We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Season 7 speculation and discussion (may contain spoilers)

phf3947

[1]May 31, 2011
    • level: 71
    Now that AJ Cook and Paget Brewster are back, who and/or what would you like to see this season on Criminal Minds?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nutmeg0963

[3]May 31, 2011
    • level: 2

Hotch is an absolute must. I'd like for them to elaborate more on Reid's "mysterious headaches" (in other words, actually finish the storyline they started and conveniently picked up or dropped-as-needed last season). Actually, I wouldn't mind it either if they introduced a non-team member love interest for him (one that lasts more than one episode). Doesn't even have to be a girlfriend - how about having something GOOD happen to him for once? Poor guy's suffered enough to last him awhile. Prentiss has got alot of 'splaining to do now, but I think this female "James Bond 007" persona they've given her has plenty of potential. I'd also like for them to expand a little more on JJ and Hotchs' family lives. Would be nice to see or hear more about their sons.

RobertBoomer

[4]May 31, 2011
    • level: 3

I would like to see a love interest between two members of the team. Maybe Prentiss and Reid, or her and Morgan. I also want to have at least oe episode based around JJ's experiences from her promotion, which could lead her into either becoming a profiler on the team, or could give her room to grow as an individual. Also, I would like to see more of JJ's family, and have Will work on a case with the team again. I think it would be nice to see some more of Morgan kicking down doors, and more humanizing moments for the members on the team, mainly Hotch.

blue133

[5]May 31, 2011
    • level: 6

I will probably post a few times as ideas always seem to pop up in my head. First, I'd like to stress, please, please, no romance stories. I understand what you are saying about wanting something positive to happen to Reid nutmeg, but that doesn't necessitate any romance story and definitely no inter- team romance (I've seen how going down that road has killed one a many shows, in my opinion). Being that it is Reid, this would have to take an extraordinary amount of focus as he has never had girlfriend, is socially awkward, etc. It wouldn't be like a JJ who when she met up with Will was really no big deal because her dating was not out of the norm for her. As such, it didn't require any significant time. The same thing with Garcia and Kevin, and in earlier times, Hotch with Haley. These were/are relationships that don't require much more than a couple of scenes every few episodes. The show is about 42 or 43 minutes long and within that time things need to get going on many fronts. Coming out of the type of tumultuous season this show has had, I think they need to focus on strengthening the writing and getting the characters back in shape. The fallout with Hotch, JJ and Prentiss will be more than enough to keep them occupied. Also, getting the writing back up to par, I think, needs to be their chief concern season 7.

What I'd like to see is a return to genius Dr. Reid. How ironic that when the show focused on Reid's brilliance there wasn't this "Aww, poor Reid he needs a girlfriend," at the level that I've seen this season. Part of that for me has to do with this headache storyline. It has turned a once quirky, sometimes snarky, humorous, fun character into some sad recluse with earth shattering headaches that come and go at a whim. My main desire would be to drop that storyline like a bad headache and get back to what made Reid such a multi-dimensional and interesting character.

JJ, that will be interesting. Well, first off, please have her present the cases, please. The days of Garcia presenting the cases must end! I don't know how they are planning to integrate JJ back in the show, but presenting the cases must be part of whatever she will be doing at the BAU. I'm not really sure what type of duties JJ was performing at the State Department so it is hard for me to say how she will use what she has done there back at the BAU. It seems that JJ is a little more connected so maybe that may help in navigating things that the team may need on cases. As for Prentiss, whoo, that will certainly be interesting. In the article that was posted, the most recent article featuring an interview with Erica Messer, Messer said that the Prentiss character will absolutely be affected by her time away from the BAU. I have to admit, this kind of scares me because the way the writing went during season 6, if the same type of writing is employed season 7, I can see this turning into a train wreck fast! I am crossing everything that can possibly be crossed that some good writers have been brought on board for season 7. There are a lot of things that need to be delved into that if not done with skill can hit all sorts of bad bumps, not to mention, that the storytelling (profiling) needs the type of attention and care that was once given to it in earlier seasons.

Well, that is all. For now

Edited on 05/31/2011 5:41pm

blue133

[6]May 31, 2011

I told you there would be multiple posts from me, LOL....

Phf, I thought that was interesting what you said in a different thread about Rossi possibly knowing about Prentiss and that somehow tying into his meeting with JJ at the end of the season finale. Not that there should be a situation where such a secret is kept from the majority of the team, however, that was how the whole Prentiss exit storyline was written, butI digress. I never understood why Rossi wasn't let in on this secret. Considering how senior he is, and what type of relationship he has with Hotch, I would think that Hotch would automatically confide in Rossi. Maybe he has been told, or has learned (Rossi hasa way of learning things) that Prentiss is alive.

nutmeg0963

[7]May 31, 2011

Hahaha, you made a few good points Blue about the romance aspect. Eh, I've just always felt so bad for the guy - such a smart, good-hearted, awkward sweetheart who's always seemed much lonelier to me than any of the other characters. It probably would be better to start him out with a dog...or a cat...or a potted plant...but between the hazards of his job, some of his past storylines, and his dysfunctional family history, I guess that's why I've been kind of rooting for the writers to (one day) throw a little extra happiness or companionship his way.

