Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official discussion thread: "Foundation" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "Foundation" in this thread. This episode was written by Jim Clemente and directed by Dermott Downs.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

phf3947

[2]Mar 20, 2012
    Jim won't be able to answer questions in the forum this time around, but he will be available at the CM Set Report for a Q&A chat on Thursday at 6:00 PM PDT. I'll post a link to the chat afterwards for those who weren't able to attend

Finnegan77

[3]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 27
    Awww, we miss Writer!Jim! But, I'm just so happy that we'll be seeing his writing come to life tonight. Finally!! Real profiling, intelligent dialogue, and characters we might recognize from previous seasons. Hoo-ray!!
    Edited on 03/21/2012 2:42pm

Finnegan77

[4]Mar 22, 2012
    THIS!!! This is Criminal Minds!! Please excuse my complete over-use of exclamation points, but I am so thrilled to find myself watching the real Criminal Minds for the first time in so, soooo long tonight. I've put it all in my review, so won't repeat myself, but Jim Clemente's experience and writing know-how has expressed itself in the best CM ep ever. All the other so-called writers need to watch this ep over and over again to learn how to do it right.

WriterJim? Beautifully done.

nutmeg0963

[5]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 2

I've been re-watching many of the old episodes lately (working my way back through season 3 now), and while I still love the show (namely because after 7 years I feel personally attached to the characters at this stage), it wasn't clear to me how MUCH of a difference there had been in quality the last couple of seasons until the boxed sets began reminding me again. Still a great show? Yes. But was it once superb? Yeah...and I'm still holding out hope that it will find its way back there again soon.

Last night's episode made that flame of hope burn much brighter. Absolutely loved it...bravo, bravo.

nutmeg0963

[6]Mar 22, 2012

So far "Foundation" and "True Genius" have been my personal favorites for Season 7 and what I feel are the episodes that managed to include real profiling AND actually get our characters 'right' in the personality depictions and bonding department.

CMJunkie

[7]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 8
    This is the first episode I have watched in 2012. Seriously. I started watching online the one about gambling and I just gave up. I am SOOO glad PHF posted a reminder about Jim Clemente's episode!! I LOVE his episodes because... I don't know, they have like profiling and crazy stuff in them Excellent, 5 stars, on a scale of 1-10 easily an 11.

angeland8

[8]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 10
    Great episode! Finally a good episode of Criminal minds. Not ridiculous creation, but a solid drama, profiling, dialogs and characters! And just a perfect amount of personal details of the agents, lately there were too many personal stories that were useless and boring as hell.

lrigD

[9]Mar 22, 2012
    i haven't been to this site in a looong time, but after watching Foundation I just want to share my opinion. I apologize in advance for my rambling, but...

How perfect was this episode?!

I guess I have not really noticed the downward slope in storylines that is described here, but I did think this was a very, very good episode. And come to think of it, it does lack the somewhat random endings and inconsequential dialogues that have been on CM lately. It's not that I minded those, per se, because I still enjoy the show (like somebody said earlier - by now, I'm emotionally attached to the characters) and I certainly like seeing the lighter side every once in a while - but I hadn't realized how I much I missed this. This episode had pretty much everything. The case was haunting one more than one level. Angel's years of abuse (and can I just say that that boy acted really, really well?!), but also the daughter and her father. Having known that something is not quite right for years, but repressing it subconsciously... who knows what lies buried in our own minds? And I don't think Angel even needs words. I think what struck me most, though, was Morgan. I hadn't given much thought to the parallel this case presented with his own past -no thought at all, actually- until he mentioned Carl Buford (I'd missed the first personal reference he made). The scene where he went after the unsub and hit him was very powerful, even in its simplicity. The final scene between JJ and Morgan... even more so. No overly emotional talk, even though in this case, it might've been justified. The fact that these two, whom from what we've seen don't have a particularly close friendship (or am I forgetting something), can have such a conversation... well, it warms my heart, I guess.

The only -only- downside to the episode was, in my opinion, the fact that we didn't get to see a goodbye between Morgan and Angel. I think it could've been very well executed here, although in other episodes I'd made feel it'd be overly cliche. Still, there were so many other good aspects, this is still easily one of my favourite episodes already.

phf3947

[10]Mar 23, 2012
    Here's the transcript of Jim's Q&A yesterday: CM_SetReport Chat with Jim Clemente - 3-22-12

CMJunkie

[11]Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks, PHF! That was great! I really respect Jim Clemente on so many levels... his personal battles he has shared, his service in the FBI and his efforts with CM. I really wish there was some way for him to just be the main writer for CM

scooterstarr

[12]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 12
    Loved this one! This is the CM I miss. Great profiling, we were actually kept guessing who the unsub was and didn't know who it was from the start, and someone remembered what a backstory is! And way back from season 2 as well. Way to go Jim Clemente!

amaryllis88

[13]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 20

I want to make sure I reply before I read anybody's comments. Now this is how an episode of CM should be!!! All other episodes in this season need to look up to this one, and try to mimic it as much as possible.

The pace was great, the characters were great, everything was wonderfully great. It left things to the imagination---like for instance, did the UnSub build a house over every boy he buried? Pretty cool in the story sense, but not pretty cool in real life. We didn't need an over-explanation of things---the angel wings in the hide-out, probably drawn by Angel? I dunno, but pretty cool, it left the audience wondering where they came from, and who drew them, and what they signified.

