Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Overview / General Discussion of Season 3 (possible spoilers)

Buffy_Chick

[161]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 8
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    CMJunkie wrote:
    one more week!!!!! Wooooo Hoooo!!! I am looking forward to April2 excitedly AND grudgingly..... so many "news" articles report one form of bedhopping or another, and that will be a sure fire way to totally ruin CM for me. I want psychopaths, sadists, serial killers, serial rapist, kidnappings/hostages...... not bedsheets, nude scenes and "who's doing who" scripts.
    You took the words right our of my mouth! Bed-hopping would be the death knell of this great series, and I want it to continue for many, many, MANY season. Keep on track, great Criminal Minds' minds! More outstanding eps like Ashes and Dust, Lessons, Learned, Revelations, A Real Rain... too many great ones to name.
    I have to ditto both of you. The thought of that bedhopping makes me sick. We were promised that would never happen, were we not? So I'm chalking it all up to just stupid nasty rumours right now. Besides, that's all spoilers/news/etc is.... until it actually appears on the show, doesn't matter what the source is, it's just a rumour.
    Edited on 03/25/2008 5:14pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Buffy_Chick

[162]Mar 25, 2008
    Samb2037 wrote:
    Casting Call information from SpoilerTV:

***SPOILER***

I could SO be Sarah! *innocent look*
    Now if only I lived anywhere near the filming location.

Mind you... to those that do live in the area, casting call information is only good if it also includes where and when you're supposed to show up.
    Edited on 03/25/2008 5:23pm

djariya

[163]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 19
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but in the new TV Guide it says that after the cast and crew completes the remaining 7 episodes for this season, they will take a short break and shoot 27 episodes for season 4.

Now if there isn't a SAG strike, that's wonderful news for next season.

smartchick

[164]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 4

(from the AJ thread) Djariya: I heard that A.J. Cook is pregnant. But, how are they going to incorporate a pregnancy when her character isn't dating anyone?......At least it appears that JJ is single. I would find it hard to believe that a young and intelligent woman like JJ would be careless and sleep with someone and accidently get pregnant.

I suppose between daycare, friends, family, a significant other, and/or slightly lessened work hours would allow JJ to handle the baby situation. I also suppose it wouldn't be terribly difficult for the writers to suddenly incorporate a boyfriend. In any case, I agree with your reasoning in that last sentence, but who knows? I really don't have much of an educated guess how the writers are planning to toss this situation into the mix.

To be honest, while I'm thrilled for AJ about her pregnancy, I've started having some serious reservations about JJ having a pregnancy. I'm simply not sure that it's such a great idea. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see the storyline start to play out, but right now I'm leaning towards the opinion of: Why can't they just find creative ways to hide her stomach for a few months? Plenty of shows have done that for pregnant actresses.

Anyhow, like I said, in all likelihood I could change my mind down the road, but right now if there was one word I had to pick to describe my feelings concerning this story development, it wouldn't be "excited."

It would be "nervous."

Edited on 03/26/2008 7:55am
    Edited 2 total times.

Samb2037

[165]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    smartchick wrote:

(from the AJ thread) Djariya: I heard that A.J. Cook is pregnant. But, how are they going to incorporate a pregnancy when her character isn't dating anyone?......At least it appears that JJ is single. I would find it hard to believe that a young and intelligent woman like JJ would be careless and sleep with someone and accidently get pregnant.

I suppose between daycare, friends, family, a significant other, and/or slightly lessened work hours would allow JJ to handle the baby situation. I also suppose it wouldn't be terribly difficult for the writers to suddenly incorporate a boyfriend. In any case, I agree with your reasoning in that last sentence, but who knows? I really don't have much of an educated guess how the writers are planning to toss this situation into the mix.

To be honest, while I'm thrilled for AJ about her pregnancy, I've started having some serious reservations about JJ having a pregnancy. I'm simply not sure that it's such a great idea. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see the storyline start to play out, but right now I'm leaning towards the opinion of: Why can't they just find creative ways to hide her stomach for a few months? Plenty of shows have done that for pregnant actresses.

Anyhow, like I said, in all likelihood I could change my mind down the road, but right now if there was one word I had to pick to describe my feelings concerning this story development, it wouldn't be "excited."

It would be "nervous."

