Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Season 7 speculation and discussion (may contain spoilers)

CMFAN29

[321]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 1
    The posting by CMJUNKIE was absolutely brilliant!!!! I miss the OLD Criminal Minds where there was lots of profiling & team interaction. Yes, we did get a little team interaction in the first two episodes, and I do not want to say that I absolutely hated the first two episodes. To Janine Barrois' credit, episode 7.02 was MUCH better than the 13th Step Episode. I do not want readers of this post to think that I am bashing the show or its writers because I am one of the most dedicated fans of Criminal Minds since I have never missed one episode and watched reruns multiple times! Yet, I do not feel that season 6 and especially season 7 are nearly the samecaliberas the first 5 seasons. Sometimes I feel that I am watching a different show!!! Although the first two episodes were not nearly the same quality of episode 100, I would be somewhat happy if the season stayed this way since I feel that these episodes were at least tolerable.

I would like to hope that Season 7 will get much better, and maybe it will since I cannot predict what every episode will be like. However, the more I read news on upcoming episodes, interviews, & especially post- episode twitter chats, the more disillusioned & disappointed I become!! I mentioned in a few postings before this one that while I respect other fans opinions, I am not at all impressed with the idea of Hotch getting a romance this season. While Messer never 100% said that Hotch would, it seems like both Messer & Gibson hinted that Hotch needs to move on & get a relationship. I have always supported more creative story lines instead of romances on Criminal Minds for Hotch and even other characters. Now I just read Janine Sherman Barrois' (the writer of the abysmal 13th Step episode) CM_SET Report Twitter chat which fuels my concern that the show is changing to appeal to a particular set of fans. She indicated that there will be LOTS OF LOVE even for Emily's cat Sergio. Also, the fact that Barrois is writing episode 10 on Hotch in a "different light" has me very concerned. What does this mean? This is my opinion, but this does not sound good not especially in the context of the Twitter chat!! I was very opposed to a Hotch romance, but now it seems that many of the agents will find romance this season since Barrios said there will be lots of love. Is this realistic? It seems at times like the main theme for Season 7 of Criminal Minds is romance not profiling or team interaction! Leave the fans guess about the personal lives/relationships of agents. To me, this is much more fun. Yes, some personal tidbits are ok such as Reid dealing with his mom or Hotch spending time with his son, but it appears that Season 7 might be a quasi - soap opera of love interests. I SURE HOPE NOT!! HAVE THE WRITTERS FORGOTTON WHAT MADE THE SHOW POPULAR IN THE FIRST PLACE? IS THE OLD CRIMINAL MINDS WITH THE EXCELLENT TEAM INTERACTION & ORGINAL PROFILING A THING OF THE PAST? Also, Barrois seems to be giving in to some fans demands like showing Hotch with scars, and I hope Hotch "doing the butterfly" just refers to him swimming in one of the episodes. Do not get me wrong, I do not want to dislike the show nor do I want it to end. In fact, I wish for many more seasons if the writers can write quality stories. But, I am not at all happy with what I am reading so far concerning the season and fear that the writers are running out of quality storylines!!I wish that I am wrong!! Why change the show when the ratings have been consistently high?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ccchhheeelllsss

[322]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 4

I haven't really been watching Criminal Minds, but I saw season 6 finale and I had to see if Prentiss died. I've been watch season 7 and I think that Prentiss and Morgan should be together. When she "died", he spent 7 month on his own finding her killer and he did. I don't know what you guys think, but I think they're cute together!!!

phf3947

[324]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 71
    This information actually is from a reliable source

'Criminal Minds' scoop: Former 'Dirty Sexy Money' star to guest as [spoiler] 's love interest

