Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "Hit" and "Run" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]May 14, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss the two-part season finale in this thread. "Hit" was written by Rick Dunkle and directed by Michael Lange. "Run" was written by Erica Messer and directed by Glenn Kershaw. Thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackmage8472

[2]May 17, 2012
    • level: 15

I won't pretend to know anything about police procedure beyond what I've seen on tv, but I'd think that once the hostage takers make it clear they're ready to execute hostages and police officers in the bank that the FBI might be more inclined to instantly go into the bank.

Other than that, pretty good finale. I like how they ended things with Prentiss and hopefully we do see her comeback in some joint BAU Interpol case.

Also the fight scene between JJ and Tricia Helfer: Awesome. Just awesome.

pamhalpert

[3]May 17, 2012
    • level: 14

Where the hell is everyone?? I checked this board wednesday night til 4AM; and nobody posted anything about a season finale? Am I the only one who was sort of hoping that Morgan and Prentiss would of least kissed at the wedding??

Finnegan77

[4]May 17, 2012
    • level: 27
    I thought the dialogue about 'where the heck is the CRT since this is sooooo not the BAU's job' was the most intelligent line in the entire two-parter. An utterly ridiculous premise, an overcomplicated plot that no one was likely to be able to follow, leaps of illogic, a 'team member in jeopardy' who isn't really a team member, gratuitious explosions for no apparent reason - add it all together and you've got a CM finale. Yawn. NOTHING about this was very exciting.

Oh, and did I forget an Interpol 'connection' that was pasted on to explain Prentiss' big decision?

On the other hand - I did like Garcia and Reid as Doctor Who - hilarious that Kevin and his new squeeze ended up in the basic costumes. Tee-hee and at least we got to see Reid for a nano-second. And I loved the wedding. I'm a sucker for weddings - when it isn't between team members. Very nice, very lovely - real emotion- joy and sadness.

And what the heck - did we really need so much Strauss???

lynna12000

[5]May 17, 2012
    • level: 21
    I wasn't expecting much profiling in this episode. Nor was I expecting quite so much Strauss (that apology to Morgan at the end-WAY OOC).

What I got wasn't what I expected: a very gracious exit for Prentiss. I liked the way that she got to say goodbye to each of her teammates. The fact that we didn't actually hear what was said was a nice touch.

angeland8

[6]May 17, 2012
    • level: 10
    Why, why does Prentiss have to leave again This is so sad.

And I gotta say I was afraid they would kill Will off. Like they do in other shows. Thank God, it didn't happen.

Karigan1983

[7]May 18, 2012
    • level: 1
    what was with the matrix style ass-kicking J.J gave to Tricia Helfer? I kind of expected her to just laugh like Six did when Starbuck tried to take her down.

nutmeg0963

[8]May 18, 2012
    • level: 2

I kind of wish I'd known ahead of time that I could watch the first few minutes and last few minutes, then nap through the rest. The things that made this for me were the beginning scenes with their respective families and the wedding itself.The main reason I'm still hanging onto hope (albeit complaining a decent part of the time) is because I'm emotionally attached to the characters and rather enjoy the family relationship they have with each other.

Personal pet peeve (at least for season 7): Reid dressing up as Dr. Who, getting to show off a magic trick to Henry, and grabbing Prentiss for a dance / blowing her a kiss was the only thing that kept me from throwing a shoe at my TV by the end. I was really hoping he'd have somewhat of a substantial role, which does NOT mean hostage. That would've been potentially fun, but I miss the Reid that had more of a field presence and was actively involved in the case work. If it wasn't for Dr. Who and a disappearing coin, I think it'd be pretty hard to remember he was even there. I'm not saying the problem was that it wasn't Reid-centric. I'm saying it bothered me even more because I feel like we've been witnessing the incredible shrinking Reid role for awhile now, so my hopes got deflated.

Okay, done with that squawk. As for the Prentiss exit - I thought it was very sweet, thoughtful, and fitting for her. Extremely graceful and well-done, so if they had to get one thing perfectly accomplished for this finale, I'm glad it was giving her a beautifully appropriate "swan song."

The bank heist and hostage situation themselves were alright but not super memorable to me. The actress playing Izzy is talented and did great for the most part, but there were several times the overracting got on my nerves. By the by - this is only my opinion, but I do NOT think Will counts when they advertise "one of their own" or one of the team being taken hostage, however they phrased it. Being JJ's significant other doesn't make him part of the BAU, but whatever. Anyway, I will give Josh Stewart credit - he finally proved that he actually does have some acting range.

