Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "The Company" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "The Company" in this thread. This episode was written by Breen Frazier and directed by Nelson McCormick.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Finnegan77

[2]Apr 11, 2012
    • level: 27
    You've got to be kidding me. This is like very bad fan-fiction, BDSM gone bad. Honestly? This is about the lowest you can get. I'm wondering if the cast even recognizes how ridiculous this show has become. Turning it off at the half hour.

blackmage8472

[3]Apr 11, 2012
    • level: 15

Finnegan77, this is more a reply to your review of the episode... that wasn't my dream at age fifteen. My dreams were simply having a girlfriend and being able to throw a wicked curveball both literally and figuratively.

Though I do agree this episode was pretty bad. It was basically shock value for the sake of shock value followed by an uplifting hollywood style ending. While this season has had a couple of nasty unsubs, mostly it's been a pretty unremarkable season. At least this episode wasn't as bad as the unsub politician who had a pet serial killer.

Will_of_the_D

[4]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 14
    Bad fanfiction? lol Because the unsub did disgusting things? Really? And shock value? Over what? This was one of the least shocking episodes in a while.

The episode was bad because the unsub was a sicko! Darn it, why can't we have nice unsubs again who don't do bad things, like Frank?

PetraSchulz

[5]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 3

I think it resembles the case of Colleen Stan who was kidnapped in 1977.

phf3947

[6]Apr 12, 2012
    PetraSchulz wrote:

Resembles? This basically was that case, to wit: Kidnapping of Colleen Stan. However, Cindi was so brainwashed that she introduced her son to Morgan as "Uncle Derek." If Cindi is Morgan's first cousin, wouldn't Derek be Anthony's second cousin?

Finnegan77

[7]Apr 12, 2012
    phf3947 wrote:
    PetraSchulz wrote:

Resembles? This basically was that case, to wit: Kidnapping of Colleen Stan. However, Cindi was so brainwashed that she introduced her son to Morgan as "Uncle Derek." If Cindi is Morgan's first cousin, wouldn't Derek be Anthony's second cousin?
    So brainwashed that she left a number of very telling clues. So brainwashed that she walked into the police station with a lawyer instead of leading the FBI to the cabin to free the children and yet, easily broke that brainwashing so many times during the ep. Ridiculous. Either she was in thrall or not. I think the ep would have been so much better if they'd actually given us an unsub we could believe (like Frank) instead of these milk-toasty guys who didn't have an ounce of 'power' between them.

To clarify - this ep is like a fifteen year old boy's version of the Colleen Stan case: what unwilling, unsafe, power games/BDSM is like. No depth, absolutely no horror, no possible comprehension of what it would take to brainwash these women and keep them under. No, I'm not asking for graphic, I'm asking for gripping; for intelligent plots that aren't half-butted from misunderstood cases.

phf3947

[8]Apr 12, 2012
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    I'm asking for gripping; for intelligent plots that aren't half-butted from misunderstood cases.

Gripping? You want... that? Come on, Finn. This is the episode with powers so magical that Garcia was transported from Quantico to Chicago (cue the transporter from Star Trek) so she could pat Morgan on the head and tell him he is a hero.

However, it was interesting that Cindi didn't choose to contact the FBI after she escaped from Malcolm and take them to the cabin to rescue her son, but rather contacted a perve attorney for her alleged husband so HE could provide The Big Reveal. That might've put some "grip" into it, but this is Season 7 after all

nutmeg0963

[9]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 2

Hmm, interesting. I missed it last night (ironically, I was on call at the psychiatric center, so I guess I got the live-action show in scrubs instead of the fake one sitting in my pjs).

I find it amusing that all the CM facebook comments are raving, singing this one's praises...then I get onto tv.com and the comments are crucifying it. Very pronounced dividing line, guess I'll eventually get around to making a judgment call myself.

phf3947

[11]Apr 12, 2012
    Nutmeg, your comment about Facebook comments made me laugh out loud. Since when has anyone on that site ever said anything negative, or even been allowed to say anything negative? Sometimes I think those people are watching a completely different show.

But this episode wasn't really that bad, and wasn't as bad as the one that Blackmage mentioned with the unsub politician with a serial killer pet. Due to Nelson McCormick's brilliant directing and Nina Gilberti's excellent editing, the first five minutes were quite good. The basic story about Morgan's cousin being found after being missing for many years was a good concept, which was a conclusion of Jim Clemente's episode last season ("Big Sea"). The problem was in poor execution, technical inconsistencies, the general ICK factor of the unsub, all of which combined made the episode subpar. I hadn't planned on even watching, but did anyway, and lived to regret it because it gave me nightmares. And that never happens. So let us know what you thought after you've seen it.