blue133

[8]May 31, 2011

Maybe he has been taking care of Sergio, Prentiss' cat,

nutmeg0963

[9]May 31, 2011

Lol! True, forgot about that critter. Oh, and Kevin...haven't we not seen him around in a fairly long time? I'm thinking he hasn't appeared in at least a year or two or so. (Then again, I didn't watch the last few episodes of this season so there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about.) My prediction for Prentiss's return is either A) the team personally takes down Ian Doyle, then JJ and Hotch let the "proverbial cat out of the bag"...or B) JJ already has news that Ian croaked, and that's that. Whichever way leaves the end result with Prentiss squeaking back into the BAU.

CM1Fan

[10]May 31, 2011
    • level: 4

I so agree with Blue...no romances. Please!!!!! That just mucks up the team and their purpose. Definitely have to have Hotch back. I'd like to see either a bit more tension between him and Strauss or a resolution of their differences. I would like to see some really interesting cases; ones that make sense as to why the unsubs are unsubs and what it takes to really catch them. Rossi was supposed to interview several evil unsubs. Maybe some of them can break out of jail, or have fans/copy cats. That way we can find out more about them and how the "old guys" like Rossi and was it Max(?) caught them. I'd like to see more of Hotch and Jack at the beginning or end of a few shows showing how he is growing up and how Hotch is handling parenthood. Same for JJ with Henry. For fun, I'd like to see some little teasers in the background. For a few shows there were signs on trucks or in a subway that said Bernero Brothers. I started really looking for them in each show. Can those be renewed? Kind of like looking for Hitchcock in each of his movies. Also the background music adds (or detracts) so muchto the mood of a show. And definitely keep up the quotations at the beginning and end of each show. They have become such a hallmark of the show. Like Blue, I am sure I will think of other things, but this is it for now.

phf3947

[11]May 31, 2011
    Here's something interesting from TV Guide for discussion:

Question: So glad Paget Brewster will be back on Criminal Minds next season. But what does that mean for the Doyle story line?
    Answer: Doyle will certainly be back, but probably not for long. "The only way Prentiss can return to us is if Ian Doyle is destroyed," executive producer Erica Messer tells us. "We all love Timothy V. Murphy and want him to have some screen time. But our challenge is to expand on their story and not repeat what [we've already] learned."

blue_fish24

[12]May 31, 2011
    • level: 18
    blue- I would love to find out that Reid has been taking care of Sergio! Excellent idea!

I think the easiest way to re-introduce Doyle would be just for the team to hear of his death, but I think it is more likely they will somehow have another case related to him (e.g. Outfoxed, where the case was related to the Reaper, but indirectly). Then perhaps someone will figure out that Emily isn't actually dead (my bet is Garcia with her computers, or Reid) and that revelation will spark a search for Doyle.

My wishes for Season 7: more BAU family scenes!

Lady_Lancaster

[13]May 31, 2011
    • level: 41

As has been said quite a few times, I really want to see Thomas Gibson back,then the "family" will be complete. Having said that, it is imperative that there are good writers on board because no matter how excellent the cast may be, bad scripts and characterization etc. equals bad episodes. I would alsolike to see a few answers to some unanswered questions - Reid's headaches fully explained, whether or not he has completely managed to control his addiction to narcotics etc. I don't like red herrings so I hope there is some closure.

I will be interested to see how Seaver is written out of the show. Parhaps, as has been said, she will transfer to another department or something of that nature. Along those lines, assuming Thomas re-signs *please*, I hope that the team dynamic is brought back and that we actually see some profiling and not just giant leaps from one place to a conclusion which is not plausible. Absolutely, J.J. must present the cases again as Garcia never should have been doing it in the first place. I hope that the "changes" mentioned with regard to J.J. aren't too dramatic as I would hate for her much-loved character to be somebody we couldn't relate to.

No romances between team members, please! I hate shipping as I find it has ruined so many shows. I would also like to go back to the formula whereby we don't see the identity of the unsub in the first few minutes and then wait while the team catches up. That was one of the things I found hardest to bear about Season 6.

Finally, the characters behaving like themselves again inside of cardboard cutouts would be nice but that will be down to the writers. Naturally, how Emily's return is handled is going to be very important too.

That's about all I can think of for now. Smile

Solnisko

[14]Jun 1, 2011

I want to see Hotch back! I would like to see Hotch saving Prentiss life and killing Doyle! I think it will be great! Something like that: ... Doyle find a place where Prentiss is hiding. BAU team comes to save her and take out to other place, but here comes Doyle with the team and shooting begins. Hotch gives his bullet-proof vest to Prentiss and withdraws her by court yards to the car and here appears Doyle...

OverseasFan

[15]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 8

What I desperately hope to see in Season 7 is the return of good storytelling. The 'show, not tell' mentality, the concise and intense way this show used to be. No more huge character arcs. No overexposition, no overdramatization. I hope to see the return of subtelty this season.