Morgan re-living something from his past, another great call-back to an earlier season/episode, just absolutely loved it! I didn't mind seeing the UnSub before he was caught, it was sort of built up to the whole thing, little by little, so it wasn't a dramatic killer knowing what he looked like, wow, I'm quite impressed. Can Jim do all episodes of CM, or would that mean we'd get spoiled????

I'm in awe of this episode, and I see that so many others share my extreme happiness for this episode as well!

WriterJim: You totally rock!!! Cool

Edited on 03/23/2012 8:22pm

phf3947

[14]Mar 24, 2012
    CMJunkie wrote:
    Thanks, PHF! That was great! I really respect Jim Clemente on so many levels... his personal battles he has shared, his service in the FBI and his efforts with CM. I really wish there was some way for him to just be the main writer for CM

You're welcome. I'm just glad that his story is being revealed to the fans. "Profiler, Profiler" was loosely based on Jim's history of abuse. Not a big secret - he's been on Oprah about it - and it's all part of his healing process. The line in "Foundation" that really hit home for me was when Morgan told JJ: "I'm here right now because of what that man did to me." I started tearing up when I heard that because it's so true. Jim was a lawyer/prosecutor (Hotch's backstory) when years later he ran into the SOB who abused him, and worked with the FBI in a sting to catch him and bring him to justice somewhat like Morgan did when he took down Carl Buford. That's when the FBI asked him to become an agent. It's a story that needs to be told.

Edit to add that the challenge coin that Morgan gave to Angel is Jim's coin, and he carries it in his pocket everyday.
    Edited on 03/24/2012 5:28am

Finnegan77

[15]Mar 24, 2012
    phf3947 wrote:
    Edit to add that the challenge coin that Morgan gave to Angel is Jim's coin, and he carries it in his pocket everyday.
    And now I'm crying. Jim is a true hero. And stories like this one, that actually do justice to what profilers do and have been through is how they should be honored.

phf3947

[16]Mar 24, 2012
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    And now I'm crying. Jim is a true hero. And stories like this one, that actually do justice to what profilers do and have been through is how they should be honored.

*sniff* Now you set me off again. He truly is a hero in every sense of the word.

Another thing I liked about this episode was Paget and AJ didn't look as though their make-up was spackled on with a putty knife. In the scene where Prentiss was driving the SUV, she looked so lovely...ethereal even. And they weren't tarted up like they were going out clubbing later that night either. They were dressed like professional FBI agents. Garcia was actually doing her job and not pulling rabbits out of hats to solve the case by magic. Hope we see more of that in future episodes.

Kudos should also go to the director, Dermott Downs. This was his first for the show, and he took a beautiful script and gave us the total package.

bluemystique

[17]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 4

That was probably the best episode of the season so far and arguably one of the best episodes of the series. Captivating episode from beginning to end. There was nothing to critique...it was quality televison. I loved that it tied in so beautifully with Profiler, Profiled. I love the focus on a underused and misused character like Morgan, and for once they pulled off focusing on him w/o painting him in a negative light. As a Morgan fan I sometimes get annoyed with how they try to make him come across or the others' reaction to him. It was just a spetacular episode from beginning to end. Captivating and emmy worthy for all involved. Special kudos to the young man who played Angel. I just...wow. Loved it.

danharr

[19]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 45

Good episode really felt like the first 3 seasons of the show but what else would you expect from Jim. Nice job bringing Morgans abuse back up and the way he worked with the kid was great. Oh last but not least some actual profiling in the episode real fun.

WriterJim

[20]Mar 28, 2012

Hello Everyone,

Writer Jim here. I have been kind of overwhelmed with time commitments lately but wanted to take the time to personally thank all of you for your loyalty to the show and your more than generous comments. It is a real honor to be the Technical Advisor and to be able to write for Criminal Minds from time to time. I enjoy the challenge and the process. And, the best is seeing an amazing family of Actors, Producers, and Crew bringing the words to life. There are no words, however, to express how wonderful it feels to read that you got the messages and the emotion that we were all trying to convey in Foundation. It is truly about the ramifications to victims and their families as the BAU's priority, and it keeps the UnSub in the background where I keep them in my mind. Though the whole story is basically an amalgamation of several cases that I and my colleagues worked over the course of my career as an FBI Profiler, the Morgan/Angel of it is based on my own life experience. Being able to share the fact that past victimization doesn't mean life is over, and can actually be a motivating factor in choosing a profession dedicated to helping others, is what it's all about. I was particularly pleased with how Shemar and AJ were able to accurately portray the importance compassion and selflessness play in Profiling. And the guest cast was truly amazing! Especially, young Jonathan who portrayed Angel with such perfection. He is a fine actor and will definitely go very far.

One last thing... Every episode of Criminal Minds is written from the writer'smind,heart and soul. And the final production is a creative collaboration of the writer's room, the Studio and Network Executives, the Director, the Producers, the entire Crew, and Cast. I am honored to work with a team of extremely talented and experienced writers. To me, they all add different flavoring to the ongoing drama that is Criminal Minds.

Thanks Again!

Writer Jim

PS: Among the Projects I have been working on are three reality pilots: "Profilers" "i-Witness" and "Killer Profile." I'll keep you posted on the development process.

Edited on 03/28/2012 8:26am