CMFAN29

[325]Oct 17, 2011
    I know many people will disagree with me, but I think I am allowed to voice my opinion concerning this matter.I respect other people's opinions, but for me a show with Hotch getting a love interest is not the same show to me! We already have love interests for JJ and Garcia. This is enough! Even Morgan is not getting a love interest since he is busy chasing criminals. And, Hotch has more time than Morgan? This is new to me. When does Hotch have time for another relationship at least right now? And, what happened to the idea that Hotch will be close friends with JJ this season? I really hate the idea of Hotch getting a romance since I think he should spend more time with his son and is not yet ready to move on from Haley. The writers in my opinion are making a huge mistake and can think of much more creative story lines for Hotch. We got one episode in season 7 which mentions Haley's death but that is it? Now Hotch just moves on to someone new? I thought Hotch would not get a love interest until the end of the show. I do not think the writers are really exploring the full potential of his character anymore. I wanted the writers to be more creative, but I guess today's news confirmed that Hotch is the one who gets a romantic interest. I am so upset and so disappointed. I thought this might happen according to previous news, but I held onto one last glimmer of hope that it was for another character. I guess if Thomas Gibson wants Hotch to get a love interest the writers will listen. I just did not think it would occur until the end of Season 7. Now it appears that this love interest will be introduced in episode 7.10 in November. How predictable and boring. Even if I wanted Hotch to find love someday, I do not think I would want it on the show since I know this might divide some of the fan base. Before this happened, I really think that the fan base was more unified. Why is a love interest for Hotch necessary? It is not! I am not even a Prentiss & Hotch shipper. Hotch can be happy without a new love interest. I feel that so many people equate "true" happiness with relationships. Why does smiling for Hotch mean a relationship? Many people never marry again after someone dies and not everyone is happy in a relationship. I feel so sad today that I will be saying goodbye to this show as of tomorrow. I loved the show, and I watched the show mainly because of Hotch. I thought episode 7.04 was excellent, but now I find out this news. Criminal Minds was not only entertainment for me but was also an important part of my life. To me Criminal Minds has officially ended today since it is not the show I once loved & looked forward to every Wednesday. Someday I guess I will watch the Season 1-6 DVDs again because this is all that is left in my opinion of one of the best shows that ever existed on TV. I know people will not understand why I would stop watching the show for this reason, but I just cannot watch anymore. I wanted team interaction this season & personal aspects that did not include love interests. If I knew this would have happened, I would have not wanted a Season 7 of the show. As a once loyal fan, I am finally saying goodbye to Criminal Minds & Hotch after 6 years! Thanks for letting me post my opinions on this blog.

Finnegan77

[326]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 27
    Oh, don't leave us! This is upsetting news for many fans that believe the whole "personal lives" focus they've threatened us with this season will become more farce than profiling show, but please, please give the show a chance to surprise us. While I agree that getting Hotch back in bed with someone is NOT a priority I would like to see, maybe Thomas wants to find some growth points for his character that soften him a bit, and not just for Jack. Maybe this big "romance" will take place very firmly in the background after their initial meeting and we'll simply get a more relaxed, less formal Hotch within his team. Don't bow out before the curtain even goes up on this "relationship."

Although the personal interaction between team members has been a bit awkward and forced in many of these early episodes, I'm hoping the writers will find a great balance between case and personal and that they'll surprise me with excellent characterization.

OverseasFan

[327]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 8

Finnegan77 wrote:
    Although the personal interaction between team members has been a bit awkward and forced in many of these early episodes, I'm hoping the writers will find a great balance between case and personal and that they'll surprise me with excellent characterization.

Amen, amen, Finnegan. I too grew rather sour upon reading the news about Hotch getting a love interest, but again, I've always believed that anything can work if it's handled in the right way. For CM, I would hope that we'd only get a glimpse of this new lady, just to introduce her to us, and then she'd be in the background much the way Kevin for Garcia is. How often do we see Kevin, how much does he influnce the show or the characters? Little. So, being optimistically confindent that the crew of CM will know how to handle this, I'm actually rather curious to see how it'll affect Hotch, and of course, the show.

But again... I am so glad they didn't take the inter-team romance route that maybe it's why I'm almost sympathetic to the idea of an outsider.Undecided

lynna12000

[328]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 21
    Just because Hotch has a 'love interest' doesn't mean it will last long. Or, that we will actually see the person. How often have we seen Will? He's been mentioned, but not that often, or for long.

