Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "A Thin Line" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "A Thin Line" in this thread. This episode was written by Virgil Williams and directed by Michael Watkins.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JessieMarie2

[2]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 3

I LOVE this show and am

Addicted to it but I feel like the season is just average I though this epesoide was good and yes there was profiling but I didn't want to receatch it or anything! I miss the first 5 seasons wear I wanted to re watch every epesoide and was excited after it and not just b4 it I kiss the old criminal minds! But the epesoide was not horrible as I said b4 and yes there was profiling ( thank god) but I didn't like the case and I thought it was terribly sad he will killing children and baby's and a baby that wasn't even born! And I didn't feel like we saw a lot of Reid ( he is my favorite character) and I like when they all get involved! And we didn't really find out any thing new from the characters other than the talk at the end( which I thaught was sweet and I did like that part!) and now my last little nit pick did anyone care that Emily got shot and yes Ik there is only do long in an epoisde but come on it would have been nice to see hotch ask of she was ok I mean he is the team leader! I mean what do u think I would give this epesoide ***** 5 or 6 stars

amaryllis88

[3]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 20
    After I massacred the episode a couple of weeks ago, I will have to admit I really liked this one!! It's weird how there's episodes I really hate this season, and ones I really like, I'm usually not like that. Anyway, even though we saw who the UnSub was, it didn't feel forced upon us like it usually was done, it was more of a passive UnSub this time around, maybe that's why I didn't mind seeing him in the episode.

Morgan showing the trainees an exercise early on was pretty cool watching it, also cool watching Prentiss go through with it as well. Two really favorite moments in this episode, the part on the plane where Prentiss is jabbing Morgan about his toughness earlier in the episode, and when Rossi and Hotchner arrest the politician, and Hotch says, "You have the right to remain silent," and Rossi pipes in with, "And please feel free to exercise that right," or something to that nature, but it was so hilarious, I really laughed out loud!!

The episode felt kind of rushed, but maybe it was me enjoying it, and didn't want a good episode to end so quickly. Anyways, can't wait to see the upcoming episodes!!

stanking

[4]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 10

Was A. J. medicated during the filming of this episode? When J. J. interviews the mother of one of the victims, her eyes are completely dilated. She must have been effectively blind. Or did somebody stab her in the leg with a hypodermic of opiates? Laughing

blackmage8472

[5]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 15

Ok, I'm just having a bit of an issue with the whole politician has a pet serial killer thing.

Just saying.

Edited on 02/25/2012 7:38am

phf3947

[6]Feb 25, 2012
    You and me both, Blackmage. Not only was the actor playing the politician made up to look and act like a young Mitt Romney, he was "hiding assets in the Caymans." Cue bazillionaire Romney's income tax returns that put him into the 15% tax bracket because his money is safely tucked away in the Cayman Islands. Doesn't everyone do that?

Whatev! We've seen racially motivated crimes on the show before, and we've even had home invasion crimes on the show before. But this could be the first time the writers' left-wing agenda was so transparent that it jumped off the screen at us. Nearly as much as Hotch's bright pink lipstick and orange face. What is the deal with the RED camera and poor lighting?

I hadn't planned on even watching this episode based on the writer's first episode ("There's No Place Like Home"), which was an insult to our intelligence, but Thursday night was open and I'd recorded it. Sheesh...

Positives: The directing was good. Paget's facility with accents that made her able to speak Spanish was good. There might've been other good parts, but I can't think of any right now. Anyone want to jump in with your thoughts?

blackmage8472

[7]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 15

phf3947 wrote:
    You and me both, Blackmage. Not only was the actor playing the politician made up to look and act like a young Mitt Romney, he was "hiding assets in the Caymans."

I have to admit, the first thing I thought of was Romney and I'm betting we aren't the only ones. Granted I already loathe Romney for a great number of reasons but I felt this episode was a little too close to propaganda.

