Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official discussion thread: "Divining Rod" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]May 2, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "Divining Rod" in this thread. This episode was written by Bruce Zimmerman and directed by Doug Aarniokoski.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Finnegan77

[2]May 2, 2012
    • level: 27
    Wow - I actually liked this ep! Thought the developing profile was great, the unsub yucky but believable, and the team banter positively fantastic! Reid was being Reid the whole time, putting in those little tidbits that are mostly useless to everyone. (Loved Hotch's little nudge at him on the plane.)

I will admit, the beginning had me thinking I was seeing a rerun. The Angelmaker episode also began with a serial killer's execution, him blabbing about coming back, yadda yadda, victims families watching, and a copycat carrying out matching crimes. I do think this ep would have been better if it wasn't quite as similar.

But, especially based on the low level of eps this season, this ep hit all the right buttons for me. Every character on the team actually had a role, too. Yippee!

PhilippeLarue

[3]May 3, 2012
    • level: 2

Divining Rod, Sponsored by duct tape.

alj69

[4]May 3, 2012
    • level: 3

PhilippeLarue wrote:

I think Criminal Minds keeps the makers of duct tape in business.

blackmage8472

[5]May 3, 2012
    • level: 15

alj69 wrote:

PhilippeLarue wrote:

I think Criminal Minds keeps the makers of duct tape in business.

Are you kidding? Duct Tape + Paperclips = The Force.

As for the episode: It definitely felt like one of the older back to basics types of episodes... though at thebeginningit certainly did seem like a repeat of the Angel Maker episode. Overall I liked it, I tend to like the episodes where we only really meet the unsub at the end. Also the ending... I know it was a little creepy but did anyone else kinda like that she manufactured herself a purpose out of all her tragedy?

lynna12000

[6]May 3, 2012
    • level: 21
    The ending was particularly creepy. But her reaction, in the end, was more than likely shaped by her lack of emotional support from family and quite possibly by after-effects of her brain tumour. But still creepy.

It was nice to see profiling happening. The only thing that REALLY bothered me was when Reid and JJ were taking a look at the scene with the dead body there after they first got to town. While I did appreciate that they were wearing gloves, JJ in particular, should have covered her hair. Then again, I have watched way too many crime scene documentaries.

JessieMarie2

[7]May 3, 2012
    • level: 3

I thought the ep was pretty good not One of the best this season to me but wasent bad either anyways I live Reid so it was nice to see him being himself

Now a question I just read a ep discription for the 2 part season finally who do u think will be held hostage, who is getting married and who would u like to see all this happen to this is what I'm thinking!

Held hostage: Emily or jj??

Who I would like to see held hostage : REID!

Married: Garcia!

Also I think Emily is leaving because she knows there are more things to life than all of the horrible things they see every day and she has had a lot of close calls.

Please answer my questions wanna know what you think!

nutmeg0963

[8]May 4, 2012
    • level: 2

I think Emily's either retiring or switching to a more low-key job that allows for a more stable home life (betting more money on the latter.)

I'm also betting money that JJ's the one who will be getting hitched. Garcia and Kevin are probably still together though.

Given the pictures that have been released, I'm thinking it's safe to say Will (or, as I still call him to this day, Captain Crawfish) is one of the hostages. I hope that's not who they're counting when they say a BAU member gets snatched.

Personally, because he is my pet character, I'd love to see Reid get a substantial role in the finale, whether it's hostage or behind the scenes. For whoever is the "lucky winner" on the hostage front, it's not like that equates with helpless damsel-in-distress. Anytime any one of them's been in a jam, they've maneuvered and worked from the inside to pull themselves out of it.

As for this episode, I liked it fine enough. It did have more of an old-school feel. Only thing I found a little odd about that was Reid's characterization felt more like season-one Reid than later-seasons Reid, which was fun but seemed a little like a regression, haha.

danharr

[9]May 6, 2012
    • level: 45

Nice for once no lights and sirens to get a barricade suspect I always hate when they don't do that in other episodes. Great ending she's nuts as well and the female half of serial killer couple even if it's just emotionally and mentally.