Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Season 5 discussion thread (may contain spoilers)

Lady_Lancaster

[101]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 41
    CRaivios wrote:

The CM new season premieres on Wed. Sept 23.

OK, the CM set is starting to look like a MASH unit. Let me get this straight:

Aaron Hotchner was involved in the cliffhanger and will be in a wheelchair.

MGG really hurt his knee and ended up on crutches.

Shemar Moore got hit by a car ON MY BIRTHDAY and has a broken leg.

And I learned a long time ago never to ask "What next?" Let me just wish everyone a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the air date, much appreciated. The set is going to be the walking wounded! I HOPE Hotch survives, I definitely will stop watching the show if he doesn't.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JaniceVerb

[102]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 1
    I think it would be nice to see Reid in a relationship and I think Garcia and Morgan should get together they would make a great couple.

phf3947

[103]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 71
    CBS announced today that "Omnivore" will be repeated on 9/2/09. Those who need to brush up on The Reaper can tune to see him from a completely different perspective. After that, it'll be three long and agonizing weeks until Season 5 begins!

Speaking of next season, bringing in D.B. Sweeney as a new character to play a U.S. Marshal for six episodes can do nothing but breathe new life into the stories and add another dimensional layer to an already incredible cast.

REIDFANATIC

[104]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 5

phf3947 wrote:
    CBS announced today that "Omnivore" will be repeated on 9/2/09. Those who need to brush up on The Reaper can tune to see him from a completely different perspective. After that, it'll be three long and agonizing weeks until Season 5 begins! Speaking of next season, bringing in D.B. Sweeney as a new character to play a U.S. Marshal for six episodes can do nothing but breathe new life into the stories and add another dimensional layer to an already incredible cast.

I don't know if I totally agree with the writers bringing in a new character. I don't think the show needs new life. Why fix what wasn't broken. They barely have enough air time to do justice to the seven characters they have now. I have an eerie feeling that DB Sweeney is there to take the place of MGG just because Matthew got injured. Even if Reid can't walk or run around he can still use his incredible mind. I'll be heartbroken if Reid's out of the picture for most of the season. I hope that's not what Ed Bernero has planned. My hopes for season 5 are getting dimmer by the minute.

phf3947

[105]Aug 6, 2009
    Think big picture. After four seasons, a series can get stale if new concepts aren't brought in to keep things fresh. Although Reid is an integral part of the cast of characters, not every viewer is as smitten with him as his devoted fans. Whether the actors' injuries have prompted this change right now, I can't say. But I do know that CM airs in a highly competitive timeslot on a critical night in terms of ad revenue for the network. Not only are we all struggling to survive in a seriously weak economy, the entertainment industry has been seriously affected as well. Bringing in new viewers will be key to keeping the ratings up and the show on the air for a very long time. D.B. Sweeney has a huge fan base and his devotees, who may have never seen the show, will follow him to Criminal Minds.

lynna12000

[106]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 21
    Bringing in D.B. Sweeney also makes alot of sense due to MGG and Shemar Moore injuring themselves. Add that to the fact that Hotch will be on the injured list, you've got half the team on the inactive list.

The writers needed SOMEONE else to come in and aid in the kicking of doors.

REIDFANATIC

[107]Aug 7, 2009

phf3947 wrote:
    Think big picture. After four seasons, a series can get stale if new concepts aren't brought in to keep things fresh. Although Reid is an integral part of the cast of characters, not every viewer is as smitten with him as his devoted fans. Whether the actors' injuries have prompted this change right now, I can't say. But I do know that CM airs in a highly competitive timeslot on a critical night in terms of ad revenue for the network. Not only are we all struggling to survive in a seriously weak economy, the entertainment industry has been seriously affected as well. Bringing in new viewers will be key to keeping the ratings up and the show on the air for a very long time. D.B. Sweeney has a huge fan base and his devotees, who may have never seen the show, will follow him to Criminal Minds.

That's exactlly my point and my concern. I realize everyone doesn't love Reid 's character the way I do, just as not all of the characters are loved by everyone. I thought with three of the team members possibly being on the DL, they would concentrate on those that are left. People are always asking for more about JJ, Possi and Prentiss. Now is the golden opportunity. But now they're bringing in a new character who has, as you say, a huge fan base. So what if he's really a hit. They let a whole slew of very talented writers go due to budget constraints. They wouldn't be able to afford another big time actor so someone would have to go. It wouldn't be one of the women. Thomas Gibson and Joe Mantagna are big names so it's almost a certainty it wouldn't be them. Shemar Moore is the only African American and the sex symbol on the show so I'd say he's safe. That leaves only Matthew. I am thinking of the big picture and right now it looks kind of scary!

