Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "The Thirteenth Step" - Spoilers

OverseasFan

[21]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 8

blue133 wrote:
    I think it has to do with the fact that traditionally rice has been thrown at the bride and groom as they make their exit out of the venue they got married in, although, I think rice has been banned from being thrown in many states because of the fact that many pigeons were choking to death on them. Yeah, don't know why I added that little fact, but I did

Thank God the writers didn't think about that little fact; they'd probably throw in some poor pidgeons into that fiasco like they did in last episode Thanks for the explanation.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blue133

[22]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 6

OverseasFan wrote:

blue133 wrote:
    I think it has to do with the fact that traditionally rice has been thrown at the bride and groom as they make their exit out of the venue they got married in, although, I think rice has been banned from being thrown in many states because of the fact that many pigeons were choking to death on them. Yeah, don't know why I added that little fact, but I did

Thank God the writers didn't think about that little fact; they'd probably throw in some poor pidgeons into that fiasco like they did in last episode Thanks for the explanation.

I am still in a state of shock that this is what CM has been reduced to. I thought Seaver was bad, which she is, but last night, wow.

OverseasFan

[23]Jan 27, 2011

blue133 wrote:
    I am still in a state of shock that this is what CM has been reduced to. I thought Seaver was bad, which she is, but last night, wow.

Agreed. I can't remember any episode of CM in which they had stooped so low as to using sexual distraction and overtly explicit violance to cover up for poor writing. Honestly, I read fanfiction written better than this.

I think that CM needs an episode in which the writers force the team into the conference room and have them profile each other and the team for an entire hour. Maybe our BAU profilers can figure out what's wrong with the show and fix it...

blue133

[24]Jan 27, 2011

Maybe that is not such a bad idea....

If this is what the show is looking like now, mid- season 6, I can't even fathom what it will look like season 7

Edited on 01/27/2011 9:18am

iHeartThisShow

[25]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 5

This episode was a hot mess and the sad part is it had so much potential.

I thought overall the storyline was great young couple, sex, alcohol, absuse, murder, modern day Bonnie and Clyde in a way. The writers could have done so much better. I feel as if this show is running on empty.

Is the way Paget is going out? Seriously? Escaped criminal on the run? ZzZzzzzZzzz.

"Am I in danger?" ... We all are when the real unsubs are the writers so far.

/rant

CMJunkie

[26]Jan 27, 2011
    I think everyone is missing the redeeming quality of this episode -

NO SEAVER!!!!

other than that, if I want to watch T&A sex scenes on TV, I'm an adult I'll rent it somewhere.

nutmeg0963

[27]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 2
    ...What's going on in the Criminal Minds universe? Did someone knock it off its axis? Is CBS starving the writers or whacking them over the head with shalalie sticks before they start brainstorming? I'm getting very nostalgic for earlier seasons, but I still have rays of hope that CM will emerge from its little "twilight zone"-esque abyss that it seems to be muddling in during season 6. This episode was better than Corazon in my opinion (and this is coming from a die-hard Reid fan who was sorely disappointed after last week), but it still isn't up to previous standards for many of the reasons people have already listed. In the meantime, Reid's "earth-shattering illness" has conveniently vanished (it didn't have to be in the limelight this time, but little hints or at least a single reminder of last week...like shades...would've held up some continuity). As for Prentiss, I'm placing bets that she either kicks the bucket or joins the Witness Protection Program. And yes...thank God our little JJ-look-alike, Agent Barbie / Nancy Drew hybrid went back to school.

blue133

[28]Jan 27, 2011

CMJunkie wrote:
    I think everyone is missing the redeeming quality of this episode - NO SEAVER!!!! other than that, if I want to watch T&A sex scenes on TV, I'm an adult I'll rent it somewhere.

That was this episodes only redeeming quality, NO SEAVER!!!!

Does anybody know how many episodes are left in this season?

I seriously, seriously try and give this show the benefit of the doubt every week, anticipating that this will be the week that CM climbs out of this writing stupor. But every week, I receive a crossing blow and I just don't know how many more blows I can keep on taking.

pgsuperfan

[29]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 25

I do was glad that Seaver was not involved boy what a pair of crazed killers real WACKOS

Tirill

[30]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 3

WOW... How Natural Born Killers was this episode?! I was just waiting for Woody Harrelson to appear. Not good.

But on the pluss side.... No Seaver.

scooterstarr

[31]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 12
    I thought it was an interesting premise, with the modern day Bonnie and Clyde (and after all, they certainly did go out in a hail of bullets, I'm surprised no one had to stop and reload). I was pleased it was back to just our regular team and we did get to see some profiling (Morgan telling Ray what Sid was going to do next, for example) The stand off was kind of interesting at the end, and the parts involving the team were good. Who doesn't love salsa dancing?

I wasn't a big fan of whatever kind of sexy action movie gimmick they seemed to be employing so that we'd all pay attention. The gratuitous sexual scenes didn't really advance the plot, they seemed like someone shoved them in because they were lazy and had heard that apparently sex sells. And all those weird close ups of their faces and guns and how they seemed to insist on showing every person who got shot contorting themselves and spasaming as they fell to the ground. If anyone wants a fun activity, try counting how many times someone fired a gun in this episode. I guess hundreds.

