Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Overview / General Discussion of Season 3 (possible spoilers)

CMJunkie

[21]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 8
    He doesn't mope and have a sad depressed look constantly... he does his job with efficiency, sentiment be dam*ed... he challenges the "status quo" and pushes the other team members in ways Gideon only meditated about... and he shows up for work pretty predictably.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

arizonadream777

[22]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 5
    CMJunkie, I totally agree with your post but then again I never really liked mandy patikan. I have always thought he was over-rated as an actor and his character always seemed depressed. Now I know there are reasons for that but I just would have at least seen 1 other side of him for just a minute. But thats just me.

CrazyLady9

[23]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    t389190001 wrote:

He's been on what? 4 episodes? How can you like him over Gideon been on the show for 2 seasons? So far he hasn't done any memorable scenes or done anything particularly "good" to prove himself to be a good leader! or a character for that matter. Can someone explain why the ""majority" likes him?

Well, there are two big factors for it.

First of all, Rossi is completely different from Gideon. He takes charge (isn't that what the senior people anywhere are supposed to do?), he is as grounded and solid mentally as a person can be - Gideon was almost always on the verge of a mental breakdown himself, and it almost felt (looking back) the team had to handle him with silk gloves for fear they'd have another mental case on their hands. That really doesn't fit the profile of a top-flight profiler, does it? Now don't get me wrong - there are a few times where you want an unusually nasty unsub to get under the skin of the profilers and have them show emotion, just not every episode. Change is the spice of life, and Rossi certainly brings some entertaining spice.

Secondly, there are still a lot of hurt feelings out there. Let's face it, Mr. Patinkin essentially abandoned the show, and by extension, it's fans. It's hard to remain completely unbiased towards his character after that (rightly or wrongly). People feel how they feel - and feelings just aren't something you can say you're wrong, how you feel is wrong and how I feel is right. Feelings just are.

I'm sure no one here is throwing out their season one and two dvds or anything to that ilk. The first two years were very good, and yes, Mr. Patinkin's character was a large part of that. But, it's time to move on and embrace the new team and storylines.

Edited on 12/24/2007 8:09pm

Buffy_Chick

[24]Dec 24, 2007
    Very well said everyone. I couldn't agree more!

Rossi is very different from Gideon, and it's new and exciting. I never got any emotion from Gideon that made me happy or angry or sad... but with Rossi, Lord I've wanted to just smack him around a bit a couple of times... It was grand! Hit him with a brick... I dunno.
    But that alone puts him head and shoulders above Gideon, in my opinion. A good solid, unpredicatable character. Gideon could be fairly predictable most of the time, because he never changed. Now perhaps Rossi is only unpredictable because we don't know him all that well yet, but I'd like to think it's because he actually is.

Don't think there much mroe I can add to that.

EmiliaRomagna

[25]Dec 25, 2007
    • level: 23
    t389190001 wrote:

Can someone explain why the ""majority" likes him?

Oh, that's an easy one. Reading all the posts on this forum, and I guess by saying the majority, it meant the majority here

I include myself.

But as it has been said, it's a matter of liking or liking better, and that is a matter of taste. Difficult to discuss taste

phf3947

[26]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 71
    CBS has just announced the new airdate for "3rd Life," and it's January 9, 2008.

Julichen

[27]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 2

Ohhh!! That's soooo great! Thanks for announcing it! You made my day!

arizonadream777

[28]Dec 27, 2007
    thats great. does anyone know anything new about the writers strike????

djariya

[29]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 19
    No talks planned anytime soon. It's getting very close to the point of no return for this TV season.

Elainec65

[30]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 10

I think it is all quite sad when the only way to get their points across is to strike, I thought we were supposed to be reasonable people in this day and age?

I hope things get settled soon so that everyone can get back to work before it is too late - my fear is that it is already forcing new TV shows off the air because they haven't finished writing things for the first season. I just hope that they don't start losing the actors to anything else that might come along.

E

arizonadream777

[31]Dec 28, 2007
    I guess when it comes to money all reason goes out the window. It's truly sad because the people they are upsetting more are the people that are the most important. Us, because we make the ratings and we make successful shows but I guess we don't count. I mean everyone counts especially the writers but TPTB don't seem to get the fact that this can affect a shows success in the future if itsn't taken care of quickly.
    Edited on 12/28/2007 6:07pm

Larexx

[33]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 11

I just wanted to acknowledge Atsregs 1st posting by saying welcome & you made a good comment. I hadn't thought of the fact that you don't become an expert overnight. My Dad started out as a patrolman, then the Burglary Division & finally a 1st Class Manhattan Homicide Detective. From patrolman to homicide took many years so it is very conceivable that Rossi too worked many years before becoming the founder of the BAU. The timeline Rossi stated could indeed be acurate. We're just getting piece meal bits of info about him at this point so anything is possible.

