Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Season 7 speculation and discussion (may contain spoilers)

Lady_Lancaster

[61]Jun 11, 2011
    • level: 41

I hope that isn't the case because he's one member of the team I would not watch the show without. It just wouldn't work for me. I had been wondering though, given that he had some negative things to say in the previous interview, whether he might be cutting his losses and therefore, not actually care whether TPTB like what he has to say about them or not. If he is leaving, they can't make him hold back on his opinions but, again, I truly hope that he and some superb writers DO return.

By the way, CMJ, I think your earlier post got it in one. Let's have some answers about these characters instead of speculation and wildly changing stories.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OverseasFan

[62]Jun 11, 2011
    • level: 8
    phf3947 wrote:
    From TV Guide: Thomas Gibson: I'm Not Certain I'm Returning to Criminal Minds. We really need to be on the lookout for that interview to air on Sunday.

How royally messed up is this? Subject the viewers to a torturous season just to wisen up and hire the actresses back in the end, only to push the main actor to his limits and lose him?

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth all this drama. No Hotch, no Criminal Minds. Period.

CMJunkie

[63]Jun 11, 2011
    The contracts cause a lot more headache than the "season finale cliffhangers"...... I'm about *this close* to just saying forget it, I'm not that attached to the show anymore so it would be no headache just to hang it up altogether. I am not amused by the yearly angst of if CBS is going to re-sign the actors / actresses - how is it even an option?

blue133

[64]Jun 11, 2011
    • level: 6

Ugh, what is wrong with these people!!! It is like they are trying to purposely ruin this how by driving away the fans with all of this contract nonsense! This year it is Thomas Gibson, next year it will be MGG and JM, maybe even possibly Paget because I am not sure how long the option they Studio exercised on her is good for. Is it good only for season 7, or beyond? If beyond, then there is the possibility that she will either try and renegotiate or she may just walk altogether due to the treatment she received from ABC Studios and CBS.

I am getting fed up with all of the behind the scenes drama with this show. ABC Studios and CBS has a hit on their hands, depite the massive damage they did to it season 6, something that they should be thanking Gibson, Moore, Gubler, and Kirsten for. If it hadn't of been for those actors, with all of the garbage they subjected this show to this season (poor writing and a ridiculous new character that was not well received at all) this show would have taken a massive dive. Not to mention the fact that ABC Studios and CBS has been reaping all sorts of financial gains from this show that have been bolstered, for them, by the fact that the majority of these actors have been married to contracts that completely undercut their worth to the show considering how popular this show has become. These actors are among the lowest paid per episode in the industry relative to the success of the show that they are starring on and now when it is time to pay up ABC and CBS want to act like the well is dry.

I suspect that one of the things that is holding up the Gibson's contract is money. Of course, I can't say that for sure as it could be a number of things, among which may include money. If it is money, then they need to meet him where he is at, at least most of the way. I sincerely doubt that Gibson is asking for 2 million dollars per episode or a private jet to fly him home every weekend. Ugh!

Lady_Lancaster

[65]Jun 11, 2011
    OverseasFan wrote:
    phf3947 wrote:
    From TV Guide: Thomas Gibson: I'm Not Certain I'm Returning to Criminal Minds. We really need to be on the lookout for that interview to air on Sunday.

How royally messed up is this? Subject the viewers to a torturous season just to wisen up and hire the actresses back in the end, only to push the main actor to his limits and lose him?

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth all this drama. No Hotch, no Criminal Minds. Period.

That's eactly how I feel. No Hotch, no me. There has been enough upheaval in the last 12 months to last for a lifetime and it's gone beyond the point of ridiculous.

Lady_Lancaster

[66]Jun 11, 2011

Exactly, CMJ. We should be able to only be concerning ourselves with what will or will not happen in Season 7, not all the rubbish that is going on behind the scenes with contracts. Are we to go through another Summer of "Do we or don't we?" with regard to having Thomas Gibson? Methinks I just will not bother. I have always loved the show, (Season 6 being the ultimate eception, of course) but all this behind the scenes squabbling and hanging actors out to dry is going beyond a joke. If they haven't figured out yet that they NEED Thomas Gibson if the show is to perform well in the ratings, then I think they should do some more very careful thinking.

phf3947

[67]Jun 13, 2011
    • level: 71
    Article from TVLine: Criminal Minds Star [Joe Mantegna] Feels 'Confident' That Thomas Gibson Will Be Back

Article from TV Guide: Joe Mantegna Confident Criminal Minds Costar Will Return
    Edited on 06/13/2011 3:46pm

iHeartThisShow

[68]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 5

Joe has been confident about a lot of things recently lmao...so I'm going to go with him on this as well.

