Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "The Silencer" - Spoilers

layle1

[1]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please discuss "The Silencer" in this thread. This episode was written by Erica Messer and directed by Glenn Kershaw.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ilee1990

[2]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 10

I had a hard time focusing on what the new actress was saying. Her big dark circles under her eyes kept distracting me. Geez. I've never had that happen to me.

blackmage8472

[3]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 15

Overall, not a bad episode.Definitelygot back to the profiling basics that have gone overlooked at times. New character is interesting, her little back and forth with Reid will hopefully be something we see often. And of course thebeginningsof a potential season long "the team is being hunted" arc, looking forward to that.

danharr

[4]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 45

New team member is okay and the case was good but I really don't want another bad guy from new chicks background or a hunt the team arc again.

Lady_Lancaster

[5]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 41

This one wasn't too bad at all. It wasn't really what I would call Season Opener material, but overall, I enjoyed it and I thought that Jeanne Tripplehorn did a good job and will make a great addition to the team. I liked her interaction with Reid. If there is ever a way to get a new cast member accepted by 'CM' viewers, having them get along well with a person who seems to be just about everybody's favourite is a very sensible way to do it.

I look forward to episode 2. Smile

Finnegan77

[6]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 27
    Slightly confused. First, what the heck was Garcia talking about in regards to our new team member?? 24? A doctor? Sounds like Reid's intro to the team. She was talking so fast it all just flashed past me. Anywho - I actually liked that Garcia and Morgan had been working in the UK and visiting with Emily. Cute. And Garcia got to channel any fans who would take an instant dislike to the new character for no apparent reason, right?

Also confused as to why the entire team - including Hotch - seemed to be waiting for the new agent to explain things to them - almost deferring to her 'expertise.' The vibe was weird. Like she'd been standing the background waiting for Strauss to get her back into the BAU and now could be in charge again. She invites Derek to work with her and Reid?? I mean, he's like second in command, how does THAT work??

And why Straus?? Yes, I get it, she's working her steps, making amends, yadda, yadda, but to have a 'secret' associated with her and a new female team member is yawn yawn Emily all over again.

The case was okay, but, I will admit that I fell asleep and missed the "climax." The pictures at the end, the reveal that the team is being stalked. Is this a rerun? Or is this that uncaught unsub from last season? The one with the pictures of the girls in his darkroom?? Anybody???

Edit - Sorry, it was Season 6, "Out of the Light."
    Edited on 09/28/2012 12:08pm

amaryllis88

[7]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 20
    I was curious as to what others had to say about this episode. I see we're pretty much all in the same boat... lol I'm not sure how I feel about the new agent yet, all I saw was her bunchy hair, and her big, dark eyes. I'll have to give her several episodes before I make a final decision. Loved to see Garcia & Morgan visiting Emily, glad to hear she's not completely forgotten about, and hopefully they'll keep referencing her throughout the season, not just in the opener.

I felt sorry for the UnSub, sad way to see him go, but it was a nice surprise to see Alex signing to him at the end, oooh and the darkroom scene, I'm hoping it's much more different than stalking the team like in the Fisher King, it started with the creepy lighting and the photographs.

Not a great first opening episode, but I did miss my team.

poulters

[8]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 18

I am also not sure about the new agentshe has a strong personality and kept trying to take over everything, She kept acting as if she was in charge and only her opinion mattered.

Like the rest I will wait for next few episodes.

tonyandzivafan

[9]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 41
    I'm not loving the new agent at all. But I will try and keep and open mind. I did enjoy the episode though not its strongest when it comes to premieres.
    Finnegan77 wrote:

The case was okay, but, I will admit that I fell asleep and missed the "climax." The pictures at the end, the reveal that the team is being stalked. Is this a rerun? Or is this that uncaught unsub from last season? The one with the pictures of the girls in his darkroom?? Anybody???

Edit - Sorry, it was Season 6, "Out of the Light."

Thank you for saying what episode. I was thinking it could be that guy. And I was thinking what other cases or seemingly innocent or good characters that could be behind it.

For those that have watched do you believe the person behind the stalker-ish photos is someone from their past like the the creepy guy that took pics of girls? Someone from there past but it be a surprise (b/c they seemed nice)? Or someone close(r) to the team?

And side note in which I cant believe I am bringing up but anyone thinking that Rossi (Joe Mantegna) was looking good (or at least well rested)?

evilcleo

[11]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 2

Not the best season opener but the profiling and story were pretty good. Not the most interesting case they've had but it shows a marked improvement from last season's writing. The new agent is gonna take a while to get used to though. Her first impression wasn't great. I enjoyed her with Reid, sharing information and all but for a newcomer, she was awfully pushy and not that contributable although her sign language skills came in handy. And really, as annoying as Garcia got, I was happy someone wasn'thappy about the new team member. The othersaccepted her a little too easily.

I don't typically like Straus' presencebut she was more likable than previous seasons. It also shows that her alcohol problem is controlled and she's back as boss. It wasa goodfollow up on last season.Dunno what to think about her past with the new agent. I mean, it could be a good twist,but Blake, the supposed victim of a huge injustice,just stared at Straus and spoke in a montone voice like a machine. I don't think she even blinked.

lynna12000

[12]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 21
    I don't think we are supposed to like Alex from the start. The writers seem to be going the other direction. Which is a change from what has been done in the past. At least we are not getting a repeat of Seaver.

If the new character doesn't 'take' with the viewers' the writers have a chance to write her out. I'll give her a chance. At least she isn't a copy of the existing characters.

Finnegan77

[13]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 27
    lynna12000 wrote:
    I'll give her a chance. At least she isn't a copy of the existing characters.
    Isn't she? Seems like a female Jason Gideon to me. Ex-expert, gone from the BAU for a while, back now, arrogant, mysterious, superior, works best with Reid. For some reason everyone bows to her expertise. Oh, and there's tension with authority. And having her have some kind of dark background with Strauss is Emily Prentiss all over again.

lynna12000

[14]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 21
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    lynna12000 wrote:
    I'll give her a chance. At least she isn't a copy of the existing characters.
    Isn't she? Seems like a female Jason Gideon to me. Ex-expert, gone from the BAU for a while, back now, arrogant, mysterious, superior, works best with Reid. For some reason everyone bows to her expertise. Oh, and there's tension with authority. And having her have some kind of dark background with Strauss is Emily Prentiss all over again.

Considering how long Gideon has beenn gone, I'd hardly consider him to be an 'existing' character. Given her age AND experience it would be surprising if she DIDN'T have an issue authority.

The team is SUPPOSED to be made up of people who are the best in their field. People who have experience to back up their education. To be honest, even with his degrees, I don't think Spencer would have been on the team if it had not been bringing him onto the team. Which when you think of it, could have been argued as to have set precedent for Seaver.

The new character is NOT a carbon copy of the current characters. She isn't a clone of JJ, Prentiss, Strauss or Garcia. Her history with the FBI is long enough that she isn't unknown to the team; so why should they freeze her out?

I would have been insulted if they had made her the daughter/wife/ex-wife of a diplomat/ranking military officer who had spent her formative years moving from country to country. Given how long ago she joined the FBI, it would have been more surprising for her to NOT have any history with Strauss.