Anyone with positive feedback would be welcome here in the forum. This was the last new episode for quite awhile - "Divining Rod" won't be aired until May 2nd.

lynna12000

[12]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 21
    phf3947 wrote:
    PetraSchulz wrote:

Given the age difference between the 2 cousins, it isn't unusual for the younger to call the elder one 'Uncle'. At least that's how it is in my family.

klgrndw

[13]Apr 13, 2012

So this place has turned into a bunch of haters. I really liked the episode. Pretty sure the unsub was supposed to have an ick factor - it was icky. Loved the ending with the song Be Still by The Fray. And I love any interaction between Morgan and Garcia.

MitkoBG

[14]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 4

Actually in my country he will count as uncle: it's tree-like relation - acousin is someone at your generation level. Since Derek is Cindi's cousin he is at her generation level, while Anthony is +1 (being the son of Cindi). Morgan'skids are going to be Anthony's 2nd cousins.

A 1st cousin is the child of the brother/syster of your parrents.

A 2nd cousin is the child of a 1st cousin of your parrents.

A 3rd cousin is the child of a 2nd cousin of your parrents and so on.

Uncle/Aunt is a brother/syster/cousin of your parrents.

(everything above counts only for slavic relationships .. which get a little more complicated because there are a couple of types of uncles/aunts depending on the gender relation)

Finnegan77

[15]Apr 13, 2012
    phf3947 wrote:
    Nutmeg, your comment about Facebook comments made me laugh out loud. Since when has anyone on that site ever said anything negative, or even been allowed to say anything negative? Sometimes I think those people are watching a completely different show.

But this episode wasn't really that bad, and wasn't as bad as the one that Blackmage mentioned with the unsub politician with a serial killer pet. Due to Nelson McCormick's brilliant directing and Nina Gilberti's excellent editing, the first five minutes were quite good.
    Not apologizing for my criticism, but I admit I pulled the trigger on this ep much sooner than I would have a year ago. I guess, after Jim's fantastic ep, and the weird and yet stunningly well put together ep last week, this just brought the subpar-ness (??) of the writing out like a big ole slap in the face. Ouch. Who needs that? I guess I'm not willing to waste time on the bad ones anymore. "The first five minutes" were quite good - the last 37 were decidedly not.

Morgan angst-fests don't float my boat anymore, either. I loved his role in Jim's ep - actually doing his job so very, very well. Unfortunately, the character gets way too much screen time, and, for me, these personal stories about him don't carry an ep. Even worse, they relegate my fave characters to the background time after time.

nutmeg0963

[16]Apr 13, 2012

Finnegan - everything you said about Morgan's predominant screen time and how the other characters get subsequently relegated to the back burner mirrors exactly what I was feeling while watching.

Don't get me wrong - I like Morgan's character, and I think Shemar has fine acting chops. That being said for our resident hot-headed macho man, I'm ready for a slight breather from him. Yelling and punching/tackling people is his specialty. Voila. We got it.

I didn't think the episode deserved to be called "bad fanfiction," but I also didn't think it's "the best episode of CM I've ever seen OMG!!!" (summarizing the facebook parade). The beginning 5 min and final 5 min scenes were like beautiful bookends to a so-so middle filling. I kind of felt like his cousin's case dangerously teetered on the edge of falling into the melodramatic pool.

I got a decent kick out of Prentiss and JJ working together during the interrogation (probably my favorite scene). I also enjoyed watching Garcia put Morgan in his place, although I would also love a breather from the Morgan-Garcia love (come on people, I think it's gotten more than its fair share of showcasing this season.)

Last note: I like it when I get to see Hotch and Rossi do a little more than shepherding their flock/team members around (although Hotch did get to tango with an unsub last week, which was satisfying), and I'll be happy when Reid comes back from "vacation" (aka being shoved behind everyone else, allowed about 5 whatever-lines, and disappearing the rest of the time).

Oh well. I realized I'm biased towards certain things, my memory may not be totally clear on past episodes at the moment, and I'm sleep-deprived, but there's my humble opinion for now.

MoniqueGoings

[18]Apr 14, 2012
    okay so some one deleted my comment. Well that last. This show is dark but it been good through out every season. You all who are so disappoint stop watch CM does need your support anymore. It one of the top 10/20 for the past 7 season. So there.

mrivera

[19]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 10

Congrats to the writers for finally having an episode with a black perp, which is exceptionally rare for this show. Other than that, the show is just getting too predictable. You know that at the very last second, the team will show up to stop a murder in progress.

mksmash

[20]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 1

Wait. You mean they always stop a murder at the very last second? Thanks a lot. You just ruined all the future episodes for me.