Also, I'm not saying, at this point, that I even like Rossi. I can say though that there are reasons why I'm not missing Mandy Patankin. !st, I'm old, 48, closer to his age than I guess most of you and I didn't find him particulary attractive. 2ndly, I found him to be rather stoic, meaning he showed little or no emotion as stated by previous posts. Season 1, epsidode 1 featured him returning after having had a mental breakdown so his apathy may have been his defense against another breakdown. Still, I didn't find his character to be very relatable. And finally, the way he left the show was just selfish & inconsiderate to his fellow actors & to the fans of the show. A very self centered individual in real life. Who needs that?

Happy New Years to all. Looking forward to 1/9 when 3rd Life will be shown! Unfortunately, I think we'll have to write off season 3 at this point & hope for an uninterrupted Season 4!!

Finnegan77

[34]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 27
    I cannot wait for the new episode "3rd Life". Season three has had some outstanding episodes, and some that are clearly not for the record books, but I imagine that, given the opportunity, the eps would only get better. The team minus Gideon and plus Rossi is finding its feet - people are starting to get along (as shown by the playful interlude and almost happy-hour sharing at the end of "Birthright"). Even though the editing/writing seems haphazard at times, especially when the team is discussing the case and developing the profile, they have not lost the sense of this show. A few of the best eps this season, IMO:

In Birth and Death - excellent resolution to Hotch's problem with Evil Erin, the end of Hotch's marriage, and a final, complete embracing of Prentiss as a team member. The end showing Reid's discovery and Gideon's departure on his journey was very good.

Children of the Dark - Extremely creepy, and a perfect scene when Morgan and Prentiss return the young kids to the foster home and deal with the fallout there.

Seven Seconds - Every parent's nightmare coupled with guilt galore. Great tension, great acting from the regular cast as well as the guest actors.

About Face - Introducing David Rossi! From his moments in Erin Strauss' office to his immediate clash with the team, this new member of the BAU promises something different. Add to that a great plot, and you have a winner.

Lucky - Cannibal - what more can I say? Well, just this: the Morgan/Garcia tension was very good and very believable, and the final words that Floyd is just dying to say come as a complete shock. And then there's the gunshot.

Penelope - Who the heck is this guy and why is he after our girl? Nice casting of Nick Brendon as the other tech, nice Morgan protectiveness, nice itty-bitty- backstory for Garcia, and a bullseye from JJ.

Criminal Minds is still the best show on television. Bring on the next ep.

angies09

[35]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    Well said Finnegan!!!!! I couldn't agree more. Despite the casting change, the strike, and basically all heck breaking lose, the entire Criminal Minds team has pulled through and brought us the usual... an Amazing show! Just goes to show talented and professional they all really are!
    Edited on 01/01/2008 9:53pm

CMJunkie

[36]Jan 2, 2008
    Ditto here too!!! Only... it makes me sad... because it is so close to be all over...

SpencerREid

[37]Jan 2, 2008

How many more episodes can we reasonably expect???? If we only get to see two more episode I´m going to be so depressed!!!!

I´m really keeping my fingers crossed. Any more news on the strike????? I´m out of the country on vacation so I don´t have access to a computer as often asI´d like. I´m comingback on the 8th...so I´ll get to see the new episode the next day!!!!!!

CrazyLady9

[38]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 6

It's not how many episodes can they do, but the quality of the episodes. I don't think they can extend the filming season (I would expect many of the actors and filmmakers would probably have previous commitments during their summer break).

I would rather see the season end now (no matter when the strike ends), and let everyone involved with the show get an early start on next season (on the writing and other behind the scenes work) rather than see a few hastily thrown-together episodes 'just for the sake of having more new episodes and competing in their timeslot.'

If I remember correctly tho, we still have yet to see 3rd Life, and I believe one more new episode (after that) this season?

phf3947

[39]Jan 3, 2008
    "3rd Life" airs next Wednesday and CBS has just announced January 23 for "Limelight." After that? Who knows.

phf3947

[40]Jan 4, 2008
    There was a list published today on zap2it.com with the shows that are wrapping in January/February due to the strike. So far, these CBS shows are over for the season: NCIS, CSI, CSI: Miami, Numb3rs, Power of 10. Criminal Minds isn't named, but there could be an update later.