Dakotagirl823

[329]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 23
    OverseasFan wrote:

Finnegan77 wrote:

Amen, amen, Finnegan. I too grew rather sour upon reading the news about Hotch getting a love interest, but again, I've always believed that anything can work if it's handled in the right way. For CM, I would hope that we'd only get a glimpse of this new lady, just to introduce her to us, and then she'd be in the background much the way Kevin for Garcia is. How often do we see Kevin, how much does he influnce the show or the characters? Little. So, being optimistically confindent that the crew of CM will know how to handle this, I'm actually rather curious to see how it'll affect Hotch, and of course, the show.

But again... I am so glad they didn't take the inter-team romance route that maybe it's why I'm almost sympathetic to the idea of an outsider.Undecided

I'm also pleased that the show isn't going the inter-team romance for Hotch, mainly because dating another team member would be out of character for Hotch. My take is that Hotch will be very cautious about entering a relationship with any female as Jack is and always will be his #1 priority. Still, it would be interesting if his new love interest was also a single parent so they would have something in common.

phf3947

[330]Oct 18, 2011
    From TV Guide:

Question: Anything cool coming up on Criminal Minds?

Answer: You've heard that Dirty Sexy Money's Bellamy Young will play a museum curator who could be Agent Hotchner's new love interest, right? Well, I'm hearing that she isn't the only woman coming into Hotch's life. Look for him to cross paths with one of his former female students who is now a detective with a Northern California police department who is assisting the BAU with an upcoming case.

phf3947

[331]Oct 19, 2011
    From TV Guide: Criminal Minds' Joe Mantegna: Rossi's Ex-Wife's Visit Is Bittersweet

CM1Fan

[332]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 4
    Oh. Please.....Tell me there isn't going to be a love triangle with Hotch in the middle. I think this whole romance stuff is nonsense and a way to fill up time. I don't watch CM for its "soap" appeal. And personally, I don't want to see the Hotch character softened up any. I find the strong, silent leader much more appealing than a soft, love-struck, never pull out your gun type. Just my opinion.

phf3947

[333]Nov 1, 2011
    Are there any Southland fans out (besides me) who also watch Criminal Minds? Matt Mitovich has an exclusive: Criminal Minds Pulls Southland's Shawn Hatosy Into the Ring

CMFAN29

[334]Nov 16, 2011
    I agree with CM1Fan about a Hotch relationship especially if he has 2 different girlfriends/flings. Since my last response, I have decided that I would watch episodes of Criminal Minds until episode 7.10 aired.Maybe this was a mistake since I was becoming too invested in the show again. I am saddened by the fact that Hotch will be getting a romantic interest this season. My fears were 100% confirmed today by Kirsten Vangsness' interview in which she officially stated that Hotch will be getting a romantic interest. From this interview, it does not seem to me that Hotch's love interest is going to just be one date. I guess I knew this - as evident in my earlier responses - but part of me denied this fact until I read today's interview. I guess I should not be opposed to a Hotch romance since some fans of the show seem to want this, but as a dedicated fan of Hotch, I cannot really stand to see Hotch get anyone new(at least this season). I believe wholeheartedly that the writers and producers of the show are making a HUGE mistake concerning a Hotch romance for Season 7. I am not a Hotch and Prentiss shipper, but as a fan of Hotch I am opposed to a love interest for him. I believe that the writers could have explored other aspects of Hotch's character first. While Season 7 was mediocre at best, this news totally ruins the rest of the season for me.I know Criminal Minds is just a TV show, but for some reason I am really feeling disheartened and dejected concerning the fact that there are only 2 episodes left before Hotch enters into a romantic relationship, and I stop watching the show forever. To me, Hotch was the best character on TV, and I really respected him. I have already unfollowed all my twitter accounts concerning anything to do with Criminal Minds. I have watched the show since the first episode and after 6 years and 9 episodes it feels like a terrible loss since I invested so much time and energy into the show and in ensuring that Thomas Gibson returned for Season 7. I feel that all my efforts last summer were for nothing since I will not be watching all of Season 7. I would have rather the show ended than it continue like this. I am also unhappy with the direction of the show concerning other aspects. In a spoiler today, it said that in episode 7.13 Garcia's "shower" gets used a lot referring to her relationship with Kevin. I really do not want to see physical demonstrations of affection on Criminal Minds. I guess this is ok for other shows but not Criminal Minds. It sounds like this show is becoming a soap opera not the once intellectual and sophisticated show that I loved. To me Season 7 was already lacking, but now I do not really want to watch this show any longer. I guess when the show becomes more of a burden concerning what the writers are going to do to ruin the characters, it is time to stop watching. Wednesday nights will seem so empty for a long time. I know that no show will ever replace Criminal Minds(at least what it once was).