Redbud9

[69]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 1

LOVE LOVE LOVE this show and I've turned 4 friends on to it just this month! Here's what I'd like to see:

1)Confirm Seaver is gone. She's a terrible actress, her lines are weak and she never fit the team.Don't care how she leaves as long as it's permanent

2) Hotch MUST come back, period, end of story. His part is crucial to the success of the show. This is a hit show we're talking about so the network is making money....cough it up CBS.

3)I like the Doyle character. (and I like his giraffe commercial). I don't mind if he sticks around in some way, but not as a constant threat to Prentiss, we've already done that. Otherwise, if he does go, just let it be an announcement made by Hotch,no need to make a deal out of it. If they have to bring him back with a final shootout (like IHEART wrote about) then Morgan should be the one to kill Doyle and save Prentiss because they have a special bond. And maybe he should have Emily's cat because he's the last one you'd think would want to be taking care of a cat....so it speaks volumes of his feelings for Emily (and NOT sexual)/

3) Grow Reid's hair back. I like it long. Love this character. More Reid.

4) Rossi is a great actor, and his back story is rich. Use him more.

5) As for JJ, I'm afraid I'm in the minority here, but I never really cared for her. I didn't think she fit in. Has a tendency to overact, and she always looked like a high school cheerleader instead of an FBI agent in an elite team. Not a very good actress, sorry.

Storylines? I'm not good like that...but may one of them goes on vacation and comes up missing. An unsub has taken them and the team sets out to rescue them. The agent taken uses all they know about dealing with criminals just to stay alive, we're left guessing as to whether they have succumbed toStockholmSyndrome or are just going along with the unsub until rescued.

CM1Fan

[70]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 4
    Geez:
    I go on vacation for a week and come back to this news. They can't seriously be thinking of not meeting whatever Gibson asks for. I am sure it is not unreasonable considering how much he adds to the show. I am going to say prayers, light candles, cross all my fingers, and do whatever is necessary to make sure Montegna is right and that Gibson will sign. Please, please, PLEEZE........

katster11

[71]Jun 15, 2011

I was psyched to find out that JJ is coming back, but is it true? Is Prentice back too!!!! If that is true then the show will rock AGAIN! I love those two characters. Prentice has really added a lot to the show. She is so believable and natural. Well for that matter, so are JJ, Penelope,Derek,Hodge, Reid and Rossi too! They truly embody a cohesive work team, and make you believe that they are FBI agents. These seven really need to remain. When characters that really "gel" together start leaving a show, the show is never the same again. I used to love CSI because I was once actually a CSI on a volunteer basis. I did it for almost four years, and although our lab was not that high tech, we did use many of the same tools. But most important, we were a real team. There really were CSIs like Grissom and Warrick on my team (yes really) and honestly, when they left, that show was never the same. I believe it is still really popular, but I can't seem to get into it anymore. I truly hope the execs read this stuff and take it to heart. Criminal Minds is absolutely my favorite, and it is because of the characters. The seven main characters. Even Penelope's love interest who happens to share my last name is terrific! Oh and JJs hubby too! He rocks as well! It would be nice to see some happiness for Reid, but first bring BOTH JJ AND Prentice back! Oh, and these head aches of Reid's , well lets just say, they better disappear, and not be a foreshadowing of his leaving too! That will really tick me off!! Besides, he is JJ's son's godfather-he absolutely CAN NOT go anywhere!

RobertBoomer

[72]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 3

I have to agree with you up to not like JJ. She is my favorite character, along with Prentiss. I think her reactions to situations are quite suiting for the show because she is the gate way between the BAU and the families, and that must cause some sort of personal connection to certain situations. I love AJ Cook and the role she plays.