I didn't expect a great deal of profiling (the promo screamed "flashy" and "action-y" to me), but the plot was predictable. My husband and I guessed most of how it would play out early on, including Henry getting involved so JJ'd get to prove yet again what a badass she is as soon as they carted Will out of the bank.

Sayonara Season 7. It was a rocky road, and there are a few patterns that are worrying me. That being said, I look forward to another fresh start with Season 8. I'm crossing my fingers that they opt not to immediately replace Prentiss. Truth be told, I'd prefer that they focus on the remaining main characters rather than introduce another new guy, but if they take the latter route, I hope they give us all some time to move on and adjust. I'll miss Emily very much, but I love that her exit allows for guest appearance opportunities, as well as the chance that I can imagine she's still part of the family outside of the office.

Edited on 05/18/2012 2:15pm

blueoysterdvp

[9]May 19, 2012
    • level: 4

JJ wasn't married til this episode? I must have missed something in between the mediocre episodes. Modern but not very professional since they were supposed to be in so much love. JJ and Will get Henry a haircut,he really does look like a girl. "As It Seems" by Lily Kershaw was a great song at the Wedding reception, the best part of this episode.

"Dorado Falls" was the only truly suspenseful complete episode for me this Season. The flashbacks in "Profiling 101" were so corny I had to laugh. "Drama TV Series 101",don't use flashbacks unless they were in the show to begin with. Hotch looked the same in every flashback.

Overkill on the acting by Izzy and company. Like blackmage8472 said, once they were ready to execute hostages and then started to you would think they would've gone into the bank immediately. Two hour Episode(s) so I suppose that was out.

Don't see CM getting any better. Pretty sad. Seasons 1-5 were outstanding. Season 6 and 7 had there moments but very few in 6 and less in 7.

Man I really miss George Foyet "The Reaper"!

lrigD

[10]May 20, 2012
    • level: 8
    It seems that this episode wasn't a favourite for many people... I must say I am a bit surprised, I personally enjoyed the episode (or episodes, since it was a two-parter) very much and I was on the edge of my chair for quite some time. Some things were a little predictable, I agree. The Downs character (Izzy's partner) was shady from the beginning, and Will not being killed was quite predictable too. Involving Henry, though, was a little out there. What did Izzy have to gain from taking Henry? There was no real reason given (or I missed it), and she must've known that it'd make her more vulnerable, being on unfamiliar territory etc. I loved the beginning. It was really good to see what everybody does on their time off, to see a part of them that isn't connected to unsubs. I enjoyed it very much. Some of these scenes that we've seen before, where we see the team members in a non-professional environment, have seemed a little, but this episode just pulled it off. And that brings me to the other highlight (for me) - the ending. I thought for a moment that Emily would leave again without explaining, like she did last time (with the walking away while everybody was watching the news), but she didn't. We can only guess what was said while she danced with everybody, but I am glad she at least has time to say goodbye and to explain. Thankfully, for once, a team member's exit ISN'T because of 'the past catching up with them' or anything cliche like that - it is real, realistic, and well-portrayed. I will miss her, though. I also appreciated how the Emily-story didn't really conflict with the JJ/Will-story. It was there, on the background, but not annoyingly so. And the wedding was lovely! Although I do wonder (with any series - not just CM) how come that during these official things like weddings, funerals etc., there is nobody there but the close co-workers. Don't these people have friends outside of work? Kind of a minor annoyance for me!

One question I do have: was it implied that Rossi and Strauss are together? It didn't come forward very clearly to me...

Finnegan77

[11]May 20, 2012
    • level: 27
    I guess it was the combination of extreme predictability plus a nonsensical "case" that did it for me.

Predictable: a 'team member' who is not a team member in jeopardy which they survive
    an explosion for no good reason
    Strauss makes things worse
    a member's child in danger to ramp up the angst (remember Jack?)

