Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official discussion thread: "Profiling 101" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]May 9, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "Profiling 101" in this thread. This episode was written by Virgil Williams and directed by Felix Alcala.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackmage8472

[2]May 10, 2012
    • level: 15

I had forgotten how awful Reid looked with long hair.

TylerA46

[3]May 10, 2012
    • level: 11

blackmage8472 wrote:

I had forgotten how awful Reid looked with long hair.

Not as bad as Rossi with the wig and fake beard.

nutmeg0963

[4]May 10, 2012
    • level: 2

Hahaha! In all fairness to Reid/Gubler, they did stick a fake mullet on him. Wasn't his look in season 4, but either that was the best they could swing with hair extensions or someone behind the scenes had a sense of humor.

That being said, I'm beginning to think Reid and Garcia are actually in silent competition with each other to see who can come up with the biggest variety of hairstyles over the years.

Finnegan77

[5]May 10, 2012
    • level: 27
    Hair and beards aside, I thought this episode was breathtakingly refreshing and an excellent reminder to both fans and show runners of what this show is about. Profiling 101 indeed. Back to basics for everyone. A kick in the pants to remind us all that profilers are all about catching the bad guys, not elevating them to be the stars of the show. This was a wonderful blast from the past; smart, in-character, logical. The unsub was not even shown full-face until the very end. The way this show has focused on the monsters this year has made the show more about the evil men do than about the dedicated, brilliant, driven people who catch them.

Loved Rossi's character development through this, the little shout-outs to the past, the way we're taught - again - that profiling is sometimes a long-long-term process and isn't neatly tied up in bows in 42 minutes with a gunshot. And that these cases dig deep into the profilers' psyches and wound them for years.

I can ignore any amount of wigs and hair dye for an episode this good. Loved our team being team, each one with a voice, Reid and Garcia both saying 'thank you' for the genius comment. This is characterization that works. These are simple moments of interaction that aren't stilted and plugged in at the last minute.

Beautiful reveal at the end that this is the way that Rossi gets to 'celebrate' his birthday every single year of his life. Ouch. And wow.

Let's have every member of writing staff watch this one at least once a month so they can remember what profilers do and who these characters are. And can continue to focus on the puzzles, the work our heroes do, and not the ugliness of the people they catch.

amaryllis88

[6]May 10, 2012
    • level: 20

Finnegan77 wrote:
    Let's have every member of writing staff watch this one at least once a month so they can remember what profilers do and who these characters are. And can continue to focus on the puzzles, the work our heroes do, and not the ugliness of the people they catch.

This is definitely what I'm thinking !!!! Wow, what an episode! I wish every episode writer from this season and the previous couple of seasons can watch this, and learn that this is a "how to" write an exceptional episode.

Everything was amazing, I was in awe from this episode. It was all perfect. The setting at the school, the students didn't come off as too corny or staged, the questions were good, the characters were fantastic. I can't go on enough about how pleasantly surprised I am of how this episode turned out. This should be renamed to "Criminal Minds 101," it was that good. Sealed

Tragic that the killer chose Rossi's bday to "celebrate" in the way that he did. And Reid's mullet, yeah, hopefully they don't ever go that route again, it looked horrendous on him.

Finnegan77

[7]May 11, 2012
    • level: 27
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    This should be renamed to "Criminal Minds 101," it was that good.
    YESSS! Why wasn't this ep rolled out at the beginning of this season? During the angst from Prentiss' return, wouldn't this have been a much better way to draw the team back together and remind us all of their roles/strengths/reasons for being a team than that stupid dinner party?

phf3947

[8]May 11, 2012
    • level: 71
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    During the angst from Prentiss' return, wouldn't this have been a much better way to draw the team back together and remind us all of their roles/strengths/reasons for being a team than that stupid dinner party?

Finn, I was compelled by what you and Amaryllis said, so I watched it this morning. What can I say? Agree with you both on all points. Joe is truly an amazing actor and Felix is one of the best directors in Hollywood today. I kept thinking this was Jim Clemente's career in the FBI they were telling us. Betcha he was standing behind Virgil's shoulder as he was writing the script

With the ratings going down this season, I ditto your question about why this episode couldn't have been shown during November or February sweeps rather than in May. Maybe those viewers who had stopped watching would've been tuning in all this time.

CMJunkie

[9]May 12, 2012
    • level: 8
    The only episode I watched and remember is "Foundation". I think I watched another one,.... But I will look this one up and watch online - I have hope!

danharr

[11]May 14, 2012
    • level: 45

Great episode actual profiling and more on Rossi's past and loved the ending. Serial killers want power this one has the power to ruin Rossi's birthday good job CM.

Plonked

[12]May 21, 2012
    • level: 16

I had stopped watching this show because its almost the same ending, the suspect gets killed in the end. But I had to watch this one as it caught my eye.

This episode is the reason why I started watching it in the first place, it was great. It was a thinker and it was great at explaining how the serial killer works. Its a shame that such a great show is going down the drain like it is. Why cant there be more episodes like this. IMO