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official discussion thread: "A Family Affair" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]Feb 28, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "A Family Affair" in this thread. This episode was written by Kim Harrison and directed by Rob Spera.
    Edited on 03/06/2012 4:53am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JessieMarie2

[2]Feb 29, 2012
    • level: 3

I thaught this episode was ok not my favorite but not my lest favorite this season. I thaught the plot was a good one but I thaught it could have been exsausted better. I also felt as if the episode moved very slowly and was some what predictable! Also once again we knew who the unsub was in the vary begging which I didn't mind completely but the last few episodes we have found out who they were quickly. But there was some profiling which I liked to see and the acting from the unsubs I thaught was very good! And the end melted my heart I love jack and so glad we say him meet Beth and hotch was happy and smiling!!!!!!!! It melted my heart and also the fact the girls were hungover was super funny! Also Reid babysitting lol! I wish we could have seen that ( ok now it's time to read our bed time story its in Latin haha) but the episode was pretty good defently things I would have changed but whatever I haven't seen a perfect episode in awhile! I would give this one at 8 out of 10 ( the ending saved it from a 7 or a 7.5)

2 quick notes has the mom been on criminal minds before because I recognized her!

Second of all I am starting to get tired of the things Morgan and Garcia say to each other it is starting to get inappropriate and I heard Garcia might be engaged on the show in the near future. Bit as I said its cute to a point but now I am starting to jot like it!

JessieMarie2

[3]Feb 29, 2012
    • level: 3

Ah ha I know her from against the wall

SandraMader

[4]Feb 29, 2012
    • level: 2

Overall, I liked the episode. It had profiling, family moments, and those comedic moments you really appreciate. I mean, Reid babysitting and the girls being all hung over? Especially Prentiss, who as we all know, is leaving again. My only criticism is introducing the unsub too early. Again. I know not every episode can make that unsub seem all mysterious and cryptic but this is like the 4th or 5th episode in a row CM has done it. It made it a tad predictable. I mean, in the first 5 minutes we figure out that the unsub is paralyzed, the mom isn't quite right, and the dad possibly has a drinking problem and the unsub is stabbing his victims. Yet we sit there and wait for the team to realize allthis for 30 minutes. I know, we only know this cause they show it to us and thus we cannot blame the team but you still sit there and are like: "We know that already. Tell us something we don't know!"

Finnegan77

[5]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 27
    I agree with Sandra - a boring episode. The team playing catch-up with the audience for the entire hour is not fun. And it seemed a lot like seat of the pants, on the run profiling probably because of that fact - we're sitting here waiting for the team to put it together. Yikes. And a waste of a couple of great character actors as the unsub's parents, too.

The scene with everyone at the race was kinda fun, wasn't it? They owe Reid big time!

angeland8

[6]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 10
    The episode was nothing special. Loved JJ at the end - "Why are you yelling?"

danharr

[7]Mar 2, 2012
    • level: 45

Not a bad episode but very slow nice job on the whacked out of their gourdes parents.

CM1Fan

[8]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 4

Not one of my favorites either. Very slow going. And I am not a fan of the Hotch romance stuff. I think it is totally out of character. If these episodes are to continue, I'll be truning the show off as soon as the unsub is caught. Seems to be going the way of SVU...too bad!

Edited on 03/04/2012 8:29am

nutmeg0963

[9]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 2

Finally realized this was one of the ones I missed, so caught it a few months late off of youtube. The case itself was so-so, I guess...to be honest, I wasn't paying much attention half the time, so I'm not sure if that's commentary on me being tired or commentary on slowness or boringness of the story.

I actually rather enjoyed the the triathalon and the conversation in the plane about Reid babysitting Henry, both of which were able to make me laugh pretty hard at 5 in the morning, so I'm thinking that counts for something. Clearly, no disasters were reported, the house wasn't torched, and Henry must still be alive, so I'd say Reid carried out a successful job...and yes, those women owe him at least a dinner, haha! If I'd been unexpectedly stranded with a kid all night long while his caregiver was getting soused out of her mind, then I wouldn't be concerned about yelling into her ear either the next day.

Frankly, I don't really care if Hotch has a girlfriend or not. Beth is a bit too much on the perky, "puppies and bubbles!" side for my tastes, but whatever. Hotch has a nice smile he should wear more often, and given that all of these guys (with the possible exception of JJ) are painted to have either nonexistent or sucky personal lives, it makes me happy that the writers finally threw someone a proverbial bone.