In other words, I'd love for them to not make a huge fuss about how Doyle is eliminated. I'd certainly love to see how the team dealing with Prentiss's return and their trust issues with JJ and Hotch interwoven into the usual process of solving a case, that is, a meaningful glimpse here and there, a pungent line while presenting a profile, a two-liner tension between characters while interviewing a witness, et cetera.I'm weary of having the characters 1)say everything and not make the viewer feel anything, and 2)take up the screentime only to turn themselves into clich├ęd interpretations of stereotypical character types (i.e. Reid is sucked out of his mult-dimensionality, Prentiss is turned into 007, Hotch is only just an appearance and nothing behind the facade, and I won't even mention what Rossi and Garcia have become).

What I wish to see is a Season 7 which will make us forget that Season 6 has existed at all.

phf3947

[16]Jun 1, 2011
    OverseasFan wrote:
    What I wish to see is a Season 7 which will make us forget that Season 6 has existed at all.

This idea gets my vote! Just toss the show into the wayback machine and poof! back to the way things were. But not anywhere near that Billy Flynn cliffhanger, where the unsub had such bad dental hygiene and general ickiness that it was obvious that he was the bad guy. Aren't serial killers supposed to appear nonthreatening? Described as a quiet person who wouldn't hurt a fly? Someone like Frank? Or Ted Bundy? The writers forgot about us, the true (and highly intelligent) fans, somewhere at the end of Season 5. This show is about serial killers -- and family loyalty -- not about someone named Doyle or cadets pretending to be seasoned FBI profilers. And if Prentiss wants anyone to be embraced, it should be us!

If a show doesn't evolve, it'll be dragged down into stagnation. When this evolution happens, however, just let it make sense and don't ignore what has happened before. Prentiss has a cat. Where is that darn cat? Continuity, writers. Bring back continuity!

iHeartThisShow

[17]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 5

I got my half of my season 7 wish already Paget is back...just waiting for TG.

I just hope that when Prentiss does come back everything isn't tied into a little bow and handed to us. Iwould like to see some sort of adjustment period for her and the team and as always I'm hoping for some H/P lovin' (ok well maybe a hug or something)...

Speaking of Sergio it would be sweet to see Jack as the one taking care of him, no?

Andromede

[18]Jun 1, 2011

First of all, I am thrilled to have AJ and Paget back on board for Season 7.

And I'm also relieved that we won't get any more of the Seaver character (nothing against Rachel Nichols, but her chararcter was ill-conceived and never really fit in with the team).

Now we desperately need Thomas Gibson back too !!! I can't imagine Criminal Minds without its charismatic leader !!

As for the content of season 7, I personnaly DO NOT want any kind of romantic relationship between any of the main characters. We (almost) got our show back from the nightmare that was season 6, I hope they won't mess with it any more by turning it into a "Melrose Place at the BAU".

I want strong storylines focusing on profiling. I want to see Reid back as the resident genius he is. I want to know why he's got his headaches, and I hope it's not schizophrenia, as I don't want him to be forced to leave the BAU (that's what scares me most, as MGG's contract ends at the end of season 7).

As for Prentiss, I can't wait to see what they will come up with to bring her back to the team. I expect a lot of drama in the wake of the "lie", and the fact that Hotch and JJ knew about it.

Oh, and I want more of Hotch too (I'm trying to convince myself that everything will be all right and that TG will sign a new contract soon) !!!

Anyway, I really hope they'll get the show back on tracks !!

PS: English is not my native language, so please, forgive my mistakes ! ;-)

Finnegan77

[19]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 27
    Oh, Overseas and Phf, I so agree about the return of subtlety. I don't need to be hit over the head with melodrama or ridiculously obvious 'bad guy v. good guy' thinking. Give me an unsub like Norman in "Normal." Or like Adam/Amanda in "Conflicted." Or the original Fox. Give me tension and suspense and the build-up of rising action and climax! Give me characters who act like themselves and not teen-aged whiners or over-sexed, leering slimeballs.

Allow Reid to glimpse Prentiss out of the corner of his eye and become agitated by his apparent 'hallucinations.' Have JJ torn between his anxiety and her promise to keep quiet. Give me some angst and then slam me with a great resolution that lets the characters have real feelings and reactions to Emily's survival. Easy forgiveness? Yeah, I know they only have a limited time to re-integrate the Prentiss character, but let's have more than lip-service to the pain she - and JJ and Hotch - have caused. No - "Oh, well, she was following orders, who wants to go out for a drink?" But no campy melodrama, either. Yep, I guess we'll need some writers who have more than two brain cells to rub together or who fuel their creativity with more than Mountain Dew and cheese curls.

I'd love to see creativity in the evolution of profiles. I'd love to see unsubs who don't get caught at the end of 42 minutes. I'd love to see a glimpse of some of the other things profilers do. Give Morgan and Reid a consultation together (like Hotch and Reid did once). Give Hotch and Rossi an old cold case to bond over and show us veteran profiling chops! Give Emily, JJ, and Garcia some girl time!!!