1) I think that if Thomas Gibson doesn't sign for a contract for season 7 (I hope he does though), I think that JJ should become Unit Chief, and Hotch could take over Strauss' position and guest star on the show from time to time.

2) I believe that the show should emphasize Reid's IQ like in previous seasons.

3) The final think I believe is going to happen is that, or want to happen is that when Prentiss returns, she could use the skills she learned from Interpol, and she could apply it to working in the BAU.

OverseasFan

[73]Jun 16, 2011
    I've actually been hearing that JJ becoming new Unit Chief idea at a lot of places. Where does this idea come from? As far as we know, JJ never even took the profiling classes; how can she be qualified to be chief of Behavioral Analysis Unit? Besides, even if she were qualified, how plausible would that be when you have Rossi, and Morgan, who has already done an excellent job as unit chief before?

Finnegan77

[74]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 27
    It is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard lately, I agree. Press liaison. Low woman on the totem pole. She doesn't have the 1) education or 2) the years of experience with the FBI to come close to a position like that.

And then, I remind myself, these are the writers who put an academy cadet on an "elite" team of profilers. Riiiiight. Unfortunately, anything's possible.

Kingtherodeo

[75]Jun 17, 2011

I actually liked this season, I mean obviously it was awful having JJ and Prentiss go, but I still really enjoyed it.

Season 7- I cant wait for JJs return, when the team finds out the truth about Emily its the perfect oppurtunity for amazing writing.

-Seaver- I actually feel sorry for the actress, I havent warmed to her because shes basically a copy of JJ. She actually looks like Aj and Paget morphed together. They should of tried to make her differnt but I guess they were worried about pissing the fans off even more.

Garcia needs to take a step back..Im fed up with the character...they should kill Kevin off at the end of the season or just quit or something.

Hopefully there will be a lot of scenes, exploring the betrayal of the frienships..

CM1Fan

[76]Jun 18, 2011
    • level: 4
    I love the JJ character, but in no way can see her as Unit Chief. As stated earlier, she never took the profiling classes and said she wasn't interested in doing so. I think the likely choices would be Morgan or Rossi. Saying all that, I just cannot even think about Hotch not being unit chief. He is my favorite character. He is the perfect chief/leader of the team. I will harp on it again, they just HAVE to re-sign Gibson. The team would not be the same without him.

phf3947

[77]Jun 18, 2011
    CM1Fan wrote:
    I think the likely choices would be Morgan or Rossi.

Even if the New York field office does want him, Morgan is too much of a hothead (and hot dog) to be Unit Chief at Quantico. in Hotch's absence, Rossi would make more sense because he's been there already. Besides, Morgan might pull his slow-clap routine at a crime scene and everyone would start laughing

blue133

[78]Jun 18, 2011
    • level: 6

No, not the slow clap!

I always thought it was weird that Rossi wasn't made the temp Unit Chief when Hotch stepped down during the Reaper storyline as Rossi is more senior in rank than Morgan.

phf3947

[79]Jun 19, 2011
    Blue, your Rossi vs. Morgan comment reminded me of something that happened elsewhere a few weeks ago. Someone challenged me with a comment that there is no such title as Senior Supervisory Special Agent (as used for Gideon and Rossi). Technically, that is correct. Since this is sometimes the CM Learning Channel, I thought I'd repeat my rebuttal here, which came from a very reliable source. The culture of the FBI, like other law enforcement agencies, assigns unofficial titles to the ranking members of the squad. "Senior" is a term of respect used within the Unit to refer to the SSA who has been on the Unit the longest or the one who is next in line to retire. One rarely ever refers to one's self with that term, but others do as a sign of respect.

So if Morgan were to be assigned the role as Unit Chief in Hotch's absence, Rossi would still be the Senior SSA. IMHO, that would make as much sense as promoting a cadet, who is still in the Academy, to the BAU. Just saying...

Lady_Lancaster

[80]Jun 20, 2011

Is there an actual deadline with regard to a date when they will have to decide Thomas Gibson's future with the show or will they 'film around' him until a contractual decision is made that is agreeable to all parties? I assume, although I'm not working with an American show deadline, that things will have to be sewn up one way or the other fairly soon? Also, as I haven't been online much, I may have missed it, but when does Season 7 filming actually commence? Thanks.