I'm intrigued to see where the Prentiss storyline goes. I'm partly excited because it looks promising, but I'm also worried that it starts the beginning of the end for Emily. And I no longer have faith that the writers can take an interesting idea and make a good episode anymore. If it had occurred in season 3, I would have been very excited, but now, I doubt it.

michaelhanergod

[32]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 7

Seaver was missed. Here we again with the sausage fest.

your hate for seaver is ridiculous and i bet Bernero is not proud of his fans right now that does not support the new kid or should i say woman in class. I bet he would say those who does not support Rachel as a new cast member is no criminal minds fan at all

Edited on 01/27/2011 12:55pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Larexx

[33]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 11

I became a member here in 10/07 specifically b/c of CM. I haven't missed commenting on a single episode in 3.3 yrs. So it sincerely sickens me to now read all the negative comments which I so unfortunately agree with! Writing bad reviews of my favorite show is very difficult for me to do but here comes another one. When the violence disclaimer came on screen before the start of the show, I just thought, "Ah, oh, this can't be good!". Never before has CM needed to make a disclaimer. After seeing the murder sprees at convenience stores, I thought they decided to make the disclaimer b/c it follows so closely to the real life tragedy in AZ. But this episode had so many more problems than that. Never before have they had to make a point with such graphic, over the top violence & sex. It was all about the unsubs with brief, short bursts of appearences from the BAU team. No mention or even a hint of Reid's heachache problem. Emily's someone's out to get me blip at the end was anticlimactic to say the least.Agent Seaver wasn't there. She was taking a test. Hey, CM writers, admit she failed & lets move on!! PLEASE, let's move on to bigger, better shows! Forget about the new CM show & concentrate on fixing the old one!

blue133

[34]Jan 27, 2011

michaelhanergod wrote:

your hate for seaver is ridiculous and i bet Bernero is not proud of his fans right now that does not support the new kid or should i say woman in class. I bet he would say those who does not support Rachel as a new cast member is no criminal minds fan at all

If the Seaver character were even slightly credible and believable in any way, however slight, I'd be the first one saying "Hey, let's give this character a shot." I simply cannot do that. This character is an epic fail in every possible way. And although it has been repeated time and time again, apparently with no effect, this has nothing to do with the actress. The actress is just an unfortunate recipient of a ridiculous character that never should have been introduced to Criminal Minds.

Quite frankly, the only one who should be ashamed is Ed Bernero for heaping this woefully sub par character onto the Criminal Minds viewer.

michaelhanergod

[35]Jan 27, 2011
    blue133 wrote:

michaelhanergod wrote:

If the Seaver character were even slightly credible and believable in any way, however slight, I'd be the first one saying "Hey, let's give this character a shot." I simply cannot do that. This character is an epic fail in every possible way. And although it has been repeated time and time again, apparently with no effect, this has nothing to do with the actress. The actress is just an unfortunate recipient of a ridiculous character that never should have been introduced to Criminal Minds.

Quite frankly, the only one who should be ashamed is Ed Bernero for heaping this woefully sub par character onto the Criminal Minds viewer.

If Rachel played another character you would hate her as ell. We all know that it all has to do with AJ Cook leaving. No matter who they got on the show as a new female character would be hated by the "not" real fans of CM. Real fans support their show. Rossi got hated as well. Its the same with seaver but now its more intense because of the loss of AJ. and its not right

blue133

[36]Jan 27, 2011

Yes, yes, it is all about AJ and nothing to do with the fact that this character is the epitome of OOC. Yes, you are absolutely correct, it is all about AJ, none of the remarks that people have taken the time to detail repeatedly about the inherent flaws of this character have anything to do with it, it is all about AJ. The fact that they can't and will never buy the Seaver character, yes, why yes, it is all about AJ.

You have cracked the case, solved the puzzle, it is indeed all about AJ because apparently we all just have tunnel vision and can't detect a poorly conceived, badly introduced and badly written character. Nope, it is all about AJ, all about AJ, all about AJ.....

Edited on 01/27/2011 1:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

phf3947

[37]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 71
    michaelhanergod wrote:
    ... and i bet Bernero is not proud of his fans right now that does not support the new kid or should i say woman in class. I bet he would say those who does not support Rachel as a new cast member is no criminal minds fan at all

I'm sorry, but WHAT? His fans? And you indicate that Ed Bernero believes those who do not support Rachel Nichols as Agent Ashley Seaver are not Criminal Minds fans? Did he tell you this?
    Edited on 01/27/2011 1:46pm

michaelhanergod

[38]Jan 27, 2011
    phf3947 wrote:
    michaelhanergod wrote:
    ... and i bet Bernero is not proud of his fans right now that does not support the new kid or should i say woman in class. I bet he would say those who does not support Rachel as a new cast member is no criminal minds fan at all

I'm sorry, but WHAT? His fans? And you indicate that Ed Bernero believes those who do not support Rachel Nichols as Agent Ashley Seaver are not Criminal Minds fans? Did he tell you this?

well he did say that the hate for Seaver hasd to do with some are angry because of AJ's departure. So yes

OverseasFan

[39]Jan 27, 2011
    michaelhanergod wrote:
    well he did say that the hate for Seaver hasd to do with some are angry because of AJ's departure. So yes

The resentment about Cook's departure is undeniable, but we wouldn't expect the executive producer of a show to state in an interview that "yeah, fans aren't happy with Seaver, I guess it's because no one took the time to flesh out the character and she's practically a Mary Sue who has no place in the show," would we?

Tirill

[40]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 3

michaelhanergod wrote:

I bet he would say those who does not support Rachel as a new cast member is no criminal minds fan at all

I´m sorry but what the hell are you talking about? If someone isn´t a huge fan of ALL of the cast members that doesn´t make them any less of a fan of the show.