Overall I felt the episode could have been good. At the beginning it was very interesting with the whole Helter-Skelter meets the next generation. But why make it into this grandiose conspiracy theory orchestrated by a single politician? If you're going to do that then you need a 2 hour movie where the main character is a a reporter and has a scene where he's being chased by mysterious men in black with a crazy desperate look on his face.

The whole thing just felt convoluted.

JessieMarie2

[8]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 3

This can't be happeninghttp://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/15/paget-brewster-leaving-criminal-minds/. She should have never came back in the 1 place if she was going to leave in a season! Let's just pray Matthew doesn't leave!

phf3947

[9]Feb 27, 2012
    JessieMarie2 wrote:
    This can't be happeninghttp://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/15/paget-brewster-leaving-criminal-minds/. She should have never came back in the 1 place if she was going to leave in a season! Let's just pray Matthew doesn't leave!

Paget came back in the first place because she was forced to do by the terms of her contract and the network; it was not her decision. This time it HER decision to leave. Matthew is currently negotiating his new contract, so you shouldn't worry about it right now.
    Edited on 02/28/2012 12:54am

Finnegan77

[10]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 27
    blackmage8472 wrote:

phf3947 wrote:
    You and me both, Blackmage. Not only was the actor playing the politician made up to look and act like a young Mitt Romney, he was "hiding assets in the Caymans."

I have to admit, the first thing I thought of was Romney and I'm betting we aren't the only ones. Granted I already loathe Romney for a great number of reasons but I felt this episode was a little too close to propaganda.

Overall I felt the episode could have been good. At the beginning it was very interesting with the whole Helter-Skelter meets the next generation. But why make it into this grandiose conspiracy theory orchestrated by a single politician? If you're going to do that then you need a 2 hour movie where the main character is a a reporter and has a scene where he's being chased by mysterious men in black with a crazy desperate look on his face.

The whole thing just felt convoluted.

I just returned from another trip to the south and just caught up on this ep and I couldn't agree with you more. Total propaganda. All right-leaning politicians are evil - so evil that they have to raise serial killers to further their agenda/campaigns. Really. Who would vote for them otherwise??? To have the BAU sitting back to parse everything a candidate says and then lay down judgment on their words?? Wow, talk about arrogance in the extreme. Yes yes yes and I know I know I know the guy said some dumb stuff, but this really sounded like the Hollywood community poking at not only Romney, but the immigration problems and tough rhetoric in places like Arizona. I don't want to get into a political discussion here, nor do I want any more actors/screenwriters who pretend to be experts on everything from ALS to the European Union plastering their condescension on my tv screens.

Absolutely best part was Prentiss jokingly repeating Morgan's words back to him and then poking him about Doyle. GREAT scene.

danharr

[11]Mar 2, 2012
    • level: 45

This was over the top funny but it was a nice mesh of the Manson murders modernized the guy looked like Rommney but the race angle had me thinking of Santorum and Gingrich. All in all it was a swipe at the republicans but what can I say the shoe fits both of those guys have been taking primaries by saying all blacks are on welfare and they hate gays not the writers fault real life imitates art.

Larexx

[12]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 11

Wow, I never once thought of Romney watching this episode. But then that's why I come here. To get a different perspective.

mrivera

[13]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 8

Ah yes, the election season is here. A conservative politician influences a teenager to stage home invasions to make it look like they are being perpetrated by minorities. All that was missing were photos of Sarah Palin or George Bush on the walls of campaign headquarters. Disgusting political propaganda. The only purpose of this episode was to get the audience to despise conservatives.

lynna12000

[14]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 21
    mrivera wrote:

Ah yes, the election season is here. A conservative politician influences a teenager to stage home invasions to make it look like they are being perpetrated by minorities. All that was missing were photos of Sarah Palin or George Bush on the walls of campaign headquarters. Disgusting political propaganda. The only purpose of this episode was to get the audience to despise conservatives.

I get the feeling it was more politicians as a whole, rather than just the conservatives. Election years make it so easy.