Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official discussion thread: "True Genius" - Spoilers

phf3947

[1]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "True Genius" in this thread. This episode was written by Sharon Lee Watson and directed by Glenn Kershaw.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Torrant2

[2]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 6

Quick question: This is probably really stupid but how can Reid be 30? We saw his 21st birthday party in season 1. It's season 7, so shouldn't he be 27?

fionaskarma

[3]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 1
    He actually turned 24 in season 1

Finnegan77

[4]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 27
    Finally! A good episode! It's seemed like forever since there was an ep that made me feel like writing anything but another round of grumbles about how low this show has sunk. I liked this! Liked that Reid is becoming a grown up, looking like an agent, using his mega-brains to bring the egotistical bad guys to justice. All the little quirks that made me love the character of Spencer Reid were back with no whining or self-pity to be seen. Loved his little scene with (the new Dear Abby) Prentiss in the coffee shop where she joked with him and made scribbles on his decoding efforts. Loved her digs about how he's working with a bunch of dummies. And, it seemed to me, they finally got the whole 'family feel' right at the end of the ep, too! No more weirdly awkward moments, just some hugs, laughs, and celebration.

And, can I get an "Amen" for a complete lack of strangely stalkerish joggers? I honestly didn't comment on the last show of 2011 because it was complete dreck and I couldn't find one nice thing to say about it! I was worried about what to expect last night, but I was, I'll admit, quite pleasantly surprised! Was the profiling completely trackable? No, but that's okay, they made me believe they knew what they were doing!

CM back on my "to-watch" list!

Torrant2

[6]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 6

fionaskarma wrote:
    He actually turned 24 in season 1

Thank you, you're right. I re-watched Plain Sight after I posted the message.

danharr

[7]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 45

Good episode felt like season one and Reid was a joy for the first time in a long time.

lynna12000

[8]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 21
    This was a good episode. The team was acting like a team and using their various talents in harmony. It was funny, in a weird way, to see the various law enforcement officers acting like fanboys in a way. The Zodiac Killer mystery as ultimate goal makes sense.

It was nice to see Reid actually like a professional. Not to mention, using his talents. I particularly liked the seen where Reid was explaining how the killer converted the code from one format to another. Expecially when he asked if Hotch wanted him to go into greater detail. Hotchs' dead pan delivery answer made the moment.

bluemystique

[9]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 4

It was an awesome episode. I loved that they covered the Zodiac Killer... did a paper on him and his particular codemaking. Reid was just amazing as always. I just love how much he continues to mature and all throughout the series. I loved that they asked that question that you knew was going to come up at some point in his life...a man of his genius doing that particular job. It's only natural for him to question whether or not his squandering his talents. I think the twist would have been even better if it was really Harvey who performed the murders instead of Caleb. But it was still really good. I also am still slightly annoyed with Prentiss playing team therapist. It's a little too much. And did they seriously forget his birthday? That was odd, but loved the ending with them celebrating. It was a great family moment but it also was like they came full circle as a series...Reid in Season one with Gideon looking in awe and actually saying he wonders how much the kid would know at thirty...and then season seven with the kid being thirty and just all grown up mature and evolved. Loved it. One of my favorite episodes of this season.

CMJunkie

[10]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 8
    I really hope Ms. Watson writes more episodes!! Good one!

mfundpx

[11]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 3

Actually, Gideon said "fifty"...

Larexx

[12]Jan 24, 2012
    • level: 11

It had been a month since the last episode & it felt like an eternity. I hate those long gaps between new episodes. However, this was worth the wait! I liked that Ms. Watson entitled it "True Genius" and then went on to show how genius could be used for good & evil. She also showed the struggle Reid was having coming to terms with his abilities & how he chooses to use them. Reid begins to question whether he is squandering his abilities when he meets a young man & realizes that he had used his genius to form a multi million dollar company that was "going to change the world". Then we see that the unsub & his equally crazy & genius friend have used their genius with evil intent. We finally see Reid has matured & realizing that what he does matters & is important. He accepts who he is & how far he has come in his 30 yrs. Nice surprise birthday party for him at the end too. More CM please!

nutmeg0963

[13]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 2

This one was one of my new "personal favorites" and what got me re-engaged into following the show closely after I started falling off the "faithful full-time follower" CM wagon again sometime last fall.

I found the unsub to be more exciting, the case unraveling to be more challenging (profiling, whoopee, it's back! at least momentarily), and it did give Reid the opportunity to shine at what he does best amongst the team. As far as acting unprofessionally, I would say cut him a little slack. He's had his moments where his behavior was definitely out-of-line...but Morgan's also thrown his share of temper tantrums, and Garcia is the epitome of unprofessionalism...etc, etc. It happens.

I loved watching him and Prentiss interact at the coffee shop as well as the surprise birthday party. Best part about that blurb was seeing a rare glimpse of EVERYONE smiling and enjoying the lighter side of life for a few moments.

You know, I was showing my sister-in-law the gag reels from CM's previous seasons, and afterwards she turned to me and said, "Are you sure these guys aren't working on a comedy together? They look like a blast!" In other words, clearly the cast chemistry isn't fake, so I rather enjoy pleasant team bonding moments.