Nonsensical:
    That the BAU would be called into a bank robbery. Just because Hotch/Rossi insist they are serial killers doesn't mean anyone believes it.
    That, as soon as the "robbers" started killing people, the guys with the SWAT gear and big guns didn't get the go ahead to take them out.
    And, my favorite: The Izzy and her beau "logic." Rob banks and kill people to get enough money to blow up a train station. But we'll need a police officer hostage to get past the roadblock at the train station. So we'll make sure to kill his partner. And kill a bunch of hostages. Then we'll get him as a hostage. And then we'll 'kidnap' his kid (that we didn't know he had) to make sure he cooperates. But, of course, we wouldn't have needed a police hostage to get us through a roadblock if there wasn't a bank robbery with hostage shooting in the first place. Sooooooo, why didn't they just set the darned bomb in the train station in the first place???

Sigh.

danharr

[12]May 21, 2012
    • level: 45

It was weak like you guys said case way over the top. Perhaps over compensating trying to make a great season finale, Stauss back now of all times, Prentiss leaving the tried and true wtf will cover that one, and Penelope yeah you broke up with him he's doing stuff with someone else par for the course. It was all lame I really would've like to hear about grand pa though I suspect it was just some child molestation stuff but really wanted more insight into what made her a monster.

CMJunkie

[13]May 21, 2012
    • level: 8
    danharr wrote:

. It was all lame I really would've like to hear about grand pa though I suspect it was just some child molestation stuff but really wanted more insight into what made her a monster.

i am going to assume you didn't mean to say "just some child molestation stuff"

danharr

[14]May 21, 2012
    • level: 45

CMJunkie wrote:
    danharr wrote:

. It was all lame I really would've like to hear about grand pa though I suspect it was just some child molestation stuff but really wanted more insight into what made her a monster.

i am going to assume you didn't mean to say "just some child molestation stuff"

No not in that context as in old hat things we've seen before on the show.

Edited on 05/21/2012 7:54pm

grissomsidle

[15]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 17
    nutmeg0963 wrote:

I kind of wish I'd known ahead of time that I could watch the first few minutes and last few minutes, then nap through the rest. The things that made this for me were the beginning scenes with their respective families and the wedding itself.The main reason I'm still hanging onto hope (albeit complaining a decent part of the time) is because I'm emotionally attached to the characters and rather enjoy the family relationship they have with each other.

Personal pet peeve (at least for season 7): Reid dressing up as Dr. Who, getting to show off a magic trick to Henry, and grabbing Prentiss for a dance / blowing her a kiss was the only thing that kept me from throwing a shoe at my TV by the end. I was really hoping he'd have somewhat of a substantial role, which does NOT mean hostage. That would've been potentially fun, but I miss the Reid that had more of a field presence and was actively involved in the case work. If it wasn't for Dr. Who and a disappearing coin, I think it'd be pretty hard to remember he was even there. I'm not saying the problem was that it wasn't Reid-centric. I'm saying it bothered me even more because I feel like we've been witnessing the incredible shrinking Reid role for awhile now, so my hopes got deflated.

Okay, done with that squawk. As for the Prentiss exit - I thought it was very sweet, thoughtful, and fitting for her. Extremely graceful and well-done, so if they had to get one thing perfectly accomplished for this finale, I'm glad it was giving her a beautifully appropriate "swan song."

The bank heist and hostage situation themselves were alright but not super memorable to me. The actress playing Izzy is talented and did great for the most part, but there were several times the overracting got on my nerves. By the by - this is only my opinion, but I do NOT think Will counts when they advertise "one of their own" or one of the team being taken hostage, however they phrased it. Being JJ's significant other doesn't make him part of the BAU, but whatever. Anyway, I will give Josh Stewart credit - he finally proved that he actually does have some acting range.

I didn't expect a great deal of profiling (the promo screamed "flashy" and "action-y" to me), but the plot was predictable. My husband and I guessed most of how it would play out early on, including Henry getting involved so JJ'd get to prove yet again what a badass she is as soon as they carted Will out of the bank.

Sayonara Season 7. It was a rocky road, and there are a few patterns that are worrying me. That being said, I look forward to another fresh start with Season 8. I'm crossing my fingers that they opt not to immediately replace Prentiss. Truth be told, I'd prefer that they focus on the remaining main characters rather than introduce another new guy, but if they take the latter route, I hope they give us all some time to move on and adjust. I'll miss Emily very much, but I love that her exit allows for guest appearance opportunities, as well as the chance that I can imagine she's still part of the family outside of the office.

Yes, yes, yes on the absence of Reid. That is all.