Finnegan77

[108]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 27
    My thoughts are that we must wait and see. The efficacy of Sweeney's entrance and his continued presence in some capacity with our heroes will be determined by how the writers handle it. He's a Federal Marshal, correct? This could mean a long-running hunt for a serial killer which includes him. Remember that our "Omnivore" escaped from prison - the Marshal service would certainly be on his trail and the meshing of a Marshal with the BAU would only make sense. This hunt may last over many episodes - AND that would make it much more realistic than the regular two to three-day hunt for these killers that the CM BAU usually faces. Realistic, suspenseful, EXCELLENT! As the team continues to pick off the short-term unsubs, the Marshal Service stays in touch, sharing leads and thoughts with the team.

This is the current way of television thinking, let's face it. Episodic content is being replaced by serialized formats. Look at 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica: one-off episodes are becoming a thing of the recent past. Viewers are letting it be known that they like a prolonged season of tension with small reveals here and there to keep things interesting. If CM is widening its scope to draw in more viewers, to draw out the tension, and to keep things tight and nerve-wracking, then I'm signing up for the entire ride. I CANNOT WAIT!!!

lrigD

[109]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    I don't mind the bringing in of a new character (though I must admit I've never even heard of DB Sweeney), as long as it doesn't affect the regular members. With all the injuries, it's kind of logical though. I can understand why they did it, and I personally don't mind a case/story spanning several episodes, it just shouldn't be the lead plot. In any case I can't wait for next season to start and I'm looking forward to new stories!

amaryllis88

[110]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 20

lynna12000 wrote:
    The writers needed SOMEONE else to come in and aid in the kicking of doors.

I love how you worded this!! It sounds so funny.

Also, that's great news that they've decided to bring in somebody new, I looked him up: D.B. Sweeney, he looks familiar, and he has a long list of credentials, so he must be popular. also, great that he has a huge fanbase---the more the merrier.

I'm with the consensus who likes the intro of new characters that adds to the mixy-ness of Criminal Minds. I will say I didn't like Jordan Todd all that much, I'm glad she's moved on and J.J.'s back, but having another law enforcement person on the show will probably give the writers a new direction/flow that the show can go down. (or up lol)

Hopefully all our actors will be off the injured list soon, and I wish them a speedy recovery!!

REIDFANATIC

[111]Aug 7, 2009

Finnegan77 wrote:
    My thoughts are that we must wait and see. The efficacy of Sweeney's entrance and his continued presence in some capacity with our heroes will be determined by how the writers handle it. He's a Federal Marshal, correct? This could mean a long-running hunt for a serial killer which includes him. Remember that our "Omnivore" escaped from prison - the Marshal service would certainly be on his trail and the meshing of a Marshal with the BAU would only make sense. This hunt may last over many episodes - AND that would make it much more realistic than the regular two to three-day hunt for these killers that the CM BAU usually faces. Realistic, suspenseful, EXCELLENT! As the team continues to pick off the short-term unsubs, the Marshal Service stays in touch, sharing leads and thoughts with the team. This is the current way of television thinking, let's face it. Episodic content is being replaced by serialized formats. Look at 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica: one-off episodes are becoming a thing of the recent past. Viewers are letting it be known that they like a prolonged season of tension with small reveals here and there to keep things interesting. If CM is widening its scope to draw in more viewers, to draw out the tension, and to keep things tight and nerve-wracking, then I'm signing up for the entire ride. I CANNOT WAIT!!!

I don't mind if a case carries over for a few episodes. If they're only aim is to draw out the tension, great. In fact I think the mention of things that have happened in the past bring continuity to the show, although I wouldn't want the same case to take up too many episodes. That would be like The Fugitive where Gerard chased Richard Kimble for like ten years. I don't know anything about those shows you mentioned. I only watch Criminal Minds. And if this new actor is there for only that reason, I'm fine with it. I just don't want him to replace one of the team. I enjoy the mix we have now. I think it's the best mix we've had. I think they've all jelled now. I never liked Elle. I thought I'd miss Gideon but, surprisingly I didn't. So I hope you're right and they're not going to tell Reid in episode six that his injuries are too severe and he can't be an agent anymore and he's gone in favor of this new guy. That's what has the hairs standing up on the back of my neck so to speak.

amaryllis88

[112]Aug 7, 2009
    • level: 20
    phf3947 wrote:
    More news on the current subject (Shemar) and other items of interest to Criminal Minds fans. Read about it HERE.