phf3947

[335]Nov 20, 2011
    You heard it here first... The episode written by Jim Clemente is called "Foundation" and will be aired in February 2012.

CMJunkie

[336]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 8
    YAY!! I was going to ask when a Jim Clemente episode was coming... I am excited about this one!

phf3947

[337]Nov 20, 2011
    I'm excited too! Last season we had to wait until the penultimate episode, and he had to work around two missing characters. I'm not sure if he'll have time to answer questions here in the forum (he's working on his own show "Profilers" for A&E), but as soon as I know I'll let everyone know. He'll most likely do the Q&A thing on CM Set Report.

CMFAN29

[338]Nov 27, 2011
    According to Rick Dunkle's Twitter site, it appears that Hotch's so called love interest will not just appear in Episode 7.10 (this was bad enough) but also in 7.14 and who knows how many other times this season. This follows the so called pathetic Garcia "shower scene" episode. Dunkle said Hotch does something that is NOT case related. I wonder what it is? It does not take a genius to figure this one out. I am almost 98% sure that he is referring to Hotch and his love interest. This really disheartens me. Messer said Season 7 is for the fans. Well, this season does not appeal to me. Yes, we wanted some personal tidbits but not all the fans want to see love interests. The show for me is now ruined and so is Hotch's character who has been OOC in other episodes this season. So I guess Hotch's romance is not just one date that he has. This Season is turning into an even worse nightmare by the minute. I would have been happy with the ok story lines of the first 9 episodes. Now we get a romance on Criminal Minds for one of my favorite characters. Maybe the writers can give Reid a love interest too since he lacks social skills then the show can officially turn into a soap opera not the once intelligent profiling show that it once was. And, maybe Prentiss needs a love interest too since she never had one. Love interest story lines divide fans. Writers why did you have to do this? I weathered the storm of last season even if I was not impressed JJ and Emily left. But, now my favorite character Hotch is changing.This is the last straw for me. When I heard of a Hotch romance, I considered not watching, but had hope that it be just one date. Now I do not think this is the case since Messer in one interview called a process concerning Hotch's love interest. I do not care if it takes up only one minute of screen time. It is the whole idea of a Hotch love interest that bothers me. I am 99.9% that I am officially done with the show. I did not want it to end like this, and I would have rather the show ended before this happened. I wanted to watch the series finale. This is never going to happen for me. I enjoy posting on this site but cannot watch the show any longer. Knowing this information even makes it hard to watch old episodes with Hotch. Maybe I should have never invested myself so much in a character or a show because now I feel like crying over a show which once gave me so much joy.

phf3947

[339]Dec 2, 2011
    Here's a spoilery article that discusses the upcoming 150th episode (titled "Unknown Subject"): Criminal Minds: Thomas Gibson Teases 150th Episode

Alydarbaby

[340]Dec 3, 2011
    • level: 6

phf3947 wrote:
    Are there any Southland fans out (besides me) who also watch Criminal Minds? Matt Mitovich has an exclusive: Criminal Minds Pulls Southland's Shawn Hatosy Into the Ring

OH HECK YEAH!!! I think Southland is one of the best shows on TV. I'm soooooo glad it was saved by another network. I'm really anxious for this episode.