I'm kinda nervous about this storyline too. I agree with you that JJ wouldn't be that careless, that's why I think they'll bring in Will LaMontagne from "Jones" as the daddy. I mean the fans have already seen him, we know his background, and we know they had some kind of "spark". Plus she did give him her card to keep in touch. Possibly they have been keeping in touch since "Jones" and they just haven't shown it. Maybe they finally meet again in "A Higher Power" or the JJ centric episode? On the other hand "A Higher Power" is set in Philly...and isn't JJ from a suburb on the outskirts of Philly? Maybe she reunites with an old flame before heading back to D.C. and then the storyline continues in her episode.

CMJunkie

[166]Mar 26, 2008
    thanks so much for labeling that as a spoiler..... I appreciate the forethought.

smartchick

[167]Mar 26, 2008

Hey CMJunkie. Who were you thanking for labeling what as a spoiler?

If you were referring to me bringing up my opinion on the "JJ storyline," then...sorry again. I thought the topic had already been brought up in this forum, so if I was supposed to put a spoiler tag there too, then I appologize. I was under the impression that this forum, based on its newly revised title, was open for us to freely discuss that stuff.

(I admit, I'm a little hesitant to even mention the storyline at this point. It's seeming like a rather sensitive topic for some reason, though judging by all the articles I'm starting to see emerge from this, it's hardly a secret anymore.)

smartchick

[168]Mar 26, 2008

Samb2037: I'm kinda nervous about this storyline too. I agree with you that JJ wouldn't be that careless, that's why I think they'll bring in Will LaMontagne from "Jones" as the daddy. I mean the fans have already seen him, we know his background, and we know they had some kind of "spark". Plus she did give him her card to keep in touch. Possibly they have been keeping in touch since "Jones" and they just haven't shown it. Maybe they finally meet again in "A Higher Power" or the JJ centric episode? On the other hand "A Higher Power" is set in Philly...and isn't JJ from a suburb on the outskirts of Philly? Maybe she reunites with an old flame before heading back to D.C. and then the storyline continues in her episode.

To tip-toe back into the subject, while I think alot of us might be more comfortable with seeing JJ re-unite with Will LaMontagne because we're at least semi-familiar with that character, in a realistic sense the likelihood of such a union is probably next-to-none. Then again, you're right in that the development of a long-distance relationship is a possibility. Reuniting her with an old flame might be a smoother route, and with the indefinite time frames between episodes, a JJ relationship could be established from that point.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the writers might've decided to give JJ a baby instead of hiding AJ's pregnancy? I know Bernero mentioned in one of the articles I've read that, with Garcia's relationship and a baby for JJ, they're trying to "add a little light to the darkness." So, okay, true. A baby lends more of a family vibe...I guess my fears are kind of rooted in the possible complications the baby could also bring with its arrival. Adding in a baby is an infinitely bigger deal than adding in a boyfriend or girlfriend for one of the characters. I guess another concern I have is what will happen to the character dynamics within the team, about what kind of an effect bringing in a baby will have on that aspect of the show.

Lol, I guess in summary my fears are primarily based on not knowing what's going to happen...and hoping that, somehow or someway, the storyline doesn't inadvertently backfire.

I'd also like to emphasize really quick that all that stuff I was babbling about up there is pure speculation. Obviously, we don't know with 100% certainty how the writers will ultimately handle AJ's pregnancy. TV Guide's March 31st-April 11th issue is supposed to have a great article about CM with pictures and spoilers, so that article might clear a few things up.

Edited on 03/26/2008 1:33pm

Finnegan77

[169]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 27
    I wish AJ and her husband much joy, but I'd dearly love it JJ was not suddenly pregnant on Criminal Minds. I cannot imagine a story line that would keep with the tenor of the great show that we have now that includes a pregnant single agent. Having JJ being a surrogate seems to be a popular idea, but to me that reeks of a Law and Order: CI rip-off. At least they had already established a sister for Erbe's character before they pulled that one out of the writers' hats.

I love the great CM we have now - with emphasis on getting into the criminals' minds, out-thinking and then catching (or not catching) the bad guys with a little (emphasis on LITTLE) of the agents' personal lives thrown in. Character development can happen easily within the confines of the BAU offices/crime locations, and hints are much better than glaring neon signs in my opinion. Seeing Emily's home, Hotch's marital strife, Morgan's crisis of faith, Reid's difficult childhood - all good! - but nine or so months of single mother-to-be angst, and then constant references to the baby after that does not sound good.

