Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

The Unsubs.

Finnegan77

[21]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 27
    The previous unsub was the soldier from 'Distress'.  That was a very sad story, and PTSD is still a very misunderstood ailment especially in legal circles.  It has only been used successfully as a defense a few times, although quite a number of serial killers tried to use it over the years, especially after the Vietnam War.  Even with the poetic license used by the writers, the episode was one of the best this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BAUCTU

[22]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 14
    I don't think there is much we need to analyse on this one. PTSD is a terrible thing that so many people have to live with. He didn't choose what happened to him and without the proper help couldn't stop what happened. He was a true victim, more so then any of the other unsubs.

numb3rschick

[23]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 7
    BAUCTU wrote:
    I don't think there is much we need to analyse on this one. PTSD is a terrible thing that so many people have to live with. He didn't choose what happened to him and without the proper help couldn't stop what happened. He was a true victim, more so then any of the other unsubs.

I agree. This episode was heartbreaking on a lot of levels. He truly needed help after his ordeal and had nowhere to turn for it. It was hard to take in.

BAUCTU

[24]Apr 9, 2007
    So next we have Terence Wakeland from Fear and Loathing. Did we get a reason why he killed them?

doverz

[25]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 9
    I don't think we ever did, but they did say he got fired from a producing spot. So I'm thinking that was the stressor.

BAUCTU

[26]Apr 10, 2007
    doverz wrote:
    I don't think we ever did, but they did say he got fired from a producing spot. So I'm thinking that was the stressor.

But why such a specific type of victim? I'm going to have to watch this one again see if I've forgotten something.

Finnegan77

[27]Apr 10, 2007
    BAUCTU wrote:
    doverz wrote:

But why such a specific type of victim? I'm going to have to watch this one again see if I've forgotten something.

It was never explained - probably one of those things that had to be cut to make room for the Reid story-line after Revelations. But, then again, physical types don't always have a rational explanation. Ted Bundy targeted women who had a passing resemblance to his girlfriend, but devolved to kill just about anyone. Kemper picked up any girl hitchhikers he could find. Etc.

BAUCTU

[28]Apr 10, 2007
    Finnegan77 wrote:

It was never explained - probably one of those things that had to be cut to make room for the Reid story-line after Revelations. But, then again, physical types don't always have a rational explanation. Ted Bundy targeted women who had a passing resemblance to his girlfriend, but devolved to kill just about anyone. Kemper picked up any girl hitchhikers he could find. Etc.

We might get a deleted scene on the dvd!

Finnegan77

[29]Apr 10, 2007
    Oh, I have GREAT hopes for the second season DVDs. 

BAUCTU

[30]Apr 10, 2007
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Oh, I have GREAT hopes for the second season DVDs. 

Me too! Like LOTS of behind the scenes stuff!

It's interesting to see the deleted scenes and how they might have changed the way the episode worked.

Finnegan77

[31]Apr 10, 2007
    Indeed!  If I can get inside the director's/writer's head, I'd do that, but deleted scenes are the next best thing.

BAUCTU

[32]Apr 10, 2007
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Indeed!  If I can get inside the director's/writer's head, I'd do that, but deleted scenes are the next best thing.

Ah, so you're into Franks way of thinking. "I'd love to pick your brains."

Finnegan77

[33]Apr 10, 2007
    BAUCTU wrote:
    Finnegan77 wrote:

Ah, so you're into Franks way of thinking. "I'd love to pick your brains."

Well, you make it sound all icky!

scooterstarr

[34]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    speaking of deleted scenes, perhaps we'll get that elusive cut scene from revelations of the morgan-garcia hug that was on the preview that we never got to see.

Finnegan77

[35]Apr 12, 2007
    Here we go - Revelations.  Crazy ole Tobias, as I like to call him.  Even though it was clearly established in the very first episode of the very first season that Gideon does not believe in multiple personality disorder, everyone jumped on the MPD bandwagon here.  For drama's sake - it was great.  Van Der Beek made Tobias lovable, Charles a menacing torturer, and Raphael a psychotic angel, all wrapped up in one.  I especially liked the little fight the three of them had outside the cabin after they "killed" Reid.

SushiGal

[36]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 8
    BAUCTU wrote:
    The return of Frank has got me thinking about the different types of unsubs we've had throughout the show. There's the ones you feel sorry for (but for the grace of god and all) e.g. Sarah Danlin in Jones, she was as much a victim as the guys she killed. There's the vigilante trying to do the right thing type, e.g. Marvin Doyle in A Real Rain. Then there's the cold-blooded killing for the sake of it type, e.g. Frank in No Way Out. But where would we put someone like the unsub in Ashes and Dust? We didn't atualy find out that much about him. He targeted people who were responsible for L.U.S.T., so in that sense he might be considered the vigilante type unsub. But he chose to target the whole families, not just the 'guily' person. That for me means he can't have the mitigating factor of being a vigilante, but does it mean he is a Frank type unsub? I don't know, I guess maybe I need a few more categories! I know you clever people will be able to help me out here!

Would someone please explain to me what unsubs are? All I can figure out is that they are the "bad guys"....but there has to be more to it than that. Thanks!
    Edited on 04/13/2007 1:36pm

Finnegan77

[37]Apr 12, 2007
    Sure, no problem! The word "unsub" means "unknown subject" - these are the people they are profiling. The BAU team takes the details they learn from examining the crime scenes, the victimology and other information to build up a picture, or "profile" of this unknown subject. Then they know what kind of person to look for.

SushiGal

[38]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 8
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Sure, no problem! The word "unsub" means "unknown subject" - these are the people they are profiling. The BAU team takes the details they learn from examining the crime scenes, the victimology and other information to build up a picture, or "profile" of this unknown subject. Then they know what kind of person to look for.

Thanks very much for the explaination. I'm excited about an upcoming episode called "Open Season".
    Edited on 04/13/2007 1:37pm

Finnegan77

[39]Apr 12, 2007
    SushiGal wrote:
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Thanks very much for the explaination. I'm excited about an upcoming episode called "Open Season".

We'd love to talk with you about it in the "Upcoming Episodes - Speculation" thread! Come join the fun!
    Edited on 04/13/2007 1:38pm

BAUCTU

[40]Apr 13, 2007

I was going to suggest we should discuss the unsub from HAT but maybe it would be best of we let the pain die away a little first!

So how about Mark Gregory from Charm and Harm!