That's a great read!! Thanks for posting it. I'm really curious as to what's going to happen, and cannot wait until the season starts up again. It's great to see an arc of episodes connected this early in the season, as opposed to waiting til the end. I'm tres excited!

phf3947

[113]Aug 7, 2009
    lrigD wrote:
    ...(though I must admit I've never even heard of DB Sweeney)...

His most recent TV role was as Father Paul in one of my favorite shows, Leverage. Although not comprehensive, a listing of his previous credits on this site can be found HERE.

HumanGuineaPig

[114]Aug 8, 2009
    • level: 3
    Hang on, I watched an interview with Matthew Gray Gubler saying that he was the one going to be in a wheelchair for the first four episodes...it's in the interview on youtube for the film he was in '500 days of summer'

Finnegan77

[115]Aug 8, 2009
    HumanGuineaPig wrote:
    Hang on, I watched an interview with Matthew Gray Gubler saying that he was the one going to be in a wheelchair for the first four episodes...it's in the interview on youtube for the film he was in '500 days of summer'
    Yes, that is correct. Here's what we know so far:
    1. The "Omnivore" unsub showed up at Hotch's apartment at the end of the season finale. A shot was heard off-camera- could mean anything at this point.
    2. MGG had knee surgery and will be in a wheelchair at the beginning of the season. This will be written into the first episode. Imaginations and spoilers tell us it may have to do with an injury in the line of duty.
    3. Shemar broke his leg but is in a walking cast. They will be hiding his injury during his recovery. Can you say "stunt double?"
    4. We have absolutely no info re: any injuries to Hotch himself. None. People are rampantly speculating, but that's par for the course.

Questions? Comments?

phf3947

[116]Aug 8, 2009
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    3. Shemar broke his leg but is in a walking cast. They will be hiding his injury during his recovery. Can you say "stunt double?"

FWIW, I can say Austin Priester

Finnegan77

[117]Aug 8, 2009
    phf3947 wrote:
    Finnegan77 wrote:

FWIW, I can say Austin Priester
    WOW! You ARE good!

SkeeterLove

[118]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 2

I stand by my thoughts that Hotch won't be seriously injured. With MGG being almost completely immobile and them writing that in, and now Shamar, the one that is usually running around, kicking in doors and tackling suspects... well, I'm just not sure the writers will hurt Hotch too bad if any at all. I'm thinking maybe a gunshot to the arm or something like that. I know that would upset Hotch fans maybe, but I don't see the writers wanting to have two members in the hospital with everyone all worried about them. Because you also have to think that Reid will likely be injured early on in the episode because MGG was already hurt.

Which brings me to my next point. It would seem as though Reid will be getting shot and for a while I thought it may just be a shot to the leg but now I'm thinking they'll do something more serious (spinal injury.) And I know everyone's thrilled over that, but think about it: when characters are injured on tv shows, it's usually the next episode, maybe two and they're back to normal, good as new. MGG KILLED his knee. He just had another surgery and may be looking at yet another one in a few weeks. Which means, even when he is able to get out of the wheelchair, it will be on to crutches and probably a cane or something after that. That being said, Reid's injury will be obvious throughout the season which means a gunshot to the leg, while it could explain an long term injury, is not dramatic enough for television.

So, if I'm right about it being a serious injury and early in the episode, then it makes it even less likely Hotch will be fighting for his life.

Also, with MGG's injury as bad as it is, I have a feeling we will see him less simply because the poor guy needs to rest after his surgery/surgeries. My guess is there will be an episode in the beginning (maybe the third if they're filming it now) in which we don't see much of Reid at all then maybe another later down the road if he has another surgery. But as far as regular filming goes, I have a feeling we'll see him more than we normally see Garcia, but obviously less than normal.

Haha sorry for my ramblings but I'm just trying to look at the situation from a technical side of things. But admittedly I could be entirely wrong and Reid may just fall down and Hotch could be fighting for his life.

Dakotagirl823

[119]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 23
    The Reaper is such an interesting unsub that I was pleased to see him make an appearance in To Hell and Back. Since we will have a US Marshall involved in a six episode arc (if my memory is correct) this seems to be nothing more than long range planning on the part of the writing team. I don't believe that he will take screen time away from the other cast members but I do feel that MGG and Shemar's unforeseen accidents have caused the writers to go back to their computers and do some heavy rewritting of some of the scripts. I do think that we will see Reid contributing to cases via computer alongside Garcia and Morgan will no doubt do more walking than running.

One thing is certain, this is going to be quite an interesting season.

phf3947

[120]Aug 11, 2009
    The network programmers will not disappoint us. The two-part finale has been scheduled to be repeated on 9/9/09 and 9/16/09, respectively. Next stop: Season 5!