EddyB did promise that we wouldn't have agents bed-hopping on CM. I hope he remembers his promise!

smartchick

[170]Mar 26, 2008

*breathes an ENORMOUS sigh of relief* Finnegan, thank you so much! You managed to iterate exactly what I was feeling.

You're absolutely right, and I think the show's primary structure ought to stay the way it was established in the beginning. The team interaction is great as is. We've had so much character development go on within the job and through smaller blips of their past and/or their personal lives. A baby would hardly become a "small" blip on the radar, and I really do think an out-of-the-blue pregnancy is only going to have a more jarring effect on the show's rhythm and style.

I held back on clarifying one of the statements I made earlier. I could summarize my fears about added complications and the team dynamics with this: I'm really afraid that baby could take over the BAU team! What do I mean by that? Finnegan touched on it when mentioning that JJ's single-mother angst would be dealt with for months. It's a storyline that would drag on, not be neatly tied up in a short time period. Then there'd be the drama of the birth. Next comes the drama of JJ adjusting to single motherhood. Meanwhile, in addition to the baby being a prominent center-of-attention, the writers would still have to cram in development for the other six characters and the actual cases.

Bottom line: I don't want Criminal Minds to start revolving around JJ and her baby, not even for just one season. Unfortunately, given the depth, complexity, and time consumption of such a storyline, I'm really afraid the risk of that happening is substantial. Even if the writers make a painstaking effort towards its prevention, how could it not happen?

I hope that doesn't come across too harshly; that's not my intention. And no, I'm not saying that only because JJ's not my favorite character. I love all the BAU members, but of course, most of you know that Reid's my pet character. Well, I said the same thing last year when Reid's alleged "drug use" started becoming the 900 pound gorilla in the room. I said the show would snowball downhill if it started revolving around him; therefore, I did NOT want to ever see that happen. So I'd be equally worried if I detected hints that this was a situation (concerning Reid's personal life) that might ruin the dynamics of Criminal Minds.

The problem's not that it's JJ. If any one of the team members OR any one of the team member's lives start strongly carrying the show or driving the interactions between the characters, then I fear that would help put Criminal Minds on the path to destruction.

Edited on 03/26/2008 4:28pm

michaelhanergod

[171]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    I have read some of the spoilers and all of this soap crap is really starting to scare me. Hey as a Buffy fan i think its awesome that Nick Brendon has become a part of the cast. But i would have hoped not in a soapish kind of way like they have started. They need to move away from that and give Brendon some sort a pivotal role by helping them catch killers with his nerdish computer kind of way. Can't he just join the team by helping out the team. Then it would be awesome if he became a regular on the show
    Edited on 03/26/2008 5:13pm

Samb2037

[172]Mar 26, 2008
    according to Wikipeida the JJ centric episode is going to be called "Elephant's Memory" and be based in Texas dealing with a spree killer and a young girl and her boyfriend. anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor?

phf3947

[173]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 71
    Samb2037 wrote:
    according to Wikipeida the JJ centric episode is going to be called "Elephant's Memory" and be based in Texas dealing with a spree killer and a young girl and her boyfriend. anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor?

It appears the summary that I wrote from the press release for this guide has been plagiarized again. There is nothing in either place that would indicate this episode will be focused primarily on JJ.

SpencerREid

[174]Mar 26, 2008

JJ pregnant????? I'm really shocked that the writers would go that way....The actress is pregnant...but why does the character have to be???? It makes absolutely no sense character-wise.....JJ could take a vacation...they could hide the pregnancy etc etc...

Is this spoiler for real???? I hope NOT.

alexbourbon

[175]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    michaelhanergod wrote:
    I have read some of the spoilers and all of this soap crap is really starting to scare me. Hey as a Buffy fan i think its awesome that Nick Brendon has become a part of the cast. But i would have hoped not in a soapish kind of way like they have started. They need to move away from that and give Brendon some sort a pivotal role by helping them catch killers with his nerdish computer kind of way. Can't he just join the team by helping out the team. Then it would be awesome if he became a regular on the show

As you should know by now, Nick Brendon is just going to be a guest star on several episodes- this season and next season. He is not going to join the main cast- since his job is basically identical to that of Penelope's. He is going to be, in short, Haley Hotchner but with more airtime since he works nearby. Nick Brendon mentioned to E!'s Kristin that he becomes Penelope's partner in "Damaged"- so whatever that means- either domestic partner or work partner, I'm sure that means he will play some pivotal role with the team. But as for what you're implying and wanting- trust me, I want the same thing for Brendon but you gotta accept the facts- Penelope was there first and she's not going to be replaced. As for "this soap crap"- This soap crap is going to get Criminal Minds bigtime ratings my friend. You already got half of the Buffy fans jumping on board to this show, as I admit, I am one of them- and you got those people who like their relationship fix- as I am one of them as well- aka those people who like to watch soap opera dramas. You needn't be nervous about this new direction Criminal Minds is going. You have to realize- this is the writer's choice and they had this planned before the strike even occurred. It's not like they all of a sudden decided to go this angle. Besides, no need to be sour about anything- you're guaranteed at least 15 million viewers next Wednesday night and you're guaranteed 27 episodes next season. Why be sad?

Buffy_Chick

[176]Mar 27, 2008
    Well I can certainly say I was a Buffy fan ages ago, then it ended... Been a fan of many shows since... Then I matured and grew up. Now I'm a Criminal Minds fan. Speaking as a fan of both shows, I don't want Nick to have too large of a role. You are right with Garcia being in place first etc etc. That shouldn't, and won't, change.

Secondly though, I wouldn't be so sure that the soap crap will get the show more ratings.. A) the ratings are fine as is, as far as I'm aware. Not the top show, but not bad. B) I could probably list off at least 20 people that would stop watching if CM became a soap drama rather than a crime drama. Myself included. And since I know there are many many more that I don't know about, I believe it would actually hurt the ratings. Just thinking about CM going down that road literally makes me sick to my stomach. No joke.

I've said it before, I'm not big on ratings anyway. I know that's how the business is usually run, but I don't believe in it. I believe in a solid loyal fanbase, no matter how small. That's far more important to me. So if the 'sudden' relationship storylines turned out to be a way to get ratings, I would stop watching. Plain and Simple.

I've also said before that if you want your relationship fix, this is NOT the show you should be watching... Remember, crime drama, not soap opera. Crime. Drama. If you (I mean you generally, not you specifically) are only here because of Nick, or because of the 'potential'/'rumoured' relationships, etc, on the horizon, I really think... (ok I really HOPE, because at this point I'm not sure of anything) your going to be sorely dissapointed.

I for one am going to be very VERY nervous for the remainder of the season, and just hope to hell and back the writers know what they're doing. Pray the strike didn't turn their brains to mush. Oh please, oh please, oh please! *crosses fingers*

As for the other spoilerific news, with the rumoured JJ happenings... Gosh I hope not.... Hurrah for AJ! But keep JJ out of it please! I think the others who have commented on the topic have already voiced my thoughts with theirs, so no need to repeat it all.
    Edited on 03/26/2008 11:36pm
    Edited 3 total times.

michaelhanergod

[177]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 7

I agree wholeheartly. If CM becomes a soap with relationship trouble and all that. I am done with this show. CM viewers watch it for the story of catching a different serial killer and such every week that is why people return to the show over and over again and that concept can't be changed.

So you are right if they go the path of the soap thing then this show will almost turn a 180 degrees. And that will not make viewers of CM happy. I want Brendon to star and get a bigger role but not for the soap thing. He could become a cast member in a different way.

And the whole JJ thing making her pregnant is OK aslong they don't make a BIG story out about it.

Edited on 03/26/2008 11:58pm

Samb2037

[178]Mar 27, 2008
    phf3947 wrote:
    Samb2037 wrote:
    It appears the summary that I wrote from the press release for this guide has been plagiarized again. There is nothing in either place that would indicate this episode will be focused primarily on JJ.
    I didn't get the idea about that episode from you(sorry for the mix-up)...I got it from Ask Kristin from E! Online. She gave the spoiler a while back that the third episode back was going to be JJ-Centric...that's why I was wondering about the information from Wikipedia...but since I can't find it on any of the other spoiler sites..I'm not sure about it.
    Edited on 03/27/2008 12:19am

scooterstarr

[180]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    Discussion boards are all about different viewpoints, so everyone's completely entitled to express theirs. We should just make sure that we're doing it without putting down anyone else. We're here to have fun discussing the show that we love, not to go after anyone personally or engage in name-calling.

I for one have been very happy with the show so far, it seems to be getting better all the time. I trust the writers enough to know that whatever plot arcs they decide to introduce they'll do it well and they'll do it in a way that makes the show better. So whatever direction the show takes, I'm not going get worried until I see the episodes and can judge it on how it was actually handled.